PDA

View Full Version : Neighboring Dogs

Karen
09-21-2010, 12:01 PM
What dogs are in your neighborhood?

Do you tend to see a variety of breeds, or is one or another breed more common?

On our street, we have two pug/beagle mixes in different houses, a Lab/dane mix, a pair of Wheatens that just moved here, a little white Riley - I think he's a Lhasa Apso, and larger black Riley - a maybe Lab/Golden mix - her coat is like a Flat Coat retriever, but her size and build is closer to a Golden. So no real pattern ...

We see lots of kinds of dogs being walked over on Commonwealth Ave., too many to count.

Pinot's Mom
09-21-2010, 12:35 PM
On our private drive there is a Chihuahua and a small black and white mixed breed. On the main road there is a new Golden Retriever pup, 2 collies, 2 German Shepherds, a small unidentifiable one that gets carried a lot,a Yorkie and some others I can't remember. All these are seen on walks; none are kept outside.

IRescue452
09-21-2010, 12:38 PM
There is a 13 acre dog park practically in my backyard. I've got every dog for a neighbor.

cassiesmom
09-21-2010, 12:40 PM
I already blathered on and on about my mom and dad's block...
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showpost.php?p=2297990&postcount=1

In my building there's a fawn-colored Pug (Sophie), a fawn Puggle (Rocky), a long-haired black dachshund (Bailey), a Yorkie (Enzo), a tri-color Papillon (Cammie) who I just love to pet; and a red short-haired dachshund that's mean and growls at everyone. 3 other cats on my floor, two more upstairs and one on the first floor.

Asiel
09-21-2010, 12:41 PM
We have four Collies, one Husky, one mixed breed, a Golden, and some kind of Pointer.

Taz_Zoee
09-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Our neighbors have a German Shepherd mix (Freeway), two houses down they have a Boxer (Dodger), the house across from them has dogs but I've never seen them (I've lived here for 7 years:eek:) I believe they are huskies. They may only have one now, but I do hear a dog barking from there more often now than before.
At the end of our court is a German Shepherd (Maddie). Our neighbors behind us have a white Standard Poodle (Bon) and one of their children has a cream Golden that visits. And there are several dogs we see being walked. One is a chocolate Lab and she lets her potty on everyone's lawn. :mad:
So I guess there are only bigger dogs in my area. Or the people with small dogs do not walk them.
Our house backs up to a community park so people take dogs there often. Even though they aren't supposed to be off leash while in the park. There have been PLENTY of times that my dogs are going crazy in the corner (that backs up to the park) because of a dog.

MonicanHonda
09-21-2010, 01:30 PM
I live in a smaller luxury apartment complex. I have seen a beagle, pug, dachshund x2, lab, poodle, sheepdog, chi mix?, and another larger dog mix. I know there is probably a few more.

*LabLoverKEB*
09-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Mostly everyone has either Labradors or Goldens, but there's a pug/beagle mix, a little spaniel mix, 2 rat terriers, 1 Boston terrier mix, 2 mutts & a Pittie cross, 1 Lhasa Apso, 1 beagle, 2 pugs & a Rottweiler (extermely aggressive towards people and other dogs, owners are idiots and have absolutely no control over this dog, never gets walked, animal control is a regular visitor due to attacks, dog should have been put down a long time ago), 1 mini Poodle, and I think that's it!

Freedom
09-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Doggie neighborhood, here. Seems every house has at least one! LOL
Next door: 2 Boston Terriers: Lil Bits and Bacon
This side of my street: one house has 5 Chis: Taco, Paco, Pepe, Maddie and Paxie (sp?)
Fluffy, Lhasa Apso
Across the street: 2 boxers: Princess and Satchi
Cali, Miniature Poodle, apricot coloring, just 4 months old (awwww!)
Ben, Golden Retriever
Marshmellow, Bichon
Tiger, Pittie

My yard backs onto the school yard where lots of folks walk their dogs, so we see plenty of them. And as we walk the neighborhood, we know where most live.

Kia, Akita (friends of ours, though Kia can NOT be trusted around any other animals)( it is pronounced KEYE-ah)
Cookie, Rat Terrier
Sadie, Lhasa Apso
Wilson, Golden Doodle
Bear, Golden Retriever

Names unknown: Maltese, Dachshund, Pittie mix, Black Lab.
LOTS more we see less often.

Strikes me as odd, we have NO GSD's in the neighborhood!

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-21-2010, 04:19 PM
My neighbourhood is loaded with dogs. There is a dog park right across the street from my house, and usually at least 30 dogs a day using it lately.

My neighbours to one side have three dogs: a Dane, a brindle mix of some kind, and a Miniature Schnauzer (who do nothing but bark and howl all day long and attack the fence when I happen to let mine out for a quick bathroom break periodically), and my neighbours to the other side have two dogs (Bichon Frise). Across the alley lives a small white fluffy, and then I hear a few more large dogs barking constantly, but I don't know what they are as I've never seen them. Down the road is a Basset Hound and a fuzzy mix, a pack of Shiba Inus and an Akita, a Samoyed, some Rottweilers, a few GSDs, and a pair of Border Collies. Down the road in another direction there are a few Dobermans (owned by different people), more Rottweilers, quite a few APBTs, a Shar-Pei, lots of Labradors and Goldens, a couple Boxers and a handful of Bichon/Shih-Tzu looking dogs. I regularly see a trio of Boston Terriers as well. And aside from those dogs, there is always a huge assortment at the park too (Sibes, Dogue de Bordeaux, Malamutes, a pair of Rough Collies, a Sheltie, Weimaraners, a Vizsla, a German Shorthaired Pointer, a Standard Dachshund, Mini Dachshunds, a few Poodles, a couple of Dalmatians, a Malinois, a whole bunch of mixed breeds, etc.) So yes, there are tons of dogs in my area, of all shapes and sizes!

Lilith Cherry
09-21-2010, 07:18 PM
In my very small village we have three border collies on the farms, one german shepherd, a siberian husky, a terrier mix, a Jack Rusell, a rotweiler, a poodle mix, a dachshund, a bassett hound, an English Mastiff cross, three black labs, an Australian cattle dog and a Lhasa Apso! and Leo! Not bad for about twenty households;) They are all friendly except the dachshund which hates everyone and barks all the time.

Alysser
09-21-2010, 10:02 PM
My neighbors have 2 dogs, Rex (lab mix) and buddy (shih-tzu). Some people down the street a bit have a shih-tzu named Jasmine. We have alot of smaller dogs on our street including Bichions, Shih-tzu's, and maltese. We have some smaller mutts to but generally the smaller breed. There is a beagle, a boxer, and a greyhound, and some labs too.

3Catcondo
09-21-2010, 10:05 PM
I have 2 shih tzus (spelling?), 2 corgis, dachsund, bulldog, 2 teacup poodles, cocker spaniel, 2 yorkies, jack russell, rottweiler, as neighbors in my court. Sometimes we have 2 bassetts when my neighbor is dog sitting for her sister.

K9karen
09-21-2010, 10:37 PM
One family down the street has a bichon. Another has a white miniture poodle who's ALWAYS getting out unattended. About 5x I had to pull over and ring their bell. The dog is either sniffing around the street or walking on the sidewalk. There's a school being constructed across from them and with all the huge trucks and equipment, they'd never see the dog in enough time to stop. The lady of the house always peeks through her bedroom window and I have to yell that "the dog is out again!" The dog always runs away from me, into their back yard, then runs back to me again, like tag, get me if you can. These people really piss me off.

Back to the question.. a mini Schnauzer lives around the corner, as does a Lab/SharPei mix. Everybody seems to walk their dog down my street but I don't know where they live. Seen 3 Bassetts, a Shepherd, mini poodle, Golden, Akita (who I think lives down the street)

And then, of course, there's my Logan who rules the street!

Louie and me
09-22-2010, 04:04 AM
We're a neighborhood of dogs, some of which I wrote earlier about (Louie's friends) but in total we have- Jack Russel terrier; Standard Poodle; German Sheppard; Yorkie; Bichson; Cavalier King Charles Spaniel; Yellow Lab; Golden Retriever; Shilo Sheppard; Old English Sheepdog and his new friend a Bouvier; Husky; 2 Italian Greyounds. I think that's all - I know all their names too with the exception of the new Bouvier.

sana
09-22-2010, 06:03 AM
My dog, One Down is the only, tame meaning dog owned in my neighborhood. Other than that we have street dogs which includes, a Golden Retriever, a grey colored dog. And my cousins have named them all before, that's because all our street dogs used to pay a daily visit to their house and those dogs used to sleep right outside our garage gate. They are great dogs because they never bite a person, like a neighborhood person, a visitor to our neighborhood is observed very closely ;) Once the golden retriever had puppies, and now we have more street dogs. :D one Down enjoys chatting with the street dogs, once we actually heard a long conversation! :D:cool:

cyber-sibes
09-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Our new neighborhood is fairly secluded place to walk, I thing I've seen most the locals now: I think Hobbs is a Havenese mix - looks like one but he's much too big. Behind us is the newest puppy - I'd never heard of the breed before, but she's a Plott hound + beagle mix. Also see a Golden retriever, an adorable Rat Terrier, a Peke thats with a beagle mix, an ancient GSD, a mastiff mix & rotti mix that live together, occasionally a Bulldog, an old boxer, a boxer/pittie mix, and a Pomeranian ball of fluff. We don't see many other Siberian huskies in RI, although several times I've driven past a man walking a black&white sibe puppy not far from here.

Casper
09-22-2010, 04:30 PM
We share the neighborhood with...

A spoiled little Shih Tzu. :)
Two Cocker Spaniels.
A sweet, little King Charles Spaniel.
A Black/White Springer Spaniel.
One Chocolate Lab.
One Black Lab and a Red/White Border Collie.
A well-behaved -- yet yappy -- little Rat Terrier.
And a Lab mix that looks so much like Ethan that they could almost be twins!

I think that is everyone.

luvofallhorses
09-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Let's see.

There's Lou a pit bull mix next door
Doc the schnauzer
Scout the lab
A mastiff mix I forget his name.

(They all live together)

Some yappy dogs across the street, A rough collie, some doxens down the street and some foo foo dogs lol.

HoochsMommiee
09-23-2010, 02:29 AM
well there are my 3 dogs and the apartment below me they have 3 teen tiny dogs who all in total weigh 22lbs.

there is rocky who is hope's bf and above rocky there is lady a beagle and her brother bruno who is a beauitful boxer and then there is tiki who is a chow

and her brother who is a shar pei

i have seen an older golden around last summer and ther are tons of pits around here and 90% of them i have petted and wanted to steal.. seen some jrt and a lab and some weinrymers (sp?)

dab_20
09-23-2010, 02:39 PM
I live in apartments (very dog friendly which I love!), and most of the dogs are labs. I believe there are... 6-7 lab/lab mixes? There are 3 pit bulls, a BASENJI (That's just cool!), a golden retriever, a few smaller dogs like westies, yorkies, shih tzus, doxies, and chihuahuas. Theres an adorable new vizsla puppy that I love to see as well... and my close neighbor has a new JRT mix puppy. A german shepherd and... that's all I can think of for now. lol

No other poodles or cockers though!

boomersooner
09-26-2010, 10:58 AM
We have two little Boston Terriers....Bucky and Shiner who live next door to us, and Gracie the yellow Lab and Savannah, the Shiba Inu puppy live behind us. In the next block, our friends have a black and white springer named Carson who looks a lot like our Boomer

cassiesmom
02-15-2011, 12:44 PM

In my building there's a fawn-colored Pug (Sophie), a fawn Puggle (Rocky), a long-haired black dachshund (Bailey), a Yorkie (Enzo), a tri-color Papillon (Cammie) who I just love to pet; and a red short-haired dachshund that's mean and growls at everyone. 3 other cats on my floor, two more upstairs and one on the first floor.

I have new neighbors on the first floor, a young married couple, whose dog looks a lot like Twisterdog's! I'm waiting for a time to strike up a conversation and learn more about them and their dog.

Donnaj4962
02-15-2011, 03:51 PM
I live in a historic neighborhood, in the downtown area. Many of the homes have been converted into apartments. But I have a single family house next door and they have a gorgeous brittney spaniel named Maggie. My Sasha kittyloves to sit int he window in the spring and summer and torment her! :D

I see LOTS of people walking their dogs, but the one that stands out the most is the St. Bernard that walks by every evening in the spring and summer. There are also a couple of rotties who live in one of the houses behind mine. They bark at me every time I take my trash out and I can hear them in the summer when the windows are open.

In addition to the doggies, we have some feral kitties who come by to visit... and of course the raccoons and squirrels!

FurkidsMom
02-15-2011, 08:38 PM
We've got several yellow retrievers and labs, some Jack Russells, an American Bull Terrier, a bulldog plus a variety of some-of-this-some-of-that. Love them all!

ryansjones
02-17-2011, 11:55 PM
Well, on my coul de sac, here are some of the dog breeds I am aware of:

My family: 2 dogs: a golden retriever and a bichon frise shizu
other families (based on what I have seen): a small collie (lives across the street), a male border collie, a brown lab mix, a female black lab, a red golden retriever (my golden is a blonde version), a pointer named, Sadie (she usually roams around the neighborhood when her owners are home), as well as another bichon frise shizu named Bella. Down the hill from my house, I haven't seen all of the dogs down there, but some noteworthy ones I have seen includes: another golden retriever, a minature schnauzer, a pomeranian, as well as a red husky (though I haven't seen him in the last year, so I am not sure if the people down the hill have him or not).

pomtzu
02-18-2011, 06:53 AM
I live in the country where most people have very large fenced in yards - 2 acres and up - so you don't get to see folks walking their dogs around here. The neighbor on one side of us has a little fluff ball that looks EXACTLY like Sparky!!! One time he got loose and came over here and I freaked - thinking that Sparky had sneaked out without me knowing. Neighbor on the other side has a couple of dogs that I've rarely seen close up. One is white and resembles a Lab of some sort, and the other is a tan dog about the same size. Occasionally the white one finds an escape route in the fence and comes calling here (and leaves his calling card! :mad:), but always goes back home. There used to be a very old (and mean) Chi there too, but I don't think it's around anymore. The elderly lady behind here has a Sheltie, and her next door neighbor has a couple of Husky/mix looking dogs. Then of course there was that wild and crazy psycho Pitt Bull that was constantly terrorizing us. Thank goodness I haven't seen that maniac in a good long time. I think he finally got picked up by Animal Control, or hit and killed while running down the middle of the road. I don't think his irresponsible owner finally did anything to control him. :mad:
Other than that, I know there's A LOT of dogs around here since I can hear the barking in the nicer weather, even tho I don't actually see them.

sana
02-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Well, in my neighbourhood, now are a few dogs only, they are stray and live around in the streets. And then there's my One Down, :) He loves running around the balcony looking at cars, new things and stuff, and there are a few other animals but my neighbours don't have dogs or pets either :p You all have quite a lot of neighboring pets :)

snakemama
02-18-2011, 12:49 PM
We have a lot of dogs in the neighborhood. I'm thrilled to say that my neighbors with the standard poodle right below us FINALLY moved away! They used to leave the house early and let that dog howl ALL day. We went back and forth about it but they never did anything to stop it! :mad: I was SO glad to see them go! I'm sure Animal Control was happy to stop getting my calls all the time too, LoL.

As for NICE people with dogs, we have a schipperke, several cavaliers, a pug, a dachshund, a puli (!!), a HANDSOME bull terrier, My SIL's Cattle dog/English Shepherd mix, and a big chow mix.

cassiesmom
09-09-2014, 03:36 PM

Rocky and his people moved. Bailey has gone to the Rainbow Bridge. I don't know what happened to Enzo and his person. I just found out that Cammie and her dad are moving to Florida permanently. That breaks my heart because she's so sweet, affectionate and adorable. I heard another of our neighbors tell him yesterday that it's fine if he moves to Florida but he needs to leave Cammie here with us. He just laughed and said she'd love the attention!

Karen
09-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Aww, where we live now there is a young Rhodesian Ridgeback, Reilly, growing up - and up is accurate she just keeps getting taller, and a Shiba Inu who gets walked by several different family members, but is not interested in strangers.

Kfamr
09-09-2014, 05:14 PM
The city (Dunedin) I live in is nicknamed "dog-Eden." So, as you can imagine we have several dog neighbors, most of them I know personally because they are clients at my work!

Karen
09-09-2014, 05:21 PM
The city (Dunedin) I live in is nicknamed "dog-Eden." So, as you can imagine we have several dog neighbors, most of them I know personally because they are clients at my work!

How fun! Sounds like the perfect place for you and your crew, too!

Kfamr
09-09-2014, 05:50 PM
How fun! Sounds like the perfect place for you and your crew, too!

It's pretty neat! We have several murals downtown dedicated to creatures, mostly dogs. You can see them here:http://www.muralsformutts.com/gallery.html

None of my pups are on there, but several I know are!

cloverfdx
09-16-2014, 08:02 AM
We have 2 Sibes next door that try and jump over & go through the fence. So our guys cannot use the back part of their yard.

1 swf that yaps 22 hours a day that lives behind us.

And the SBT & scruffy mutt who used to roam the neighbourhood have "disappeared". And not coming back according to one of the rangers.

Taz_Zoee
09-16-2014, 09:33 AM
Our neighbors have a German Shepherd mix (Freeway), two houses down they have a Boxer (Dodger), the house across from them has dogs but I've never seen them (I've lived here for 7 years:eek:) I believe they are huskies. They may only have one now, but I do hear a dog barking from there more often now than before.
At the end of our court is a German Shepherd (Maddie). Our neighbors behind us have a white Standard Poodle (Bon) and one of their children has a cream Golden that visits. And there are several dogs we see being walked. One is a chocolate Lab and she lets her potty on everyone's lawn. :mad:
So I guess there are only bigger dogs in my area. Or the people with small dogs do not walk them.
Our house backs up to a community park so people take dogs there often. Even though they aren't supposed to be off leash while in the park. There have been PLENTY of times that my dogs are going crazy in the corner (that backs up to the park) because of a dog.

Well, I'll update my response from 4 years ago.
In the house where Freeway lived, we now have two Chihuahua's, Tai and Chi.
Bon still lives behind us, at least I think it is still Bon. Who knows, it could be another white standard poodle.
Dodger has passed away and they now have a little white dog (not sure of the mix, possible bichon) named Ruby.
The house directly across the court has a Chihuahua named Dolly. When they moved in, someone put a huge sign across the garage that said Welcome Home Dolly!
The other neighbors still have a dog that I've never seen................EVER. And now I've lived here for 11 years!

lolli94
09-16-2014, 11:53 AM
I live out in the country. One neighbor, an old farmer, has two dogs, one chow mix and one shepherd mix that roam as they please. Another neighbor has two short and tremendously fat possible bulldog mixes. I only see them outside on a leash occasionally, and they are usually just laying in the grass.