PDA

View Full Version : Concerns about Mikey

Alysser
09-10-2010, 04:42 PM
I am going on vacation in late December and it will be the first time Mikey has been away from us since we got him almost a year ago. He is a velcro dog, he is absolutely crazy about us. I am worried about leaving him at the kennel, which is funny because I've never been worried before with Sassy. We have been going to the same kennel for years and we have gotten to know the owners well and I put my complete trust in them. He loves other dogs and he's very social but he's also very close to us now. I don't want him to think we're re-homing him. The first time we brought him home he was so sad. He's already been through one pretty scary experience at just a 2 years old, him being rehomed to us, and while he adjusted it took him awhile. I just don't want him to feel like he's going through this all over again.

Am I being paranoid? Any advice to introducing him to this?

Husky_mom
09-10-2010, 04:46 PM
tough one..

perhaps a sleepover at someone else´s place.. or if the kennel people allow a sleep over there.. not sure if they´d charge you.. just so he know that you ARE coming back..

just a thought...

I suggest this, as I assume he doesn´t spends half day at the groomers.. being a short haired dog.. unlike a dog that needs clipping and such... which IMO would make them used to be left elsewhere for a while...

pomtzu
09-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Would getting a pet sitter be an option, or perhaps someone that he knows and the family knows and that would be trustworthy???

Alysser
09-10-2010, 04:51 PM
tough one..

perhaps a sleepover at someone else´s place.. or if the kennel people allow a sleep over there.. not sure if they´d charge you.. just so he know that you ARE coming back..

just a thought...

I suggest this, as I assume he doesn´t spends half day at the groomers.. being a short haired dog.. unlike a dog that needs clipping and such... which IMO would make them used to be left elsewhere for a while...

Well we have taken him to the kennel for a bath, twice or 3 times I think. The ladies like him alot and they say he behaves pretty well and he seems to enjoy it? But I'm still not sure :/

ETA: I am not sure how my mom would feel about that idea. He isn't trusted enough to not be crated when we are not home, and I wouldn't want to leave him in a crate all week pretty much and let out just to go potty. That'd be awful for him. I think if he went to someone's house it would be worse because he might think he REALLY is being re-homed.

Taz_Zoee
09-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Would your parents, or you, be willing to pay to let him stay one night at the kennel just to see how he does? I think it would be worth it to see how he reacts.

I am sooo thankful that my brother and his family watch our dogs for us. And if they didn't my mom would. Zoee doesn't do well in kennels. I did day care for two days with her a few years back and she didn't drink any water or go potty. And she drools buckets when she is nervous. :(

Freedom
09-10-2010, 05:15 PM
I was going to ask about him spending some time at the kennel, but then you added that he HAS been there. So you drop him off there, and then you pick him up.

Yes this will be a longer time, but he will be fine.

Alysser
09-10-2010, 05:43 PM
I doubt my mom would go for it. It's expensive as it is and the 6 days will be like $300 as it is. My brother is going to be with us so he can't watch him, normally he would offer to. I am just hoping I'm not being a paranoid freak.

Taz_Zoee
09-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Here is an idea that my SIL did with her RB Boo. He had anxiety issues. So the first time she took him to the boarding kennel she had me and a family friend on call in case he had any issues one of us would pick him up.
Luckily, he did GREAT! :) So, let's just hope the same happens with Mikey.

Alysser
09-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Here is an idea that my SIL did with her RB Boo. He had anxiety issues. So the first time she took him to the boarding kennel she had me and a family friend on call in case he had any issues one of us would pick him up.
Luckily, he did GREAT! :) So, let's just hope the same happens with Mikey.

I actually just talked to my mom. She said the lady will call us if Mikey gets really bad. She also said that she will have her friend on call, he has play-dates with their dog sometimes. She said she always had her on call just in case there was ever issues with Sassy but I didn't know about that. Apparently you need to fill out and emergency contact card just in case when you become a client and they keep it on file there. :D I am happy to hear this and hope he is ok too.

Taz_Zoee
09-10-2010, 06:14 PM
I actually just talked to my mom. She said the lady will call us if Mikey gets really bad. She also said that she will have her friend on call, he has play-dates with their dog sometimes. She said she always had her on call just in case there was ever issues with Sassy but I didn't know about that. Apparently you need to fill out and emergency contact card just in case when you become a client and they keep it on file there. :D I am happy to hear this and hope he is ok too.

This is great! So you can enjoy your vacation, and not worry about him. :) And I'm sure you can call and check on him too.