PDA

View Full Version : Experience bottle baby people..New pic's post 27

Laura's Babies
09-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Caramella again. She has the potty thing down to a art and uses it like she has been doing it all her life. She STILL is not interested in eating anything she should eat. Now put down a green bean or a potato chip and she is right on it eating.. NO! I am NOT feeding her those things, I did the green bean because she acted interested and I wanted to see if she would eat it and she did! Today Rie was here and was eating pototo chips and Caramella went right to it and proceeded to take a bite. LOL! That PROVES to me she CAN eat but everything "cat" related she will not attempt to even try.. I have tried canned kitten food, Science diet kitten food soaked in water then milk and she will take it pureed in milk, in her bottle, and I have tried baby food turkey and she will not eat it unless in a bottle, mixed with milk!

She has got to be at least 5 weeks old (?) and she has had teeth for about 2 weeks. I tried putting her in her cage last night without a bottle and a plate of kitten canned food and left her to go to bed. She had not touched the food on the saucer and was sceaming for her bottle when I came in here this morning. I tried to get her to eat from the plate and no luck! I even tried her with the big girls canned food... NOT!

Is she just to young or have I just not hit on something she likes.

I have more time with her, I will not be going back to work with my crew this crew change on the 22nd..... see my thread in other, general...

columbine
09-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Maybe if you went the other direction, and gave her a piece of roast chicken or fish? She seems to go for something she can sink her teeth into. Just a random guess, though - I've never taken care of a bottle baby.

Love, Columbine

Taz_Zoee
09-15-2010, 08:50 PM
I agree with Columbine. I was gonna say give her dry food. Just try one piece and see what happens. If you think it's too tough for her put water in it but don't let it get all soggy.

dehlers43
09-15-2010, 09:10 PM
My little ones just loved Royal Canin Baby Kibble...looks sort of like Grape Nuts...

Laura's Babies
09-15-2010, 10:30 PM
I tired it dry and she totally ignored it, tried it soaked in both water and milk first, she wouldn't even sniff those. Only made into puree with milk will she take in but it HAS to be in a bottle! I hope this don't mean she is going to be extremely finicky!

kittycats_delight
09-15-2010, 11:38 PM
Laura, why not try the food that is most like human food. In other words try things like fancy feast grilled chicken for example. It is like real pieces of chicken in a sauce. If that doesn't cut it try some tuna in oil and see what she thinks of that. She may very well be a finicky little one and you may have to go through a ton of different flavors and textures before she finds something she likes.

Oh another thing to give a go with it liver. Frost is my most picky eater. Nothing for him but Royal Canin Fit 32 and Royal Canin Sensible 33 mixed together. He will literally starve himself if he doesn't have those exact foods. And he will only eat kibble. But, if I have liver he cries for it. It's the ONLY other thing he will ever eat besides HIS kibble.

Keep trying girl some of the little ones can be really fussy. The answer is to try, try and try again. Different flavors, different textures, different brands and same goes for the kibble different flavors, different brands and different size kibble. Keep us posted.

Laura's Babies
09-16-2010, 07:59 AM
Thanks.. I was planning to go out today to find something! Just didn't know where to start. I will try some of each of that. My older girls won't touch anything in gravy or not mushed all up.. they don't like the chopped stuff in grave, maybe that is what she will eat.

smokey the elder
09-16-2010, 08:06 AM
The Friskies Prime Filets food looks like people food; she might like that. What a little fussbudget! Usually kittens, once they're weaned, eat like horses. I've never had a fussy kitten.

Randi
09-16-2010, 08:33 AM
I don't know much about bottle babies. I'm sure at that age they need some kitten food. However, if your vet agrees, try Royal Canin Sensitive. Fister loves it and Killiarn Kitties do too. Another one Fister loves is Royal Canin's Calm, but I don't give him much of that.

Good luck finding what she likes and what is good for her! :)

moosmom
09-16-2010, 08:44 AM
I'm pet sitting for a 9 week old kitten who has to have 500 mg of Lysine 2 times a day. What I do is give her the powder from a capsule mixed in with Whiskas Pouch Chicken or Fish. Just enough to get the medicine in her. Then I give her a full dish of the other stuff. Works like a charm!!

Butchie is a food whore and I am his pimp. He LOVES potato chips, apple turnovers (the filling), just about ANYTHING I'm eating. I refuse to eat standing up so I put him in my bedroom till I'm done. Gotta love that boy!!

Sorry, didn't mean to get off point here. Put down a can of kitten food with KMR over it. Try putting a little bit on a teaspoon, open her jaw with the spoon, and get it so that some of it is on the roof of her mouth. Keep doing it till she gets the idea. It took me 24 hours to wean Molly.

Freedom
09-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Laura, thank you for a good laugh this morning!

I have never dealt with a bottle baby, so I can't offer any suggestions.

But when I read this:

She STILL is not interested in eating anything she should eat. . . . she CAN eat but everything "cat" related she will not attempt to even try.. . . . and was screaming for her bottle when I came in here this morning

all I could think was: Little Squirt is training YOU!!!! :D

She wants to be held and cuddle and nice and warm and hand fed by mommy, hahaaa.

catmandu
09-16-2010, 09:47 AM
I would try a bit of Chicken or maybe warm some Chicken Soup or brooth that is salt reduced and see if Caramella will eat that. Or maybe some Roast beef with gravy, of a piece of minced fish!!:love::love:
Our Cats certainly have us jumping through hoops and loving it.:love::love::love:

Catlady711
09-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Give her some more time, but keep putting a dish of wet kitten food in her cage though.

Josh was a bit finiky at first. He started to eat from a bowl like his sisters, but then regressed back to wanting the bottle for a time. Took some time but he finally decided that it was better to eat from the bowl rather than waiting for me to fix him a bottle.

Laura's Babies
09-20-2010, 06:04 AM
Back to her food training..LOL!

fancy feast grilled chicken for example.
I got some of that and she wouldn't even sniff it, completely ignores it. (I tried giving it to the grown up girls and they wouldn't touch it either!:rolleyes:)I even baked a chicken and tried her on some of that. She would lick it but not once did she try to eat it.

OK, I figure it is time to try some "tough love" so last night, I didn't give her the night time bottle and I had a can of adult Friskies cat food and put her a dish of that in the cage with her overnight. When she heard me up here this morning, she didn't start screaming for food and her tummy was plump. When I let her out of the cage, she went right into playing instead of screaming for something to eat. I think I just been keeping her to full from the mush in her bottle, maybe to the point of over feeding her so I am going to back down on how much I am giving her in the bottle and start caging her with food when I know she is hungry.

She is doing everything a big girl does now, except for the eating thing.. Time to get "tough!"

lvpets2002
09-20-2010, 11:32 AM
:) Guess what Laura = I am getting renewed on bottle baby feeding.. I went to the County Humane Society Meeting this past Tues Night & after the meeting we was called on to pickup a 4 day old kitten that the mother had not been seen in two days.. So I have & am bottle feeding this baby now too.. Its a black wittle girl.. She is 10 days old today & just got her eyes open.. Her eyes look Blue.. I will take pics soon.. I tell you what the lack of sleep at night for feeding is about to get to me.. But she is worth it..

Laura's Babies
09-20-2010, 01:21 PM
I have enjoyed every moment with Caramella SO much! I realize now that she was a gift to me from God to put my focus on something else besides all this medical stuff I have going on and not being able to work. What would cheer me up anymore than a KITTEN? God sure is SMART!!

Caramella has discovered she has teeth and she is bitting at everything in the house now. The other day she grabbed her play buddy with her teeth and drug it across the floor backwards. Rie was here and we like to have died laughing. She runs all over, jumps and plays.. (She has a really soft stuffed small dog and when she wants to play, I use that in place of her siblings she no longer has and use that to discourage her from clawing and bitting on me)

I see today that Samantha is weakening and becoming almost friends with her. She was not 3 inches from her watching her play and the did that belly up roll over thing and stuck her front paw out to touch her upside down and has been following her around ever since.. She is weakening...LOL:D!

BINGO! I bought some Purina 1 kitten chow today and she TORE IT UP! I finally found something she will EAT! ***Happy Dances! *****Happy Dances!!****

Freedom
09-20-2010, 04:57 PM
hooray!!!!

katladyd
09-20-2010, 06:42 PM
God always gives us what we need, which isn't always what we want, or think we want. It always works out for the best, so I keep on trustin' Him.:D

phesina
09-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Wonderful news, all around!

Congratulations, little Caramella!

cassiesmom
09-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Yay for baby Caramella! She figured out her teeth and how to eat kitten food, good girl!

And Samantha! Mmmmwah!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/Catzzzzz/Caramellafirstpooieinbox81310.jpg
This picture just cracks me up!

Catty1
09-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Hooray! Now you have found your favourite nummies, Caramella!:):love::love:

Laura's Babies
09-20-2010, 10:46 PM
katladyd-God always gives us what we need, which isn't always what we want, or think we want. It always works out for the best, so I keep on trustin' Him.

Right! I thought at the time I had all I needed to deal with but He did know exactly what I needed and saw that I had it! She has brought me so much JOY! (and distraction)

krazyaboutkatz
09-21-2010, 12:41 AM
This is wonderful news!!!:)

smokey the elder
09-21-2010, 07:05 AM
Aww, I'm glad she is finally eating on her own! Silly little kitten.

Barbara
09-21-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm so glad Caramella kitty is eating.
She sure is the cutest thing I ever saw:)

cassiesmom
10-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Laura, how is Caramella doing? How are her beautiful big sisters?

Laura's Babies
10-05-2010, 10:03 PM
cassiesmom- How is she? NEVER STILL! She plays and plays and plays for hours on end... then I realize I don't hear her and have to search for her... she is sleeping somewhere. She provides me with so many hours of entertainment and keeps me laughing. She has discovered the big girls litter boxes all by herself and will use those if she is near one and has to "go".

She follows me all over the house like a puppy and right now I am working on teaching her not to bite and scratch me. She much prefers my bare feet to attack than her play buddy and those little teeth and nails are like needles! OUCH! I only been working on that 2 days and she is so much better and not doing it as much.

She has observed the other girls here and has learned a lot from them. She has heard them "talking" to me so now she is even more verbal than before. She has watched Samantha's tail and studied that really hard and she now realizes she has a tail...... and that she can wag it!

Click on the picture and watch her...at the end she "talks" to me...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/Catzzzzz/th_MVI_1427.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/Catzzzzz/?action=view&current=MVI_1427.mp4)

Something else she discovered all by herself and immediately figured out how to get up there..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/Catzzzzz/IMG_1431.jpg

and this.. This is the hallway feeder.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/Catzzzzz/IMG_1428.jpg

and just to show her off again
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/Catzzzzz/IMG_1432.jpg

A discovery Mike pointed out to me this evening.. A perfect heart in her fur.. do you see it?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/Catzzzzz/IMG_1436.jpg

It is such a joy watching her leaning all this new stuff she can do, watching her grow and seeing how smart she is.

Freedom
10-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Laura, and Caramella, thank you SO much for a good hearty laugh as I prepare for bed!

That video is delightful! Wagging her her tail and "smacking" herself in the face, ha haaa, realizing that is her! Checking out that funny big "eye" you put up in front of your face, what IS that? Does it have a good smell, is it food? Nope. Hmm, sniff again, poke it, ha haa. Then her meow, that tiny little "meep" is just, awwwwww! I don't think she was talking to you though, Laura, I think she wanted that thing GONE so she could see her mommy again!

And the heart, and discovering the perch with the window view. Oh my, what a little investigator, learning about her world with no fear, thanks to Momma Laura.

katladyd
10-06-2010, 12:25 AM
She is beyond adorable!!! *kiss, kiss, kiss*:love:

krazyaboutkatz
10-06-2010, 12:48 AM
She's such a cutie pie.:) Even though I'm still having problems viewing videos on photobucket, I could still see pictures of her and hear her tiny meow. Pearl heard it and she had to come over to investigate.:)

Prairie Purrs
10-06-2010, 03:27 AM
She is irresistible! What a little princess! :love:

smokey the elder
10-06-2010, 08:09 AM
That squeaky kitten needs oil!:D

kuhio98
10-06-2010, 10:55 AM
She is beyond adorable!!! *kiss, kiss, kiss*:love:I agree. I laughed until I cried watching the video. :D

luckies4me
10-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Glad she is eating. I would try switching her to a higher quality kibble though, such as Royal Canin Babycat, which is what all of my rescues are weaned onto. They absolutely love it. They also sell it in cans now.

I am in the process of transitioning my 5 kittens to a pureed diet from bottle which consist of gerber baby chicken food, royal canin baby cat wet food, second step milk and rice cereal. I blend it all together and they drink it from the bottle. It helps keep weight on bottle babies, and helps fatten them up if you have new ones that are a bit skinny. I do this once my fosters start getting teeth. Mine have had their teeth for about 4 days now. Gotta watch those little chompers!!! Once they get a bit older you can try things like chicken pieces etc. Gave some to my babies last night and they gobbled them up!

cassiesmom
10-06-2010, 02:32 PM
This picture made me tear up ... look who's at the top of the kitty tree watching her little sister -- Amy, who is a precious miracle girl! :love: And how big Caramella is getting, what a darling baby kitty :love:

P.s. for Samantha, Giz and Kitty Boo :love: :love: :love:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/Catzzzzz/IMG_1428.jpg

3Catcondo
10-06-2010, 04:56 PM
What a cutie!!!!! She is getting to be a big beautiful girl...Love her!!

Abby&Buddy'sMom
10-06-2010, 05:45 PM
I absolutley :love: loved :love: that video and precious wittle squeek:love: I think the heart shape of fur also looks like a little mickey mouse head :) She is so precious for sure:)