PDA

View Full Version : For FACEBOOK Users UPDATE POST 23!!!

Freedom
08-30-2010, 09:53 AM
In case you haven't caught this "new" invasion of privacy on Facebook. They are at it again! They just don't LEARN!!!

Facebook launched Facebook Places. Anyone can find out where you are when you're logged in. Gives actual address & map location of where you are as you use Facebook. To UNDO: Go to "Account", "Account Settings", click on the tab for "Notifications", then scroll down to "Places" and UNCHECK the 2 boxes. Make sure to SAVE changes.

Ignore this and move to Page 2, Post 23!

happylabs
08-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks for posting this. :)

Kirsten
08-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks! :)

krazyaboutkatz
08-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Thanks I'll go do this now.:)

Whisk_Luva
08-30-2010, 11:24 AM

Taz_Zoee
08-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Thanks! And it's a good thing I don't have facebook on my cell phone anyway. But I don't need people knowing when I'm at work or home.

aTailOf2Kitties
08-30-2010, 01:03 PM
yeah I noticed that people's locations were popping up occasionally. I'm like "I don't care that my buddy is at his favorite bar, or how to get there"

Laura's Babies
08-30-2010, 01:59 PM
I want to know why facebook keeps trying all the things? First everybody can get your phone number, now THIS? WHY do they even CARE? And they keep doing stuff that changes your settings... :rolleyes: I go in and check my settings often..

Roxyluvsme13
08-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Oh, Facebook. Nobody cares where everyone is... :rolleyes:

Thanks, Freedom. I changed mine.

neko1
08-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks!

FB really needs to stop doing stuff like this:mad:

chocolatepuppy
08-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Done. Thanks! ;)

Kirsten
08-31-2010, 08:31 AM
Anyone else having problems loading the FB website? I keep getting a server error message today. :(

Whisk_Luva
08-31-2010, 08:35 AM
Anyone else having problems loading the FB website? I keep getting a server error message today. :(

Yep :(

Roxyluvsme13
08-31-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm not having any problems today :/ But I've read a lot of statuses about people who ARE having trouble...

Just kidding, I'm having the awfulest time trying to load pages on FB. Ugh. Did they do an update or are they in the process of updating anything? Cause that usually slows everything down???

Kirsten
08-31-2010, 08:57 AM
Strange. I just spent a couple of minutes on FB, now the server error message is back...:confused:

Whisk_Luva
08-31-2010, 09:05 AM
Strange. I just spent a couple of minutes on FB, now the server error message is back...:confused:

Mine is ok at the moment :confused:

Husky_mom
08-31-2010, 10:31 AM
what I hate the most.. is that they never tell you about their "improvements".. you just either find out yourself or through friends..

why can´t they say.." hey, we made this..bla bla bla.. if you don´t want it go and do this bla bla bla"

no wonder everyone is annoyed by all this "enhancements" no one wants/needs :rolleyes:

pomtzu
08-31-2010, 10:49 AM
The more I read and hear about FB, the more anti-FB I am. Seems to me that they make it way too easy for anybody to get info on you that you don't want out there for the masses. If you're not extremely diligent in keeping up with their changes, and keeping your privacy settings up to date, then you're at their mercy. :mad:
That's too much like work for me! I'll stick with email and the occasional text.

sirrahbed
08-31-2010, 11:04 AM
In case you haven't caught this "new" invasion of privacy on Facebook. They are at it again! They just don't LEARN!!!

Facebook launched Facebook Places. Anyone can find out where you are when you're logged in. Gives actual address & map location of where you are as you use Facebook. To UNDO: Go to "Account", "Account Settings", click on the tab for "Notifications", then scroll down to "Places" and UNCHECK the 2 boxes. Make sure to SAVE changes.

also look under ACCOUNT>PRIVACY SETTINGs>CUSTOMIZE SETTINGS and there is a place to DISABLE the new Facebook Places stuff. Hopefully this takes care of it? There are actually many places to adjust the settings. I love Facebook but this does get very annoying!!

Roxyluvsme13
08-31-2010, 12:01 PM
Facebook made a post about why the site was being weird and apparently they've fixed the problem.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n209/JackandLizForeverx3/fb.jpg

Catlady711
08-31-2010, 12:12 PM

Here's a site where you can check Facebook's status to see if the server is down or if it's just your cpu.

http://downrightnow.com/facebook

smokey the elder
08-31-2010, 01:57 PM
I let my FB account lapse because of all the privacy issues. I'm not overly paranoid, but why take chances?

Freedom
08-31-2010, 04:03 PM
Seems the info I passed along was not on target. :rolleyes:

What we did (if you followed the original post):
Unchecking the 2 boxes DOES NOT PREVENT PEOPLE from "seeing" where you're at. It merely stops (Facebook) sending you emails to notify you that someone has.....

* Tagged me at a place
* Commented on my visits to places

"Notifications" notifies you (via email/sms) that someone has accepted you as a friend etc etc etc.
It does not disable the application.

SO . . .

To customize who you want to see places you're at....
* Go to your Facebook “Account”
* Select “Privacy Settings”
* Select “customize”
* Under “Things I Share”....
* Go to “Places I Check In”
* From the drop down menu, select “Customize”
* At “Customize”, Choose the settings.
* You can choose “only me” if you don’t want to share with anyone.

If you don't want others to check you into places.....
* Go to your Facebook “Account”
* Select “Privacy Settings”
* Select “customize”
* Under “Things Others Share”, Go to “Friends can check me in to Places”
* Select “Disabled”

Catty1
08-31-2010, 05:00 PM
DONE. Thanks!

sirrahbed
08-31-2010, 06:54 PM
I get some of my best info on PetTalk:D

*LabLoverKEB*