PDA

View Full Version : Californians, help please

Karen
09-30-2010, 11:12 PM
I had an email from someone in Upland, CA - the vet they go to told them it would be $500 to remove a growth on their 12-year-old Lab's eyelid - it's only on the outside, and doesn't seem to bother the dog, but he did scratch it once and it bled of course, so they'd like to get it removed. Anyone anywhere near there know a good, trustworthy vet they could see for a second opinion?

It seems a lot for a simple procedure, and I told them a second opinion couldn;t hurt, and I'd ask you folks!

caseysmom
10-01-2010, 12:15 AM
Sorry Karen that is 7 hours from me, I believe that is near LA. There must be a lot of vets they can call and ask for a second opinion over the phone? Word of mouth is always better of course.

luckies4me
10-01-2010, 12:38 AM
If the dog requires general anesthesia it usually, in most cases, costs around two hundred. Then you have to factor in pain meds, surgical prep, hospitalization fees, sterile surgical gloves, doctors time, the size of the growth, whether or not it will get sent out for histopathology, pain medication and anti-inflammatories after surgery etc, plus the office call fee. It does add up. Given the dogs age, they may want to think twice about putting the dog under anesthesia. Perhaps they can ask about using telazol/torb/ace and a local anesthetic instead as that would lower their cost as well as the dog's risk of dying under anesthesia. A 12 year old lab is def at high risk of complications should it go under. It is eldery and frail.

luckies4me
10-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Also, if they have financial concerns perhaps they can apply for Care Credit and find a clinic nearby that excepts it. Again tho, given the dogs age, and if the tumor is nothing more but a mild nuseunce (sp?), I'd recommend forgoing the procedure. There are soft blow up e-collars that work very well in limiting a dog from scratching the face, but still allow the animal to eat and drink without too much difficulty.

kitten645
10-01-2010, 05:10 AM
Eight plus hours from me. That sounds excessive though. Any Socal pt'ers?