PDA

View Full Version : ~all attention.. New bunny in our yard!~

CatsMeow
09-04-2010, 05:50 PM
We found a young wild "wabbit baby" in our yard yesterday morning. . It's not brown- it's more like tan. We named her Flower. because we found her in the flowers. Let's hope the neighbor's nasty dogs don't get her! We have fed her some, and she is hopping around in our yard like Carrot did. She is letting us hold her,i'm guessing she was one of Carrot's children... ( carrot was a girl, flower is another girl) Let's pray that she stays around awhile... and those nasty dogs stay AWAY from the RABBIT.

Karen
09-04-2010, 06:00 PM
As she's a wild rabbit, you cannot let yourself get too attached to her unless you bring her inside. Wild rabbits are, simply put, prey species. It's not just the neighbor dogs, cats, and even wild birds like owls or hawks will kill and eat a rabbit, particularly a young one. Even if you build her a hutch, a rabbit can be literally frightened to death even if the predator cannot get to them, so don;t get your hopes up, okay?

We have a wild rabbit who hops through our yard from time to time, we have never tried to tame it or name it, we just keep cats out of the yard.

CatsMeow
09-04-2010, 06:03 PM
i know. we had the wild rabbit in our yard for a year, then the neighbors moved in.... bad luck for bunny.

I will not bring her indoors, but I MIGHT put a hutch out there, or i might build a fence area. ( in my backyard, I might get a small dog pen with a roof and put her in there) So at least she has a little room to hop. Max won't bother anything; he is too laid back. Playful but laid back. :D

Karen
09-04-2010, 06:14 PM
i know. we had the wild rabbit in our yard for a year, then the neighbors moved in.... bad luck for bunny.

I will not bring her indoors, but I MIGHT put a hutch out there, or i might build a fence area. ( in my backyard, I might get a small dog pen with a roof and put her in there) So at least she has a little room to hop. Max won't bother anything; he is too laid back. Playful but laid back. :D

Okay, but keep in mind what I said earlier -- a rabbit can be frightened to death if they are in an outside enclosure and a predator is trying to get them. So she's still be at risk.

CatsMeow
09-05-2010, 12:01 PM
We got the dog pen up last night- then we chased her down, and placed her in, tempting her with food. She seems happy, and Max will just go and sniff, look at her, and go run around doing his own thing. She does not mind. Which is good. However, The pitbulls and our fence... well ONE part of our fence seperates our yard, A piece of fence goes from our creek to the front of our houses, And the dogs of our neighbors climb the fence... and they have been barking at the bunny.. I put our old tiny dog house in the pen so when they barked ,she hopped in there and ate some carrot. So she's doing great so far.

Karen
09-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Glad she has a hiding place, that should help! Miss Hoppy would recommend offering her some flat parsley - yummy and good for her!

CatsMeow
09-05-2010, 12:19 PM
I will think about that! I took some pictures of her... brought max in and let her loose in the yard. She was calm and stuff, nibbled on some grass, cooperated long enough for me to get some pics. Here they are:

More pics on next post!

CatsMeow
09-05-2010, 12:21 PM
:):)

Karen
09-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Aww, Hi there, Flower! Stay safe, pretty girl!

CatsMeow
09-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Aww, Hi there, Flower! Stay safe, pretty girl!

I know. She makes me happy when I see her. She's such a pretty wittle wabbit! Yes she is!! :D I'm going to go check on her.

CatsMeow
09-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Okay i am back. I fed her some lettuce and carrots... and also have a another image to upload. :

CatsMeow
09-05-2010, 02:50 PM
:DUpdate on Flower: Flower is eating some grass, doing great. She even comes to her name! Weird little creature.

Karen
09-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Don't feed her too much lettuce, it isn't very nutritious. Dark greens like Romaine, dandelion greens, chicory or parsley are better for her, okay? And if you have a chance get her some hay - alfalfa if she is still a baby, but Timothy hay if she's full grown - it's hard to tell from the pictures.

pomtzu
09-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Here in DE, it is illegal to keep wild bunnies as pets, or to in any way restrain them in a hutch, pen, or enclosure - as it should be. They are meant to run wild and free, and I'm sure they are actually much safer and happier that way. It's even illegal to attempt to raise a wild orphaned bunny, and you are supposed to call the state wildlife office and have them picked up for the experts to raise. However, I have raised a few on a couple of separate occasions, and then set them free when they were old enough to fend for themselves. It's not easy - sometimes you succeed, and sometimes you don't.

There's a BIG difference between wild and domesticated rabbits. You should let this little one go on it's way at will, and definitely don't keep it restrained in any way.

Here's a few of pics of my last babies from a few years ago.

CatsMeow
09-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Here in DE, it is illegal to keep wild bunnies as pets, or to in any way restrain them in a hutch, pen, or enclosure - as it should be. They are meant to run wild and free, and I'm sure they are actually much safer and happier that way. It's even illegal to attempt to raise a wild orphaned bunny, and you are supposed to call the state wildlife office and have them picked up for the experts to raise. However, I have raised a few on a couple of separate occasions, and then set them free when they were old enough to fend for themselves. It's not easy - sometimes you succeed, and sometimes you don't.

There's a BIG difference between wild and domesticated rabbits. You should let this little one go on it's way at will, and definitely don't keep it restrained in any way.

Here's a few of pics of my last babies from a few years ago.

She is very happy where she is, Pomtzu. The pen isn't tiny at all. It's eight foot long, ten foot wide, complete with shelter, food, and water (in case she is to get thirsty, I dug a small hole and filled it up with water... like a pond!) And thanks for caring about Flower but really she is fine.

And okay, Karen, as soon as I found Carrot I stocked up on all that good stuff- I'm sure I have some left. I'll check tomorrow, next time I feed her. :D

pomtzu
09-05-2010, 05:05 PM
The size of the enclosure wasn't a concern - just the fact that she is confined at all was what I was referring to.
But - good luck with her.

CatsMeow
09-05-2010, 05:15 PM
The size of the enclosure wasn't a concern - just the fact that she is confined at all was what I was referring to.
But - good luck with her.

I know but still, she needs ME.... I can feel it. Oh gosh those pitbulls are barking again. What is it this time.... please stand by...

OH MY GOSH! The dogs climbed the fence and are trying to tear the pen open! Poor flower is hiding in her house. ..... What should I do!? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Karen
09-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Go out there and throw water on the dogs, scare them off, call their owners and demand they keep them better contained!

CatsMeow
09-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Go out there and throw water on the dogs, scare them off, call their owners and demand they keep them better contained!

I'm running outside with a bucket of water RIGHT NOW!!! :eek::eek::eek: I'm calling AC, phone in hand, and am jumping out my WINDOW!!! It's open!

CatsMeow
09-05-2010, 05:24 PM
I forgot the pin is it the front of my fence and her pin is directly in front of my window- I threw it out the window, and they tried to run at me... I slammed my window shut and they are attacking my window....... Now they are giving up and climbing back up the fence.

CatsMeow
09-05-2010, 05:28 PM
I called their owners, lecturing them. This is the quote:

"Shut up! our dogs didn't do that! If you call me one more time about this, and or the AC come or the police come, you might as well consider your cat dog and rabbit D.E.A.D.

Karen
09-05-2010, 06:00 PM
I'd get the police and animal control involved tomorrow, ask what you can do, as the dogs have repeatedly been in your yard, tried to attack you, and you are concerned for the life of your child and yourself, as well as your pets. Don't mention the rabbit but tell them you are afraid for your own safety on your own property, and ask what can be done. Mention the threat they just made as well.

pomtzu
09-05-2010, 06:31 PM
And get rid of that rabbit! I'm sure she'll be much better off elsewhere, and a lot safer too. She DOES NOT need you - she needs to be free - she's a WILD ANIMAL and not in need of human intervention! Enough drama already!!! :rolleyes::mad:

CatsMeow
09-06-2010, 07:29 AM
I'd get the police and animal control involved tomorrow, ask what you can do, as the dogs have repeatedly been in your yard, tried to attack you, and you are concerned for the life of your child and yourself, as well as your pets. Don't mention the rabbit but tell them you are afraid for your own safety on your own property, and ask what can be done. Mention the threat they just made as well.

I did last night- they said they would be here 8:00 in the morning. They didn't come! :mad:

Pembroke_Corgi
09-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Why are all the pictures you posted of different bunnies? If you really do have a bunny in your yard I wouldn't keep it in a cage. For one thing, it's a wild creature and needs its freedom. Also, wild animals can carry diseases that could potentially make your pets sick. As an example, we have lots of prairie dogs where I live, some of which carry the plague. Animals that eat an infected prairie dog also contract the plague.

snakemama
09-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Why are all the pictures you posted of different bunnies?

They are all different rabbits, how interesting. I wonder if these "pit bulls" are made up too, just to try to spread breed prejudice.

dab_20
09-06-2010, 06:17 PM
They are all different rabbits, how interesting. I wonder if these "pit bulls" are made up too, just to try to spread breed prejudice.

:rolleyes:

Asiel
09-06-2010, 07:55 PM
It's against the law over here also to keep any wild animal. We have a sanctuary for wild hurt or found creatures. The sanctuary has a vet and many volunteers to help and when the animlas are taken there they are looked after until ready to be released back to the wild.
It's cruel to keep a wild thing caged and most of the time they end up sick and dying.

luvofallhorses
09-06-2010, 09:20 PM
I would call a wildlife rescue who has experience. You should never keep a wild animal honestly if you don't have experience. :) If you want a bunny go adopt one! PLUS a lot of dogs will kill a wild rabbit regardless of breed. Doesn't make them bad. I know mine would. It's called instinct.

pomtzu
09-07-2010, 07:15 AM
I see I'm not the only one afterall, that is skeptical of all these dubious claims.

Whisk_Luva
09-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Why are all the pictures you posted of different bunnies?

My thoughts exactly.

And why is at least one of the photos you 'took' on google images?

Link to prove:
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.junglewalk.com/animal-pictures/630/T/Whitetail-Jackrabbit-5096.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.junglewalk.com/photos/rabbit-pictures.htm&usg=__m9JUc64YcmKg1GpaR1xt4s-owiw=&h=60&w=89&sz=7&hl=en&start=0&zoom=0&tbnid=z0E-kHsGYdvqDM:&tbnh=53&tbnw=78&prev=/images%3Fq%3DWhitetail-Jackrabbit-5096%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D826%2 6tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=206&vpy=171&dur=91&hovh=53&hovw=78&tx=77&ty=31&ei=5pCGTIOtKcuBOKHX0akE&oei=5pCGTIOtKcuBOKHX0akE&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=1&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

Kalei
09-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Wow, she is a pretty rabbit :) Glad you have her in such a great cage, it is very big, I bet she loves it, and she is safe and fed...most animals love all this haha

Hope to see pics of her in the future :)

pomtzu
09-07-2010, 06:58 PM
My thoughts exactly.

And why is at least one of the photos you 'took' on google images?

Link to prove:
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.junglewalk.com/animal-pictures/630/T/Whitetail-Jackrabbit-5096.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.junglewalk.com/photos/rabbit-pictures.htm&usg=__m9JUc64YcmKg1GpaR1xt4s-owiw=&h=60&w=89&sz=7&hl=en&start=0&zoom=0&tbnid=z0E-kHsGYdvqDM:&tbnh=53&tbnw=78&prev=/images%3Fq%3DWhitetail-Jackrabbit-5096%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D826%2 6tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=206&vpy=171&dur=91&hovh=53&hovw=78&tx=77&ty=31&ei=5pCGTIOtKcuBOKHX0akE&oei=5pCGTIOtKcuBOKHX0akE&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=1&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

She must have thought no one would notice! :p

Of course, I never heard of being able to just pick up and hold a wild one either, like was stated. Even those tiny babies I raised would try to get away, and I had many a bitten finger at feeding time. If that's the case and it would let her pick it up, I wonder why they had to run it down to get it in that big pen that got built with lightening speed. Seems it would have been easier just to pick it up! :rolleyes:

Alysser
09-07-2010, 09:37 PM
I honestly don't get why people feel the need to post false stories. It doesn't do anything but make you look like an idiot. Especially typing things like "I'm jumping out the window with a bucket of water and they are attacking the window". Like come on, if you're gonna lie, try to be a little better than that.

luckies4me
09-08-2010, 12:48 AM
Who'd have thought trolls still existed! :p While I was looking at the photos I was wondering if anyone else had noticed that they all looked like different rabbits.

How old is this person anyway? She sounds very young. Or well, very bored for that matter. Or perhaps a combination of the two.;)

snakemama
09-08-2010, 12:51 AM
Who'd have thought trolls still existed! :p While I was looking at the photos I was wondering if anyone else had noticed that they all looked like different rabbits.

How old is this person anyway? She sounds very young. Or well, very bored for that matter. Or perhaps a combination of the two.;)

I've been wondering the same thing about the OPs age. Her profile says 44 but I don't believe it.

At any rate, it doesn't look like they're going to come back to this thread now that they've been caught in a big fat lie.

luckies4me
09-08-2010, 12:56 AM
Pretty sure "Smarties" and this poster are one and the same...

Here's her intro thread. I smell something fishy.
http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=163110

Karen
09-08-2010, 02:04 AM
Folks, don't call people trolls, or liars. I'll sort things out with her as best I can. And no, she and her daughter are not the same person. More has gone on behind the scenes than all of you know.

Lying and calling someone a troll really isn't in the spirit of Pet Talk, let me deal with her.

luckies4me
09-08-2010, 07:26 PM
I understand your concern Karen, and I'm sorry, but things are just not adding up. The photos she posted were stolen from the internet, not photos she took, as proven by googling "rabbit". It's not very nice to come here with a false story and make animal lovers like us alarmed and afraid for this rabbit's safety if it doesn't even exist. Perhaps her daughter logged into her account. I know I did silly silly things as a youngster, and I'll be the first to admit I've lied plenty of times when I was younger, (Even told my step dad I owned a kangaroo and would take him to school with me...funny he believed it!) however, it doesn't make what was done right. Hopefully you can talk some sense in to whoever it is that is posting. I'm sure you'll do just that.

She got some of the photos from this site.
http://www.junglewalk.com/photos/rabbit-pictures.htm

So please let her know that this is illegal. If the owners of the site find out she is using their photos without their permission she can get into some serious trouble.

snakemama
09-08-2010, 08:16 PM
The owners of most of the pictures have been notified and sent a link to this thread.

Karen
09-08-2010, 09:01 PM
She got some of the photos from this site.
http://www.junglewalk.com/photos/rabbit-pictures.htm

So please let her know that this is illegal. If the owners of the site find out she is using their photos without their permission she can get into some serious trouble.

I already let her know this. She has not yet responded.

luckies4me
09-08-2010, 09:02 PM
In all honesty I don't think you'll be getting a response Karen. How unfortunate. :(

pomtzu
09-09-2010, 07:24 AM
It's a shame that it took so long for people to see what I saw from the very beginning in this woman.

I also feel rather hurt, that people that accused me of being hateful (and worse) to this woman, and publicly slammed me in the tread that CatsMeow started to try to publicly humiliate me (now deleted) by quoting PM's that transpired between the two of us, don't have the intestinal fortitude to step up and admit they were wrong. There were things said about me (and another innocent PT by-stander who doesn't even know she was dragged in), that were totally unfounded, untrue, uncalled for, and just plain mean and hateful.

Hopefully, CatsMeow will not be back, now that she has been exposed.