PDA

View Full Version : My Brain Tumor - Bill is $62,000.

Grace
09-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Yes, just like Laura, I had a meningioma. Mine was removed Wednesday morning, and I came home yesterday – just 48 hours post-op.

It was bigger than I thought – the length of two golf balls, as deep as one golf ball. The only residual effect I have is temporary loss of fine motor function of my left hand. My Neurosurgeon said it should be back to normal within a couple of months. I’ll start O.T. next week. It is already better after one good night of sleep in my own bed.

Meanwhile, I use the good old hunt-and-peck method of typing, so please excuse any errors. Surprising to me how many spelling mistakes I make typing letters with my right hand that are normally done with the left.

It’s good to be back :)

Kirsten
09-11-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm sorry I've missed this, it must have been so scary! Glad that you had surgery now, and that you're already back home and on the mend. Keep improving!! Did they remove it through your nose?

Asiel
09-11-2010, 09:22 AM
I must have missed it too but I'm glad all is well Grace. Hope everything continues upwards for you.

lizbud
09-11-2010, 09:25 AM
OH Grace, I had no idea.:( I am soooo glad you are back with us and
will storm heaven with prayers for your complete recovery. (((Hugs))) :)

Cinder & Smoke
09-11-2010, 09:26 AM
:eek:

Wishing you a full, quick, and complete recovery, Grace!! :love:

pomtzu
09-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Gretchen - I had no idea!!!:( Many prayers and well wishes going out to you, for a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself, my friend! :love::)

moosmom
09-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Grace,

I'm sorry I missed this thread. I'm glad that you're making a full recovery. My thoughts and prayers are with you!!

Love and hugs,

Donna and fur kids

Grace
09-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Don’t feel sorry for missing anything – this is the first I’ve posted about it.

Kirsten – no, not through my nose. I have an incision, about 5” long starting at my hairline above the right eye, and it ends about an inch behind and above my right ear.

It felt really good to get in the shower and get that dried blood out of my hair this morning.

Aziel, liz, Phred, Ellie and Donna – thanks for the good thoughts and prayers.

I had it in my head, that everything would work out well. I was determined to be home no later than today. I was fearful, but not frightened. What bothered me the most was waiting the 5 weeks from diagnosis to surgery date.

I will say I think my doctor is totally surprised by my recovery. Apparently, the first thing I said to him when I woke up was, “ I’m going home on Saturday.” And then said it 3 more times, He asked Douglas what was going on that day, and Doug told him that I was just planning to be home then, nothing more.

Inside this 70 year old body is a 35 year old mind, and when I make a decision, I am determined to carry it out ☺

Cincy'sMom
09-11-2010, 11:13 AM
So glad everything has gone well. Thoughts and prayers for your continued recovery.

Randi
09-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Grace, I had no idea either, but I'm glad it went well and you're back home. :)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

caseysmom
09-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Grace, I am so glad you are okay. That must have been scary.

Barbara
09-11-2010, 11:52 AM
How lucky you ahve been that they could get such a big thing out through your nose. That explains why you are already home. In my case they ahd to open the skull although it was only walnut size.
Take it easy- it is a major surgery and you may feel the shock of it more in the time to come.

caseysmom
09-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Barbara, it was not through her nose.

Grace
09-11-2010, 12:12 PM
How lucky you ahve been that they could get such a big thing out through your nose. That explains why you are already home. In my case they ahd to open the skull although it was only walnut size.
Take it easy- it is a major surgery and you may feel the shock of it more in the time to come.

No. it was NOT through my nose, as I explained earlier -

Kirsten – no, not through my nose. I have an incision, about 5” long starting at my hairline above the right eye, and it ends about an inch behind and above my right ear.

Karen
09-11-2010, 12:37 PM
For those of you thinking you missed something, don't worry, Grace purposefully didn't post about this ahead of time, waited until she came home!

wombat2u2004
09-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Oh wow !!! This was a surprise read.
Take care of yourself Grace, and relax some.
Glad to hear that all went well. ;)

Marigold2
09-11-2010, 01:48 PM
I am so glad you are home and on the road to recovery. May it be speedy and easy and good health be yours from now on.

Barbara
09-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Obviously I didn't read all of ot thoroughly- I also have a scar within my hairline;)
All the best to you- but for me it was 14 years ago - so I hope you'll be just as fine after some time.

Laura's Babies
09-11-2010, 04:26 PM
You are one tough cookie girl and you showed them, didn't you! I can't believe they cut into your skull, removed something that big and you are HOME! The more I hear, the less I worry about the one I have!

Bonny
09-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Good Thoughts & Prayers sent your way Grace for a Speedy Recovery :love:

shais_mom
09-11-2010, 05:06 PM
:eek:

Wishing you a full, quick, and complete recovery, Grace!! :love:

my sentiments exactly.
keep us posted!
thoughts and prayers on the way

Freedom
09-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Amazing what medical science can do; home 48 hours post op, WOW!

Good for you; sending more positive vibes to support you through recovery.

Cataholic
09-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Goodness! What a shock. It is great to hear you are already on the road to recovery. Thoughts and prayers on their way.

Killearn Kitties
09-11-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm very glad to hear that you are already home and feeling better.
Please take care of yourself, and I hope that every day brings an improvement. :)

Lillycat
09-11-2010, 07:27 PM
.....glad you are home.....that always helps recovery to be in our own home....take care....

sirrahbed
09-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Hope you feel better and stronger each day! :)

krazyaboutkatz
09-11-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm sorry that you had this tumor and had to have surgery:( but I'm so glad that everything went well and that you're now able to be home.:) Please take care and I hope you have a speedy recovery. (((HUGS)))

wanwan1007
09-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Hi Grace,

I'm glad to hear that you are home on on your way to full recovery. Praying and wishing complete restoration quickly and effortlessly.

K9karen
09-11-2010, 10:43 PM
You GO Girl! There's nothing like a positive attitude to help recuperation! And being in your own bed too! A gazillon wishes for a speedy recovery! :love:

lizbud
09-12-2010, 10:28 AM
I will say I think my doctor is totally surprised by my recovery. Apparently, the first thing I said to him when I woke up was, “ I’m going home on Saturday.” And then said it 3 more times, He asked Douglas what was going on that day, and Doug told him that I was just planning to be home then, nothing more.

Inside this 70 year old body is a 35 year old mind, and when I make a decision, I am determined to carry it out ☺

I was thinking again about what you said yesterday.... I really like your
spirit. Attitude means everything in getting well.:)

Daisy and Delilah
09-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Thoughts and prayers going out to you, Gretchen. I hope your recovery is as smooth as silk.
{{{{{Gretchen}}}}}

lvpets2002
09-13-2010, 04:18 PM
:) Same here.. Sending lots of Prayers & Huggss from TX..

Thoughts and prayers going out to you, Gretchen. I hope your recovery is as smooth as silk.
{{{{{Gretchen}}}}}

Pinot's Mom
09-13-2010, 06:32 PM
{{{hugs}}} Gretchen! I'm glad you're doing so well, though! :love:

phesina
09-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Well done, Gretchen! And may your continuing recovery go smoothly and swiftly.

Pat and cats :love::love::love::love::love::love:

Laura's Babies
09-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Gretchen- How are you doing now? Feeling ok? I been thinking about you a lot today..

k9krazee
09-13-2010, 09:27 PM
You're definitely in my thoughts and prayers Gretchen! You're attitude is remarkable :) I hope recovery continues to go smoothly. ((((hugs)))))

RICHARD
09-13-2010, 09:35 PM
You had surgery and are worried about your TYPING?

Stop.

--------------
That's what 'spell check' is for.:eek:

Just get better and try to find another excuse?;)

Grace
09-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Gretchen- How are you doing now? Feeling ok? I been thinking about you a lot today..

Thanks, Laura. I'm doing okay - my left hand doesn't want to cooperate, and I don't start OT until after my appointment next Tuesday. This drives me nuts - I'm a Type A and expect to be perfect immediately :)

You had surgery and are worried about your TYPING?

Stop.

--------------
That's what 'spell check' is for.:eek:

Just get better and try to find another excuse?;)

Yeah - I'm bugged by having to type with just my right hand - can't help it, that's how I was programmed :)

Thanks to all of you for the prayers and good thoughts - it does help :love:

phesina
09-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Lots of prayers and good thoughts and healing energies are coming from my kitties and me, Gretchen.

Laura's Babies
09-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Just check in with us now and then and let us know how you are doing!

Medusa
09-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Gretchen, I'm so glad to read that you're already on the road to recovery. It's amazing what can be done w/surgery nowadays. Keep on w/your positive attitude; I'm sure it helped in your healing and getting you home so fast. And your typing looks just fine to me. Continued prayers are going up for you. :love:

Barbara
09-16-2010, 12:05 PM
This drives me nuts - I'm a Type A and expect to be perfect immediately :)

I know exactly what you mean- but allow yourself some time. This is NOT a small thing :)

Grace
09-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Holy Cow :eek:

The hospital bill came in the mail today! I was in the hospital for 53 hours, and the bill is $62,000!!!!!!!

Still to receive the doctor's bill :eek:

I have some questions about some of the listed items - will call about them on Monday.

lizbud
09-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Did you get the bill, or do you mean a copy of the bill? I have Medicare
and my own health insurance and all I see are copies of bills and sometimes
a bill for my co-pay, if it hasn't already been paid. I do get a copy of the
Doctor charges from my HMO, but not a bill.

I can imagine how many pages a bill that size would be.:eek: Wow.:eek:

Freedom
09-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Holy Cow :eek:

The hospital bill came in the mail today! I was in the hospital for 53 hours, and the bill is $62,000!!!!!!!

Still to receive the doctor's bill :eek:

I have some questions about some of the listed items - will call about them on Monday.

I suspect there will be more bills, lol: Anesthesiologist, lab, and on and on. Seems each and every one bills separately!

Now, you put that ENORMOUS number in the thread title. DO post and tell us you have insurance coverage!!! As lizbud said.

Grace
09-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Did you get the bill, or do you mean a copy of the bill? I have Medicare
and my own health insurance and all I see are copies of bills and sometimes
a bill for my co-pay, if it hasn't already been paid. I do get a copy of the
Doctor charges from my HMO, but not a bill.

I can imagine how many pages a bill that size would be.:eek: Wow.:eek:

Yeah - it's only a single page - but it says at the top Hospital Inpatient Bill - then different charges are listed. ICU 1 day - 3,683; Room Charge 1 day - 1422; then a bunch of ancillary charges, including Pharmacy, Sterile Supplies, Anesthesia, Operating Room, MRI, etc. At the bottom - No Payment Due At This Time.

I suspect there will be more bills, lol: Anesthesiologist, lab, and on and on. Seems each and every one bills separately!

Now, you put that ENORMOUS number in the thread title. DO post and tell us you have insurance coverage!!! As lizbud said.

Yes, I have wonderful medical insurance. Medicare, of course, with supplemental backup from The University of Michigan - which is where I had the surgery. Once upon a long time ago, I worked in the Neuro ICU - this time I was a patient there.

Freedom
09-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Yes, I have wonderful medical insurance.

Whew! I had visions of the furkids having to give up their treats! :D

anna_66
09-18-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm very sorry to have missed this Gretchen, but glad to hear that your doing well.
It's a good thing you don't have to pay that big bill!

kokopup
09-18-2010, 11:09 PM
I think I've been on another planet because I totally missed this Post on PT.
Gretchen, I am so glad you are doing so well. I know you are fully aware of the OT that is required sometime to fully restore fine motor. I know you will be back to normal in no time, posting two handed without spell check. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

lizbud
09-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Yeah - it's only a single page - but it says at the top Hospital Inpatient Bill - then different charges are listed. ICU 1 day - 3,683; Room Charge 1 day - 1422; then a bunch of ancillary charges, including Pharmacy, Sterile Supplies, Anesthesia, Operating Room, MRI, etc. At the bottom - No Payment Due At This Time.

They probably put the "no payment due at this time" in very small print too.:rolleyes: The better to get your heart pumping overtime.:p

You get started on your PT next week, right? I hope all goes well and
you are back to 100% in no time.:)

kuhio98
09-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Unfortunately, you can probably expect the final total to be much more. Bobcat had back surgery last November. The grand total was over $200,000!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Grace
09-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Unfortunately, you can probably expect the final total to be much more. Bobcat had back surgery last November. The grand total was over $200,000!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That's insane!!!!

Barbara
09-19-2010, 12:26 PM
It's funny- here all things medical are cheaper anyway- plus there are 15 years in between. The hospital room in my case was about 300 Euro (we didn't have Euro then) and the surgery without the anesthesia- so the biggest part of the bill- was like 5000 Euro.
A bargain compared to yours ;)

momcat
09-19-2010, 03:34 PM
I can't begin to tell you how happy I am to know that your surgery went well. My Mom had the same type of tumor, her surgery also went extremely well. Hers was the size of a tennis ball.

Please know that my thoughts, and especially my prayers, are with you for a swift and full recovery :love:

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-19-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm wishing you a speedy recovery Gretchen, from across the ocean!!!

Grace
09-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Saw the Neurosurgeon today - all staples removed. My hand is getting better - now typing with it. Not always totally correct, but it's progress. Can tie my shoes. Still having problems putting on my earrings, and hooking my bra :D

phesina
09-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Oh, that's great, Gretchen!

Will you be up to having coffee at the Bearclaw Cafe any time soon, do you think?

Prairie Purrs
09-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Good progress report! And thank goodness you've got good insurance! There should be insurance coverage for the shock one suffers when reading a hospital bill.

smokey the elder
09-22-2010, 07:53 AM
I'm glad you're getting better. Brain surgery has to be scary...don't want to "flash away all your med school" (line from Men in Black).

Pinot's Mom
09-22-2010, 09:48 AM
So glad you are getting better and better! :)

beeniesmom
09-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Wow, just reading this. I'm glad that they were able to remove your tumor. I hope you gain full function in your hand. Hugs.

Karen
09-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Even 15 years ago, when I had my brain surgery, the bill was something like $30,000 - all covered by my insurance, thankfully. So I am not surprised it's even more now! Still it is startling to get a bill with such huge numbers on it - even if it's nothing you actually have to pay!

lizbud
10-18-2010, 10:56 AM
I was wondering how you were doing. Has the PT been a help in your
use of your hand? Just thought it was time for a general update if you
feel up to it. I do miss your postings & hope all is well with you.:)

Laura's Babies
10-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Yea me too! How are you? Please update us here...

dukedogsmom
10-19-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm just now seeing this. I hope your recovery is still moving forward. Would be a scary thing to have experienced.

Grace
10-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks for inquiring liz, Laura and Val. Sorry I didn't get to this sooner.

Surgery was 6 weeks ago today, and I saw my surgeon yesterday for a final check. All is well - except for that left hand. Two of the fingers, middle and index, continue to be extremely numb. And if you can't feel it, you don't know what it's doing. This doesn't work too well with typing. I am getting better with that, though. The surgeon feels that I will regain all feeling and normal function in the future.

I had several visits with O.T., and they gave me exercises and activities to do at home. I find that the best thing for me has been to return to my volunteer work in the school library. I started back two weeks ago and it has done wonders for my spirits as well as my hand. I get there and start doing all the stuff, and suddenly realize I'm using my left hand without thinking about it. That's what I need to do.

The staples were removed a month ago, and the scar has really faded. Unless you know where to look, you won't see it. I asked him how big the bone flap was - as big as his hand - Yikes!!

He said I have no restrictions now - can do whatever I want. I'll have another MRI in a year, and an EEG in March. I got put on an anti-convulsant post-op, prophylactically, and if the EEG is clear, I can stop them then.

I still need a nap once in awhile, but basically I'm doing well. Putting on my earrings is still a challenge, as is hooking my bra (hope that's not TMI ??).

I got a copy of the surgery report - I've read things like this for years, but when it's your own . . . . . . .

Freckles
10-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Putting on my earrings is still a challenge, as is hooking my bra (hope that's not TMI ??).

I learned this, I think, from Heloise. Put your bra around you, upside down and inside out. So the outside is next to your skin and straps hanging down. Turn it around so the fasteners are in front of you. Should be easier to fasten, if you can see them. Then turn it around so fasteners are in the back, put your hands, then arms through the straps and pull up and over your shoulders. Good luck ;)

Can't help you with the earrings.

lizbud
10-20-2010, 04:58 PM
LOL Not TMI at all.:) re: that problem with the hooks, just wanted to
say that that's what husbands are for.:) It's great that you can get back
out for volunteering again.:) Thanks for updating us.

anna_66
10-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Grace it's nice to hear that your working and feeling so much better!

phesina
10-20-2010, 07:47 PM
That's great news, Grace. So nice to learn how well you're doing!

Are you up for some coffee at Bearclaw any time soon?

Pat

dukedogsmom
10-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Glad to hear things are improving! Having good spirits are really important in healing. Sounds like the library job is just what you need :)