PDA

View Full Version : Computer question

pomtzu
09-06-2010, 03:19 PM
This one has me stumped.

When son and family were on vacation back in June, he sent me several emails with picture attachments.

1 pic sent 6/12 @ 5:15 p.m. and delivered to my in box the same day

2 pics sent 6/14 @ 7:24 p.m. and delivered to my in box the same day

1 pic sent 6/14 @ 12:41 p.m. and delivered to my in box on 8/16.
So where the heck was it for over 2 months??:confused:

I've noticed something somewhat strange here too, when posting in a thread. I may post a response to a post, and then go my merry way. However, if I have occasion to go back to this thread, sometimes a post will pop up before the one I posted, and it wasn't there when I did. I know if 2 go thru at the same time that this can happen, but I'm talking at least several minutes difference in the time between the two. It doesn't happen all the time tho. What's up with that? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Karen
09-06-2010, 03:31 PM
It may be a lag time in communication between your computer and the Pet Talk server - data does have to travel over the Internet, and some routes - which we never see - are faster than others.

As for the email, check the actual "sent" timestamp in the "bla bla bla" text - the headers. He may have composed it in June, but forgot to send it until 8/16?

pomtzu
09-06-2010, 03:39 PM
It may be a lag time in communication between your computer and the Pet Talk server - data does have to travel over the Internet, and some routes - which we never see - are faster than others.

As for the email, check the actual "sent" timestamp in the "bla bla bla" text - the headers. He may have composed it in June, but forgot to send it until 8/16?

OK on the first answer. Thanks.

But no on the 2nd one. I was on my computer on 8/16 and he was on his at the same time. I asked him - "did you just send me an email with a vacation pic?" Nope - he hadn't. When I told him the date, he came over and looked at it - guess he thought old Mom was losing it - and said he had definitely sent it on 6/14 - just as the date indicated. He shrugged his shoulders and walked away - he couldn't figure it either.

Freedom
09-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Ellie, didn't anyone ever tell you --

There are GREMLINS IN CYBERSPACE!!

pomtzu
09-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Ellie, didn't anyone ever tell you --

There are GREMLINS IN CYBERSPACE!!

LOL - I believe you're right. Maybe they had to pass the pic around for all to see before they let it get to me. It was a great pic of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and they were there that day. Being the lighthouse nut that I am, he just had to rub it in that they were there "in the flesh", and I wasn't. Brat!!!

Asiel
09-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Heck no...I think it's little Freddy hanging on to the pictures .

Odd that you should mention this. Our son was in Cuba on holidays and would send pictures and the same thing happened to a few that he sent. They were home two days when the last pictures they had sent before leaving got to my computer. Wonder if it has anything to do with power outages somewhere along the way?

Catlady711
09-06-2010, 09:26 PM
I've had the same thing happen with emails. Most of the time my ISP has said they had server problems at the time and I finally get it when they get all the backlogged mess sorted out.

Medusa
09-06-2010, 10:30 PM
That's happened to me several times. I've also had people say that they never received an email from me and yet I would still have it in my sent folder. I once received an email from a friend that she sent a year earlier!

kokopup
09-07-2010, 12:08 AM
Blame it on Al Gore since he invented the internet.;):D

Hellow
09-07-2010, 12:45 AM
The likelihood of an email actually being in limbo for two months is low, but if it did happen, then it's more than likely been in a huge queue somewhere.