PDA

View Full Version : Barefoot child at Wal-Mart

cassiesmom
09-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Can I just rant for a minute?

I went to Wal-Mart yesterday - something I don't do often, but yesterday's trip was a necessary one. Their prices on things like paper towels and toilet tissue, basic socks for work, and light bulbs are a help to me. Ours is a super Wal-Mart, so I was able to pick up a few other things there instead of having to go to the grocery store as well - a time-saver.

As I was checking out I noticed the people in front of me had a small child with them - I'd say preschool age, probably 3 or 4 - that was barefoot. The soles of his feet were filthy, so they must have brought him to the store without shoes. I followed them out of the store and they allowed the child to walk through the parking lot barefoot. I couldn't believe it.

What if that child would have stepped or slipped in a liquid spilled in the store? Or, heaven forbid, another person's body fluid infected with something awful? Or broken glass in the parking lot? I was flabbergasted that these parents would do such a thing. And also that the store would permit the child to walk around barefoot -- they're liable if the kid cuts his foot or worse. The parents were appropriately dressed (and shod). I don't know why they'd let the child leave the house without shoes.

And this is classist of me, but if the child is on Illinois All Kids, those are my tax dollars that will be paying for your son's lacerated foot, so put some shoes on that child NOW.

Thank you for letting me rant,
elyse

Daisy and Delilah
09-09-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm with you, Elyse. I can't stand to go barefooted outside. I realize it's the way some people want to go or have to go but it is a pet peeve of mine. For every reason you mentioned. To not put shoes on a child is inexcusable. :mad:

Lady's Human
09-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Well, to keep shoes on my daughter is a constant fight, possibly the parents got tired of it and saw that particular day as a battle that wasn't worth fighting in that regard.

pomtzu
09-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Up until a few years ago, I went barefoot as much as possible, but only around the house and yard. Of course, I also ended up stepping on a lot of stinging insects too! I can't imagine anyone going without shoes in stores and parking lots. Most every store around here - and all restaurants - have a notice on the door - "shoes and shirts required". Thank goodness - some male species that I've seen without a shirt - well - it just isn't a pretty sight! :eek:

Asiel
09-09-2010, 04:55 PM
I can't believe any parent would let a child go barefoot in stores and parking lots. Some people don't deserve kids period.

POM---put your shoes on :D

cassiesmom
09-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Well, to keep shoes on my daughter is a constant fight, possibly the parents got tired of it and saw that particular day as a battle that wasn't worth fighting in that regard.

But, LH, in the grocery store, though? I guess I'm just a worry-wart. I'd be very concerned that the child could step on something nasty. The other thing is that this particular Wal-Mart's parking lot isn't lit too terribly well at night and there's almost always trash scattered around. Papers, empty cardboard boxes from pop and beer, cans and bottles and plastic bags even soiled diapers. One time I opened the car door and almost stepped on a used condom - yuck! I'd be afraid of the boy stepping on a nail or glass or who knows what else. If he wants to go round without shoes at home, that's okay with me, but for safety's sake not at the store. Especially that store- open and busy 24 hours a day. I'm not sure if it's up to wal-Mart or the shopping center management to keep the parking lot picked up but it's an ongoing task.

Lady's Human
09-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Impossible to judge who what or why based on one incident of a child going barefoot.

IT happens.

You can what if all day long about thousands of things in life, with each what if ending horribly. For whatever reason, the child was barefoot. It happens. I know it happens with my kids on occasion. Doesn't mean I'm careless, it means someone was having a bad day.

lizbud
09-09-2010, 06:00 PM
I wouldn't like to see a little kid going barefoot in a store or in a
store parking lot. Not a good idea at all, for all the reasons you've
already mentioned. As a parent it's our job to make decisions for our
kids. Barefoot at home is one thing, outside the safety of home, is
quite another.

moosmom
09-09-2010, 06:17 PM
I swear I don't know where parent's minds are these days. Unbelievable!!!

Lady's Human
09-09-2010, 06:45 PM
So everyone else's kids were immaculately clothed and groomed at all times outside the home ?

Never one thing amiss?

Give yourselves a group medal and a pat one the back, because you're the only parents in history to accomplish that.

lizbud
09-09-2010, 07:05 PM
So everyone else's kids were immaculately clothed and groomed at all times outside the home ?

Never one thing amiss?

Give yourselves a group medal and a pat one the back, because you're the only parents in history to accomplish that.

No one claimed any such thing. I believe you're just being argumentative.
It isn't allways easy to be the parent & make informed decisions for your
children, but hey, it is our JOB & our responsibilty.

Casper
09-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Maybe they were visiting from Arkansas. No one wears shoes here. :D

Lady's Human
09-09-2010, 07:13 PM

No. just amazed that people can be so judgmental about the parenting abilities of generations based on a child sighted in passing barefoot in a checkout line.

Big deal, the kid was barefoot.

aTailOf2Kitties
09-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Nothing surprises me at WalMart anymore. It's practically a natural history museum dedicated to the lesser-evolved forms of human life. :D

Lady's Human
09-09-2010, 08:12 PM
So.......what if someone, not wanting to be seen with a barefoot child in a store (they wouldn't want to be the cause for the damning of their generation's child rearing ability), left said child in the car while they ran in to grab something?

Or left a dog and two kids in a car while they ran into the local grocery store to grab a single item?

It's a no win.

Not everyone is going to conform to your belief of what the perfect parent is, and EVERYONE has bad hair days.

Alysser
09-09-2010, 08:14 PM
You should have submitted a picture:
http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?page_id=9798

:D

beeniesmom
09-09-2010, 08:27 PM

I have to agree with you. I am experiencing it with Laura. She is 13 months old now and walking. She CONSTANTLY takes her shoes off. Sometimes I take her to the store barefoot out of exasperation BUT carry her around. I'd never let her loose barefoot in a store or outside. It's gross that the kid was left to walk barefoot but I can understand why.

GoldenLover
09-09-2010, 08:39 PM
I work at Walmart in security, and let me tell you, I've seen worse...
I've seen children in the dead of winter in t-shirts. The decent parents at least steal a coat for them, but many of them just wrap them in a blanket and go.

I've seen parents let their kids do all sorts of extremely unsafe things. My favorite is when they let their kid ride on the very bottom of the cart. They *always either get their fingers or their hair pinched in the cart wheels. And it's *always Walmart's fault when they file the accident claim.

I've seen parents help their kids to climb on the shelves. I've seen infants left in hot cars outside while their single momma shops. I also see a fair amount of kids that are used as disguises or aids to help the parents steal. Just wait till they grow up... I'll be waiting.

Worst of all is the parents who shouldn't be parents. There is this one 40-something couple in particular that comes in nearly every day to purchase food stamp items. They are heavy set, and are too lazy to walk (though they are *completely able, I've seen them do it) so they get TWO electric scooters, one for each of them. The little boy, who is probably 5, is SCREAMED at the entire time they're in the store. They start by letting him go to the restroom, and of course, they don't get up to go help him. Instead, they wait about a minute after he goes in, then open the main door to the restroom and scream at him to hurry up. Then while in the store, they scream at him for everything from touching things to not walking in a straight line. Poor kid can't do anything right according to them. The boy is not mis-behaved (believe me, some are and deserve the commands), and I truely feel sorry for him.

And it always seems to be worse around the 1st and 15th of the month... You can tell who has kids because they love kids and who has kids for the tax benefits. It's really sad...

Medusa
09-09-2010, 09:21 PM
quite another.

What she said. :)

Catlady711
09-09-2010, 11:04 PM
While I don't agree with it and it's against store policy, I don't think I'd be all that upset to see a child in a Wally's World barefoot.

Now the time I went to the Louisville Zoo was a different story. Saw a whole family barefoot! :rolleyes: Now figuring that it was 95 degrees that day and sunny as all heck, that black top had to have been HOT!!! It's also a BIG zoo with lots of walking on that hard surface. Now that one did tick me off that not only did the parents allow all 3 children to go that way, but didn't have enough sense to put shoes on their own feet as well. And I don't go for the 'couldn't afford shoes' thing, you can buy a pair of cheap crappy flip flops for a couple bucks, less if you get them at a garage sale or something.

pomtzu
09-10-2010, 07:27 AM
I don't think this thread's issue is about the kid being barefoot, but about the potential safety danger of going without shoes, and the potential of stepping on something that would cause injury. A piece of broken glass, a sliver of metal, a nail, a caustic liquid - any of these which could be in the parking lot, or even the store floor. It's only common sense on the part of the parents to protect their kids from any kind of injury that could be caused this way.
If they want to let their kids go barefoot, then make sure they're small enough to ride in the store cart, from the time they get out of the car until they get back in. Too big for the cart?? - then make sure the feet are protected! It's only a matter of common sense and has nothing at all to do with being immaculately groomed. :(

Lady's Human
09-10-2010, 08:12 AM
The point about immaculately groomed was therefor a reason.

No, my kids aren't spotless 24/7.

Yes, there are times when we have to do things that aren't normal, like a late night run for meds when only one parent is home, in which case it's in the truck, as is, to the store.

I'm sure I've brought kids to the store in a condition of dress or cleanliness which would have, in some instances, made one of the immaculate pillars of parenthood irate enough to post here.

Points being, you don't know what happened, and, as several people throughout history have said, don't judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes.

Safety? The most dangerous place in any child's life? the kitchen and bathroom. Not Wal Mart, not K-Mart, not CVS or a parking lot, your own home. You have products in your house which would never be allowed in a workplace because of the hazards (try an MSDS for 409, for instance!)

(BTW, I can't count the number of store parking lots I walked through barefoot as a child. My mother must have been a terrible parent!)

pomtzu
09-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Points being, you don't know what happened, and, as several people throughout history have said, don't judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes.

Ah yes!!! But I will have shoes on! :p:D

I was not looking for a confrontation, nor was I judging anyone for their dress - or lack of it. Yes - unusual circumstances do come up. But when I see children barefoot in stores with their caregivers, in the middle of the day, casually shopping, then I can't help but think there was no unusual circumstance involved.

And yes - I successfully raised 2 children to adulthood, in spite of all the household perils, and those away from the home too. Just part of responsible parenting, I guess. :)

lizbud
09-10-2010, 09:00 AM
You should have submitted a picture:
http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?page_id=9798

OMG, some of those are sooooo funny.:D

Makes you think twice about the Islamic rule of "covering up" doesn't it?;)

Cataholic
09-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Like LH, I can't really see the horror of a child barefoot. When I think of the 'shoes' J has on most of the time- crocs, that rubber sole is absolutely no barrier for glass, metal, etc. I see opened toed flip flops (which kill me to wear), and I imagine any caustic liquid would be flapped up over them without any issue. I see water type shoes, moccasins, etc. No shoes? No big deal, to me.

What I also thought of when I read the OP was the children that have various disorders, which make shoe wearing, along with lots of other types of constrictive clothing, dern near impossible. Maybe the child had swollen feet, or had had on new shoes and there were blisters and wearing any shoe was not going to happen any more that day.

There are so many things that it could be other than lazy, inconsequential parents.

Though it doesn't happen now, at 6, I had taken J into the store in his jammies on more than one occasion. I will never forget the jammies with rain boots at HD, and running into a client! Know what the client said??? "Trust me, it isn't bad until it involves a mask". LOL, apparently as the father of two younger children himself, he had been there.

Much ado about nothing.

cassiesmom
09-10-2010, 10:21 AM
I don't think this thread's issue is about the kid being barefoot, but about the potential safety danger of going without shoes, and the potential of stepping on something that would cause injury. A piece of broken glass, a sliver of metal, a nail, a caustic liquid - any of these which could be in the parking lot, or even the store floor.

Thank you, Pomtzu- you said it better than I could!

It's not that the child was barefoot, it's where (potential hazards to be stepped in/on both inside the store and in the parking lot). I guess you'd have to see the parking lot. Things out there no one should step on.

I've seen children in their PJ's there and at the supermarket - doesn't bother me.

Much ado about nothing.
I'm sorry I brought it up.

Cataholic
09-10-2010, 10:30 AM

No apologies necessary. I have a different opinion and I expressed it. Doesn't mean yours has no validity.

lizbud
09-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Thank you, Pomtzu- you said it better than I could!

It's not that the child was barefoot, it's where (potential hazards to be stepped in/on both inside the store and in the parking lot). I guess you'd have to see the parking lot. Things out there no one should step on.

I've seen children in their PJ's there and at the supermarket - doesn't bother me.

Don't be sorry, you were right all along.:) This isn't just an appearances
type of thing, it is a safety issue. If other parents don't see that, then so
be it. :rolleyes:

lvpets2002
09-10-2010, 12:00 PM
:) Oh I know when I was growing up = I hated shoes.. I went barefoot all of the time at Home.. Hey I thought most stores made you wear shoes (even for kids)..

happylabs
09-10-2010, 05:18 PM
I do not think there is any excuse for this type of neglect. If there was a reason she could not wear shoes they should have made her ride in a cart. I would never ever have let either of my kids go barefoot in public, even at the beach we made them wear sandals until we got our towels and blankets set up.

Parents are just letting their kids run things these days. Bad parenting...

Lady's Human
09-10-2010, 05:23 PM
So neglect is now letting a kid go barefoot?

Priceless.

What's sending them to bed without dinner? Reckless endangerment?

pomtzu
09-10-2010, 05:42 PM
I do not think there is any excuse for this type of neglect. If there was a reason she could not wear shoes they should have made her ride in a cart. I would never ever have let either of my kids go barefoot in public, even at the beach we made them wear sandals until we got our towels and blankets set up.

Yup - there's something to be said for foot protection at the beach too. As a teenager, I gashed the bottom of my foot open on a piece of broken glass that was just under the surface of the sand - bad enough to require a trip to the hospital to be cleaned out and stitched up. No fun and very painful too..:(

wombat2u2004
09-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Yup - there's something to be said for foot protection at the beach too. As a teenager, I gashed the bottom of my foot open on a piece of broken glass that was just under the surface of the sand - bad enough to require a trip to the hospital to be cleaned out and stitched up. No fun and very painful too..:(

That happened to me to.
But I won't let some cretin who wants to break glass on the beach spoil my day.
I still go barefoot.

pomtzu
09-10-2010, 06:07 PM
That happened to me to.
But I won't let some cretin who wants to break glass on the beach spoil my day.
I still go barefoot.

Yeah - same here. The sandals come off only when closer to the water, but walking across the dunes and out to where I stake out my spot, then the sandals stay on! :p

wombat2u2004
09-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Sissy. :p

pomtzu
09-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Sissy. :p

:eek: Must I bring up those Wombelina wings again??? :confused: You just put them on and skim along above the ground, without having to endanger those little tootsies...:D Wimp!!! :eek:

cassiesmom
09-10-2010, 06:35 PM

No. Letting a child go barefoot is a far cry from neglect. But letting a child go barefoot in a potentially hazardous environment ... not smart, as far as I'm concerned. I'm a nurse and I saw the child's dirty feet as a risky move on the part of the parent. I'm not a parent and I totally get that some of you disagree with me.

Now, I'm sorry I brought it up and let's move on to another topic! Who's got plans for the weekend?

wombat2u2004
09-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Now, I'm sorry I brought it up and let's move on to another topic! Who's got plans for the weekend?

Me. I'm burning my fairy wings because the sissy called me a wimp :p:p

wombat2u2004
09-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Yeah - same here. The sandals come off only when closer to the water, but walking across the dunes and out to where I stake out my spot, then the sandals stay on! :p

There you are !!! Just for you, next time you go to the beach.
Ohhh....would you like a matching bucket and spade to go with those ??? :D

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae186/wombat2u2004/shoes_iaec1188325-1.jpg

Catlady711
09-10-2010, 08:22 PM

Not safe in the water either. I once cut the heck out of my foot on a broken shell while while wading in water up to my knees, and another time on a very sharp rock while in up to my waist. Now I always wear swim shoes in the water.

Daisy and Delilah
09-10-2010, 08:56 PM
No. Letting a child go barefoot is a far cry from neglect. But letting a child go barefoot in a potentially hazardous environment ... not smart, as far as I'm concerned. I'm a nurse and I saw the child's dirty feet as a risky move on the part of the parent. I'm not a parent and I totally get that some of you disagree with me.

Sorry, I just can't seem to move on.

I never let my kids go barefoot in a dangerous or nasty place.

I'm in shock that any parent would not be bothered by this. Wal-Mart is a breeding ground for filth.:(

I don't think every child should wear shoes but their feet should not touch the ground. Ewwwwwww!!!

Lady's Human
09-10-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm in shock that any parent would not be bothered by this. Wal-Mart is a breeding ground for filth.:(

So is the rest of this planet. Your point would be? I'd rather have them barefoot in WalMart than running barefoot on a lawn treated with chemicals.

Don't sweat the small stuff. a child sighted ONCE barefoot is not worth getting upset about.

Again, all parents, no matter how saintly or perfect they are, have their moments. Stuff happens.

Daisy and Delilah
09-10-2010, 09:13 PM
So is the rest of this planet. Your point would be? I'd rather have them barefoot in WalMart than running barefoot on a lawn treated with chemicals.

Don't sweat the small stuff. a child sighted ONCE barefoot is not worth getting upset about.

Again, all parents, no matter how saintly or perfect they are, have their moments. Stuff happens.

I've heard some things over the years that we are becoming too clean as a society. Being too careful to avoid germs. Studies have proven that our immune systems aren't as strong for this reason and other reasons.
I like to look at all sides in a discussion and think about what people are saying.
I have now thought about it and I think there are just different schools of thought on children being barefoot in some situations.

Giving the benefit of the doubt, I realize that it might possibly not be such a bad thing.:confused:

Having said that....I still can't imagine myself personally going barefoot at WalMart.:)

ETA: I would hate to see my child walking barefoot on a chemically treated lawn as well.:(

Marigold2
09-10-2010, 09:56 PM
I totally agree the fifth on that floor and in the parking lot :eek:
And then there is the issue of broken glass, engine oil, burning black top, rusty nails, small rocks or pebbles, feet being cut and infection setting in.
Maybe the parents were tired, over worked, maybe the kids did take their shoes off, however as a parent it is our job no matter how tired, over worked or ill we are to ALWAYS do the best for our children, to always keep them out of harm's way.
That is how I saw my role as a mom. Walking barefoot in a store or in a parking lot is not safe.
Now Elyse my plans for this weekend are to work in my yard and relax.
How about you?
Maybe get together with some friends.

Lady's Human
09-10-2010, 10:01 PM
I totally agree the fifth on that floor and in the parking lot :eek:
And then there is the issue of broken glass, engine oil, burning black top, rusty nails, small rocks or pebbles, feet being cut and infection setting in.
Maybe the parents were tired, over worked, maybe the kids did take their shoes off, however as a parent it is our job no matter how tired, over worked or ill we are to ALWAYS do the best for our children, to always keep them out of harm's way.
That is how I saw my role as a mom. Walking barefoot in a store or in a parking lot is not safe.
Now Elyse my plans for this weekend are to work in my yard and relax.
How about you?
Maybe get together with some friends.

Congratulations to you all.

I wish I could be as perfect a parent as you are, alas, I have fallen short. :rolleyes:

Marigold2
09-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Geez don't be so hard on yourself.

Lady's Human
09-10-2010, 10:07 PM
:rolleyes:

Maybe a few of you ladies could get together and write a book on how to be a perfect parent?

I'm deeply disturbed by the fact that my wife and I have no earthly idea how to raise children. We need your wisdom and guidance before our children get injured by our blatant incompetence.

Marigold2
09-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Well that is what makes the world so interesting. Different views, opinions, thoughts, hopes, dreams, talents....
I didn't say I was perfect I said I did not think it was a good idea to let a child go barefoot in a parking lot.
Would you really allow your child to do that?
What about sailing around the world when they are 14?
Backpacking through Europe when they are 17?
Joining the military at 17?
Driving cross country at 17 for spring break with 5 other kids?
Going to an island or FL for spring break?
Being at the mall alone at 12 or 14 late at night?
Riding in a car with a boy you only met once at 15?
I have been a mom for 32 years and the choices you have to make are endless and get more frightening as they get older.
I don't know how old your kids are but it is a tough job and I wish you luck cause we all need it.

RICHARD
09-10-2010, 10:19 PM
By the time they are walking about they have stopped putting their toes into their mouths.

I was laughing about an article I saw about kids, germs and illness

My parents and sibs used to take the kids out camping when they were about two-three months old.

Park them under a tree in a playpen and rock on.

----------------
I laugh when I see parents freak out as they bubble wrap the spawn to take them outdoors.

The same parents will hold a measles/mumps party, but will try and isolate them from the regular shiat that we all face in everyday living.

Remember what happened to the indiges in North America when the 'sick' Euros came to town and handed out those filthy blankets?;):eek::o:D

RICHARD
09-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Wal-Mart is a breeding ground for filth.:

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

I heart you!:)

kitten645
09-10-2010, 10:33 PM
While "building up an immune" system is great in theory, consider child mortality rates then and now. "Stuff happens" indeed but why not hedge your bets where you can. Indeed a child or any human for that matter faces all sorts of threats and dangers. Might as well eliminate as many as you can where you have control.

Lady's Human
09-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Yep. Bubblewrap them and then be surprised when the world reaches out and slaps them with reality.

Sorry, I'm a firm believer in letting them learn from their actions.

RICHARD
09-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Yep. Bubblewrap them and then be surprised when the world reaches out and slaps them with reality.

Oh, just because you were there to explain to your children how to behave?;)

pomtzu
09-11-2010, 06:00 AM

Maybe a few of you ladies could get together and write a book on how to be a perfect parent?

I'm deeply disturbed by the fact that my wife and I have no earthly idea how to raise children. We need your wisdom and guidance before our children get injured by our blatant incompetence.

Excuse what I am about to say, but this is a ridiculous statement (2 actually!) if I ever heard one. I didn't see one person here, claim to be a perfect parent, and no one is saying that you and your wife don't know how to raise children. This whole issue has been blown totally out of proportion. Most just feel that letting children go barefoot in a less than even somewhat clean environment, is potentially asking for trouble. That's their opinion, and no one is trying to force their views down anyone else's throat. I think that we share the opinion, that it isn't worth the risk of injury or infection, when even just a simple pair of flip-flops or crocs, could reduce it to practically nothing. But we are all free to do as we see fit, and we should - and will - carry on as such.

Lady's Human
09-11-2010, 07:55 AM
And I will continue parenting as I see fit. The problem with that is one of these days, some holier than thou busybody can call CPS because I'm doing XYZ that they don't agree with, and open a case.

Reading this thread I see nothing but an attitude of I don't know what the hell I'm doing as a parent.

Sorry, I call 'em like I see 'em.

Don't like it? Oh well.

Bonny
09-11-2010, 08:21 AM
I guess common sense would play a big part in parenting, some have it & some don't & some are in the process of learning it. ;)

Lady's Human
09-11-2010, 08:23 AM
And some have decided that they want nothing to do with it..................

Bonny
09-11-2010, 08:38 AM
And some have decided that they want nothing to do with it..................

Well in that case pay the consequences. Let the village try to help raise the children.

Lady's Human
09-11-2010, 08:49 AM
The village can get the hell out of my life, thank you.

Bonny
09-11-2010, 08:53 AM
So the school system, churches, human services don't count? They are part of the village. Your tax dollars at work.

Lady's Human
09-11-2010, 09:02 AM
The church is supported by tax dollars? Damn, didn't know that.

When the village becomes a bunch of nattering busybodies, they can , quite frankly, kiss my posterior and exit, stage left.

lizbud
09-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Excuse what I am about to say, but this is a ridiculous statement (2 actually!) if I ever heard one. I didn't see one person here, claim to be a perfect parent, and no one is saying that you and your wife don't know how to raise children. This whole issue has been blown totally out of proportion. Most just feel that letting children go barefoot in a less than even somewhat clean environment, is potentially asking for trouble. That's their opinion, and no one is trying to force their views down anyone else's throat. I think that we share the opinion, that it isn't worth the risk of injury or infection, when even just a simple pair of flip-flops or crocs, could reduce it to practically nothing. But we are all free to do as we see fit, and we should - and will - carry on as such.

Seems LH is taking this subject a bit too personally & he feels a need
to defend his choices as a parent. That's his problem, not anyone elses.
Maybe his town is a "Mayberry, USA" with old dirt roads that lead to the
favorite fishing hole at the end of the lane. It certainly isn't a modern
"big city" with mega stores & parking lots that I'm thinking of.

I hope no one is eating breakfast but, have you ever seen somebody
blow their nose outside without benefit of kleenex? chew & spit tobacco
out on the ground? Cough & hack and proceed to let fly with what ever
they bring up from their lungs? Geeze.:eek:

Let my small child walk barefoot through all that & more? No thanks.

and for those who think putting shoes on a child who doesn't want to wear
them is just too much of a hassle, just wait a few years, things can get a
whole lot tougher for parents to make the right decisons & carry them out
when the child gets a little older. Just saying.:)

pomtzu
09-11-2010, 09:18 AM
I didn't see one person here, claim to be a perfect parent, and no one is saying that you and your wife don't know how to raise children.
Most just feel that letting children go barefoot in a less than even somewhat clean environment, is potentially asking for trouble. That's their opinion, and no one is trying to force their views down anyone else's throat.

LH - I think you missed this part...too bad, since it has validity.
AMEN! and I'm done. Have a wonderful day!

Bonny
09-11-2010, 09:29 AM
I do know churches are non profit & aren't part of the taxing system. But they are part of the system. They help cloth, feed, take care of the sick & needy.

LH, this is not an attack on you. What about opinions & learning? When you posted the pictures of your children in the garden they looked healthy, & happy. I am not attacking your personal parenting. Everyone has to deal with their situation in their own way. Gotta go to work & with be with all kinds of families today. :)

Asiel
09-11-2010, 09:37 AM

Took the words right out of my mouth , couldn't have said it any better.

Asiel
09-11-2010, 09:41 AM

Even if it means letting them step on a discarded used syringe? That's a hard lesson for an innocent child to learn through no fault of his own....:confused:

Lady's Human
09-11-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm out.

Biddies and nannies, have at it, just leave parents alone unless there's a serious problem.

I don't take parenting advice from relatives, I'm damned sure not going to take it from a bunch of biddies on a forum.

By the way, in all the serious cases of child neglect you read about in the news, and wonder where CPS/DSS et al were?

Chasing down complaints from biddies who saw a child barefoot at wal-mart. They have to investigate all reports.

Karen
09-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Okay, calm down folks. I do know that, even as a child, when I was barefoot, I paid more attention to where I was putting my feet. Don't you all? This was one incident, and frankly, the person who was lax was the "greeter" or the store staff, as I am sure there's a policy against people entering barefoot.

Yes, when a child is barefoot, he or she might step on something sharp and cut him or herself. I know I did, a sharp rock in a brook once "got" me. Did I live to grow up anyway? Yup, or none of you would have this forum to play in. And I don;t know about your Wal-Mart, but I have never, ever seen a discarded needle on the floor or mine. Or even in the parking lot. You don't know the circumstances, you really don't. If this child was permitted to walk barefoot through a drug-infested, crime-filled, unclean streets with broken glass and metal, that would be one thing. A store? Filthy, yes, but as dangerous? Not hardly.

And Lizbud, Lady's Human lives in a rural area, yes. They do, however, have malls and giant parking lots not too far away in town - they are still in America after all.

lizbud
09-11-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm out.

Biddies and nannies, have at it, just leave parents alone unless there's a serious problem.

I don't take parenting advice from relatives, I'm damned sure not going to take it from a bunch of biddies on a forum.

Quote:

The trouble with being a parent is that by the time you are experienced, you are unemployed. ~Author Unknown

Lady's Human
09-11-2010, 12:34 PM
The trouble with being a parent is that everyone in society knows how to do it better than you do, regardless of their experience.

Again, your personal experience applies not a whit to my children. They aren't your children, they don't live in your town, and don't go to your schools.

lizbud
09-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Yes, when a child is barefoot, he or she might step on something sharp and cut him or herself. I know I did, a sharp rock in a brook once "got" me. Did I live to grow up anyway?

And Lizbud, Lady's Human lives in a rural area, yes. They do, however, have malls and giant parking lots not too far away in town - they are still in America after all.

I was running in a city park with sandals on & stepped on broken glass
which cut right through the sole of my sandal. It cut my foot badly & I didn't
even feel it. Only noticed a wetness & squishy feeling on my foot, untill I saw
the blood pouring out. You can be hurt even when you are doing whats
considered safe.

I memtioned Mayberry USA (fiction) as the only place I considered safe to go barefoot down a road. LH chose to make this subject all about him & his parenting style, nobody else did that Karen.

cassiesmom
09-11-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm out.

By the way, in all the serious cases of child neglect you read about in the news, and wonder where CPS/DSS et al were?

Chasing down complaints from biddies who saw a child barefoot at wal-mart. They have to investigate all reports.

(banging head on desk) Okay, okay. I wasn't trying to offer parenting advice. It was just an observation. And LH, I am definitely not a biddy! Can we just agree to disagree? I'm sorry I incited a controversy. Once again I apologize for having brought it up at all.

Thank you,
Elyse

Daisy and Delilah
09-11-2010, 01:56 PM
How did we get to this point on this discussion? I am flabbergasted. I gave my opinion on something. That's all. I would never accuse anyone of being a bad parent unless I observed bad parenting firsthand.

LH, it's your choice to let your children do whatever you want your children to do. The same goes for me and everyone else. If I let my child eat candy it doesn't necessarily make me a bad parent. If I let my child drink soda it doesn't necessarily make me a bad parent, etc. etc.

We are merely having a discussion here. I believe anyone is entitled to not like to be barefooted and not want their children to be barefooted. Either choice doesn't necessarily make us a bad parent.

No one was calling anyone or accusing anyone of being a bad parent.

For the record....I am neither a biddy or a nanny either!! For heaven's sake. I don't think I've seen anything like this in all my years on this board. An innocent observation of strangers has turned into a name calling, accusatory melee. What next??

Bonny
09-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Nasty things do happen at Wal Mart

We were waiting outside for some friends that were in Wal Mart shopping. We saw a guy take off his shoes & then his socks while sitting on a lawn mower display & trim his toe nails. :eek:

Cataholic
09-11-2010, 06:02 PM
I don't see such a big deal regarding a child going barefoot, even in walmart. I haven't seen much dangerous materials at my big box stores.

Is it clean? I don't think so. Is it overly safe? Probably not. But it just doesn't rank up there in the top 10 sins of child rearing, in my book.

It is kind of funny, the discussion on sanitary issues...sure the childs foot gets dirty. Just like the shoe that is then worn into the house.

Like LH...I feel pretty comfortable with my parenting decisions. For people to fall out over this seems so minor in my book.

Lady's Human
09-11-2010, 06:29 PM
I can't believe any parent would let a child go barefoot in stores and parking lots. Some people don't deserve kids period.

quite another.

I swear I don't know where parent's minds are these days. Unbelievable!!!

It isn't allways easy to be the parent & make informed decisions for your
children, but hey, it is our JOB & our responsibilty.

And yes - I successfully raised 2 children to adulthood, in spite of all the household perils, and those away from the home too. Just part of responsible parenting, I guess.

Don't be sorry, you were right all along.:) This isn't just an appearances
type of thing, it is a safety issue. If other parents don't see that, then so
be it. :rolleyes:

Parents are just letting their kids run things these days. Bad parenting...

Nah, don't see how this thread got confrontational at all.......

Lady's Human
09-11-2010, 06:32 PM
By the way, Liz, even out here in the sticks we gots wal marts and them big grocery stores an Everything!

We even gots a bunch a car dealerships an a Chuck-e-Cheeze!

pomtzu
09-11-2010, 06:52 PM

Never one thing amiss?

No. just amazed that people can be so judgmental about the parenting abilities of generations based on a child sighted in passing barefoot in a checkout line.

Priceless.

I wish I could be as perfect a parent as you are, alas, I have fallen short. :rolleyes:

And I will continue parenting as I see fit. The problem with that is one of these days, some holier than thou busybody can call CPS because I'm doing XYZ that they don't agree with, and open a case.

Reading this thread I see nothing but an attitude of I don't know what the hell I'm doing as a parent.

Don't like it? Oh well.

When the village becomes a bunch of nattering busybodies, they can , quite frankly, kiss my posterior and exit, stage left.

I'm out.

The trouble with being a parent is that everyone in society knows how to do it better than you do, regardless of their experience.

Again, your personal experience applies not a whit to my children. They aren't your children, they don't live in your town, and don't go to your schools.

Gee - I don't either. :eek: :rolleyes:

Lady's Human
09-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Point being, pom, that those were posted AFTER parents who let their children go barefoot were accused of neglect and other things by more than one poster.

Had nothing to do with the OP, it had to do with the exceedingly over the top responses by the saints and paragons of parenting in the commentariat.

lizbud
09-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Quoted by pomtzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady's Human

Never one thing amiss?

Quote:

Quote:

Priceless.

Quote:

I wish I could be as perfect a parent as you are, alas, I have fallen short.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Don't like it? Oh well.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
I'm out.

Quote:

Quote:

Gee - I don't either.

Pom,
We might as well continue to be the grownups here and just let this be. LH,
as usual, wants to have the last word & I say let him.

He might just hold his breath till he turns blue or something.:D I can't have that on my concience. :)

pomtzu
09-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Point being, pom, that those were posted AFTER parents who let their children go barefoot were accused of neglect and other things by more than one poster.

Had nothing to do with the OP, it had to do with the exceedingly over the top responses by the saints and paragons of parenting in the commentariat.

And point being LH, that no one accused YOU of being a bad parent, just as none of us said we were faultless parents. You had to make a comment about being immaculately clothed and groomed - no one said anything about that either - except for you.
The whole point was about safety of the children - referencing parents who make this a regular practice, and not just a fluke that might happen once in a blue moon. The thread snowballed out of control, and the whole point was lost. Frankly, I'm glad that so many different points and opinions were stated. If it was seen by, and changes even one parent's mind that makes this a practice on a regular basis, maybe after reading this, they will see things that they never considered before, and have second thoughts about having protection on the kid's feet when in less than favorable conditions.
Now it's time for a truce............

Lady's Human
09-11-2010, 08:13 PM
And the reason it blew up is very simple.

The safety hazard isn't that great. (Boys and girls, IV drug users don't tend to dispose of their needles AT ALL, never mind in the parking lot, if they ditch it they're trying to hide it so the cops can't find it. A paved parking lot hardly fits that description)

People were judging based on one observer's 30 second look at the child.

I let my children go barefoot, sometimes, heaven forbid, in public areas.

People, including you, have determined that it's bad parenting to let the little darlings go barefoot like that.

Hence you are judging, by extension, my parenting, and frankly, you have no basis to do so to me or the person referenced in the original post.

If you're without sin, go ahead, cast that mutha.

Truce? No, sorry, isn't happening. Insulting someone's parenting is about as personal as you can get.

caseysmom
09-11-2010, 09:08 PM
When I was about 10 our family dog went missing. Me and my sister were beside ourselves and crying. My Dad said okay first thing in the morning we will run to the shelter.

I jumped in Dad's truck with no shoes and they wouldn't let me in, I could hear Ranger barking from outside though and knew he was inside. Was my dad an irresponsible bad parent...now way he was the best.

I am not taking sides or trying to make the op feel bad just saying I get LH's point completely. Don't swet the small stuff cuz then the big stuff gets overlooked.

wombat2u2004
09-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Ok people. Time to kiss and make friends.
I've even made a Friendship Cake for you all.
Enjoy ;)

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae186/wombat2u2004/Candle_Flameless_Electric_Southern_Friendship_Bund t_Cake_120_Lg.jpg

happylabs
09-11-2010, 11:51 PM
It seems as though we may have hit a nerve here. You have to wonder why someone would be offended by a post like this.

pomtzu
09-12-2010, 06:54 AM
And the reason it blew up is very simple.

The safety hazard isn't that great. (Boys and girls, IV drug users don't tend to dispose of their needles AT ALL, never mind in the parking lot, if they ditch it they're trying to hide it so the cops can't find it. A paved parking lot hardly fits that description)

People were judging based on one observer's 30 second look at the child.

I let my children go barefoot, sometimes, heaven forbid, in public areas.

People, including you, have determined that it's bad parenting to let the little darlings go barefoot like that.

Hence you are judging, by extension, my parenting, and frankly, you have no basis to do so to me or the person referenced in the original post.

If you're without sin, go ahead, cast that mutha.

Truce? No, sorry, isn't happening. Insulting someone's parenting is about as personal as you can get.

Well - you still don't see my point at all, and obviously you don't care to. Again - it made reference to folks that make this a common practice, and not the once in a blue moon incidents. The original post only opened up the subject to discussion and people's views on the subject in general. If you take those blinders off, you might see this too, thru your hard-headed, know it all, argumentative, I'm right/you're wrong, head. Sorry I even suggested a truce, since I'm obviously the big bad enemy, and I know nothing.

ETA: I offer the proverbial olive branch, and I'm told by implication, to stick it where the sun don't shine. Nice!

Bonny
09-12-2010, 08:59 AM
It seems as though we may have hit a nerve here. You have to wonder why someone would be offended by a post like this.

I am thinking the same thing. :(

Cataholic
09-12-2010, 09:37 AM

Scratches head....whether you agree with LH opinion or not, it seems relatively clear why he is, in fact, offended by the comments in the OP and following posts.
Your comment, IMO, simply seeks to stir the embers.

Catlady711
09-12-2010, 10:23 AM
whether you agree with LH opinion or not, it seems relatively clear why he is, in fact, offended by the comments in the OP and following posts.

Yup, you said it better than I could.

lizbud
09-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Ok people. Time to kiss and make friends.
I've even made a Friendship Cake for you all.
Enjoy ;)

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae186/wombat2u2004/Candle_Flameless_Electric_Southern_Friendship_Bund t_Cake_120_Lg.jpg

OMG, A fruitcake on steriods.:eek:

lizbud
09-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Scratches head....whether you agree with LH opinion or not, it seems relatively clear why he is, in fact, offended by the comments in the OP and following posts.
Your comment, IMO, simply seeks to stir the embers.

OR, it is simply an observation from someone who hasn't posted before
and therefore has no "skin in the game".

Marigold2
09-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Me thinks the lady protests too much.

Bonny
09-12-2010, 10:52 AM
I'll have a piece of your cake Wom. It looks scary though. :eek:

Cataholic
09-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Me thinks the lady protests too much.

Your botox injections have affected your eyesight. It isn't me that is involved, nitwit.

Karen
09-12-2010, 12:22 PM
She was referring, I think, to happylabs' post.

Cataholic
09-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Or, perhaps, she was "cleverly" playing with words...Lady...Lady's Human. Dunno.

But, I stand by my post anyhow. LOL.

Marigold2
09-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Nope, The lady is ? is Lady's Human.

She was referring, I think, to happylabs' post.

wombat2u2004
09-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Smoke ???? Anyone ???

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae186/wombat2u2004/Offering20the20Peace20Pipe.jpg

Come on....time to take a puff and make friends folks.

Karen
09-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Nope, The lady is ? is Lady's Human.

Lady's Human is not female, he is male - my brother. And has decided he is not going to participate in this thread any more, anyway.