PDA

View Full Version : Cat Fountain - how to keep mildew free???

TheAntiPam
09-01-2010, 06:27 PM
My cat Noodle loves to drink running water, so I've provided Her Majesty with a cat fountain. However, mildew seems to get around the edge of the pool of water that receives the fountain flow, above the water line.

Anyone have ideas about how to clean or prevent that mildew without using something harmful to kitties? I've tried just soap and water and rinsing well, but that hasn't been enough.

Many thanks for any ideas!

Catlady711
09-01-2010, 11:49 PM
How often are you washing the whole thing out?

I have to clean my two fountains once a week, but I also use boiled/filtered water in them, not straight tap water. Never had mildew on mine.

I just use plain dish soap and a sponge to clean them.

moosmom
09-02-2010, 05:49 AM
Are you putting filtered water in it? I did that when I owned a PetMate. I couldn't figure out where the mold was coming from. So I stopped using filtered water (since the fountain filters it, itself. The mold stopped. I take it apart and clean it once a week. Helps the fountain last longer.

Medusa
09-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Y'know, I have that problem but only w/one of them. (I have 4.) Seems no matter what I do, I have to clean that one every day.

columbine
09-02-2010, 08:18 AM
I don't know about preventing it, but you can probably clean it with a solution of baking soda.

Love, Columbine

GILL
09-02-2010, 08:26 AM
We have 4 fountains, 2 med Petmates and 2 large Petmates. Mildew has never been a problem in the last 6 years. We use straight tap water from our well (rock hard) the fountains are cleaned every 3-7 days. The filter is changed every other month. We do have a calcium build up around the bowl and on the sides of the ramp. Thats a pain to clean off, you have to use a course srub pad, but the rest just gets cleaned with as soft scrub pad. Then when the filters are changed they all get a good cleaning with mild dish soap.

Randi
09-02-2010, 09:07 AM
I have not seen in Fister's PetMate, I clean it once week, I take it apart and put vinegar in - I have to because the water has a lot of Calcium. Fister seems to prefer drinking from it when the water has been in for a day, but I top it off in the evening with bottled water from the fridge.

Fister still goes and stand in front of the bathroom door to get me come and turn the tap on - he loves running water, too. :p

Could it be that you have scratched the surface of it, which might make it stick?

sirrahbed
09-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Like Randi and others above, I only see the hard water/calcium buildup. The more I scrape it off, I think I do tend to scratch the surface and so it looks worse! Could it be you are seeing mineral deposits rather than mold or mildew? It gets rinsed out so often and the water flows, so it does not seem likely to me that mildew could form?:confused:

Every so often, I take it all apart and pour bleach on it, then scrub with a toothbrush.

The fountain I have now is a Drinkwell and it has a grey textured surface that tends to look better than the shiny white Petmate fountain. Still gets that gritty water line though! (our water is VERY hard even with a softener!)

CatsMeow
09-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Are you putting filtered water in it? I did that when I owned a PetMate. I couldn't figure out where the mold was coming from. So I stopped using filtered water (since the fountain filters it, itself. The mold stopped. I take it apart and clean it once a week. Helps the fountain last longer.

Likewise.

RICHARD
09-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Beer?
;)

catmandu
09-02-2010, 05:37 PM
I pour hot water in every second day , and that helps.
They love their fountain, and even sleep near them.