PDA

View Full Version : Chipper and his new perfume... ou d'skunk

ramanth
09-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Mom spotted a skunk in the backyard yesterday morning. She was able to get the dogs inside before they spotted it.

When I got home around 8:30 last night, the skunk had obviously sprayed in the yard. The smell was everywhere. :( I pretty much figured that one of the dogs had tangled with the skunk.

However, when I got inside, the smell was there but wasn't as bad. Dad told me none of the dogs got sprayed, but when he let them out, Chipper found a spot in the yard and rolled for a good half hour. :eek: :rolleyes:

So for some reason he likes the smell of skunk. Joy. :o

Mom's bathing him this morning and de-skunking the house.

If the bath doesn't work, what besides tomato juice do you all recommend?

I'm considering getting Nature's Miracle since I like their carpet cleaner.

My clothes and purse have a lingering odor too... sooo embarressing. :o

The naughty boy...

Here... let me show off my rolling technique..
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/Fur%20Kids/IMG_1006.jpg

So cute...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/Fur%20Kids/IMG_1194.jpg

So innocent...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/Fur%20Kids/IMG_0587.jpg

And of course I had him bathed this past weekend. *sighs*

Freedom
09-22-2010, 08:19 AM
And of course I had him bathed this past weekend. *sighs*

I was JUST WAITING for this line! LOL it was a given, really. They just can't STAND to be our idea of clean, and the skunk was just so happy to help out.

I've never had to deal with it. I know my groomer offers "de-skunking."

Please check the bottle before applying Nature's Miracle; I'm not sure if it can be applied ON the dog's skin or not. And you surely don't want to go from a smelly situation to a vet one!

ramanth
09-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Please check the bottle before applying Nature's Miracle; I'm not sure if it can be applied ON the dog's skin or not. And you surely don't want to go from a smelly situation to a vet one!

Oh no worries! I'm not applying the carpet cleaner stuff on him. This is what I had in mind to try:

http://www.petco.com/product/5988/Nature's-Miracle-Skunk-Odor-Remover.aspx

:)

Mom's bathed him twice. She's going to try a home remedy I found online and I'm going to get something from the store when I get out of work.

Cinder & Smoke
09-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Here's the Details >>>
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/rolleyes.gif

Been there, Done that, http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif with most every dog I've owned -
and a couple I DIDN't own!
(WHY do "visiting dogs" have to find a Skunk at MY house!??)

Here's a very common "Recipe" posted on many sites >>

"Foolproof" Skunk Odor Remover

Paul Krebaum, a chemist for the Molex corporation in Lisle, Illinois,
has developed a foolproof odor remover.
This odor remover works on anything including
decomposing organic matter, fecal matter, urine and skunk spray.

This odor remover is made from simple household ingredients:

* 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide
* 1/4 cup of baking soda
* 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap.

Mix the three ingredients together and use immediately.
The chemical reaction produced from these ingredients
lasts only a limited time.

If you use this formula to remove skunk odor from your pet,
be sure to rinse him off with clean water.
Do not let the solution soak for more than a few minutes.
Multiple Soakings and Rinsings may be needed!

**And do *NOT* mix or store it in a CLOSED Container!!!
The Chemical Reaction builds up Pressure and will cause a
Closed Container to Repture or http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif *BURST*!
Use the mixture Quickly - and Throw Out any leftovers!

And be CAREFUL around the EYES! Solution will BURN in the Eyes!

/s/ Phred .

Taz_Zoee
09-22-2010, 10:20 AM
You will not get the smell out 100% for months. But then again, your dog is a short haired dog. When Zoee got it it took forever. Although, we did not realize it was in her ear for a week. YUCK! But she has two thick coats so for about 6 months after, she smelled any time she got wet. I bathed her tons of times. Several using the recipe Phred posted above and several times with other things I heard worked.
Poor thing was not allowed to sleep on the bed with us that whole time. :(

Also, Chippers may not be as bad since he wasn't directly sprayed. Good luck, and you will actually get used to the smell.......a little. :)

ramanth
09-22-2010, 11:22 AM
I shared that 'recipe' with my mom Phred. I'll have to check back and see if she used it.

The smell is mainly on his head, neck, and shoulders.

cyber-sibes
09-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Oh Chippper! I commented on facebook - Star used to catch & kill a skunk every year or two. We used the Skunk Remedy recipe Phred posted - and it works better than anything else. The key is to use fresh peroxide & baking soda, and a non-degreasing dishsoap (for some reason degreasing stuff like Dawn doesn't work). Still, I have to say, she always did have a slight skunk-odor when it rained right up to the end of her days, lol.

Karen
09-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Oh, Chipper, you just HAd to, didn't you? Lady's Human relies on Nature's Miracle. At least Chipper didn't do what Lady did one time - chased the skunk under his truck, where the skunk sprayed Lady and the exhaust system at once. So he was driving to the store to get a new bottle of the Nature's Miracle shampoo, smelling burning skunk oil from the truck the whole way!

cassiesmom
09-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Oh, Chipper, that's not the best smell. But I really like the pictures of you being cute and innocent! I hope you smell un-skunky again soon!

k9krazee
09-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Micki got sprayed a couple weeks ago, and he STILL stinks! We did the hydrogen peroxide mix.

I've heard embalming fluid with an index of 1 or 2 gets the smell out really well and isn't harmful! How you're supposed to get your hands on it, I'm not sure :P

Ohhh Chips. At least he only rolled in it and didn't get it head on like Micki. He had a visible yellow circle on his chest where he got sprayed.

ramanth
09-23-2010, 06:37 AM
Oh no!! Micki, you goofball! :o

My mom bathed Chips in that solution a couple of times and he still smelled a bit. I picked up the Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover and it neutralized the smell on his neck, shoulders, and chest.

His head still smells, but you have to stick your nose in his face to smell it. He doesn't knock you off your feet when he walks by like he used too. :p:eek::D

ramanth
09-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Well two days after rolling in skunk stink, Chipper's head and left side of his face broke out in sores and scabs which got infected.

Vet's a bit puzzled about what caused it since mom used less than a quart of peroxide in the mixture she made up and he didn't break out in the other areas where he was treated.

Regardless, he's on Benadryl (he's scratching at it) and antibiotics for the next 10 days.

The vet said I also have to pick the scabs and get the dead skin and hair out so it can heal properly. Ick. :o :p

MonicanHonda
09-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Hmm, weird.

I was also going to give Phred's recipe. We used it on Remy because she also did not get sprayed, but stuck her nose somewhere it sprayed. Lol

Roxyluvsme13
09-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Poor Chipper.

I've never had a pet get sprayed by a skunk, *knock on wood,* but my grandpa had a skunk get under his deck and make his whole back porch stink. I went to school and I smelled like skunk. They made me shower and change at school... Miserable experience.

Hope he heals up nicely and becomes less stinky! :p

K9karen
09-28-2010, 09:59 PM
The vet said I also have to pick the scabs and get the dead skin and hair out so it can heal properly. Ick. :o :p

*Sigh* What we don't have to do for our pets.
Poor Chipper. Hope the meds work.
Poor you, too. One of my biggest fears is Logan getting skunked.