PDA

View Full Version : 50 year Anniversary

Marigold2
09-09-2010, 09:22 PM
My second mom and dad who have known me for 39 years will be married 50 years this Oct. Mom was 17 Dad was 19 when they got married, so young and still so in love. I call them mom and dad of course and they are the only parents I have now. I grew up across the street from them and their younger daughter Kim is my sister (we have always referred to each other as such)
They have one of the happiest marriages I have ever known and believe me if there was a problem I would have known, Kim would have called. Anyway....
I need an idea for these two lovebirds that mean the world to me.
Yes I could just put $50.00 in a card but I want something special with 50. 50 of what I don't know.
Kim is in charge of the big party. They have hired a photographer, food is being catered etc etc....
Party will be out doors at mom and dads.
What to give? Please help.

Karen
09-09-2010, 09:27 PM
50 years is the golden anniversary - 50 Hershey's kisses with Almonds? They have a gold foil on them ... and kisses seem appropriate!

50 hug certificates?

A plate of 50 of their favorite treats? Butterscotch brownies are gold in color ... and brownies freeze well.

sana
09-09-2010, 09:37 PM
I don't know what you should give but I say, tell Kim to put a 5 and 0 candle on the cake. ;) Lovebirds would be lovely. Or maybe what Karen says, Hershey's kisses 50 of the golden one.

Karen
09-10-2010, 12:03 AM
Another idea - send out 50 index cards - or hand them out at the party, and ask people to write one memory of the couple on each one, and collect them and present them in a gold-painted basket with ribbon at the party!

My mom got ALS and died before my folks could have a 50th wedding anniversary, but I tried to rally folks for a 40th anniversary party. Unfortunately, that one is the Ruby Anniversary, so I told Dad - "Sorry, I could not afford ruby slippers in size 12!" We had a bit of a party that day, not huge, but I am glad we did. Several people said "Why do one now? Why not wait for 50?"

I am glad I didn't wait.

wombat2u2004
09-10-2010, 02:27 AM
I think a gold coloured fishing rod for him would be nice.
And for her....perhaps a new frying pan that she can cook the fish in.
Sounds good to me ;)

Lady's Human
09-10-2010, 03:15 AM
A golden rolling pin and a golden baseball bat?

50 pics, one from each year of their marriage made into a collage?

Marigold2
09-12-2010, 10:45 AM
This is a great idea Karen.

Another idea - send out 50 index cards - or hand them out at the party, and ask people to write one memory of the couple on each one, and collect them and present them in a gold-painted basket with ribbon at the party!

My mom got ALS and died before my folks could have a 50th wedding anniversary, but I tried to rally folks for a 40th anniversary party. Unfortunately, that one is the Ruby Anniversary, so I told Dad - "Sorry, I could not afford ruby slippers in size 12!" We had a bit of a party that day, not huge, but I am glad we did. Several people said "Why do one now? Why not wait for 50?"

I am glad I didn't wait.