PDA

View Full Version : Rutherford's story

jenluckenbach
10-26-2002, 06:27 AM
Rutherford and Fern's story go hand in hand because they were adopted on the same day, May 24, 1997. But we will focus on Rutherford.
The "why" behind adopting 2 cats is a sad story all by itself. It was early May, 1997, and a normal day off for my husband and me, playing with our 6 cats before leaving for errand running. Upon our return we discovered our 14 year old cat Thumper, under the table DEAD. An awful sight especially since he was not sick. Very mysterious, heart attack we suspected. Now for the double blow, 5 DAYS later, our beloved Brighteyes, our first cat,also 14,was having problems breathing. It was 6 a.m. and I knew she was suffering so it was off to the after hours emergency clinic. Good bye, sweet girl. We'll miss you. You'll always be our first.
Now that we are a 4 cat household, there was too much emptiness and grief. On the upcoming Memorial day weekend we knew that a local shelter, that was an all foster home organization, would be having their "Kitten Kapers", an event that brought their cats together in one rented building for the public to see. We had already picked out 2 names, Ruth and Fern, after 2 freinds of ours. We figured we'd take 2 cats that were already bonded to each other so they would have that relationship as they got better acquainted with their new family. Well a very special blue and white male cat changed bothe those plans in one fell swoop!
He was a long haired, or would be when he grew back. Matted, so badly we were told, that they had no choice but to shave him to the skin. But even with that shaved, bald little body, his personality shone through. His picture perfect little face continually straining at the top of his cage to get closer to us. We kept looking for our 2 "sibling" females but "baldy" would not be discouraged. He would find a way to convince us, that he was our man. (To be honest, it really didn't take much convincing, sometimes you just KNOW!).
[Then we chose Fern-but that's a different story]
Ruth, now Rutherford B. Hayes, turned out to be the sweetest, most lovable and polite cat that has ever walked this planet. Everyone (including a few here on PT) that meets him wants to take him home. His 2 favorite things are being brushed and being petted. Both of which you will tire of before he does. And he always comes, from any where in the house, when you call "Rutherford, my lap is empty!". But he will wait for an invitation to jump up. You must say "You can". Sweet Rutherford, I'd take a dozen, just like you
Thanks for listening.

Cataholic
10-26-2002, 07:42 AM
Hi Jen~ first, how sad to lose both Thumper and Brighteyes so close, and so unexpectedly...:(

Rutherford B. Hayes sounds like a total delight! I love knowing that you let cats pick you (even when you and hubby think you know what you want)...good thing he loves to be brushed so much, you can be sure he will never mat up (not that you would let him even if he hated it). And, same with the pets and love he seeks..since he lives in such a household of animal worshippers. Thanks for sharing the story. Can't wait to hear about Fern's. Do they at least like each other?:)

Miss Meow
10-26-2002, 07:11 PM
That puts pay to the myth that first impressions count! I'm glad you saw through the patchy fur and listened to his calls for you to adopt him :) How could resist a cat whose first loves are brushing and petting? He's lovely, thanks for telling his story.

krazyaboutkatz
10-26-2002, 07:49 PM
Jen, what a wonderful story. I'm so glad that you once again let the cat pick you. Rutherford sounds like he's the purrfect cat. Thanks for sharing his story. :)

Kittensaremylife
10-26-2002, 08:22 PM
Thank you for sharing that story. Rutherford sounds like a wonderful cat. by the sound of it i have one question: Can i have him? :p just kidding you found him first:( but ill get better :D

auggie
10-27-2002, 06:02 AM
Awww, Rutherford!! You stole my heart ther very first time I've seen your picture. http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/catlove.gif
Kittensaremylife, I've already tried that, but Jen won't give him up.
;) Can we at least see more pictures of him? http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/catgood.gif

jenluckenbach
10-27-2002, 08:14 AM
as soon as I get some more scanned. I need to depend on someone else for that. (but I am working on upgrading)

catmandu
01-04-2004, 01:21 PM
That is a wonderful story about Rutherford , and it was great of you to take them both in.And all the people that have seen your Card , really take to Bonnie , Lucas or Rutherford. They think that he is named after Lumpy Rutherfod , of Leave It To Beaver.

jenluckenbach
01-04-2004, 01:24 PM
Actually he was named after a friend named Ruth (he was suppose to be a girl) So he is Rutherford B. Hayes, president! :D

Prairie Purrs
01-04-2004, 02:37 PM
Rutherford sounds like a clone of my Kacey! :D The photo in your sig could be a picture of Kacey. I also was looking to adopt two female cats at a local shelter when Kacey grabbed my attention. And Kacey is the ultimate lap cat who loves everybody. So somehow Rutherford has a Colorado twin! :D

catnapper
01-04-2004, 03:23 PM
OH Jen, what a heartbreaking story that ends so happily! He seems like such a nice kitty and when we are ready to get another one (a long, long time away LOL) we will certainly be adopting another baby from your care.

As for needing things scanned, please send them my way - if you don't have my street address, I can give it to you. I'll send the digital image to you the day I get the photos!

ScantyNebula
01-04-2004, 03:23 PM
What a wonderful story ... sounds like I would like to have a clone of Rutherford here with me now! ;) What a handsome guy he is :)

jenluckenbach
01-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Catmandu bumped this thread up from months ago. So for any new comers who may not realize it, I wrote about 10 stories about the cats. If you have some time and would like to go to search and type STORY in the 1st box, and jenluckenbach in the user name box, click cat general and search titles only, you can find a list of my kitty's stories. :)

ScantyNebula
01-04-2004, 03:41 PM
thanks!! I will check that out most definetely when I get the time!

Killearn Kitties
01-15-2004, 03:22 AM
What an absolute darling Rutherford sounds! Great story. I'll have to to go and read the others!

Barbara
01-15-2004, 05:41 AM
Oh how could I miss this!
Because I look out for your stories Jen. This is another wonderful example: sad and heartwarming at the same time.

Rutherford sounds like everybody's dream kitty. Soft and cuddly and so polite.

I think nobody here could just imagine you to have only 4 cats:eek:

ChrisH
01-18-2004, 02:37 PM
Jen, thanks for telling us the wonderful story on how sweet Rutherford came into your life.:)

Please give him a big kiss for me.:D

Steffi N
01-18-2004, 06:22 PM
Jen, isn't it wonderful knowing you never need have an empty lap. Sounds like Rutherford knew exactly what you needed after the unhappy loss of Brighteyes and Thumper. Thank you for Rutherford being such a persistent and lovable boy.