PDA

View Full Version : Book loving Pet Talkers info

AmberLee
10-25-2002, 01:22 AM
I recently read a newspaper column about a group that believes in 'liberating' books, i.e. donating books that they love or would prefer not to have on their bookshelves any longer (or both) by sticking a note on it that it's "free to a good home" or something similar and then leaving it in a public location to be found by someone interested. Some people really get into the leaving of books, some specialize in finding them, and some prefer to arrange private trades online.

Something about this concept tickles me greatly and I've recently joined them. (I'm AmberLee17 there.) I like seeing where people post that they've left books and/or found them -- many of the locations locally I know of. Most of the activity is here in the states and Canada but there is activity in locations all around the world -- many of the locations listed are also Pet Talker home locations. If you'd like to see if a book has been 'released' near you, you can access the search function via this link, if you'd like: BookCrossing (http://bookcrossing.com/friend/AmberLee17 )

Some of the books released are ones I'd love and some I just wonder about. You'd probably feel the same. At any rate, if you are curious, feel free to explore the website or to ask me questions or find out if there is a member in your home community that you can PM there. Enjoy!

AmberLee
10-25-2002, 01:31 AM
Duh! I'm getting very forgetful. Sorry...

1) If you are already a BookCrosser, I'd love to know your screen name there. If you don't want to post it here, would you PM me here or there?

2) There are an assortment of theme books there that have been liberated and/or are available for trade. Go to Books;select browse books --> "Pets & Animals" (just double-checked: this is the path) or "Cookbooks" or "Mysteries & Thrillers" for three areas that we have had threads on here in the past and/or currently.

Thanks!

anna_66
10-25-2002, 08:22 AM
Well this sounds pretty neat. I'm going to check it out. Thanks!

AmberLee
10-25-2002, 05:43 PM
Released my first book 'into the wild' today. I'm enjoying this so much. Hee, hee, hee.

Weird how resistant I am to throwing a book away and yet releasing them feels so liberating... ;) :eek:

zippy-kat
10-25-2002, 09:50 PM
LOVE it!

shais_mom
10-26-2002, 12:37 AM
will check it out
do they accept hardbacks too?

AmberLee
10-26-2002, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by shais_mom
...do they accept hardbacks too?

Yes, so far I know they'll accept paperbacks, hardbacks, electronic books, and audiobooks. I think there are other acceptible medium but haven't looked into all the details.

My shelves are still bulging, but they're no longer threatening avalanches when the cats whisk by. Progress!! ;) :D

NoahsMommy
10-28-2002, 04:40 PM
How neat! I'm going to check this out!!!

wolflady
10-28-2002, 05:48 PM
I went ahead and registered, just in case anyone wanted to look me up. I'm (surprise surprise!!) wolflady there, so feel free to add me to your buddys list! :D

If I release a book into the wild, will someone pick it up? Or will it be pitched?? Just curious?? LOL :D I wonder how long a book actually stays at its release location!! :ee: What a neat idea! :D

I have so many books, I'm sure I could part with a few that I haven't read in year and years...LOL :D

Miss Meow
10-28-2002, 06:10 PM
Hey Wolflady, we must've been registering at exactly the same time!

I am MissMeow (no spaces). Check out my avatar, I found a nice pic of Jasmine, he he he :)

AmberLee, thank you so much for alerting me to this site. If you could see how many zillion books I cart from house to house because I'm too scared to let them go. Now I have a reason to!

So if I have some books to liberate, what do I do first? Do we register the book, then release it?

AmberLee
10-28-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
... So if I have some books to liberate, what do I do first? Do we register the book, then release it?

Yes, register first, then release. My first one I did them both together, but now I register in advance and then release after I've let the book go so I can be more specific where I've left it (in the hopes that someone will go looking for it...)

{{{welcome, fellow BXers!}}} :D :cool: :D

wolflady
10-28-2002, 06:55 PM
LOL LOL That's great! :) I added you to my buddy list and AmberLee too. :D This should be fun and interesting! Loved the pic of Jasmine! I put Marius in my photo! ;)

Hey Wolflady, we must've been registering at exactly the same time!

I am MissMeow (no spaces). Check out my avatar, I found a nice pic of Jasmine, he he he :)

shais_mom
10-28-2002, 09:48 PM
I joined too and released my first book!
My name is StaciM

Miss Meow
10-29-2002, 05:41 AM
Great! I am printing some labels and I am going to set a few books free tomorrow :)

NoahsMommy
10-29-2002, 10:38 AM
OK, you've all convinced me...I'm going to register today! Yay!! :)

AmberLee
10-29-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
...I'm going to register today! Yay!! :)

Yippee!! Let us know what name you register under: we'll put you on our 'friends' list, okay?
:D :cool: :D

NoahsMommy
10-29-2002, 02:12 PM
I joined! (As NoahsMommy) And I've added you four to my "friends list". This is really neat!

wolflady
10-29-2002, 02:23 PM
Cool!! I'm excited about going hunting and releasing some of my own. :D

Miss Meow
10-30-2002, 05:08 AM
It's 10pm here so I snuck around the neighbourhood and released eight books. I never thought it would be so much fun. I'll retrace my steps tomorrow and see if they've been picked up!

My friend Julianne found a book in her building so she has registered. She is Realtime88.

Some dude in Italy just sent me a PM via there asking if he could send me a book from Italy. Hmmm, either very friendly or very dodgy!

AmberLee
10-30-2002, 10:07 AM
... andreleased eight books. ...

Wow, sound's like you are having fun with this, too. I'm so excited for you.

Some of the people there have an informal contest to release a book to each of the fifty states, or a set number of counties... maybe that's why the guy from Italy is interested? Good luck and keep us posted. {{{hugs}}}

wolflady
10-30-2002, 11:46 AM
Yes, do keep us posted! Wow! :eek: Eight books all in one night! Too bad I don't live closer! HA!

I may just have to bring some back to Indiana with me when I go home for the Christmas holidays and release a few at some of my old haunts back there. :D That would be fun!

NoahsMommy
10-30-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
Yes, do keep us posted! Wow! :eek: Eight books all in one night! Too bad I don't live closer! HA!

I may just have to bring some back to Indiana with me when I go home for the Christmas holidays and release a few at some of my old haunts back there. :D That would be fun!
What a great idea!! I think I'll do that when we go down to San Diego for Thanksgiving!

Miss Meow
10-30-2002, 02:22 PM
I think I'll be hanging around Indiana to see what I can find! I've got a few plane trips coming up so I'll take a few to the airport each time and see if they can get some frequent flyer points :)

wolflady
10-30-2002, 02:33 PM
That would be great! I'll be in Indiana from Dec. 18-Jan 1st! Do let me know if you'll be in the area at that time. :D

Miss Meow
10-30-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
That would be great! I'll be in Indiana from Dec. 18-Jan 1st! Do let me know if you'll be in the area at that time. :D

Oh yeah, and while I'm dreaming I'll be at the PetTalk meeting too! :D

Oh if it wasn't for the 14 hour flight ...

wolflady
10-30-2002, 02:56 PM
LOL LOL :D

shais_mom
10-30-2002, 11:24 PM
Karen where are you going to be in IN?? Only live about 2 hours from IN/Fort Wayne.

wolflady
10-31-2002, 12:49 PM
:)
I'm originally from Columbus, Indiana (about 1 hour south of Indy)and my parents still have a house there, so we go back every Christmas! We also have some friends of in Ft. Fun (Wayne) that we try to visit while we're home! It would be excellent to meet up with you while I'm in town!:D
**hugs**