PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant says NO to screaming children!

snakemama
09-09-2010, 12:13 PM
http://www.wect.com/global/story.asp?s=13107715#

CAROLINA BEACH, NC (WECT) - A restaurant in Carolina Beach is stirring up controversy over a couple of signs reading, "Screaming children will not be tolerated."

The owner of the Olde Salty restaurant, Brenda Armes, is tired of having her customers complain to her about children misbehaving and screaming when others are trying to enjoy a quiet meal.

Armes says the signs have worked.

"It has been a good thing for us," Armes said. "It has brought us in more customers than it has ever kept away."

Gary Gibson was dining at the restaurant for the first time and agrees with Armes.

"It's not very enjoyable when you hear a bunch of kids screaming. It's nice to see a sign like that up," Gibson said.

While many are for the rule, some families are against it.

"I've never seen a restaurant say, don't bring your screaming kids in here," said Ashley Heflin, who is a mom of two. "You can't help it if your kids scream."

Armes says that if a child is screaming, a restaurant employee will ask the parent to take them outside to calm down. They will not be asked to leave the restaurant for good.

"We want to attract the type of people that come in knowing they aren't going to have to sit behind a table with a bunch of screaming children," Armes said.

Copyright 2010 WECT. All rights reserved.

It's about time! A policy like this would make any restaurant a regular date-night stop for me and the hubby. As for the woman who said "you can't help it if your kids scream" HA! Yeah right. You can always step outside and not inflict it on others.

This article totally made my morning.

lvpets2002
09-09-2010, 12:22 PM
:) Hey I totally agree with them.. I will avoid a eating place for sure if there is screaming kids in there.. And the owners of the place has that right to make their owns rules..

sparks19
09-09-2010, 12:32 PM
I am a mom and I agree with this too. I can't stand going to a restaurant with kids who are screaming and the parents just sit there like they don't even hear it or care. I do not allow hannah to carry on like that in a restaurant and she's knows not to act up but if she was really in a mood and was screaming we would leave. It's not enjoyable for us either to sit there with a screaming child of our own. leaving would be the best option for everyone. the patrons, the parents and for the child.

there is no reason to let your child carry on like that and not DO something about it. If it cuts your night short... well so be it

pomtzu
09-09-2010, 12:52 PM
What I find even more annoying (if that's possible), is "the monster in the booth behind you". This kid rocks and bangs on the back of the booth he is in, and it reverberates into the one you're sitting in. Then he stands up and hangs over the back of his seat and into the booth you are in, starring at you and your party, and sometimes practically slobbering down your back, and all the while, kicking the back of the booth he is in! And the parents say nothing to the little darlings!!! I have on more than one occasion, asked the parents to please control their child/chilldren, as I would really like to eat my dinner in peace.

Do they have "No Children" sections in restaurants, as there used to be "No Smoking" ones? :confused::eek: If not - there should be!

Pinot's Mom
09-09-2010, 12:57 PM
"I've never seen a restaurant say, don't bring your screaming kids in here," said Ashley Heflin, who is a mom of two. "You can't help it if your kids scream."
That quote really got me! If YOU can't help it if your kids scream, why not?? Isn't that called PARENTING? RESPONSIBILITY (I know, that's a bad word)??:rolleyes:

I am for this policy completely, and I'm also for a no cell phone policy in restaurants. I was at lunch yesterday, at a place I go often, in a booth (alone, reading while eating). At the next booth, the man answered one of those annoying communicators that squawk really loudly when someone's at the other end, then proceeded to hold the thing several inches from his head and have a VERY HIGH VOLUME conversation not three feet from me. This is the type of adult these screaming kids grow up to be; not a pleasant prospect!

*LabLoverKEB*
09-09-2010, 01:14 PM
I am happy to see this. And I think that Sparks19 is a responsible parent for also agreeing with this, I would have thought most parents would be offended by this, but who knows. It is really annoying to have screaming (and kids who kick booths/chairs) children while you are trying to enjoy a meal! But I also feel for the parents, at least the ones who are trying everything to keep their children happy and busy while at a restaurant.

snakemama
09-09-2010, 01:18 PM
My bestie has an adorable nine month old daughter who is normally a total sweetie, but last time we went out to dinner she and I spent more time walking in circles around the parking lot than actually eating. Poor little one had had it with the noisy restaurant.

Pembroke_Corgi
09-09-2010, 01:29 PM
It seems like the restaurant owners should be allowed to decide that kind of thing so I don't know why anyone would think it controversial (like it states in the article). It's probably a good thing, though, so parents and people who want to get away for a quiet meal know what to expect. Maybe every restaurant should have some kind of a policy on loudness (and not just for little kids- there are plenty of obnoxious adults out there, too!).

I do think it is rude if parents let their kids scream for too long in public places. No, sometimes it can't be helped when kids decide to have a meltdown, but you can remove the child from the situation. Lately my daughter is harder to eat out with because she is on the go all the time and doesn't like to sit down for a long time. I have to make sure to either find a place that will keep the visit short or plan ahead to keep her occupied in some way. There are plenty of child-friendly restaurants so I don't see why anyone would be offended by this sign.

Alysser
09-09-2010, 01:46 PM

This is like me saying "I can't help it if I can't control my dog at the dog park or in a pet store". Mikey doesn't behave well in social situations, so he stays at home. He gets plenty of walks but not to petstores, although I would eventually like to find a nice dog park, we haven't tried him at one of those.

But anyway, it's usually irresponsible parents who are the first to complain about responsible pet owners. I don't understand why you'd be offended by this sign. It's not saying you can't come in the restaurant if you have children and they're not going to kick you out if your kid started screaming, but it's not fair to subject people to a child screaming in public. I find it rude when anyone is screaming in a restaurant, not just kids. But you can certainly control your own kid, it's called taking responsibility. I suppose some people always need something to be "offended" about lol.

cassiesmom
09-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Boy, this is a tough one. Some restaurants are just more family-friendly than others. My mom used to always have me pick out a book or a quiet toy for a diversion if she knew we were going to a place where waiting would be involved.

But adults ... I've sat next to a group of adults making loud conversation, or someone talking nonstop on a cell phone. So maybe the restaurant should consider restricting noisy adults as well as screaming children.

Bonny
09-09-2010, 02:49 PM
One time I was giving a young mother with her two children a tour along with an older lady that had joined us. They were good little kids but the little boy got to noisy for the older lady & she told the mother to shut the little boy up. The older lady, little girl & I proceeded into the parlor room & the mother stayed in another room with the little boy. I ended up going between rooms & apolgizing for the older ladies actions. Both were paying guests.:eek: I thought at the end of the tour they would go there separate ways but they both ended up in the gift shop. The mother was a good mom & bought the children some books & the older lady bought some books too. I hate to say this but the older lady reminded me of a mean old prison warden. She looked like she could eat nails. With the cell phones there is nothing like hearing about the trials & tribulations of peoples lifes. :rolleyes:

prechrswife
09-09-2010, 02:59 PM
That quote really got me! If YOU can't help it if your kids scream, why not?? Isn't that called PARENTING? RESPONSIBILITY (I know, that's a bad word)??

I'm a parent of 3 small kids, and that quote hit me the same way. We do eat out with our kids, and they will be kids, but we don't tolerate screaming and running around in a restaurant. We've taught them that from the beginning, and they know that's the way it is. We actually get lots of compliments on our kids' behavior when we do eat out.

We were at a local Chinese buffet restaurant at lunch one day, and two men seated at the booth next to us got up and moved about 3 booths down when we were seated next to them. Our kids...quiet. The two men...talking very loudly and using foul language within earshot of our kids.:confused:

As someone else said, some restaurants are just more family-friendly than others, and we do try to keep that in mind when we are trying to figure out where to go.

momcat
09-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Good for them! It's about time! Hopefully others will follow their lead.

Casper
09-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me! I remember when my sister and I were little.. if we acted up in public my mum wouldn't hesitate to give us a good ol' butt-whooping. Granted, I was a silent child, so I didn't have a problem with this. ;)

I also think restaurants should encourage people to put their cellphones on silent. One of my mum's friends often takes me out to eat as thanks for helping her with her computer. She's good company, and I love talking with her, but she never has her phone on silent. Last time we ate together her phone was ringing off the hook... and on top of that, she has one of those ringtones that are just high-pitched jibberish. I can guarantee that every single face in the restaurant was looking at us. I was about ready to crawl under the table...

Haha, sorry. I got a tad bit off topic.

neko1
09-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Do they have "No Children" sections in restaurants, as there used to be "No Smoking" ones? :confused::eek: If not - there should be!

That would be awesome! As a childfree individual who lives a quiet life, my ears cannot tolerate such excessive noise from screaming children.

Kids want to yell? That's fine if you're at Chuck-e-cheese, but please, if it's a nice place to eat, I don't want to hear your kids screaming or running around or kicking the booth, etc.... it gives me an instant headache.

(I too, cannot stand adults yapping loudly on their cell phones either- they can be just as bad as kids!)

Lady's Human
09-09-2010, 04:34 PM
We have left a restaurant once for the kids misbehaving and causing a ruckus.

Hasn't happened since, and won't.

Remember...............the parents are in charge, not the children.

Frankly more restaurants should have this policy. Why would I be offended for a business owner doing what's best for his business?

Asiel
09-09-2010, 04:50 PM
What I find even more annoying (if that's possible), is "the monster in the booth behind you". This kid rocks and bangs on the back of the booth he is in, and it reverberates into the one you're sitting in. Then he stands up and hangs over the back of his seat and into the booth you are in, starring at you and your party, and sometimes practically slobbering down your back, and all the while, kicking the back of the booth he is in! And the parents say nothing to the little darlings!!! I have on more than one occasion, asked the parents to please control their child/chilldren, as I would really like to eat my dinner in peace.

Oh boy can I relate to that one. I could choke the parents who allow their kids to statd on seats let alone kick the back of the seat that I'm sitting in (guess you know the reason for this)
We've had meals ruined by screaming brats so many times. I really can't blame the kids but the parents deserve to be told to get out. I would patronize any restaurant that had a sign like this one. We've even been in a restaurant where a child about 3 yrs had a temper tantrum and was dragging on the floor kicking and screaming, the parents were trying to talk to him in a quiet tone. I can't imagine letting a liitle kid roll on a floor where everyone has been walking. We always took our kids to restaurants and they knew beforehand that any talking was to be done in a hushed tone and no squirming or fooling around. Never had a problem but then I didn't allow it at home either , table manners are taught at home if you expect it in public places.

Asiel
09-09-2010, 04:52 PM
I am a mom and I agree with this too. I can't stand going to a restaurant with kids who are screaming and the parents just sit there like they don't even hear it or care. I do not allow hannah to carry on like that in a restaurant and she's knows not to act up but if she was really in a mood and was screaming we would leave. It's not enjoyable for us either to sit there with a screaming child of our own. leaving would be the best option for everyone. the patrons, the parents and for the child.

there is no reason to let your child carry on like that and not DO something about it. If it cuts your night short... well so be it

You sound like my kind of parents Sparks19 , congratulations on raising Hannah to be respectful of others.

Laura's Babies
09-09-2010, 05:10 PM
My kids KNEW better than to scream out in public! It was not allowed at home or in public.

I strongly resent going out for a nice quiet meal and being bombarded with loud music, loud conversation OR screaming Kids! My daughter and husband like to go to eat at a popular steak house and I find the whole thing as loud as a bar room with people talking to loud and loud music playing.. I just find it hard to eat in all that noise.. you can't even carry on a conversation!

To any parent who is offended that no one wants to listen to their kids scream, TO BAD! Why should your uncontrollable child be allowed to interfere with a restaurant full of people who planned on a nice quiet meal?

Husky_mom
09-09-2010, 05:17 PM
excuse me?... but.. what??!!

Ashley Heflin, who is a mom of two. "You can't help it if your kids scream."

you´ve got to be kidding me!!!.. seriously she said that?.. wow.. lol

as said tons times before me.. we are the parents.. and while sometimes kids do give hard times.. it´s up to us to control them or remove them from the premises..

but I think that is too much work for her (Ashely Heflin and similars).. guess parenting is not her forte :rolleyes:

phesina
09-09-2010, 07:12 PM

This article totally made my morning.

Mine too! I think I'm about ready to take a drive to North Carolina so I can dine in that restaurant!

GoldenLover
09-09-2010, 09:12 PM
I also agree but would like to see this policy extended to grocery stores, movie theaters, and everywhere else too ;)

Also, it would be neat if there were more "pet friendly" places. Like a grocery store where you could shop with your pet. Or a restaurant with outside seating you could put them next to you in. I think if people are allowed to bring their children everywhere, pet owners should be allowed to bring their pets. Children are usually messier, less well behaved, and louder than pets. Being a person with furry children, I would much rather go to a store that I could take my pup with me than have to leave him at home so often. Though the non-furry kid owners may not agree, he's my baby. Not saying everywhere should be that way, but it'd be cool if there were a few more places pet owners could take them. Of course, huge liability involved, so will never happen. Lawyers....

Medusa
09-09-2010, 09:26 PM
I also agree but would like to see this policy extended to grocery stores, movie theaters, and everywhere else too ;)

Ditto. When the boy was, well, a boy, I always received compliments from others about how well behaved and courteous he was. It didn't come naturally; he had to be taught to behave that way. It seems that many parents aren't bothering to take the time to teach their kids, they just seem to want them to get involved in every activity as possible to get them out of their hair. The result: self entitled kids who grow up to be self entitled adults.

luckies4me
09-09-2010, 09:30 PM
The two men...talking very loudly and using foul language within earshot of our kids.:confused:

I have encountered this problem on more than one occasion. Usually a bunch of teenagers or young adults with nothing better to do than curse and act like lunatics while you're eating.

I am very fortunate to have children who behave rather well in restraunts, as well as the theatre. I only recall having a problem with Kai once, when he was younger, and after I realized he couldn't be distracted we asked for a "to-go" box so that we wouldn't distract the other customers. It is rude to let your child carry on when others are trying to enjoy their meal.

Marigold2
09-09-2010, 09:34 PM
I too taught my children to behave in public and they were good. If one started to cry for whatever reason, wet diaper, hunger, sick I left so as not to disturb others but mostly to just take care of my baby.
If a child has mental issues things might get a bit stickey and I would hope that people would be more understanding if a child has autism or another form of mental illness. Just because one is not so called perfect does not mean one cannot go out in public.
If I saw a child who had issues crying I would be much more understanding then a child just being a stinker and mom not doing her job.

moosmom
09-10-2010, 09:14 AM
AMEN!!! There is a God!! I can finally have a nice QUIET meal without a bunch of cranky kids ruining it for me.

*LabLoverKEB*
09-10-2010, 11:36 AM

I agree!

Catlady711
09-10-2010, 09:01 PM
It seems that many parents aren't bothering to take the time to teach their kids, they just seem to want them to get involved in every activity as possible to get them out of their hair. The result: self entitled kids who grow up to be self entitled adults.

Had a client like that come in today. Mom, dad, and 2 kids. The one kid (3?)was fairly quiet and reasonably behaved, stayed in mom's arms the whole time, no issues there (surprising). The other.....well lets just say I hope they never bring him again.

First thing in the door, dad has the dog who is dragging out the retractable leash all over and the guy has NO control over it. Then the p.i.t.a. kid (5?)comes in and promptly kicks off his crocks in two steps as he's walking in the door. Mom follows holding the other child and never even notices the shoes even though she darn near tripped on them coming in. The now shoeless kid is wandering all over the place, dad is being dragged around by the dog who now has the leash fully extended and tied around a chair, the mom is busy intently looking at the bulliten board while the shoes remain just inside the door for some other client to trip over or their dog to chew up.

I call them into the room, make mention that the child will have to put his shoes back on. The dad kinda drags the dog towards the room, while hollaring over his shoulder that the mom needs to get the child's shoes. Mom goes to get the shoes, then just holds on to them while going back to look at the bulliten board and the shoeless kid is still wandering around all over the place.

I say to the dad again that the kid HAS to have the shoes back on. At this point he drags the dog back to mom who is still totally oblivious to anything else going on to tell her what I said. Then she finally corrals the kid to put the shoes on while dad drags the poor dog back to the room. Eventually mom and the now shod child are in the room as well.

When we went in to examine the dog the previously barefoot child is all over the room, under foot, crawling under the lift table, banging on the walls, and screaming, which is scaring the dog we're trying to examine. The parents for the most part completely ignored this. Finally the kid must have gotten in the way enough that dad moved him back towards them more. At which point the child lets out a blood curdling scream "NO", the parents LAUGH at this!! Then the child quite plainly screams "I hate you" and KICKS his dad, HARD!

Do you think the parents lectured him, spanked him, told him to stop, told him sternly not to kick people?? NOPE The dad laughs and says (in a sweet sing song voice) "awww you don't hate me, you love me and you're just mad".

WHAT???? :o:eek: I can guarantee you if I had EVER kicked my mom and screamed 'I hate you', I certainly wouldn't have gotten a sing song response and a laugh!!!!

I see this too often at work. Kids kicking, and punching the parents, screaming bloody murder, and wantering all over and the parents seem totally oblivious to any of it and don't do a single thing to curb the behaviour!! Rather sickening actually.

Marigold2
09-10-2010, 09:10 PM
If they can't control a 5 or 6 year old they will never be able to control a 15 year old.

sparks19
09-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Ditto. When the boy was, well, a boy, I always received compliments from others about how well behaved and courteous he was. It didn't come naturally; he had to be taught to behave that way. It seems that many parents aren't bothering to take the time to teach their kids, they just seem to want them to get involved in every activity as possible to get them out of their hair. The result: self entitled kids who grow up to be self entitled adults.

yeah same here. I'm happy and saddened at the same time lol. I'm glad that she is well behaved and people realize it but sad that this is something people would notice because it's such an oddity.

but really people stop by our table almost every time we are out to talk to hannah or to compliment her... she loves the attention though. HAHA one time this elderly couple were leaving the diner and they stopped to say hi to her and the elderly gentleman ended up singing a song for her. I can't remember what song it was... it was one of those old crooner songs. it was so sweet and hannah loved every moment of it lol

yeah I don't really understand having them in an activity every night of the week. when do they get to be kids? do homework? spend time with their friends and family? that being said... Hannah is enrolled in a dance class starting next week. one day a week for half an hour. she'll love it I think

As for the kids with disabilities... yes I would think people would be more understanding... HOWEVER autism was mentioned and in young children that can be very hard to see to the untrained eye unless it's a REALLY severe case

kitten645
09-10-2010, 10:17 PM
I work at a grocery store. Unfortunately there are health codes that don't allow animals other than service dogs into most public places with food. Ie grocery & restaurants. I know in CA there are many restaurants that have outdoor seating that you can allow your pet to sit with you or on the other side of a gate right next to your table.
At my grocery, I work in a very large non-food housewares sort of area and I offer to doggie sit in my "non-food" section because it's separated by a short flight of stairs so I don't technically sell food.
It's a REALLY big store and everyday I hear kids screaming like banshees for LONG periods of time. I think the parents sometimes become desensitized to it sort of like the "mommymommymommymommymommymommy" syndrome. For those of us who don't live in that world, it is really jarring and unnerving. .

kitten645
09-10-2010, 10:23 PM
PS I ALWAYS compliment parents and kids that are well behaved. It happens so rarely!

Randi
09-11-2010, 06:12 AM
I am for this policy and I'm also for a no cell phone policy in restaurants. There's nothing more annoying than having to listen to screaming children or people blabbering on their cell phones! There should of course be restaurants where children are allowed, but let people make their choices!

In fact, on flights there should be a section for families with children also, so the rest of us can have some peace and quiet.

moosmom
09-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Too bad stores don't have sound proof rooms that parents and their children can sit and eat.

It's really too bad that it's come to this, though. When I was growing up, as my Dad would say, "We could take you kids ANYWHERE!!" That meant if we even thought of putting up a fuss, we'd get "IT" when we got home. But that is from a totally different generation.

Kirsten
09-11-2010, 01:32 PM
We do eat out with our kids, and they will be kids, but we don't tolerate screaming and running around in a restaurant. We've taught them that from the beginning, and they know that's the way it is. We actually get lots of compliments on our kids' behavior when we do eat out.

That's the point! But unfortunately, it's becoming more and more popular for parents to tolerate their kids behaving like monsters; at least here in Germany. In return, it is unpopular to say something against it; if you do, you will be labelled a child hater immediately.

A while ago, we had a similar discussion here in Germany (about a restaurant with a restricted area for screaming kids, so that the guests could enjoy their meals in peace), but parents were furious.

I don't know what's wrong with children these days (or with their parents). I have to listen to screaming kids every day; they're playing on the street outside my house, and it would be nothing wrong with that if they we'ren't screaming ALL THE TIME, and really loud. Even now, at 8:30 pm and already dark outside, I can hear them screaming, and none of their parents is telling them to behave. I think the generation that's currently brough up will be a reckless one 'cause they're not taught to respect others.

Cataholic
09-12-2010, 10:26 AM
I like peace and quiet. I think I have always had a real aversion to noise, any kind of noise. I can still remember the early days of J's life and the live band practice going on next door. As a homeowner, I should be able to exist in my own home, peacefully.

I don't see the reason/need to single out screaming kids/babies. Frankly, of all of society's 'ill behaviours", this is the group of people least likely responsible for their own.

I will take a crying baby over an obnoxious adult any day of the week. I can count on less than one hand the number of times I have been out to dinner/show/movie, and had my time disturbed by screaming children. I would need many more hands to add up the offenses caused by "adults". For some reason, we seem less tolerant of the little ones.

Bonny
09-12-2010, 10:46 AM
I have seen the dirty evil looks people will give each other while dining out, if the cell phone rings or a child is acting up. There are choices to be made. Get up & move to another table or booth or leave the establishment if you can't take it & go home & make yourself a peanut butter & jelly sandwich & eat it in peace although there is a dog that may be pestering you for a nibble. :D

Catlady711
09-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Based on these polls, and the comments here, I'd say the majority supports the restaurant's ban on screaming children.

http://community.polls.todaymoms.com/_question/2010/09/09/5075708-should-restaurants-have-the-right-to-ban-screaming-children

Should restaurants have the right to ban 'screaming children'? After a restaurant in North Carolina stirred up controversy by posting a sign warning that “screaming children will NOT be tolerated,” many parents have objected to the policy. Do you think restaurants have the right?

Total of 63,952 votes

92.7%
Yes
59,312 votes

5.1%
No
3,277 votes

2.1%
Maybe
1,363 votes

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dailydish/2010/09/yae-or-nay-screaming-children-in-restaurants.html

Yea or nay: Should restaurants ban screaming children?

84.06% --I’m trying to eat in peace. If you can’t control your kids, then the drive-through is for you.

14.01%--C’mon, give the parents a break. They’re doing the best they can.

1.93%--I think disruptive children add to the atmosphere.

Laura's Babies
09-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Lordy, you should have seen the kid at wal mart today, crawling around on the floor blocking people getting by.. he was about 4 to 5 years old, having himself a whopping good time and disrupting EVERYBODY trying to shop! His Grandma (or older mother) was there telling him to stop..over and over and over while he happily ignored her! Once she saw the people who had to stop backed up she grabbed him and told him to get over here, hold on the the buggy and NOT TO MOVE! 2 minutes later he was doing it again while she talked to friends she had ran into and he's crawling on the lower shelves also. I later had to pass back through that way and he and his 3 sisters were running without regard to where they were or what they were doing! They were running all over the place! Mom or grandma was nowhere to be seen..:rolleyes:

Yet, if one had gotten hurt, they would want to sue wal mart!

Medusa
09-12-2010, 06:42 PM
I think crying kids aren't really the issue; it's when parents allow it to continue w/o removing the child so as not to disturb others. If there's a cranky baby, I'd tend to be more lenient. Poor Mom and/or Dad are trying to have a nice meal and baby is cranky. They don't want to leave. I get it. I think we're talking more about the downright brats who are allowed to get mouthy or run wild in stores and restaurants. We've all seen, haven't we? The worst is when you're stuck on a plane w/a bratty kid whose parents think everything s/he does is adorable, such as the two kids who ran up and down the aisle on my son's flight home to L.A. They actually wrote w/magic markers on the walls of the plane and the parents did nothing. Zero. Neither did the flight attendants, probably b/c they'd end up getting sued. I'm still proud of the self control my son had by not tearing into the parents for that one.

sparks19
09-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Oh I'd like to see equal removal across the board. talking loudly on a cell phone and disrupting everyone? get a warning and if you don't pipe down then you should be asked to leave. Have a child running around? one warning... then asked to leave. Causing a scene, an argument etc that is carrying across the restaurant? one warning... and so on

yep adults are more disruptive most of the time and I wish they would ask them to leave too.

BUT that being said... there is NO reason your child should be screaming and carrying on in a restaurant and you don't do anything about it. It's not about "don't want to hear screaming children then don't go out" that's ridiculous. It's not that difficult to teach a child how to behave in public and if they have an off night then there is no reason you can't pack up and take them home. YOU are responsible for your child and their actions. People shouldn't have to leave because you don't do your job as a parent (not YOU as in anyone specific... YOU as in the parents that don't care that their child is disruptive)

Like medusa I think most people wouldn't be upset if it were an infant crying or what have you. I think most people are referring to kids who are old enough to KNOW better. children who run around the restaurant or throw temper tantrums at the table or on the floor just screaming and yelling. nothing annoys me more than parents that deal with this with a soft "OH honey... please get up and sit in your chair. if you don't then Dora will be sad" or some stupid nonsense like that. Tell your child to get up and get in their chair and stay put or take them outside and deal with it or just go home. make the rule and stick to it. they will learn. it's not hard. Everyone else shouldn't have to leave because you won't be a parent.

NOW that being said... if you go to friendlies or chuck e cheese... well then if you don't like screaming kids then yeah you should leave lol. but at a regular restaurant NO it's not up to you to avoid misbehaving kids and parents who don't care.

I don't blame the kids though. it's not their fault. They are just being kids who are allowed to do what they do. they don't have rules or boundaries and they aren't going to learn it on their own. It's the parents fault hands down.

as for if the restaurant should be allowed or not... of COURSE they should be allowed. this is america no? they h ave the right to refuse service. It is their gamble to take on whether they can handle the loss of business or not... but in this case it doesn't seem to be losing them much in the way of business. I would go there... and take my child who knows what will be tolerated when we are at a restaurant

Catlady711
09-13-2010, 12:18 AM
Oh I'd like to see equal removal across the board. talking loudly on a cell phone and disrupting everyone? get a warning and if you don't pipe down then you should be asked to leave. Have a child running around? one warning... then asked to leave. Causing a scene, an argument etc that is carrying across the restaurant? one warning... and so on

yep adults are more disruptive most of the time and I wish they would ask them to leave too.

BUT that being said... there is NO reason your child should be screaming and carrying on in a restaurant and you don't do anything about it. It's not about "don't want to hear screaming children then don't go out" that's ridiculous. It's not that difficult to teach a child how to behave in public and if they have an off night then there is no reason you can't pack up and take them home. YOU are responsible for your child and their actions. People shouldn't have to leave because you don't do your job as a parent (not YOU as in anyone specific... YOU as in the parents that don't care that their child is disruptive)

Like medusa I think most people wouldn't be upset if it were an infant crying or what have you. I think most people are referring to kids who are old enough to KNOW better. children who run around the restaurant or throw temper tantrums at the table or on the floor just screaming and yelling. nothing annoys me more than parents that deal with this with a soft "OH honey... please get up and sit in your chair. if you don't then Dora will be sad" or some stupid nonsense like that. Tell your child to get up and get in their chair and stay put or take them outside and deal with it or just go home. make the rule and stick to it. they will learn. it's not hard. Everyone else shouldn't have to leave because you won't be a parent.

NOW that being said... if you go to friendlies or chuck e cheese... well then if you don't like screaming kids then yeah you should leave lol. but at a regular restaurant NO it's not up to you to avoid misbehaving kids and parents who don't care.

I don't blame the kids though. it's not their fault. They are just being kids who are allowed to do what they do. they don't have rules or boundaries and they aren't going to learn it on their own. It's the parents fault hands down.

as for if the restaurant should be allowed or not... of COURSE they should be allowed. this is america no? they h ave the right to refuse service. It is their gamble to take on whether they can handle the loss of business or not... but in this case it doesn't seem to be losing them much in the way of business. I would go there... and take my child who knows what will be tolerated when we are at a restaurant

Amen!

Sirrahsim
09-13-2010, 12:50 AM

What she said:D:D

cassiesmom
09-13-2010, 01:07 PM
I heard about this on the radio this morning and the DJ said what I was thinking... Some restaurants are just more family-friendly than others. If you're at a place where a steak costs $40 that might not be the most appropriate place for small children. But if everyone is hungry and you want to eat out - some restaurants are totally doable for families with children. If the family needs to eat out in order to all be around the table together, by all means go for it. They also talked about other "adult intrusions" like a conversation at the theater or during a movie, someone talking loudly on a cell phone, that sort of thing.

CatsMeow
09-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Yapping on the cell is bad.

I don't think there should be No kids, because not all kids are like that. But maybe, No kids under 8 years old. Cause most eight year olds don't scream in a restaurant... I hopr.

Catlady711
09-17-2010, 11:06 PM
I don't think there should be No kids, because not all kids are like that. But maybe, No kids under 8 years old. Cause most eight year olds don't scream in a restaurant... I hopr.

The restaurant didn't ban kids, just the screaming kids.

Twisterdog
09-17-2010, 11:31 PM
I would definately eat there! It's about time!

I DESPISE trying to enjoy a meal, with ill-mannered children being loud and obnoxious. ESPECIALLY if it's a nice restaurant. At McDonald's, I expect to hear kids screaming in the Playland.

And, by the way, I have children. And they behaved in public. And if they acted up, I took them OUT of the restaurant for a talking-to!

CatsMeow
09-18-2010, 07:30 AM
The restaurant didn't ban kids, just the screaming kids.

I know that but a few people said they should ban kids.

cassiesmom
09-20-2010, 01:34 PM
I was with my family over the weekend at a restaurant that I wouldn't have identified as a place for families with kids. There was a family there with two little boys, I'm thinking around kindergarten or first grade. The family was celebrating a birthday. These two boys were so good the whole time. They got a little squirrely between the salad and the main course, got up and walked around. They came over to our table and the mom tried to get them away from us, but we told her we didn't mind since we weren't eating yet. They were so cute and good. We just tried to keep them between our table and theirs so their parents could see them, which was really no problem. We had them tell us the colors on their jackets and then they started naming other colors they liked. So cute!

phesina
09-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Oh, that's so sweet!

Nice kids are a joy to have around and be around.