PDA

View Full Version : The stray in our yard had a feast

Randi
09-19-2010, 12:13 PM
I was preparing dinner in the kitchen and as I looked out the window, I saw the stray carrying a huge bird in her mouth - wings still basking. She was on her way to the shed where she has brought her kittens to, recently.

It was in the other end of the yard, so I couldn’t see clearly what bird it was, but my guess is one of the pigeons you see in woods, there are quite a few of them across the road in the churchyard. Poor bird!

Well, she is a good mom bringing her prey to her kittens. I just hope the shelter lady will trap her soon and get her spayed etc! She says, she hasn’t been able to yet. In fact, I think she didn’t make a real effort because she doesn’t want her to be put to sleep. I also believe that in spite of the decision on a board meeting that cats are not allowed in the yard, I don’t think anyone is going to make a big fuss about it. So I hope the shelter lady will get her spayed and put her back. If not, I will have to call them again.

catmandu
09-19-2010, 12:32 PM
I would put a little food out for that Poor Stray Mama Cat:(
I had lunch with My Aunt Joan and as always she brings left overs for Our Porch Cats and like Mgic soon the scraps are all gone!!!:love::love::love:
We hope that that Mam Cat and her Babies are safe soon:cool::cool::cool:

lizbud
09-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Well, babies & mama have to eat too, I suppose. I don't even like to
look when Baby Kitty catches a mouse out in my garage.:(

Do you think you would draw to much attention if you trapped this mama
yourself to bring in for spaying? I can imagine just how many future babies
would be spared a uncertain life outside in the wild.

Randi
09-19-2010, 01:43 PM
She is fed twice every day and lives in a box with blankets in the tool shed which is closed off, so she is safe. The shed is right outside the window of the girl who feeds her for the most part, I have talked to her about the situation, but we have had our arguments about what should be done. She is of the opinion that cats can easily live like that, even in winter, but I say that she should be checked at the vet, have a proper "house" and definately be spayed!

I have suggested to the shelter lady that I try to trap her, but she will/can not lend me a trap, so that is not an option. However, I did get the paper signed last winter to get her trapped, so if nothing happens in the near future, I will surely contact them again! For now she is allright, but it can't go on like this!

Sonia59
09-24-2010, 03:11 AM
I agree that something has to be done. I hope you find a solution.

Laura's Babies
09-24-2010, 06:05 AM
I don't get it... They are there to help and the biggest part is in controlling the off springs. Same thing here.. the groups around here that are there to help, none had time to come do anything about all the strays reproducing in the neighborhood so instead of just having a few to deal with, we ended up with lots to deal with. It took 2 years to get anything done with these in the neighborhood.