PDA

View Full Version : I am so worried and scared about Scooter

doolittleky
09-11-2010, 03:22 PM
I have a post somewhere on here about Scooter from where he was having some issues. I can't remember where I left off with that and I can't find the thread right now. He was having breathing problems before so he was put on antibiotics and the pred. The pred aparently caused problems and he is now diabetic. His breathing problems have gotten worse but the vet said he can't have pred because of the diabetes. I hope I am explaining all this correctly. Anyway last time at the vet she gave him theophyline to open his airways up. He just finished that yesterday . I didn't see much improvement with that. Last night he was breathing hard and coughing some. This morning I called for an appt and she worked me in. She gave hi an injection the first thing when she saw him. She said it was a bronchialator(sp?) It helped his breathing. She said there was a medicine that she could put him on that has helped called Atropica. She said it would work like pred. It is kinda expensive so it is going to be hard for me but I will figure it out. So she gave him that while I was there. She also gave the me bronchilator(sp?) and told me I could give it up to 3 times a day as he needed it for his breathing. All of this went on today about 12. I came back home with him( which is my boyfriend's apt because he is FIV+ and lives with him but he is mine) and fed him his canned and waited a little while before I gave him his insulin. He didn't eat much which worries me alot because of his blood sugars. So instead of going home like i needed to to finish cleaning out litters boxes and taking a shower I laid down on the bed with him. We took a nap. I woke up to the sound of him throwing up and when he was through he went off ot a corner and laid by himself and was breathing bad again. So I got the injection out and gave it to him. this happened around 4. So now he is laying still off to himself and i don't hear him louding breathing like it was. I am scared to death that something is going to happen to him like going into an asthma attack or his blood sugar dropping or something and i will lose him . The vet is closed now until Monday and they have you call a 24 hr emergency vet if you need to. First with ALL the medical issues I have had over the years with alot of different probelms I have never had to deal with asthma. It scares me to death because my brother grew up with it, my ex husband had his son die from it, he has it very bad, plus I have a imild case of it now. I don't know what to do, when to go to the er if it gets bad, how long I have to get him there etc. Him being FIV+ only complicates everything too. Does anyone here on the board had to deal with their cat and asthma? Mayber you can say something to clam me down and not be so scared and stressed about it. Since Ivy died, Scooter is my boy and I just can't lose him. Please everyone pray for him to get better so mommy can stop worrying soooo much.
Thanks,
Melissa

Laura's Babies
09-11-2010, 04:11 PM
I am SO sorry to read all this! Gosh, all I can say is I can only imagine how you feel, I know how I panic over the simplest stuff with my babies and this IS serious, extremely serious.

This is just something for you to think about...ok? Maybe with his diabetes, he should be at the ER Vet so they can make sure he has some kind of nourishment to stabilize his diabetes (around the clock)? I couldn't handle one that sick, it would rip me apart and I would just have to take them somewhere, where there was someone who could do a better job than me and holding themselves together and not freaking out like I would.

I never panicked with my skin kids but I always do with my fur kids..
(((((HUGS))))))) for you...

Freedom
09-11-2010, 05:23 PM
I have no experience or ideas to help

Prayers from RI for both of you, and for the vet to find something which will help settle him!

krazyaboutkatz
09-11-2010, 09:35 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this and that Scooter is so sick.:( Sky was diagnosed with mild asthma and he was on 2.5mg of pred in the morning and then 1/4 of a tablet of theophylline at night. He only needed to be on this medication for a few months and he did well on it but he was very restless at night and he'd wake me up between 2-3am every night. Now since he's been off the meds he's back to normal again and he'll sleep through the night. I hope that this new medicine will be able to help keep Scooter's asthma under control. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

phesina
09-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Prayers for you and Scooter both.

catmandu
09-12-2010, 12:41 PM
We are all sending Prayers for You and Scooter:love::love:
It is scary when a Cat is still , I always when Michael is still as I have just lost Joseph ^^ and Princess ^^ , I thought at first they were both asleep:(:(:(
WE are praying that Scooter's Vet can find the right medications so you can have Scooter as a Friend for yeras to come:love::love::love:

doolittleky
09-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Scooter ended up throwing up the second time and wouldn't eat much so that worried me about his insulin. I gave him some tuna juice and he licked up a little. Later that night he ate a little more but his breathing started getting bad agin so I gave him his last shot at around 11 pm. I was soo nervous leaving him last night to go home. Today he was moving around a little more but still wheezing alot. I had to come to work so I gave him a shot just in case it got worse. I don't know if I am suppose to do that but it made me feel a little better about leaving him. Tom will get off around 9 tonight and I will get off at 11:45. Keep the prayers coming for my Scooter boy. Thanks!
Melissa

Medusa
09-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Prayers going up from Ohio from Mary and the Fur Posse. Keep the faythe. :)