PDA

View Full Version : Do you feed strays?

catmandu
10-25-2002, 09:57 AM
I live in a neighborhood where people have cats but dont really care for them. They show up at the lost cats , cold and hungry and I put out food for them. But the more food that I put out the more that show up , and sometimes they fight over the food. I am afraid that someone will assume that the cats are mine , since I feed them , little charity for cats in this street , and call the SPCA for having cats that roam. The SPCA tells me not to feed them , but I hate to see hungry little faces outside my door. I generally give them scraps , food my cats dont like and samples. I need advice , do I turn a cold shoulder and let them fend for themselves. I now have a father and son black and white tuxedo cat team looking for food , they look like Sylvster and Son . Ideas Please!

Cataholic
10-25-2002, 10:55 AM
Yikes. That could be a dilemna. I say feed them, AND team up with a feral rescue in your neighborhood, and be a part of the trap, spay/nueter, release. I want every cat to have a home. I know that isn't possible. So, I would work on the decrease in the cat population. I do not envy your position, and I know both ways tear at your heart strings. :(

2kitties
10-25-2002, 11:01 AM
That same SPCA that tells you not to feed the kitties should have recommendatiosn for feral groups that can help you. If they don't, the problem is the SPCA's, not yours. Kitties shouldn't have to starve. I'm glad you feed them, but I do think you should try to find an organization that can help you.

jenluckenbach
10-25-2002, 12:45 PM
Yes, Are there any rescue organizations in your area that you can contact, besides the SPCA, that work with ferals? They trap, neuter, find homes for thse that are adoptible and release those that are not. Feeding cats will only bring more cats, and I concider myself lucky that no strays come here because I would not be able to let them starve either. What, besides "don't feed them" DOES the SPCA say???

Logan
10-25-2002, 01:28 PM
Oh yes, the last stray I fed has lived in my house for almost two years now!!! :o Good thing no more have shown up!!!!! :D

zookeeper
10-25-2002, 02:00 PM
We had been feeding a fluffy grey cat for quite a while. We went out and bought a big bag of lower cost cat food, as one of my roommates was orignally feeding it Cam's $80 a bag cat food:eek: We had a couple coming to our house but now they are gone. My fiance had built a little shelter for them out of a box wrapped in plastic with straw and a sweater inside. We will probably fix it up again for this winter, and see who we get.

toughCookie
10-25-2002, 02:00 PM
I would find them if there were ever any around here, but there's not. and I sure could never "not feed them" if I were you... the above advie is very good, I hadn't thought of that. I was going to ask where do you feed them? maybe your backyard and put some blankets out there for them? good luck, please post an update.

Sam's My Baby
10-25-2002, 02:29 PM
I agree with some other posts, try to contact a rescue group. I do feed one stray, but he barley comes anymore, someone else up the street feeds him too. I enjoy seeing him when he comes.:)

Uabassoon
10-25-2002, 03:00 PM
I have a group of strays that I feed. There are 4 that are ALWAYS on my porch. A white male, an orange tabby that my roommate are taking to get fixed soon, a tuxie, and a male maine coon looking cat. There are a few others that show up once in a blue moon, but those 4 are always there.

neko1
10-25-2002, 05:31 PM
I don't have any strays where I live, but I am guilty of feeding my neighbors cat. She comes around every night for her petting and her treat. She's the sweetest thing and if she was a stray I'd probably end up keeping her.