PDA

View Full Version : Cat Food

NicoleLJ
09-26-2010, 02:18 PM
http://bluebuffalo.com/products/cats/index.shtml

Above in the link to the Blue Buffalo food for cats. Right now Zen is eating Whiska's Kitten food. We want to switch him to one of the kitten foods by Blue. But they have several different ones. I am wondering if anyone uses any of the Blue cat food products. And if so which do you prefer?

I was considering putting him on the Wilderness one like Sheena but I wanted to get opinions first.

mrspunkysmom
09-26-2010, 02:56 PM
I switched to BLUE from Innova (which was good) recently and my kitties love it. They actually eat the food and not just the gravy. I use the dry and occasionally some canned. I do feed MaxCat canned. small ones, and the cats like that too. I do not use MaxCat dry foods. I recently switched from Fancy Feast canned food, which was causing problems. The critters were also finicky about which flavors. They were trying to tell me something.

I use BLUE Buffalo and Wilderness. They have not expressed a preference except mine like Chicken. Don't know why. They will even eat the canned chicken with no dietary complaints. It appears that all dietary issues have been resolved since the switch.

I buy Blue Kitten for a local cat rescue and have received no complaints. The Store manager that runs the rescue insists that new purrents feed the cats with Blue, Eagle Pack, or Wellness.

Good Luck

Freedom
09-26-2010, 03:39 PM
I switched my cats to Taste of the Wild a year ago this month. They LOVE it!

You can't go wrong with a high quality grain free food, IMO. It is closer to their natural diet than anything other than feeding raw.

I didn't see a Blue specifically for kittens, so that part of your post got me a bit confused. But as I said above, anything in this line is better than the grocery store food.

Blue did have some with brown rice; I would go grain free. Oh, I said that already, lol.

Cats need a high water content in their diet; they just don't visit the water bowl as often as a dog will. So some canned food should be included on a regular (daily or every other day) basis. Keep to the same high quality brands.

Here is a link to a rating for cat foods. The biggest issue I have with this listing: it is done in alpha order. So you have to look at each listing to check the rating ( 4 stars out of 5 or 2 stars out of 5) to find the better foods. This makes it time consuming.
http://www.petfoodratings.net/cats.html

This link (same web site) gives a quick reference and is lots easier to pick out the highly rated foods, but then you have to click for the details.
http://www.petfoodratings.net/cattable.html

You won't find Blue on the list, unfortunately. But I DO know that is a high quality food, good choice.
Edit: just saw in the Guest Book, someone asked them to add Blue Buffalo, on Sept 23, lol.

Catty1
09-26-2010, 04:10 PM
I now feed my boys a Canadian grain-free food called now (with an umlaut over the o). They likely have a kitten formula too, and a wet food.

Origen is also grain free and made in Alberta. Though not the fault of the food itself, it caused cat deaths and illnesses in Australia because of Australia's mandatory irradiation of all imported pet food (now revoked, I believe).

BTW - my vet and staff are total fans of grain-free food; they only wish that the food available from them was the same.

catmandu
09-26-2010, 04:20 PM
I have tried so many foods over the years and an mow with Science Diet mixed with Pro Plan and Nutro Max.
For canned I use the Our Compliments , especially the Turkey and Giblets which with water is waht Michael LOVES.
Since Zen is a New Kitten you can go to purina.com an enroll Zen and recieve a free 3.5 pound bag of Pro Plan Kitten and a 15 pound container of premiuim Cat litter.
I would call Science Diet 1 800 445 5777 and Nutro to see what coupons they might send for Zestful Zen!

mrspunkysmom
09-26-2010, 05:11 PM
I switched my cats to Taste of the Wild a year ago this month. They LOVE it!

I didn't see a Blue specifically for kittens, so that part of your post got me a bit confused. But as I said above, anything in this line is better than the grocery store food.

Blue did have some with brown rice; I would go grain free. Oh, I said that already, lol.

Blue Kitten (http://www.bluebuffalo.com/products/cats/healthy-growth-chicken.shtml)

Blue Longevity for Kitten (http://www.bluebuffalo.com/products/cats/longevity-kitten.shtml)

Plus, Blue Basic Limited Ingredient Diet (http://www.bluebuffalo.com/products/cats/basics-for-cats-turkey.shtml)

I get my Blue at PetSmart.

Mine are so finicky that I'm sticking with Blue. If I was confusing before, I read why. My earlier post was confooseling. I switched both DRY and CANNED. Now they actually eat the whole can. I introduced Blue with a small bag left in the hallway as a snack station. Now they just love it.

I can't believe I have to outsmart 10 pounds of fluff time 3. Who's in charge here?

catmandu
09-26-2010, 05:19 PM
WE Cats are, thats how we get Dad to cook up steak!
Liver is very good for a Kitten like Zen too, and a nice piece of salmon as well!!!!

krazyaboutkatz
09-26-2010, 09:08 PM
I had to recently switch my cats food once again because they weren't doing well on it. In fact I'm going to start a thread about it. They used to be on Innova Evo but then Procter & Gamble took over and I just don't trust this company. Then they were on Natural Instinct but for some reason everyone except for Sky became sick on the dry. My new kittens were on Natural Balance Green Pea & Chicken which is grain free but I recently found out that it has way too many carbs. No wonder my cats were never full and satisfied after eating it.

I just recently changed everyone to Wellness Core dry which is very high in protein and is grain free. I feed everyone a lot less of it and they are finally satisfied. Even Alani & Blaze will sometimes leave food in their bowls because it fills them up. They also poop less too which means their bodies are using more of the food. They also love all of the grain free Wellness canned foods too but I'm also feeding them Nature's Variety Instinct and some Natural Balance until I use these up. I am a huge fan of grain free cat food. It's much better for cats and will help them remain healthier throughout their lives. Good luck.:)

Freedom
09-27-2010, 08:28 AM
. I am a huge fan of grain free cat food. It's much better for cats and will help them remain healthier throughout their lives. Good luck.:)

Ditto! :D

Cataholic
09-27-2010, 11:15 AM
We switched the herd over to Orijen without any issue. The food is kind of stinky, IMO. But they all seem to like it. I do give them all a tablespoon of wet friskies or whatever is on sale, in the am (a habit I am so sorry I started!!!), and they graze on dry throughout the day.

Once my cats hit 8 or so months, my vet said there wasn't any 'need' to keep them on kitten food, as long as the food was a decent brand.