PDA

View Full Version : Sephen Hawking

Marigold2
09-02-2010, 06:08 PM
I have always admired SH. A brillant mind, one of the finest on this earth. If he is correct and honestly I don't doubt that he is I don't mind so much for myself. I have lived a good life thus far.
But I mind because I hope to see my mom again in heaven. To come to grips with the fact that she is gone, truly gone and I will not see her again in the afterlife is very painful, very deep, hard to grasp.
I think for many, including myself that we want to believe in heaven that when we die life goes on. Isn't that funny? Dead but we live forever. It sounds so odd. I think we humans simply cannot accept death, of being totally gone or a loved one gone. Done, over, finished. So we created God, made rules on how to get to heaven and told ourselves of course we could live forever in this perfect place, it sounds so silly. A perfect place, to live forever.
I remember when my mom died, walking outside in the Sept air it was a beautiful day with blue skies and I wanted to scream at the world, HOW DARE THE SUN SHINE, HOW DARE THE BIRDS SING, the most wonderful, loving, kind person just died. How could the earth not just turn dark and die? But of course it did not. Just another day to most of the world, just those that knew my mom were effected.
And I mind for all the animals that I have loved and have loved us.
Their sweet perfect souls, heaven if there is one should just be for them.
But again that would be silly, to live forever in a perfect place.
Why live here on earth at all? Why not just live in heaven with God from the beginning?
I think we are just afraid, afraid to die, afraid to know that it is the end, afraid to let love and comfort go.
If there is a God he is called many names and has many rules that are different in other parts of the world that were created by man to suit his needs.
I think SH is correct. It makes me sad for I so want to see my mom and loved ones again and the pets but logic is logic and make believe is well make believe.
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/afp/20100902/capt.photo_1283428122991-1-0.jpg?x=213&y=147&xc=1&yc=1&wc=409&hc=282&q=85&sig=y6hlURyZecKbTBlpNd2a4g-- (http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/God-no-longer-has-any-place-theories-creation-Universe-due/photo//100902/photos_wl_uk_afp/0fd87ea7184d424ff47d104b8e2549a8//s:/nm/20100902/lf_nm_life/us_britain_hawking)AFP/File – God no longer has any place in theories on the creation of the Universe due to a series of developments …

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/afp/20100902/thumb.photo_1283428122991-1-0.jpg?x=50&y=50&xc=21&yc=1&wc=89&hc=89&q=85&sig=m9e._peZfqT1WHZqBPZEHQ-- (http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Physicist-Stephen-Hawking/ss/events/sc/090210stephenhawking)Slideshow:Physicist Stephen Hawking (http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Physicist-Stephen-Hawking/ss/events/sc/090210stephenhawking)

By Michael Holden Michael Holden – Thu Sep 2, 9:08 am ET
LONDON (Reuters) – God did not create the universe and the "Big Bang" was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics, the eminent British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking argues in a new book.
In "The Grand Design," co-authored with U.S. physicist Leonard Mlodinow, Hawking (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100902/lf_nm_life/us_britain_hawking#) says a new series of theories made a creator of the universe redundant, according to the Times newspaper which published extracts on Thursday.
"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," Hawking writes.
"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."
Hawking, 68, who won global recognition with his 1988 book "A Brief History of Time," an account of the origins of the universe, is renowned for his work on black holes, cosmology and quantum gravity (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100902/lf_nm_life/us_britain_hawking#).
Since 1974, the scientist has worked on marrying the two cornerstones of modern physics -- Albert Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, which concerns gravity and large-scale phenomena, and quantum theory, which covers subatomic particles.
His latest comments suggest he has broken away from previous views he has expressed on religion. Previously, he wrote that the laws of physics meant it was simply not necessary to believe that God had intervened in the Big Bang.
He wrote in A Brief History ... "If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason -- for then we should know the mind of God."
In his latest book, he said the 1992 discovery of a planet orbiting another star other than the Sun helped deconstruct the view of the father of physics Isaac Newton that the universe could not have arisen out of chaos but was created by God.
"That makes the coincidences of our planetary conditions -- the single Sun, the lucky combination of Earth-Sun distance and solar mass, far less remarkable, and far less compelling evidence that the Earth was carefully designed just to please us human beings," he writes.
Hawking, who is only able to speak through a computer-generated voice synthesizer, has a neuro muscular dystrophy that has progressed over the years and left him almost completely paralyzed.
He began suffering the disease in his early 20s but went on to establish himself as one of the world's leading scientific authorities, and has also made guest appearances in "Star Trek" and the cartoons "Futurama" and "The Simpsons."
Last year he announced he was stepping down as Cambridge University's Lucasian Professor of Mathematics, a position once held by Newton and one he had held since 1979.
"The Grand Design" is due to go on sale next week.

Lady's Human
09-02-2010, 06:40 PM
I disagree with Mr. Hawking.

Brilliant he is, but even the greatest minds are wrong at times. Spontaneous generation of anything has been denounced by science for generations, to now state that it exists is frankly foolhardy and defies logic.

wombat2u2004
09-05-2010, 05:23 AM

Brilliant he is, but even the greatest minds are wrong at times. Spontaneous generation of anything has been denounced by science for generations, to now state that it exists is frankly foolhardy and defies logic.

Spontaneous generation of anything has been denounced by science for generations, but even their greatest minds are wrong at times. ;)

CatsMeow
09-05-2010, 05:50 PM

:::

Lilith Cherry
09-05-2010, 07:28 PM
I agree he is brilliant and his views may not necessarily be anyone elses, but, did he actually deny the existence of God or just the theory that God ( by any name) created the universe? There is a difference.

aTailOf2Kitties
09-05-2010, 09:31 PM
who cares what he thinks? Things will or will not happen, no matter what any of us thinks about it. You can contemplate the universe and your place in it until your brain hurts, but it won't actually change where you go or don't go when you pass on. Think whatever satisfies you while you can, no use in stressing over something the rest of your life that you have no control over anyway.

Hawking's just stirring up controversy trying to sell a book:rolleyes:

wombat2u2004
09-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Yeah, who knows ??
Nobody.

Bonny
09-06-2010, 08:07 AM
who cares what he thinks? Things will or will not happen, no matter what any of us thinks about it. You can contemplate the universe and your place in it until your brain hurts, but it won't actually change where you go or don't go when you pass on. Think whatever satisfies you while you can, no use in stressing over something the rest of your life that you have no control over anyway.

That is what we call MARKETING. Right on there. :)

Marigold2
09-06-2010, 09:45 AM
You are totally correct, none of us knows and we won't know until it is too late. That is why any religon no matter which is just a guess and killing people over your views or blowing yourself up is just beyond crazy.
I think we all would love to think of a God a father figure that takes care of us, loves us no matter what, forgives us, heals us and defends us from evil but that really is not the way the world is.
Do I think that Jesus died for my sins, yes in a way I do because I was brought up that way and want to believe I will see my mom and loved ones in heaven? As for the animals, I cannot imagine that they would not have a soul, not go to heaven if it exists. But the logical, the thinking women in me questions this and does not see how it is possible.
As for SH he has many books in print, does not need the money and is confined to a wheelchair now for many many years. Thinking is pretty much all he can do and with a brillant brain such as his pondering the wonders of life is what he does.

Catherinedana
09-07-2010, 01:08 PM
My belief system is based on my life experience, not science, not the recommendation of others. . .just me in my own head and my own heart-song.

It doesn't matter how the universe was created; we are here. . .that's a fact. And if it was luck or coincidence, what an absolutely "divine" coincidence it is!! (Pun intended) And that there is a connection between all living creatures to me is indisputable. . .the life-force. What is that? A miracle. That's enough for me.

Karen
09-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Stephen Hawking's book does not state that he is an athesist, or that he does not believe in God. Instead he talks about the complexities on of the universe, and the theory of multiverses. If one choose to believe God created the universe, could not God also have created multiverses?

If you respect him so much, you should probably read the book for yourself, and not base your opinions on media reports who may be picking and choosing bits or soundbites without even reading it, to make it more salacious or opinion-worthy, and a chance to pontificate.

momoffuzzyfaces
09-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Well, as a Bible believing Christian I have no problem believing God created not only our universe but all of them. It does say he did after all! He may have even made other beings on other planets. Just because it's not mentioned in the Bible, doesn't mean he didn't. He might not have wanted to give humans more to think about than they could handle back then.

I, myself, have had too many supernatural experiences to not believe in God. :love:

Bonny
09-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Well, as a Bible believing Christian I have no problem believing God created not only our universe but all of them. It does say he did after all! He may have even made other beings on other planets. Just because it's not mentioned in the Bible, doesn't mean he didn't. He might not have wanted to give humans more to think about than they could handle back then.

I, myself, have had too many supernatural experiences to not believe in God. :love:

As a child I had lots of questions & sometimes I got adults mad at me. One time a neighbor lady & I were talking about the stars & planets. I said, I wonder if God made other planets with people on them. This lady really got bent out of shape saying we were the only people God made, I remember in a tone how dare I ask such a question.:( It was like how did she know? Had she been to any of the planets to find out?

Alysser
09-09-2010, 04:04 PM
I am a skeptic of god, but I am not totally against a higher being. I am not a fan of organized religion for other reasons irrelevant to this topic. All I can truthfully say is, people should believe what they want to believe. I do believe in heaven, I don't believe animals have no souls and I like the idea of re-incarnation and all that. But I truthfully don't know if any of that exists. I, for one, enjoy thinking about the possibilities of other life-forms. How can there not be other life-forms out there when there a billions of other galaxies? Anything is possible, we don't know as much as we think.

As for Stephen Hawking, I am a really big fan of his. I have read many of his theories and I think he is brilliant. I believe alot of what he says, but that's simply because I personally choose to. No one needs to believe in anything they don't want to.

Bonny, it's people like those that really annoy me. Pushing their beliefs on everyone else like that is wrong, especially on a child.