PDA

View Full Version : My baby has mono

Sirrahsim
09-08-2010, 04:40 AM
I didn't know that children could get mono but apparently they can. Austin (3) was spiking high fevers every day for over a week but didn't seem to have anything else wrong with him so they sent us in for blood work and it came back indicating that.
Poor kid is feeling a bit better today but won't get to start preschool until next week instead of today as scheduled.
:( Get-better vibes for Austin and don't-get-sick vibes for Tyler (5) would be greatly appreciated:)

sana
09-08-2010, 05:49 AM
Prayers for all your kids.

Medusa
09-08-2010, 07:39 AM
Oh dear. I had mono when I was 19 and it kicks your hiney. Austin will be ok, though, especially w/PT prayers behind him and so will Tyler. Keep the faythe. :love:

MoonandBean
09-08-2010, 07:56 AM
Mono is a very common viral illness in young children; they usually don't get it as severe as teens or adults. In fact, most people have had mono as a child and that is why they don't get it as a teen or adult (luckily, since it's much worse when you get it older). Almost 100% of adults who are tested for mono immunity will show that they had it in the past, even if they don't ever remember having had it (they had it as a child and it went unnoticed, like a cold). Like any virus, you can only get it once although there is some research that links "chronic fatigue syndrome" to fluctuating levels of active mono virus in someone who had it in the past but that is controversial.

Sirrahsim
09-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Unfortunately Austin is not one of the kids who could pass it off as a cold. He is a very sick little boy :(

MoonandBean
09-08-2010, 08:02 AM
Unfortunately Austin is not one of the kids who could pass it off as a cold. He is a very sick little boy :(

Aww...I'm sorry :( I read that he had high fevers but no other symptoms so I hoped he wasn't real sick. I hope he will get better soon! Pmail me if you have any concerns; I may be able to offer some advice.

Laura's Babies
09-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Poor baby! I didn't know kids could get it either! Sending him good vibes and prayer that he recovers fast.

Karen
09-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Prayers being sent his way!

Freedom
09-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Aww...I'm sorry :( I read that he had high fevers but no other symptoms so I hoped he wasn't real sick. I hope he will get better soon! Pmail me if you have any concerns; I may be able to offer some advice.

Ditto!

Prayers from RI for all of you, cuz as mom you must be worried too!

smokey the elder
09-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Poor little guy. The virus that causes mono is one of the most common infections in humans. Check this out...http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/ebv.htm

They test for EBV when they donate blood; this is one way they found out so many people have had this!

*LabLoverKEB*
09-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Prayers being said for both Tyler and Austin!
Poor kid, I have mono right now, and it totally sucks.:( I hope he gets better soon! Heck I hope I get better soon, too! LOL

lvpets2002
09-08-2010, 04:06 PM
:( Oh mercy I did not know babies could get it that young.. Now I know teenage kids can get it.. Sending Lots Of Prayers From Tx to Germany..

Daisy and Delilah
09-08-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm so sorry, Missy. The poor little fella probably doesn't know what's going on.
Thoughts and prayers going out to all of you. Feel better Austin and please don't get sick, Tyler!!

cassiesmom
09-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Poor baby! I didn't know kids could get it either! Sending him good vibes and prayer that he recovers fast.

Prayers and good wishes from here too for Mom, Austin and Tyler!

Sirrahsim
09-09-2010, 03:12 AM
thank you everyone:) Right now Austin is laying on the floor playing with his monster trucks. :love:
He doesn't have a fever today but is very tired and droopy.

lvpets2002
09-09-2010, 08:57 AM
:) Bless his heart poor wittle one.. Get Well Soon Austin.. Sending more prayers from TX..

thank you everyone:) Right now Austin is laying on the floor playing with his monster trucks. :love:
He doesn't have a fever today but is very tired and droopy.

Daisy and Delilah
09-10-2010, 10:07 AM
More thoughts and prayers going out. :)

Catlady711
09-10-2010, 09:04 PM
oooh Poor kid! Hope he's feeling better very soon.

My mom got Mono once when she was in her 40's. It took them two rounds of lab work to find out what was wrong with her. It kicked her butt and took almost a year to fully feel up to par again even with treatment.

Sirrahsim
09-11-2010, 12:40 AM
He is feeling mostly better. He gets tired really easily and is terribly grouchy all of the time but his fevers are gone, so that is something:D

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-11-2010, 02:46 AM
What is momo exactly? I've never heard of that....

Get well soon Austin :love::love:

Sirrahsim
09-11-2010, 04:23 AM
You might know it as glandular fever? It is basically a viral sickness that makes you feel sick for a couple of weeks and then zaps you of all energy for up to a month or two. It isn't particularly dangerous but there is no treatment other than rest so it isn't fun to have.
I had always heard of it called the "kissing disease" because it is sometimes passed around schools through the exchange of saliva.

cassiesmom
09-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Sirrahsim, how is your son feeling? More prayers and good thoughts!

Kirsten
09-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Poor Austin, but I'm glad to hear he's feeling better! :)

I had mono when I was 18, and never before in my life I felt that ill! Had to stay in bed for four weeks, I was really sick.