PDA

View Full Version : Sister Wives

NicoleLJ
09-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Anyone Watch it last Sunday? What was your thoughts?

NicoleLJ
09-30-2010, 03:03 PM
For those not familiar with the show here is a link to info about it:

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20420535,00.html

FOr those that are watching it here is info on a police Investigation now being done on them:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39418047/ns/today-entertainment/

Thoughts?

Taz_Zoee
09-30-2010, 03:18 PM
I refuse to watch this. I think it is totally wrong and will make people think it's okay to do this. Just like Nadia Suleman (or whatever her name is) having 8 babies just to get a show on TV.
We kept seeing the commercials for it this past weekend (because I watch TLC a lot) and I kept saying "isn't that illegal???".
I like my reality shows (Kate Plus 8 and 19 Kids and Counting) but this is just not okay IMO.

ETA: I just scanned through the investigation link you posted. So apparently it isn't legal in Utah, as I thought. And he is only legally married to one woman. I still don't get it. What's the point!?!? And the article says he has four wives. The previews I saw only showed three.:confused:

Cataholic
09-30-2010, 05:23 PM
If it works for them....not my cup of tea (or teas, LOL), but if they are happy, self supporting and productive members of society, whatever.

NicoleLJ
09-30-2010, 05:38 PM
the shows are about him courting and then marrying a 4th.

Karen
09-30-2010, 06:55 PM
The show likely exists to try to capitalize on the popularity of the fictional show "Big Love" on HBO, which has been running for 4 seasons.

Polygamy is illegal, but still practiced by certain members of a branch of the Latter Day Saints, commonly called the Mormoms. The Mormom church outlawed polygamy many years ago, but the religious belief and practice obviously still carries on, but "in secret."

How they ever thought they could have a TV show about it and NOT get prosecuted is beyond me, it's not like they blur out anyone's faces or anything.

NicoleLJ
09-30-2010, 07:01 PM
Actually they are not a sect of the Mormon religion. They are whats called either the fundamentalist Mormons or the reorginazed Mormons. Which are as different from mormons as Cathlics are from Prodastants(sp?). The LDS (mormons) church actually disallowed the practice of plural marriage in 1890 so that Utah could become a state. Anyone who is proven to practice plural marriage in the LDS religion is excommunicated from the church.

Not saying a agree or disagree with plural marriage. Just wanted to make that clear so that people did not think they were members of the mormon religion.

Karen
09-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Yes, that's why I said they were a branch, they are no longer part of the Mormom church, they branched off. But they believe they are more closely following Joseph Smith's religion, and the Mormoms are wrong, right?

NicoleLJ
09-30-2010, 07:13 PM
sorry must have misread your post. Been a long day. Yup they believe they are following the religion more closely to what Joshep Smith wanted. Where the mormons think they are.

Grace
09-30-2010, 07:23 PM
I want to know why plural marriages are always one man with multiple women? Why can't it be reversed - one woman with multiple husbands?

Most likely because the LDS is a patriarchal religion - like the Roman Catholics. Beware of organizations run by men :)

caseysmom
09-30-2010, 07:50 PM
I watched a show on the discovery health channel about a lady with 2 husbands, she got pregnant by the second husband and the first husband had to babysit while they both went to work everyday, I king of enjoyed the show;) It was called strange sex.

wombat2u2004
09-30-2010, 10:37 PM
I want to know why plural marriages are always one man with multiple women? Why can't it be reversed - one woman with multiple husbands?

Because most women only need one man.
On the other hand, men need more than one woman. :D

NicoleLJ
09-30-2010, 10:51 PM
THe most shocking comment that one of the wives stated was that they are told if a man has 2 wives and there are problems to bring in a third and she will even it out. HUH???

blue
09-30-2010, 11:28 PM
AM I out of line by saying the .GOV should stay out of marriage?

Oh more then one wife/husband is taboo, this should be good TV. Realy, Ill watch reruns of the A Team instead.

Sorry but JackAss is more reality TV then what is labled as Reality TV.

moosmom
10-01-2010, 08:16 AM

AMEN GRACE!!!!!!!

Although I gotta say, I had a husband and wasn't crazy about him after living with him for 4 years. I would think it would be impossible to satisify all those men, do their laundry, cook, clean, etc.

I'll stick with shows like Dr. Phil, CSI, etc.

They can have that program that promotes polygamy. It's pure BULL$#IT!!!

Taz_Zoee
10-01-2010, 09:42 AM
THe most shocking comment that one of the wives stated was that they are told if a man has 2 wives and there are problems to bring in a third and she will even it out. HUH???

So now they are bringing in a fourth? LOL Did they have problems among the three so they bring in another? Ridiculous!!! Soon he'll have 20 wives!

Asiel
10-01-2010, 01:45 PM
So now they are bringing in a fourth? LOL Did they have problems among the three so they bring in another? Ridiculous!!! Soon he'll have 20 wives!

Good point Taz_Zoee...as you said before, I also refuse to watch garbage like that. If they lost their viewers the might reconsider showing trash like this on the telly. Gotta be pretty desperate to watch that kind of garbage....one reason I rarely watch anything, most of what I see advertised is garbage.

Marigold2
10-01-2010, 08:51 PM
I don't have a problem with a man having several wives or girlfriends or whatever you want to call them. I have a problem with them having children.

wombat2u2004
10-03-2010, 03:57 AM

20 wives ???? Lucky bugger. ;)

Marigold2
10-03-2010, 10:50 AM
Down Wom down boy.

Remember they cost a pretty penny too. All that food, cloths (you probably would have your wives run around half naked) and then all those kids, diapers, school.
The smart man has 20 wives and no kids.

20 wives ???? Lucky bugger. ;)

NicoleLJ
10-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Has anyone watched tonights episodes? WOW. The first and third wife are having a really hard time with him courting a new wife. How much does he honestly care about their feelings? Because to me it looks like they are just accepting this because it is expected of them and not because they honestly want to. They are seeming to be putting on smiles when they are honestly crying inside.

wombat2u2004
10-04-2010, 03:57 AM
Down Wom down boy.

Remember they cost a pretty penny too. All that food, cloths (you probably would have your wives run around half naked) and then all those kids, diapers, school.
The smart man has 20 wives and no kids.

I'd number them.
Send No.1 to 10 to work, No.11 to 17 would run the household.
No.18 to 20 would be there to attend to my every wish and desire...hee hee

Marigold2
10-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Do the #'s change, can one girl be a 17 one week and a 3 the next?

Marigold2
10-04-2010, 08:19 PM
I want to be # 1 in a man's life. Not # 7 or 12.
In fact I think it should be opposite. I think one women should have several men.
One who makes gobs of money.
One who is a plastic surgeon
One who is dentist
One who is a makeup artist
One who loves shoe shopping
One who loves cloths shopping
One who loves to travel and knows 5 or 6 different languages
One who loves to cook
One who loves to clean
One who is a landscaper
And 7 for the bedroom, one for each night of the week.
So I guess that is 17, I will make it an even 20 just for good measure.

Has anyone watched tonights episodes? WOW. The first and third wife are having a really hard time with him courting a new wife. How much does he honestly care about their feelings? Because to me it looks like they are just accepting this because it is expected of them and not because they honestly want to. They are seeming to be putting on smiles when they are honestly crying inside.

wombat2u2004
10-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Do the #'s change, can one girl be a 17 one week and a 3 the next?

Oh yes.....they'll be on rotating shifts.
Just for my pleasure :p:p

Twisterdog
10-04-2010, 11:50 PM
I want to be # 1 in a man's life. Not # 7 or 12.
In fact I think it should be opposite. I think one women should have several men.
One who makes gobs of money.
One who is a plastic surgeon
One who is dentist
One who is a makeup artist
One who loves shoe shopping
One who loves cloths shopping
One who loves to travel and knows 5 or 6 different languages
One who loves to cook
One who loves to clean
One who is a landscaper
And 7 for the bedroom, one for each night of the week.
So I guess that is 17, I will make it an even 20 just for good measure.

Oh HECK no. I can barely put up with ONE man's BS sometimes! :rolleyes:

Marigold2
10-17-2010, 05:12 PM
You know I saw them on Harpo and they seem like nice, happy and normal people. The kids seemed happy and content. I mean who am I to judge, I have no right, so I won't.