PDA

View Full Version : The Canadian MS Society is not happy...

Catty1
08-31-2010, 05:25 PM
...because those who have the determination and the means are going overseas for the "liberation" treatment that unblocks a blood vessel and results in improvement. Tremendous improvement.

Neil, someone who is an old friend of the family, has been in a wheelchair for some time. His letters to the newspaper in the city of Saskatoon are well done! Long story short, he left for Germany on the 23rd (with a companion), had the procedure on the 26th, and came home on the 28th.

"So," I said today (31st), "what's NEW?"

He said, "I got my feet back." They have been completely numb from the ankle down; he can now wiggle his toes and feel a piece of paper on the floor under his foot.

His one hand, which was bent weirdly, is relaxing and resuming normal shape. His eyesight is clearer and brighter. AND - instead of lying in bed in one position, he can now turn over in bed.

He sees his GP tomorrow and his GP is going to refer him for physio. As he says, he needs to learn to walk again, and has a lot of work ahead.

My sister died from MS - it was 4 years ago in April. Yes, I choke on the "if only" - but thank GOD others have a real chance at having a good life. :love:

Needless to say, some provincial governments are calling for this therapy to be tested in Canada...but some established conservative people in the health field (ie MS society et al) might well be out of a job.

I am just WOW on this.:D

Grace
08-31-2010, 05:47 PM
My daughter-in-law was diagnosed with MS 17 years ago. Thank God, she's still doing very well. She uses a cane at times, but has had a very easy go of it - unlike so many others.

Those auto-immune diseases are really weird - if one in a family has one, chances are another member will also have one. Doesn't even have to be the same disease. In her case, it's her dad - he has Crohn's Disease.

Laura's Babies
08-31-2010, 06:46 PM
I have a friend on my FB page that has MS and is going to get that treatment.. I think it is the same treatment anyway. She found a doctor in California that does it and was setting up and appointment to go see him when she found one in Florida so was trying to set up an appointment with that one when she found another one in Arizona.. Whichever one can get her in first is the one she is going to see..

Asiel
08-31-2010, 08:15 PM
I wish the whole story about the liberation treatment was posted when someone decides to discuss it. For one thing this is not something new that was just discovered...years ago it was studied under the name Charcot-Marie-Tooth, which is where Dr. Zamboni's data comes from. Also not mentioned was the fact that there has been at least 3 deaths so far from the stents some patients had to have put in, they became displaced and went to the heart and the patients died immediately. And no one seems to remember to mention the isotope dyes that have to be used for the procedure which many people are highly allergic to and do die from being injected with them, especially so close to the brain. Another fact nobody seems to think of mentioning is that Dr. Zamboni's wife did not have m.s which was the reason she refused to be interviewed and still does at this point.

Since Zamboni’s explosive news broke, independent scientists have tried to find some confirmation of his theory. Separate groups of medical researchers in Germany, Sweden, and Buffalo, New York, have used MRI and ultrasounds to examine the cerebral and jugular veins of patients with multiple sclerosis and those without.

The Buffalo study found that just over half the MS patients it screened had some vascular blockages, but that about one-quarter of people without MS had the same blockages. The more recent German and Swedish studies, published this month in the journal Annals of Neurology, found no relationship between blocked veins, blood flow and MS symptoms.

No matter. Over the last few months, trusting, vulnerable patients have been flocking to clinics in places like India, Poland and Bulgaria, paying up to $30,000 to undergo Zamboni’s risky and unproven “liberation” therapy. Some have come home saying they have more energy and range of movement.

Such testimonials, however inspiring, are not proof. In the first place, “liberation” therapy is used to treat a form of multiple sclerosis known as “relapsing-remitting MS.” It is a roller-coaster disease, where people can often experience remissions or lessenings of symptoms, sometimes for no apparent reason.

pomtzu
09-01-2010, 08:46 AM
I wish the whole story about the liberation treatment was posted when someone decides to discuss it. For one thing this is not something new that was just discovered...years ago it was studied under the name Charcot-Marie-Tooth, which is where Dr. Zamboni's data comes from. Also not mentioned was the fact that there has been at least 3 deaths so far from the stents some patients had to have put in, they became displaced and went to the heart and the patients died immediately. And no one seems to remember to mention the isotope dyes that have to be used for the procedure which many people are highly allergic to and do die from being injected with them, especially so close to the brain. Another fact nobody seems to think of mentioning is that Dr. Zamboni's wife did not have m.s which was the reason she refused to be interviewed and still does at this point.

Since Zamboni’s explosive news broke, independent scientists have tried to find some confirmation of his theory. Separate groups of medical researchers in Germany, Sweden, and Buffalo, New York, have used MRI and ultrasounds to examine the cerebral and jugular veins of patients with multiple sclerosis and those without.

The Buffalo study found that just over half the MS patients it screened had some vascular blockages, but that about one-quarter of people without MS had the same blockages. The more recent German and Swedish studies, published this month in the journal Annals of Neurology, found no relationship between blocked veins, blood flow and MS symptoms.

No matter. Over the last few months, trusting, vulnerable patients have been flocking to clinics in places like India, Poland and Bulgaria, paying up to $30,000 to undergo Zamboni’s risky and unproven “liberation” therapy. Some have come home saying they have more energy and range of movement.

Such testimonials, however inspiring, are not proof. In the first place, “liberation” therapy is used to treat a form of multiple sclerosis known as “relapsing-remitting MS.” It is a roller-coaster disease, where people can often experience remissions or lessenings of symptoms, sometimes for no apparent reason.

Thanks for a more in-depth look into this. All too often, people jump on the bandwagon for new cures/treatments for so many dreaded diseases, without researching and reading the fine print. Yes - it might work to some degree in some cases, but it's not that magic cure-all that others expect it is. I suppose one could say "nothing ventured/nothing gained", and the experimental treatments have to start somewhere and with actual human subjects, yet these subjects should also be prepared for the idea that it might not work for them.

I do wish that this "liberation therapy" was the magic bullet, but I don't believe that any cure is visible just around the corner. I have seen and heard of the many ravages of MS from friends (;)), ex co-workers, and an uncle who died from it many years ago, and would be delighted if this treatment would be what all MS sufferers are looking for.

MoonandBean
09-01-2010, 08:50 AM
As most of you probably know, I have been very involved in promoting good causes via the pepsi challenge. I was following this one last month as they were "close but no cigar" but this month...they are starting out in first place so if you want to support them, here is the link:

http://www.refresheverything.com/multiplesclerosisdreams

Catty1
09-01-2010, 09:40 AM
As Neil put it - he faced the rest of his life being unable to move, in a wheelchair. If there was a ray of light under the door, he was going for it. He had NOTHING to lose, which is what many of the people with MS face. My sister was one.

I suggest you talk to someone that has actually had this done. Neil knows two other people near him that have had this procedure and are markedly improved. There is a woman in Calgary who was on the news - she had had this and again, there was improvement.

Neil told me that his surgeon mentioned stents - he doesn't use them because they necessitate about a year of blood thinners, and he doesn't like to use those drugs.

If you read Neil's letters to the editor about this subject, you would see he is anything but vulnerable (and gullible). There are calls in Canada to do studies on this technique - but it rocks the apple cart and too many people would lose jobs and money if it worked even 50% of the time.

I can easily believe it was known many years ago...it's medical politics that prohibits it from being studied properly. JMO. There have been protests by MS patients at various hospitals.

If you deny people a chance at life, they will take matters into their own hands, whatever the chances.

Wouldn't you?

pomtzu
09-01-2010, 10:16 AM
There are calls in Canada to do studies on this technique - but it rocks the apple cart and too many people would lose jobs and money if it worked even 50% of the time.

I can easily believe it was known many years ago...it's medical politics that prohibits it from being studied properly. JMO.

I find it highly unlikely that studies and research would be suppressed because of loss of revenue to some greedy organizations. If that was the case, then there would never have been any cures for anything, ever. JMO of course...

Asiel
09-01-2010, 11:59 AM
I find it highly unlikely that studies and research would be suppressed because of loss of revenue to some greedy organizations. If that was the case, then there would never have been any cures for anything, ever. JMO of course...

You're absolutely right about that Pom....no studies and research have been suppressed because of loss of revenue. The MS societies of Canada are some of the hardest working Chapter's that I know . The people volunteering their time and money are to be commended instead of being called greedy. But our doctors and the Chapters are working together to see that we will not be used as guinea pigs in some research that has yet to be proven. Not one double blind study has been conducted up to date. And yes, I did see a few patients run off and have the procedure done... 5 to 9 mos later they are back at the same stage they were before. This "liberation" treatment has a big placebo effect on many patients and some are now admitting it. One man who couldn't cope with the unrelenting fatigue flew to Poland for the treatment and came back elated...6 mos. later he's right back where he was and he himself said it was the placebo effect.

When they publicize this treatment they seem to leave out any and all of the side effects and dangers and that has to make me wonder. As for people jumping on the bandwagon and demanding the treatment be made available there will always be those that enjoy the publicity this brings. If any ms patients have the energy to join up and rally they must not be feeling too bad off. If anyone has the money to pay for the treatment and want to forego safety and risk it, that's up to them. But people should know all the facts before shooting off their mouths and calling hardworking caring volunteers greedy. The doctors that treat MS patients would love nothing better than to find a real cure...so far this has not been proven to be the case.

Catty1
09-01-2010, 02:27 PM
I think some of the posters here should talk to someone with MS before they open their mouths. :mad:

Catty1
09-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Link to this article is at the bottom. Please also browse through the reader comments below it.
Health minister rejects MS therapy trial
Canada won't fund clinical trial of so-called liberation therapy for multiple sclerosis as yet
Last Updated: Wednesday, September 1, 2010 | 1:10 PM

CBC News

Some Canadians with multiple sclerosis are going overseas for a controversial procedure known as liberation therapy that aims to improve blood flow from the brain. It is too early for a pan-Canadian clinical trial to test the treatment, Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq says.Some Canadians with multiple sclerosis are going overseas for a controversial procedure known as liberation therapy that aims to improve blood flow from the brain. It is too early for a pan-Canadian clinical trial to test the treatment, Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq says. (CBC)

The Canadian government will not fund a clinical trial of the so-called liberation therapy for multiple sclerosis at this time, Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq says.

Aglukkaq spoke to reporters in Ottawa on Wednesday, a day after a panel of North American experts announced they unanimously recommended against supporting a clinical trial of the treatment in Canada as yet.

Aglukkaq commissioned the expert panel's report from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, which funds medical research, and the MS Society of Canada.

"I feel the most prudent course of action at this time is to accept the recommendation of the country's leading researchers," Aglukkaq told a news conference.
P.O.V.:

Should the federal government fund "liberation therapy" trials? Take our poll.

Liberation therapy is based on an unproven theory of chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency (CCSVI) — put forward by Italian doctor Paolo Zamboni — that blocked veins in the neck or spine are to blame for MS. Zamboni proposed treating multiple sclerosis by inflating small balloons to open up veins.

Some Canadians are spending thousands of dollars to seek the experimental treatment overseas.

CIHR head Dr. Alain Beaudet said experts weren't convinced Zamboni's procedure works and is safe. Beaudet said he advised Aglukkaq that it was too early to back clinical trials.
Safety questions

In June, the MS society and its U.S. counterpart awarded a combined $2.4 million in research grants to diagnostic studies aimed at testing whether Zamboni's theory is correct, by checking for abnormal blood flow in the veins in people with MS and healthy controls using ultrasound, MRI or catheters with dye. The research projects are expected to take two years.

Yves Savoie, the president of the MS Society of Canada, said Wednesday that his organization would monitor the results of the studies.

If they suggest there is a clear link between occluded veins and MS, then the society will recommend that a clinical trial testing vein opening be started quickly.

Beaudet said Zamboni's treatment is currently too risky to try in Canada.

"Any procedure where you inject a catheter in a vein, where you compress the vein, where you risk damage to the internal sheath of the vein, is not without risk."

But MS patient Tim Cant of Whitehorse, who travelled to India to undergo liberation therapy earlier this year, said he and others have seen their conditions improve.

"They talk about us being … one of the best medical systems in the world," Cant told CBC News on Wednesday. "Why is it so many Canadians are now travelling to other places in the world to get this operation done?"

Cant, who was diagnosed with MS three years ago, said if politicians could experience first-hand the physical and mental pain that multiple sclerosis inflicts on people, they would fund clinical trials without hesitation.
Objective measurements

To show liberation therapy works would require objective measurements, such as changes in muscle strength, a reduction in the frequency of relapses of MS symptoms or differences in MRI brain scans, Beaudet said.

Aglukkaq agreed that if evidence from the research projects supports the launching of a clinical trial, then the federal government would allow a pan-Canadian study of the ballooning therapy, called angioplasty, on patients.

For months, the federal Liberal position has been that the government should fund research to figure out whether the treatment is of benefit to Canadian patients or not, Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff said Wednesday at the party's caucus meeting in Baddeck, N.S.

Ignatieff said it's not appropriate for politicians to say which treatment is going to work, but for doctors and scientists to do so, assisted by the federal government.

Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall has said his province would fund a clinical trial into the procedure if it receives a research proposal for one.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/09/01/ms-ccsvi-liberation-aglukkaq.html#ixzz0yJ9dtxTy

Catty1
09-01-2010, 02:45 PM
One comment quoted here:

I have MS. I spend hundreds of dollars of month on drugs. I take a medication that is supposed to reduce relapses by 30% that can only be administered by injection. The injections are very painful and cause large lumps under my skin and joint pain. One of the possible side effects of this medication is cancer. I have been given so many prescriptions and I have so many drugs in my system and each one has very unpleasant side effects. My drugs make me feel worse than MS does. There may be a drug free way to reduce my symptoms but I cannot access it because in the end - an angioplasty may be too risky. Under the circumstances I am willing to take that chance.

pomtzu
09-01-2010, 03:00 PM
I think some of the posters here should talk to someone with MS before they open their mouths. :mad:

You know not of what you speak - just by the above statement! :mad:

And I honestly don't see where the Canadian government is suppressing any testing to the monetary benefit of research and support organizations.

Asiel
09-01-2010, 06:24 PM

You said a mouthful there so when will you be speaking to a real patient instead of listening to all the BS thrown around by the media. It's high time to stop spouting off stuff you read that was written by angry people who don't know the risks and dangers involved. If the truth of this whole matter were told many people would be backing down. Unless patients refuse to heed their physicians' advice and warnings on this matter then they are free to take the risks involved but they shouldn't expect the rest of patients with MS who choose to take a safe approach to join them in this fight. And I would hate to see our government waste money on something with so many loopholes and risks to patients. As I stated, there has not been one double blind study done as yet and so far many patients who had the procedure have returned to have it redone because they fell right back to where they were. Most of them have realized the placebo effect that the procedure had on them and admitted it.

Marigold2
09-01-2010, 07:24 PM
I am happy for your friend, how wonderful to get one's life back. The US is not the only place on this earth that provides good medical care we are not front runners on many drugs either.
If a person is ill the should have the right to go any where in the world and get medical treatment that they deem and their family and love ones deem is best for them.
Didn't Farrah Fawcett go to Germany for treatment?
We have doctors without boarders how about patients without them?

Catty1
09-01-2010, 07:29 PM
My sister died of MS just over 4 years ago. If there had been a snowball's chance in hell that this might have worked for her, we would have gone for it.

She was brilliant and fun, and then not much more than a breathing corpse the last 2 years of her life. She was 48 when she died.

Hence, I do react strongly to this.

ETA: It's not so much the question of research being suppressed - it's more the pharma companies that produce the very expensive meds for MS.

pomtzu
09-02-2010, 07:27 AM
Didn't Farrah Fawcett go to Germany for treatment?

Yes - and didn't she die??? :rolleyes: She didn't want conventional treatment because she didn't want to have to "wear a bag". The conventional treatment might well have saved her if she had started early enough.

A friend of mine was diagnosed with colon cancer when in her 30's, and she declined chemo and opted for a radical treatment consisting of coffee enemas and there was something with sea shells involved - can't remember what. Of course she died. She was a very tiny, petite girl,, but looked like a shriveled up 90 year old lady, in a semi fetal position, laid out in that coffin. She left behind a husband and 2 small children. Her husband told me later, that the doctors were certain she would have survived if she had taken the chemo and radiation.

So these experimental, unproven, radical and dangerous miracle treatments, are much of the time, a death sentence, or at best, of no permanent value. False hope that they offer, usually only benefits the people that peddle their wares. :mad:

Catty1
09-02-2010, 09:38 AM
http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100901/edm_liberation_100901/20100901/?hub=CalgaryHome

Alta. woman returns home after undergoing controversial procedure for MS

Christine Engelhardt spent thousands of dollars on controversial MS treatment in Costa Rica.

Updated: Wed Sep. 01 2010 16:56:35

ctvedmonton.ca

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ImageShrinker?http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20100816/430_mstrip_100816.jpg,430,241
A Stony Plain nurse is back home after receiving a controversial new treatment for multiple sclerosis in Costa Rica.

Christine Engelhardt has been living with MS for 10 years. She says one of her first symptoms was blindness in her left eye.

Engelhardt is now one of many MS sufferers who've chosen to travel out of the country to receive the liberation treatment, which involves the widening of the veins.

The procedure is based on research from an Italian doctor who found blocked veins in some MS patients could be reversed by a procedure similar to balloon angioplasty. Several countries are offering the treatment and have reported successful results but it is still not available in Canada.

Engelhardt spent $20,000 to obtain the treatment in Costa Rica. She says two weeks ago she couldn't pour coffee without spilling because her hands had no strength. Her symptoms also included headaches, loss of balance, and severe muscle spasms.

"My fatigue was insane. I couldn't make it through a whole day," she said.

She says after undergoing the treatment in Central America, she felt instant change.

"When I first woke up from the anesthesia I could feel my left foot, which I haven't been able to feel for about two years."

Engelhardt says she is disappointed the treatment hasn't been approved in Canada.

"I just wish everyone had this opportunity to feel better because we deserve it...we deserve the choice."

On Wednesday, officials announced the federal government would not fund clinical trials in Canada.

"There's no evidence that venous insufficiency is linked in any way to multiple sclerosis," said Dr. Alain Beaudet with the Canadian Institute of Health Research.

Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq said the federal government will assemble a working group to study data from seven studies of the treatment, which are now underway.

"To ensure that we have the evidence to support this procedure, we need to do the research," Aglukkaq said. "And once we have that, we will proceed -- if there is enough evidence from the seven research projects already underway around this subject -- we will proceed with pan-Canadian clinical trials. We will support that. At this point in time, we do not have the evidence to proceed."

Aglukkaq said the studies are expected to take two years to complete.

With files from Susan Amerongen and CTV.ca News Staff

Countries that are offering the procedure: Scotland, Germany, India, Poland, Costa Rica...that's all I know of. The first two, at least, aren't "third-world" countries.

pomtzu
09-02-2010, 10:05 AM
I sincerely wish all the people who have had this treatment, lasting results, and that it proves to be positive, and not just a temporary fix - a very small bandaid if you will - on a very large wound. :(

I personally would be interested to see where they stand a year or two after the initial treatment, and if it has to be repeated.

Catty1
09-02-2010, 11:13 AM
You and me both, Pomtzu. :)

My friend Neil is proceeding immediately to physiotherapy via his GP; guess he is striking while the iron is hot. Hope it works for him.

$20,000 (last reported cost in Scotland was $8,000+) is barely a year's salary for some ($20,000 would be a dream for me! ;) ). Given what a patient and their family(ies) might spend on everything from meds to home care to losing wages being a caregiver, I suppose this price doesn't seem so bad. Neil had a companion fly with him to help him, and most if not all airlines allow a companion to fly at half price.

I hope the people that have benefitted from this have some sort of follow-up plan to try and move forward. It's like a heart attack, in a way - one doesn't go back to daily fatty fast foods and smoking and over-indulging in booze.

If this treatment even only gives people a break from this illness for 2 months...I wonder if the cost might be worth it?

And - if the results are often temporary, and the veins clog again - THAT might even provide a huge clue as to how to treat this disease in a more permanent way.

My sister's case was too advanced for trials of medications (many of which work well - have heard good things about Avonex). Also - the existing meds were not recommended for her. Reason? It's a dubious "benefit" of so-called "socialized medicine". Provincial governments cover the costs of these meds - some of them run $10,000 a month. Therefore MS specialists prescribe the medications for cases where they will do the most good - ie, less severe cases.

NB: Just as an example, for the drug trials, a person with MS has to be able to walk the length of a football field. And the first stage of the trial is done on healthy people to establish a safe dosage.

pomtzu
09-02-2010, 11:50 AM
NB: Just as an example, for the drug trials, a person with MS has to be able to walk the length of a football field. And the first stage of the trial is done on healthy people to establish a safe dosage.

IMO - sounds pretty darned ridiculous - both counts.

If you can walk the length of a football field, then you can't be that bad - very early stages I would think, or a much less severe form.

And healthy people being used to establish safe levels???? How can levels of safety be measured if the person being tested, doesn't even have MS??? A person with MS, and one without, will respond differently I would think. Of course, I'm no doctor or researcher, so what do I know???

Asiel
09-02-2010, 02:06 PM
You'd be surprised at how much you know Pom. ;)
Canada and Britain are the two hot spots for MS. I don't think there are too many people who don't have a family member that isn't suffering from ms.
One of my closest friends is totally paralyzed from the head down, fed by tubes and can barely whisper, she's been like this for 7 yrs now. Most of the time she is sleeping but when she's awake she enjoys our company. We've not once heard her say she would rather be dead than living like this. And neither has her husband or daughter ever mentioned this.
There are so many people out there who have ms and all are at different stages.
The drug trials you find ridiculous are just that...ridiculous. We have a large center 8 hours away who conduct trials and this is just not so. It goes to show to what extent the media and gossip have people believing crap like this. A few people that I know took part in the trials, they discussed it in whole with our society and nothing like that takes place...ever...

Everyone would like to see a cure for this disease but so far because of the differences in just about every patient nothing that works for one will work for everyone. But that doesn't mean to say patients should be putting their lives in danger because of some hype.

Medusa
09-02-2010, 06:55 PM
This is rather off topic but not really. Years ago I saw a report about MS patients getting bee stings and many of them claim that they went from a wheel chair to being able to walk again. I never did see any follow up programs and I just wonder how they're doing now. I also saw a story about a woman who sky dived and claims that she improved remarkably w/MS symptoms but again, I saw no follow up so I don't know how she's doing either. Has anyone else seen a similar story?

Catty1
09-02-2010, 07:30 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/defiant-saskatchewan-refuses-to-bend-on-clinical-trials-for-ms-treatment/article1693372/

Caroline Alphonso and Gloria Galloway

Toronto and Ottawa — From Thursday's Globe and Mail Published on Wednesday, Sep. 01, 2010 10:30PM EDT Last updated on Thursday, Sep. 02, 2010 6:38AM EDT

Saskatchewan is not backing down from its plan to start clinical trials on a controversial new treatment for multiple sclerosis, even though the federal Health Minister, the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada and the health-research community insist it’s too risky and that the province lacks the capacity to forge ahead.

The province’s Health Minister, Don McMorris, said once Saskatchewan gets the green light from researchers conducting diagnostic tests on patients, it will move toward accepting clinical trial proposals for the so-called liberation therapy, which could be as early as the new year.

“We started down this road without needing the approval or disapproval of the federal government. Provinces do research in areas on a regular basis. We feel this is an area that we need to take the leadership role, and we’re not backing down from that position,” Mr. McMorris said in an interview on Wednesday.

Federal Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq has accepted the position of the Canadian Institutes of Health Research that it’s too soon to conduct clinical trials on the procedure pioneered by Italian doctor Paolo Zamboni. The MS Society added leverage to Ottawa’s position on Wednesday by saying Saskatchewan can’t conduct a meaningful clinical trial on its own.

Yves Savoie, president of the MS Society of Canada, said a true clinical trial must be conducted at more than one institution and in more than one province. Because MS is so variable, “it will require well over 1,000 participants that will be recruited through a number of centres,” he said. “A single province or a single site would simply not be a way to get to the definitive answers that we all want.”

Saskatchewan has the highest rate of MS in the country.

Officials in the province rejected the notion that their clinical trials, if approved by the necessary regulatory bodies, would be lacking in science or thorough research. A spokeswoman for Premier Brad Wall said the province is not opposed to a joint study with another province. Researchers in Saskatchewan are already about to start conducting diagnostic testing of Dr. Zamboni’s theory with their counterparts in British Columbia, one of the seven projects funded by MS Societies in Canada and the United States.

“We don’t accept the fact that a thousand individuals would be required for a clinical trial. There is a clinical trial right now in New York with a much smaller group – and have been for many other clinical trials for various medical research. We would take our lead from the specialists putting together proposals,” said Kathy Young, communications director for Mr. Wall.

Liberation therapy has not only pitted the federal government against one province, but it also has been hotly debated in the MS community since Dr. Zamboni published a study suggesting the disease is a vascular disorder caused by vein blockages that lead to a buildup of iron rather than an autoimmune disease. He said it could be treated with a simple surgical procedure – angioplasty.

Studies on his theory have had mixed results. Researchers in Germany and Sweden recently found no unusual blockages in the veins of multiple sclerosis patients compared with those of control groups.

What also remains unclear – and what the diagnostic studies in Canada and around the world may determine – is whether multiple sclerosis causes blocked veins or if blockage of the veins leading from the brain causes MS, as hypothesized by Dr. Zamboni. The CIHR recommended on Tuesday that therapeutic clinical trials be put on hold until the results come in from the seven research projects to determine if there is a link between vein blockages and the disease.

But the uncertainty hasn’t stopped multiple sclerosis patients from receiving treatment. While the procedure has yet to undergo clinical trials in Canada, many here have shelled out thousands of dollars for the unproven and experimental treatment in countries such as India and Poland.

Saskatchewan’s announcement in July that it would finance clinical trials put it at the forefront of Canadian efforts to introduce a treatment. Newfoundland and Labrador has told the CBC it is also willing to help fund clinical trials.

“When we look at the prevalency of MS within our population, when you look at the number of people that have gone overseas to have the procedure done and the anecdotal evidence that is coming back, it puts a strong case,” Mr. McMorris said. “What we want to do as a government is take a leadership role and either prove or dispel this so-called treatment.”

ETA: Comments section on this article: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/defiant-saskatchewan-refuses-to-bend-on-clinical-trials-for-ms-treatment/article1693372/

Asiel
09-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Medussa I was laughing so hard when I read your post I almost fell out of my chair. Yes, I can answer those questions for you. The bee sting hype was just that. A person well known to me was one of the foolish to try the bee sting treatment...and she did get results....an ambulance was called and she was lucky to make it through the bee stings. That's when she found out she had triggered a response that left her with a severe allergy to bee and wasp stings. Besides being chided by every doctor that saw her she now carries an Epi Pen and will for the rest of her life. And yes, she still has MS. Uses a wheelcahir most of the time for shopping and long walks but still has good days where she can navigate in her home. Will she fall for the "liberation" treatment...not on your life, her doctor explained it all in great and precise detail to her and she trusts him completely. Guess the bee stings taught her a lesson.
As for the sky diver that was a well done hoax and it was found out. A lot of people had actually donated money to help "the cause"...there was talk about charges but then everything died down so don't know what happened after that but I'm sure if she had been cured she would have made headlines.

Medusa
09-02-2010, 07:35 PM
I can certainly see how bee stings could cause a reaction but there were several people involved and none had reactions but only good results. I wondered if they had to keep getting stung for the rest of their lives or if they were able to discontinue them and consider themselves in remission. I guess I could Google it, huh?

Asiel
09-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Nobody seems to have heard of any great results from the bee stings. I know the "Enquirer" did go on a hype with stories about what a great cure it was for people but then the Enquirer isn't anything I take seriously, though the story did sell lots of papers.
Googling it is a great idea, I never thought of that. Guess that's what I'll be doing too, although I watch where the info comes from, could be from the 'Enquirer" :D

Medusa
09-02-2010, 08:29 PM
I saw the story on TV on a show such as 60 Minutes but don't quote me. It was years ago, maybe 20 or so, and I don't remember what program it was on. The Enquirer does some fluff but they once in a while do break a true story. (The John Edwards' baby story comes to mind but that's a totally different type of reporting.) I guess even a blind squirrel can find a nut now and then.

wombat2u2004
09-03-2010, 04:32 AM
Canada and Britain are the two hot spots for MS. I don't think there are too many people who don't have a family member that isn't suffering from ms.

I wonder why. It must be something enviromental that causes it do you think ???

Asiel
09-03-2010, 07:37 AM
According to the numerous neurologists that have spoken about this , it seems that the damp and cold climate plays a huge part in it. According to some researchers if a person is born in Arizona or other tropical country and lived there till they were in their teens and then moved to Canada, the chances of them developing ms would be almost non existant. And if a person is born in the cold damp countries and live there till their teens and then move to the hot countries the chances of developping ms would remain high.
I haven't looked into this theory so I don't know if it's true or not but seeing it comes from leading researchers I don't discount it.
I know for a fact that Canada does have a high index of ms and Britain just as high if not more so.
I do know that teenagers in Canada often experience their first attack between 14-16.

wombat2u2004
09-03-2010, 09:38 PM
According to the numerous neurologists that have spoken about this , it seems that the damp and cold climate plays a huge part in it. According to some researchers if a person is born in Arizona or other tropical country and lived there till they were in their teens and then moved to Canada, the chances of them developing ms would be almost non existant. And if a person is born in the cold damp countries and live there till their teens and then move to the hot countries the chances of developping ms would remain high.
I haven't looked into this theory so I don't know if it's true or not but seeing it comes from leading researchers I don't discount it.
I know for a fact that Canada does have a high index of ms and Britain just as high if not more so.
I do know that teenagers in Canada often experience their first attack between 14-16.

Hmmmmmm....that is very interesting.
It puts me in mind of LUPUS........even tho it is now prevalent anywhere in the world, about 35 years ago it was mainly a disease of women who migrated from Asia to Western countries.
Gotta be something to do with the environment.