PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Needed: Best tools for major shedding??

Nomilynn
09-17-2010, 09:06 PM
I just recently moved to a new apartment. It's crazy warm in the apartment all the time. I have an air conditioner and fans, but the base temperature is still much warmer than I and the girls are used to.

As a result, both Tilly and Nutmeg are shedding like crazy. Even just petting them results in handfuls of fur. It's crazy! I have furballs blowing all over the hardwood, and so I am wondering what PTer's opinions are for the best tools for shedding.

Currently I have a slicker brush and shedding blade, and while they do get out a lot of hair, it seems like I could brush them for hours and the amount of hair coming out wouldn't decrease.

Luckily they both love to be brushed, so it doesn't necessarily have to be gentle.

So.. opinions? What do you swear by?

kitten645
09-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Sorry but part of being a meowmie is just dealing with the fluff. Brush Brush Brush is all I can suggest.:love:

columbine
09-17-2010, 10:20 PM
I used to use a shedding blade on Smudge and follow up with the slicker to pick up all the fluff, but he'd still get tangles. His fur is just so dense and fuzzy that they didn't reach all the way through. Recently I picked up an undercoat comb (http://s.petco.com/Assets/product_images/8/800443099674c.jpg). I was skeptical - it wasn't high-tech or innovative enough for my way of thinking! - but it's perfect. It just reaches through all the fluff and lifts out any incipient mats before they tighten into dreadlocks, and even dislodges the dandruff flakes that nucleate tangles. So sometimes he looks like he's been out in the snow, but it just means he's gotten a good combing!

Love, Columbine

krazyaboutkatz
09-18-2010, 12:22 AM
I use a Furminator and it works great.:) They now sell them for a lot less money and also many pet stores sell the knock offs of this but I forget what they call it. Good luck.:)

Laura's Babies
09-18-2010, 07:25 AM
I bought something years ago called "Shedding tool" and I wore it out using it on mine and had to get another one. Mine all love being groomed and will fight over who's next. I use that on them some but have gotten into the habit of brushing mine several times a day. They love it because it is one on one time with Mommie.

catmandu
09-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Without a dobt, it is the Furminator which we obtained in a gift exchange with Scrappy Two's Meeowmie In Law Pat aka Phesina.
We get enough loose fur from the Furminator to build another Cat some days.:love::love::love:

GoldenLover
09-18-2010, 10:18 AM
You need a generic Furminator. They're made by Safari- they're green with some black rubber grips on them. Works just as well as the real Furminator but is about $30 cheaper (at least!).
We have a very long haired Birman cat and it's the only de-shedding tool that actually works for us!
Also, the Fur cleaner-upper thing that Pledge makes works WONDERS on the couches. It's light blue and clear, and gets all of the hair off of the cloth couch.
:p

Nomilynn
09-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Great, thanks! I will look into the furminator.

GoldenLover, I saw that Pledge product at the store the other day but was totally skeptical. Maybe I will go give it a try! :)

Abby&Buddy'sMom
09-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Definately the Furminator! I can furminate my girl Abby, and it seems I collect enough sheddings to make another whole cat. They work great:)

Nomilynn
09-21-2010, 08:59 PM
It has cooled down a bit and that seems to help. I'm more concerned that they are uncomfortable than I care about the furball tumbleweeds :p

I used the slicker brush and got a ton of fur from each of them, so until I find the Furminator I'll just keep doing that. Luckily they love it!

Abby&Buddy'sMom
09-22-2010, 05:15 AM
I bought my furminator on QVC . Im sure they are sold in regular stores too.

lvpets2002
09-22-2010, 02:45 PM
:) Yes the Furminator works Great..

I use a Furminator and it works great.:) They now sell them for a lot less money and also many pet stores sell the knock offs of this but I forget what they call it. Good luck.:)