PDA

View Full Version : 6 outrageously overpriced products

Catty1
09-03-2010, 05:46 PM
http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/personal-finance/article/yfinance/1807/6-outrageously-overpriced-products

6 outrageously overpriced products
by Amy Bell, Investopedia
Thursday, September 2, 2010

Unless you're filthy rich, you've probably noticed that movie theatre popcorn costs an arm and a leg. Still, for some unknown reason, countless consumers shell out the big bucks for this greasy flick-food.

Of course, movie theater snacks aren't the only budget busters. Just think about the exorbitant cost of greeting cards, printer ink and bottled water. The sky-high price tags on those products are enough to send today's cash-strapped consumers spiraling into debt. Yet, we continue to cough up the cash for these absurdly expensive items.

Here are six outrageously overpriced products that consumers can't seem to live without.

Movie theatre popcorn

At the grocery store, microwave popcorn runs about $3 per box, and each box includes three 3.5 ounce bags. So why on earth would consumers even consider paying a whopping $6 for a single medium-sized bag of popcorn in the movie theatre? No one knows exactly why - but for some bizarre reason, movie-goers continue to drain their wallets to crunch on a bag full of those greasy little nuggets during their favorite film.
After considering that movie theatres purchase popcorn in bulk, the average markup of movie theater popcorn is a whopping 1,275 per cent! At that steep price, you'd think those buttery bags were laced with gold.

Greeting cards

Since when does a folded up piece of paper cost $2.99? Since someone slaps a precious kitty picture and a cleverly written message on it and then stamps the back of it with a well-known logo. That's right - we're talking about those pricey greeting cards. Many consumers spend hours poring over the neatly arranged stacks in the greeting card aisle, searching for the perfect message for their sister's birthday, their parent's anniversary or "Just Because."
The average greeting card costs between $2 and $4, and we consumers don't seem to think twice about paying that precipitous price. The markup is between 100 and 200 per cent - which is not quite as shocking as movie theatre popcorn, but it adds up quickly. When you consider how many of those paper jewels you buy each year, it's enough to send you running for the construction paper and markers. After all, it only costs a few cents to create a home-made card.

College textbooks

As if college kids (and their parents) aren't financially drained enough, there's yet another inflated price they face: college textbooks. College students pay an average of $900 a year on textbooks and other supplies.
College textbook prices have skyrocketed by 186 per cent since 1986, and these expensive volumes of knowledge now account for 26 per cent of the overall cost of college. Unfortunately, broke college students are required to purchase these costly books for their classes. At least they can try to sell their books back to local book store at the end of the semester - for a few measly bucks.

Bottled water

You've probably heard that "Evian" is simply "naive" spelled backwards. OK, so the well-known company probably did not choose their name for that reason - but many people believe that consumers who buy bottled water are certainly naive. After all, water is one of the most abundant resources in the world and is available for free from countless water fountains and sinks across the nation. Yet, many consumers are still willing to pay $3 a bottle for it.
In 2009, the U.S. Congress revealed that about 45 per cent of bottled water comes from municipal taps - and then the bottled water company may or may not do some additional filtering before pouring it in their logo-stamped bottles. Still, Americans continue to buy more than 500 million bottles every week, making it the second most popular purchased drink.

Printer ink

You may be able to buy a surprisingly affordable printer at your local office supply store, but don't start celebrating just yet. The printer companies make their biggest bucks on ink.
Over the life of your printer, you'll probably pay more than 500 per cent of the total price of the printer itself on ink refill cartridges. At $30, a 42ml cartridge of black printer ink comes out to 71 cents per ml. On the other hand, the Red Cross charges $200 for 500 ml of blood, which comes out to about 40 cents per ml.

Brand-name fashions

How much did you pay for those True Religion jeans, that Burberry scarf and those towering Louboutin stilettos? Probably a small fortune. But it was worth every penny, right? Not so much. When it comes to designer clothes, it's pretty obvious that you are paying for the label.
As a matter of fact, brand-name clothes are often marked up by 500 to 1,000 per cent. Yet, fashion-conscious consumers continue to drain their bank accounts and pile up massive amounts of debt to stay on the cutting edge of couture.

Broke consumers are saying no

The recession has hit many households hard, and thousands of broke consumers are passing on these and other overpriced products. So, does that mean the inflated prices of these items will eventually fall? Only time will tell. In the meantime, you may want to check your bank account before you hit the movie theatre snack bar.

kitten645
09-03-2010, 08:31 PM
I must disagree with greeting cards. I know first hand the high cost involved. The high cost of paper, of ink, of printing, of distribution. There are also high damages and mark outs involved. Consider the millions of seasonal cards that AREN'T purchased. Where do you think that money goes?
There's a reason there are only a handful of greeting card companies left: American & Hallmark are about it. You have to make alot of cards to make it worthwhile financially. You also need a vast network to get those cards out to the public.
Bet if you asked the hundreds of "crafters" and photogs out there that try to pedal their cards, you'd see the bottom line is pretty darn lean.

wombat2u2004
09-04-2010, 12:18 AM
I must disagree with greeting cards. I know first hand the high cost involved. The high cost of paper, of ink, of printing, of distribution. There are also high damages and mark outs involved. Consider the millions of seasonal cards that AREN'T purchased. Where do you think that money goes?
There's a reason there are only a handful of greeting card companies left: American & Hallmark are about it. You have to make alot of cards to make it worthwhile financially. You also need a vast network to get those cards out to the public.
Bet if you asked the hundreds of "crafters" and photogs out there that try to pedal their cards, you'd see the bottom line is pretty darn lean.

Yeah, gotta agree with that one.
My nephew worked in a printing place that is a famous Aussie brand for cards, he said to me once that there is little profit in cards, but more in the other stuff they did there, such as games printing (monopoly, uno etc etc)

Karen
09-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Bottled water is not always a luxury, and not always overpriced. We live in an old city on an old street in an old house - what does that mean? There are lead or lead-lined pipes involved in our water supply, and as we do like functional brains, we use bottled water for drinking and cooking. And no, we never pay $3 a bottle. The bottle I have beside me right now cost me about 14 cents, and I will recycle the bottle itself when I am done with it.

Catty1
09-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Karen, do you have one of those big water dispensers where the huge bottle goes upside down on top of it?

Lead pipes - yikes, I shudder!:eek:

A gal I worked with some years ago had her blood tested for heavy metals, and went through chelation every two weeks to get them out of her body. Sounds weird - but I wonder if that might help with your allergies? You might not have much more of the stuff in your system than anyone else, but maybe even that amount has whacked out your system. Just a thought.

Info here if you want to look:
http://www.careurheart.com/heart-care-articles/edta-chelation-therapy.htm

Many people don't recycle or return their individual water bottles. Heck, up here they are refundable and a great item to have for bottle drives! :)

PS Greeting cards - I did a small line of them myself many years ago...and I know about the bending and all. Still, some cards I like are over $6. But a really nice one can take the place of an unnecessary gift. ;)

Karen
09-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Karen, do you have one of those big water dispensers where the huge bottle goes upside down on top of it?

Lead pipes - yikes, I shudder!:eek:

A gal I worked with some years ago had her blood tested for heavy metals, and went through chelation every two weeks to get them out of her body. Sounds weird - but I wonder if that might help with your allergies? You might not have much more of the stuff in your system than anyone else, but maybe even that amount has whacked out your system. Just a thought.

No lead in my body any more than the normal amount, I have never drunk the water here, no need for chelation. I get annual check-ups, and they take blood to test for various ... my allergies are just that, my body reacting in appropriately defensively.

No, I don't bother leasing on of those dispensers, and all the bother and expense of delivery trucks, etc. I just pay attention to prices and sales and shop appropriately.

wombat2u2004
09-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Bottled water is not always a luxury, and not always overpriced. We live in an old city on an old street in an old house - what does that mean? There are lead or lead-lined pipes involved in our water supply, and as we do like functional brains, we use bottled water for drinking and cooking. And no, we never pay $3 a bottle. The bottle I have beside me right now cost me about 14 cents, and I will recycle the bottle itself when I am done with it.

All of the water mains pipes in the Blue Mountains where I used to live are made of asbestos piping.
Everytime there is a bust, the local govt repair guys go to great lengths to conceal that fact from the locals.
There are very heavy fines if one ever re-uses asbestos products or fails to dispose of it correctly.
So it was bottled water for us.

Marigold2
09-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Starbucks coffee which is OH SO GOOD but very over priced.
Baseball tickets.
Actually any event tickets be it sport, theme park etc.
Any food at sports or theme park events.

Twisterdog
09-06-2010, 10:39 PM
I always buy popcorn at the theater. Yes, it's expensive ... but so is going to the theater, period. It's part of the whole experience. If you're going to blow $25 to see a movie, might as well blow another $15 on popcorn and a soda. But, we do it like once a year.

I will sometimes buy bottled water, if I'm in town and really thirsty. But at home, the tap is fine for me. Hasn't killed us yet.

College textbooks ... true. But again, you're paying tens of thousands of dollars for that education, what's a few hundred more for books? And a college education more than pays for itself.

Printer ink ... I buy the refill kits. Cheap, but messy.

Designer clothes - never. Unless I find them at a thrift store or yard sale. Silly.

Roxyluvsme13
09-06-2010, 10:55 PM
I have to say I 150% agree on college textbooks. Mine were just a little over $700 this semester, however, I was lucky and my financial aid covered it all.

I agree greeting cards are expensive, BUT there's always dollar tree or the dollar store (at least here) where you can find them a lot cheaper and still get some pretty awesome/cute ones.

I only buy bottled water because there's a definite taste difference to me. The tap water in my hometown tastes really weird and off, as well as here at the university. Maybe it's just me, but the taste differences bother me :/.

Popcorn, also 150% agreed, but it's GOOOOD.

And brand name fashions, well, I used to be a 100% designer label girl, but if the clothing fits, looks cute, and is from Wal-Mart, who really gives a flip? Clothes are clothes. You probably have the same denim in a pair of Wal-Mart jeans as you do in a $600 pair of jeans, so really, the overpricing is stupid.

moosmom
09-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Since I only go to the movies maybe once a year, I indulge myself in the saltiest, butteriest popcorn on the planet. Yes, I'm sure my arteries harden everytime. But I'll have a smile on my face.

Oh, and if some of you didn't know, in Michigan, they allow you to put your own butter on it AND give you refills of both popcorn and soda.

That is the ONLY thing I miss about Michigan (and my friends of course)

Asiel
09-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Have to agree about the greeting cards. If I care enough about someone to send a card I want a really nice one that will convey my feelings so I don't mind paying for that. I agree they aren't that expensive when you look at everything involved in making the cards.

I don't eat popcorn so that doesn't cost me.

We have well water and get it tested every year. We were told it was so pure we should bottle it and sell it. It's always ice cold and tastes great. I can't stand drinking city water, so full of chemicals, We have friends who drive out and bring their water jugs to refill them over here rather than buy it at the store, that saves them quite a bit and they love the taste.

Asbestos in pipes...that is almost unbelievable. Asbestos has been banned here for over thirty years now. Anyone who has ever worked with asbestos gets tested every year for lung cancer or other lung damage. The heath care sends mobile units to every city and town and people get a letter telling them of the date they should show up.

wombat2u2004
09-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Asbestos in pipes...that is almost unbelievable. Asbestos has been banned here for over thirty years now. Anyone who has ever worked with asbestos gets tested every year for lung cancer or other lung damage. The heath care sends mobile units to every city and town and people get a letter telling them of the date they should show up.

Same here. But the local govt says the pipes are finished internally in such a manner that the water that comes from those pipes won't harm anyone.
At the same time the local govt issue out stiff penalties to people who remove roofing made of exactly the same material.......go figure.

Lady's Human
09-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Same here. But the local govt says the pipes are finished internally in such a manner that the water that comes from those pipes won't harm anyone.
At the same time the local govt issue out stiff penalties to people who remove roofing made of exactly the same material.......go figure.

Asbestos in situ isn't going to harm anyone. It's inert.

Where asbestos becomes a problem is that the fibers, when broken, are like microscopic needles. When they get airborne, they are so fine that most filtering face pieces won't contain them. When they get into the lining of your lungs, your body cannot dislodge them. It's there they cause problems.

The pipes are not an issue, as I don't think anyone's going to be shredding the pipes anytime soon.

Airborne asbestos=bad. Asbestos undisturbed in a building? Not a problem.

Asiel
09-08-2010, 08:21 PM

Not too hard to figure that one out...key word being the "government". They make rules to suit themselves, not our health and safety for sure.

wombat2u2004
09-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Asbestos in situ isn't going to harm anyone. It's inert.
Airborne asbestos=bad. Asbestos undisturbed in a building? Not a problem.

Not true. Asbestos cement breaks down over a period of time, and flakes away.
We all know that sawing or drilling it creates the air particles. But flaking pipes and boards and other building elements are just as dangerous. The flakes turn to dust.

Lady's Human
09-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Hence undisturbed.

I was going to avoid getting into asbestos containment and removal 101, but thanks for the clarification.

Should I post the PDF of the manual? :p

wombat2u2004
09-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Hence undisturbed.

I was going to avoid getting into asbestos containment and removal 101, but thanks for the clarification.

Should I post the PDF of the manual? :p

I could imagine what that manual contains. If it's anything like ours, you'd have to get dressed up like Neil Armstrong to go near the bloody stuff.
We had quite a few deaths here attributed to asbestos in the Navy. Evidently they used to wrap the pipes in the engine rooms and places like that with a loose kind of asbestos lagging....Asbestos Blue ??? I think they called it from memory.

wombat2u2004
09-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Not too hard to figure that one out...key word being the "government". They make rules to suit themselves, not our health and safety for sure.

Hah !!! That is so true.
I remember a few years ago, they had water restrictions in Sydney because we had a particularly dry season, and immigration had let in a few gazillion immigrants with no thought given to upgrading the water infrastructure.
There was a burst water main one day, and govt. took their time in fixing it, they certainly were in no hurry.....the media got hold of it, and the govt. did a big panic and got it fixed in no time then....hee hee

moosmom
09-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Asbestos, or Fiber GLASS is dangerous when airborne. Why do they always come out with these revelations of how bad this stuff is, way after people have inhaled it???

Lady's Human
09-10-2010, 02:52 AM
I could imagine what that manual contains. If it's anything like ours, you'd have to get dressed up like Neil Armstrong to go near the bloody stuff.
We had quite a few deaths here attributed to asbestos in the Navy. Evidently they used to wrap the pipes in the engine rooms and places like that with a loose kind of asbestos lagging....Asbestos Blue ??? I think they called it from memory.

Pretty much. Full bunny suit with pumped in air. Main way to remove the crap is to soak it completely then remove it, then wash down the area where it was removed.

There are three fiber types of asbestos, depending on where it's mined. Looking it up, blue asbestos would be reasonable, as it's mined down under.

It was used all over naval ships, some of the vids from WW2 construction yards are eerie. The dust is so thick in the air you can't see through it.