PDA

View Full Version : AAACCCKKK!!! I wish I didn't know this...but now I do...

mugsy
10-24-2002, 03:18 PM
EEEWWWW....I think it's time for a make-up change.

WHY ARBONNE BRINGS YOU INNER PEACE

Peace of mind, heart and soul

It has become public knowledge for many years now, that the cosmetic and personal care industry uses small, furry animals to conduct testing for toxicity of products and for lethal dosages of products. The testing involves gruesome and painful torture of dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs...all the common pet companion animals that we have come to care for and love as lifelong family members. Once you see even photographs of the torture of these helpless 'friends of mankind' it is impossible to forget as you apply your mascara, lipstick, foundation, or lotion on your precious baby.

Arbonne gives you an enlightened alternative to supporting the continued torture with your consumer dollars. Arbonne does absolutely NO TESTING OF PRODUCTS ON ANIMALS. Arbonne brings you peace of mind.

Not as well known is the fact that yearly millions of dogs and cats surrendered at animal control facilities in every city and town in the United States are euthanized for lack of cage space in city facilities. This is a sad reality in itself because most of these pets are young, healthy, affectionate and just need a responsible human to care for them, train them, and provide love and attention. What do you suppose happens to the barrels and barrels of carcasses that animal control euthanasia rooms produce? They are picked up by rendering companies and boiled down in big vats into fat and a slurry of flesh and fur. The fats are sold to companies making household consumer items, and are also sold to cosmetic and personal care companies for use in lipsticks, lotions, creams, foundation bases, etc. The slurry is sold to livestock yards as "protein supplements" for cattle feed, and also to PET FOOD COMPANIES as additives to dog and cat foods.

Are you sickened? It is not surprising if you are.

Arbonne provides you with an enlightened alternative to applying companion pet remains on your face and body. Arbonne does not use any animal products in its cosmetics. Only botanicals are used, so you can apply wonderful Arbonne cosmetic and personal care products knowing that you are not perpetuating the use of helpless and homeless pets as lipstick and foundation bases to make you look beautiful. Arbonne brings you peace of heart.

YOU WILL LOOK GREAT AND FEEL WONDERFUL IN HEART, MIND AND SOUL BECAUSE YOU ARE MAKING THE RIGHT CHOICE. Arbonne products are superior in formulation, application, and are kind to your face and body as well as your conscience. Click on Shop Online now, establish your Client ID and password, and experience the Arbonne alternative for mindful living. You will be so glad you did. And you might even be inspired to visit PETFINDER and open your heart and home to a kitten, cat, puppy or dog that would otherwise be at risk in animal control.

popcornbird
10-24-2002, 03:21 PM
I know, its aweful. I don't really use makeup yet..................mom says its bad for young skin...........................but anyway, whatever lotions, chapsticks, or whatever little makeup I do use, we buy the ones that say "not tested on animals." I never understood that statement until now. Why WOULD they test it on animals??? I'm glad my mom only buys not tested on animal products. Some people are just so mean. :(

NoahsMommy
10-24-2002, 04:06 PM
Just be careful...I totally agree with buying products not tested on animals...but those Arbonne parties are BORING!!! I had to go to one with my mom a few months ago and I can't even tell you how much the pressure sales turned us off. Because of it...my mom only bought a $30 4 oz. bottle of sun block and I refused to buy anything. Imagine the looks I got...

Good info though. :) It's amazing how many large companies do this...it's very sad. :( You'd think we were more advanced than that.

mugsy
10-24-2002, 04:33 PM
OH trust me...I won't EVER sell that stuff..I may by from a catalog, but never a party...I detest home interior, make-up, tupperware, any of the over priced high pressure stuff.

koxka
10-24-2002, 05:00 PM
Here , in Europe , we have BODYSHOP, I don't know if you have the same in USA; is an english cosmetic and body care company that had been a pioneer in "no tested on animals" an recycling..
No parties involved , normal shops with nice attendants and good quality stuff.

Karen
10-24-2002, 05:47 PM
We do have the Body Shop here - but I avoid them, too - I'm allergic to almost anything that's perfumed to smell nice. At least I'm not as sensitive as my Mom was and my sister is. She cannot use soap at all, uses glycerine or Lowilla instead, which is more expensive and harder to find, of course!

koxka
10-24-2002, 09:47 PM
What's Lowilla Karen?
I have heard that glycerine can developpe a kind of "skin addiction" and can have problems if you use this constantly and spot using afterward.
Have you got any testing for your allergy,it could be that you are allergyc of one of the componets that used to fix the smell or something like that.
I'm severely allergic to Paraphenildiamina (if I recall it well. )that is used to fix the tint of the colourof the stuff you uses to change the colour of your hair.(don't known the name) in my case to cover my white hairs :rolleyes: . And it's in all the brands & kind tint hair even of those tha call them " all natural".
What about Water's Roses" for you?

Karen
10-24-2002, 10:04 PM
I'm not even sure I'm spelling Lowilla right, but it is an extraordinarily gentle soap. It was the only thing my parents could ever use on my big sister's skin that didn't give her a horrible rash. Mom used Pear's Soap, which is actually glycerine based.

We have all had allergy tests done, and while allergies sometimes change over time, I am still okay using Ivory Soap, as I have since I was little. (When well-meaning people give me scented soaps as a gift, I pass them along to a non-allergic friend!)

But as far as make-up goes, I even was allergic to supposedly hypoallergenic lipstick once. I figured it wasn't worth the pain. I look like what I look like, anyone who would prefer me to like like something else - like wear make-up, can just use their imagination!

Logan
10-24-2002, 10:44 PM
LOL @ Karen!!! You are beautiful just like you are!! And I can say that with some authority because I've seen you in person!!! :) There's a huge part of me that wishes no one wore makeup, so I wouldn't feel compelled to do it either.

Right now, I'm sporting a scratch from Mimi under my left eye (she got me in the middle of the night.......must have moved and startled her, several scratches on my left cheek from Roger Cockatiel, who flew into my face today in a panic, a fever blister by my nose, and I also look like I'm going through puberty right now. Geez!!! It would take putty to cover all my mess!!! And we're having a family picture (yes, the new family) taken on Saturday!!!! Yikes!!! Sure hope those Olan Mills people can doctor up my face!!! :o

Mugsy, I got way off topic here. But I agree with you, that information is grotesque. And to whoever mentioned it, we do have The Body Shop in the US. I know they do no animal testing, and I'm thinking that would mean that they wouldn't use animal by-products in their makeup. But do we know that for sure??

toughCookie
10-24-2002, 10:55 PM
that is sickening... where did you find all this information at? I mean I knew some companies tested on amimals, but I didn't know about that other stuff. aren't more companies not doing animal testing now? do you know which are, and which aren't?
what is arbonne? I have never heard of them before...

wolf_Q
10-25-2002, 02:16 AM
I did a report for school on cosmetic animal testing a while ago. It was not a fun topic to look up info on. :(

I didn't know about the "slurry" though.....that is completely sickening and disgusting.

Miss Meow
10-25-2002, 03:59 AM
A lot of companies test their products on animals. In some countries, it's still the law to conduct the LD50 test (even if the product is only an update of a mascara for instance). LD stands for lethal dose, so they cage a group of small animals (bunnies, guinea pigs, cats, dogs, monkeys etc) and force feed them quantities of the cosmetic until it kills 50% of them.

There's also the Draize test where small animals again have their eyes forced open for days and have chemicals, cosmetics etc poured into their eyes to test irritation. And they are only two of the tests.

This is the Choose Cruelty Free website that details cosmetic companies that don't test on animals. Also states which companies use purely vegan products.

http://www.choosecrueltyfree.org.au/

Animal Liberation has more information on animal testing. Click the tab on cosmetic testing, it's not pretty, but that's what life and death is like for millions of animals a year. All in the name of beauty products that have all been tested before and can be tested safely without animals.

http://www.animalliberation.org.au/home.html

I remember a few years ago a substance called hyaluronic acid was touted as the next big thing in moisturising creams. A lot of the big cosmetic companies picked up on it with huge media campaigns etc. I looked into what hyaluronic acid was: rendered roosters' combs from the tops of their heads. Imagine rubbing that into your face morning and night :confused: :confused: :confused:

toughCookie
10-25-2002, 04:06 AM
that revolts me. I am just sick about it. I knew it existed, animal testing that is, but I had NO idea how horrible the test were, and i thought it was getting to be done less and less. oh those poor sweet animals. you can bet I will read about it and check on products before I buy them from now on. it should be against the law, isnt that animal cruelity? if a person did that outside of a company they would be arrested?:mad:

thanks you so much for opening my eyes to this, and thanks Miss Meow for the links!

ramanth
10-25-2002, 12:11 PM
The thing that ticks me off is that some of this stuff they INJECT into animals. I'm sorry, but I'm not taking a needle and injecting cosmetics into my skin nor am I rubbing it on my eye.

:mad: :mad: :( :(

toughCookie
10-26-2002, 03:07 AM
The thing that ticks me off is that some of this stuff they INJECT into animals. I'm sorry, but I'm not taking a needle and injecting cosmetics into my skin nor am I rubbing it on my eye.

I agree! so, WHY do they do that??:mad: