PDA

View Full Version : It Was No Fight

lizbud
09-23-2010, 10:23 AM
It was animal cruelty, plain & simple.:mad: Sometimes I wonder why
animals continue to trust humans.:( :(

Man arrested after picking fight with pet parrot
Published - Sep 22 2010 05:45PM EST

ANN ARBOR, Mich. — A 49-year-old Jackson man has been arrested in Ann Arbor following a fight with the pet parrot carried in his backpack. Police told Annarbor.com for a story Wednesday that witnesses reported the colorful bird was shaken so violently that its feathers were scattered.

Three 911 calls were made following the Tuesday night incident. Lt. Renee Bush said the parrot was "squawking loudly" when officers arrived.

But the bird was fighting back, leaving one of its owner's thumbs "scratched and bloodied."

The parrot suffered a red eye and bald patches. Bush said it also was limping.

The owner told officers he was disciplining and training the bird. He was being held in the Washtenaw County Jail pending charges.

lvpets2002
09-23-2010, 10:48 AM
:mad: How so disgusting & so very sad.. Lock that dude up with out the key of release.. Oh yes in a room of monsters to shake him till hell comes..

:( Poor baby bird & I sure hope this baby gets well soon & finds a good new loving home..

Karen
09-23-2010, 11:08 AM
I hope he is barred from owning a bird until he completes some mandatory training and community service, and that the bird gets rehomed.

sana
09-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Good ending for the madman. Sorry to hear the parrot had to go through such a lot. :(

Medusa
09-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Odd but we probably don't think of birds as being abused when we think of animal abuse. I hope the bird is turned over to a rescue. He'll just get more of the same if he goes back to that guy.

Grace
09-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Odd but we probably don't think of birds as being abused when we think of animal abuse. I hope the bird is turned over to a rescue. He'll just get more of the same if he goes back to that guy.

The bird is recovering after being turned over to a rescue volunteer - that's from an article in our local paper. It happened in Ann Arbor - just a few miles from where I live.

Marigold2
09-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Poor sweet baby. How frightened he must have been, locked in that cage and fightening for his life.
Hope that guy gets what he deserves tomorrow.

lizbud
09-23-2010, 04:37 PM
The bird is recovering after being turned over to a rescue volunteer - that's from an article in our local paper. It happened in Ann Arbor - just a few miles from where I live.

Thanks for that info Grace. I wondered, and hoped, that the Parrot would
not be given back to that crazy man. When I first read the article, I thought
the writer was treating this as a comical event, when it was anything but.

I hope the bird can be get over his trauma and finds the good home he deserves.

Catherinedana
09-24-2010, 06:56 AM
OMG I don't believe people, I really don't. Oh, yes - that's a fabulous way to train a parrot. A creature that is so intellegent and sensitive that he will carry this event with him for the rest of his life.

Bird abuse is VERY common because people often get frustrated when they bring home a bird and it doesn't sit quietly in its cage until it is supposed to ask for a cracker. I could tell you HORROR stories but I won't. If I was up there in Ann Arbor, I would take that bird, I really would. :mad:

Grace
09-24-2010, 10:17 AM
The latest news -

A Jackson man accused of violently shaking his pet parrot Tuesday on an Ann Arbor street has a lengthy criminal record, including convictions for third-offense domestic violence and assault with a dangerous weapon, Washtenaw County court records show.

Christopher Alan Turpen, 49, was arraigned Wednesday at the Washtenaw County Jail on charges of animal torture and delivery of marijuana.

Turpen can't be released because he is being held for authorities in Sarasota, Florida, who have a warrant charging him with assault and battery, jail officials said this afternoon.

Ann Arbor police say Turpen, who kept the parrot in his backpack, shook it violently as its feathers flew, causing enough commotion for three witnesses to call 911. Officers arrested Turpen on South Main Street at 9:30 p.m. and found an unspecified quantity of marijuana in his backpack, Lt. Mark St. Amour said.

Turpen claimed he was disciplining and training the bird, police said. According to police, the parrot fought back, leaving one of Turpen's thumbs scratched up and bloodied.

The bird was turned over to an animal rescue volunteer and was examined by a veterinarian. It had a cut on its head and bruising on one leg, around an eye and on its wings, authorities said.

Records show Turpen lived "on and off" for 15 years with his three children and their mother, including in northeast Ann Arbor during the 1990s. He worked as a roofer until he fell off a roof and was injured, records show.

According to court documents, Turpen drank heavily and has a history of being physically abusive to the mother of his children. She twice obtained personal protection orders against him.

After their relationship fell apart in the late 1990s, records show she began dating another man, and Turpen didn’t approve. Turpen was convicted in 2003 of assault with a dangerous weapon after he confronted the man outside an apartment complex in northeast Ann Arbor and cut him in the nose with a knife, records show.

Turpen's criminal record dates back at least 15 years, including other convictions for intimidating a witness, first-degree retail fraud, second-degree retail fraud and violating probation.

Records show that in 1999, a Superior Township woman obtained a personal protection order against Turpen after she asked him on a date to her class reunion. According to a letter she wrote in her application for that order, Turpen drank heavily at the reunion and "leaned over me and bit me on the shoulder and above my left breast."

She wrote Turpen was looking for someone to beat up and then harassed a deejay, swearing at her when she attempted to calm him down. She called 911 and police responded, records show.

Turpen is scheduled to return to court for a preliminary hearing on Sept. 29.

Lee Higgins covers crime and courts for AnnArbor.com. He can be reached by phone at (734) 623-2527 and e-mail at [email protected].