PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl to CD - anyone done this?

Freedom
09-22-2010, 01:45 PM
My FAVORITE music is on vinyl. OK so if you don't know what that means, you are too young, no need for you to keep reading! :D

I do have a turntable to listen to my music. I have often wanted to get it onto a CD. One option is to "re- purchase" all of it. :rolleyes:

I had seen an "all in one" unit for several years. Running about $200, it includes the turntable and anything you play it records onto CD. It is all built in. Most of them, I don't think you actually hear the music as the machine is working. Like this: (this one does a lot more than I would bother purchasing)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007LA9EE/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001ECQ6P6&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WZJGW0NYRWWBRJY4H4N

Last evening, I found one that connects by USB to your computer. You play the record into the computer, and then burn your CD from your computer. My computer does have this capability; I tried to use it once and couldn't figure it out, but that is a separate story.
http://www.lakeside.com/USB-Turntable/details.asp?I=TDT&Ntt=turntable&N=36&Nao=0&R=897434015TDT4

For $70, I am REALLY tempted!

Has anyone else made this transfer? Anything I need to consider?

Only issue I see is, this $70 one won't handle the 45's. I'll cope!

Prairie Purrs
09-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Yes, I have a turntable that connects to the computer, and I've converted a bunch of albums to Mp3. Seventy dollars is a very good deal, as mine cost about twice that much.

For me, there was some time involved in using the included software (Audacity, which I believe is also available online) to break up the tracks so I could import them as individual songs into iTunes. But if you're just planning to record a CD, I would imagine that you could skip that step.

The other thing to keep in mind is that any skips and crackles are recorded. The software can "brush out" the crackles a bit, but the skips are there forever. I actually find the minor glitches kind of charming--they remind me of the old days when vinyl was the entire show. :D

In short, I'd say go for it! You can listen to the CDs and avoid more wear and tear on the vinyl.

wombat2u2004
09-22-2010, 09:05 PM
$70 sounds good. I bought one here for $50, installed the software disc, and then just recorded what I wanted.
I still have a way to go, having about 200 LP's....I'll eventually get them all done.

Freedom
09-23-2010, 09:24 AM
And I have noticed the photo does show a 45, so maybe it will handle them as well, who knows!

Catty1
09-23-2010, 11:09 AM
I have a regular record player and stereo - and a computer friend of mine said that by getting the correct cables, I can just plug the receiver into my computer and record the records from there.

I'll look into it when I really have NOTHING else to do...lol:)