PDA

View Full Version : Mom and dad's neighborhood is going to the dogs and cats!

cassiesmom
09-13-2010, 11:07 AM
And I like it!

My mom and dad still live in the house where I grew up. As their long-time neighbors move away they are getting more and more neighbors with dogs! My dad walks for exercise so he is slowly getting acquainted with people as they move in.

This is after the sad situation with the neighbor's Rottweilers last year. He has to go to a meeting at city hall about that. The two of them were always outside in the heat, cold, wind, rain or snow. They hardly ever got any attention or play time. One super hot day we were in the yard and we noticed that they just didn't look good, they seemed to be panting for breath. So I got a bucket and my dad filled it with water and put it over the fence with a piece of clothes line. The mother dog drank almost all of it and left just a little for the younger dog, so we filled it up a second time and she let the younger dog drink again. We think their neighbor on the other side was feeding them at night as well as giving them clean water.

But now there are lots of new neighbors and so many with dogs! A man with two white, fluffy dogs. My mom thinks they are very well cared for because their coats are always clean, white and fluffy and they just look happy and healthy. I noticed that they have dark shiny brown eyes. A couple with a retired greyhound that's on a waiting list for a second one. A young couple with two Boston terriers- one is sort of brownish-black and white, if that's possible, and the other looks just like Beenie or Frankie, the black and white. They walk with the two dogs and a tiny baby in one of those 3-wheel strollers. A couple with two little terriers- Norwich? or yorkies? They're small and cute! A lady with 2 shelter dogs and when they are out walking she always lets me pet and give them lovies. Their neighborhood is going to the dogs! I like it!

The cats worry me. There are four cats that belong to 3 different houses. One is orange with a full tail; one is solid black; one is a brown tabby and one is black and white. I wish the people around the block would keep their cats inside. There are possums, raccoons and cars about and I hope the cats don't encounter any of them.

Cataholic
09-13-2010, 11:28 AM
I know at least as many dogs names on my street as I do their people! Jasper gets a treat every morning at the bus stop. He has his eye on the door the whole time we are there just waiting for Frank to come out with a biscuit!

Walking the dog takes time! So many people and dogs to stop and say hello to, LOL.

cassiesmom
09-13-2010, 11:48 AM
I forgot the man and his daughter with the husky! The daughter goes to community college- she's a full-time student and also works part-time. She invited me to go with her and the husky to the dog park sometime and of course I said I'd love to :D!

Freedom
09-13-2010, 12:03 PM
A man with two white, fluffy dogs. My mom thinks they are very well cared for because their coats are always clean, white and fluffy and they just look happy and healthy. I noticed that they have dark shiny brown eyes.

Got my attention, he hee! Could be poodles, bichons, or some mix of either. :D

cassiesmom
09-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Got my attention, he hee! Could be poodles, bichons, or some mix of either. :D

I saw the man and the two white dogs again yesterday. I think they are either Samoyed dogs or American Eskimo Dogs. They look like a cloud with feet :) and they have such happy facial expressions! I hope I get to pet them some day because they are beautiful. Mom and dad's neighborhood is going to the dogs in a very fun way!

Casper
09-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Awesome! It seems to be the opposite around here. The dog population in my neighborhood is dwindling compared to a few years ago.

Hopefully the kitties stay in the yards and off the streets. One of our neighbors has a black and white cat (we refer to her as "Addie's Mummy", as she looks JUST like Adelaide) that likes to wonder around, and I worry about her getting hit by a car.

I know at least as many dogs names on my street as I do their people!

Same here! There are even some neighbors that I don't remember their names, but I know the name of their dog. :D

cassiesmom
04-18-2011, 11:07 PM
I could just flip. I've seen two of the cats outdoors already this spring, the brown tabby and the black and white. I was hoping this would be the year mom and dad's neighbors would keep their cats in. The brown tabby is so fearful, you just look at her and she takes off. She's the first one I'd like to carefully trap and return to her people.

The couple with two terriers is down to one terrier. Their daughter moved out, about a mile or two away, and took her terrier with her. The mom was laughing with my dad because her daughter visits with the dog at least twice a week -- so why did she move?