PDA

View Full Version : Australia: Melbourne archbishop bans pop music at funerals

phesina
09-11-2010, 06:31 AM
http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/10/archbishop-bans-pop-music-at-funerals

Includes a video clip w/ Eric Idle discussing the popularity of “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life,” one of the songs a Roman Catholic leader in Australia does not want to hear during funerals.

Freedom
09-11-2010, 07:43 AM
I didn't read the article; here in RI, we were restricted to hymns at funerals about 3 years back.

Medusa
09-11-2010, 07:50 AM
Some of the song titles made me chuckle. What does the Archbishop care? It isn't his funeral.

Bonny
09-11-2010, 08:17 AM
It is church law, laid out in each Archdiocese. Music for weddings is also controlled by the archdiocese. Years ago a neighbor was killed in a semi accident. At his funeral there were 5 tractors parked outside the church in his memory. The priest at that time allowed them to play a CD, a truckers song. The casket was wheeled up to the door of the church after mass & the song was played. Times have changed in the church.

Marigold2
09-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Even in death our last wishes cannot be honored by our friends. I want R & R to be played at my funeral. Once again the church is telling us want to do, when do to it and how to be honored if at all in death.
This makes me want to vomit. I guess I will be having my service at the funeral home when it arrives, hopefully in 49 years those who will be around will be listening to Twist and Shoot by the Beatles, Another One Bites the Dust By Queen, Bad to the Bone by George Thorogood and of course Led Zepplin Stairway to Heaven. Amen!

Karen
09-11-2010, 01:50 PM
As long as you are not Catholic, the diocese has no control over what is played at your funeral. And certainly, if there is any kind of collation afterwards, as long as it isn't on the grounds of the Catholic church, anything can be played.

Marigold2
09-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Why do Catholics allow this? It is not 1547. Catholics get divorced, have children out of wedlock, use birth control and do all vices just as non-Catholics. Do they fear they will not go to heaven after having sinned in other ways? Makes no sense to a thinking person.
If you are going to break one rule why keep this one?
I have seen several gay priests.....
Why all this double standred?
And please I am not trying to badger the church, honest, I just want people to think instead of following rules think for yourself. Don't follow a rule because your mother and grandmother and her grandmother followed it but think for yourself what makes sense and what is best for you.

Scooter's Mom
09-11-2010, 02:57 PM
We played Bette Midler at my mom's service. My dad wanted "Wind Beneath My Wings" as his song for her ... thank Goodness we were able to accommodate his wishes!

Marigold2
09-11-2010, 03:24 PM
That is so beautiful and meaningful I am sure.
Sorry for the loss of your mom.

We played Bette Midler at my mom's service. My dad wanted "Wind Beneath My Wings" as his song for her ... thank Goodness we were able to accommodate his wishes!

Bonny
09-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Why do Catholics allow this? It is not 1547. Catholics get divorced, have children out of wedlock, use birth control and do all vices just as non-Catholics. Do they fear they will not go to heaven after having sinned in other ways? Makes no sense to a thinking person.
If you are going to break one rule why keep this one?
I have seen several gay priests.....
Why all this double standred?
And please I am not trying to badger the church, honest, I just want people to think instead of following rules think for yourself. Don't follow a rule because your mother and grandmother and her grandmother followed it but think for yourself what makes sense and what is best for you.

It goes all the way to Rome & the Vatican. Yes, the laws are ancient. In our parish we had a gay priest ( he was in our parish 14 years & retired with back trouble) & he was very liberal & now he has been replaced with a straight conservative priest. A lot of people have now left the parish. It is like a roller coaster ride & there is a shortage of priests besides. I know what you mean Marigold & don't take any offense. :)

kitten645
09-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Reason 1,504,345 I'm no longer a catholic :rolleyes:

Twisterdog
09-11-2010, 09:56 PM
That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Well, at least today.

We played "Red River Valley" by Gene Autry at my dad's funeral. He whistled that song for sixty years.

Reason 1,504,346 I have NO use for organized religion of ANY denomination.