PDA

View Full Version : The County Fair

Marigold2
08-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Went to the county fair today with daughter and boyfriend. Had the best time. Had to see ALL the animals and pet most. One piggy and I bonded, he just loved having his sweet, soft nose petted.
Billy goats are such loving animals they wanted attention and love.
I was petting the prettiest cow, (poor thing had a snooty nose but so enjoyed being petted) was having such a good time with this sweet creature and then it blew a sneeze very wet and snot was all over me,
my blouse, my hair, my face, my glasses snot, snot, snot. Daughter and boyfriend of course thought it was very funny. I had to find water and napkins, the snot was just everywhere. It was so funny really it was.
Had hubby been there he would have wanted to Lysol me down but for me it was just funny and a bit sticky.
When I am with animals my heart sings, I am totally content and my soul is souring with joy.
Daughter knows they come to me and now her boyfriend has seen it too. Ducks, sheep, cow, horses, pigs, chickens, rabbits they come to me and for some reason I have been blessed with this gift.
My friend Erin is like that with babies, they smile at her all the time, if there is a baby in the room with 100 people it will pick Erin to smile at to seek out to hold it's arms out to her.
It always amazes me when I see this happen for Erin is young but she loves babies, works in a ped's office now. She has found her calling.
After the fair I took the kids out to dinner at this great family resturant and we had a wonderful home cooked meal.
I am happy and content.
Who else loves the fair?

Marigold2
08-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Hello Hello............ Do you have a treat for me??

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Marigold2/TheLorainFair043.jpg

Marigold2
08-26-2010, 10:28 PM
My new friend
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Marigold2/TheLorainFair040.jpg

Marigold2
08-26-2010, 10:31 PM
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Marigold2/TheLorainFair035.jpg

Marigold2
08-26-2010, 10:32 PM
That sweet little piggy nose. This pig had the most intelligent kind eyes.
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Marigold2/TheLorainFair028.jpg

Marigold2
08-26-2010, 10:33 PM
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Marigold2/TheLorainFair027.jpg

Marigold2
08-26-2010, 10:35 PM
The lovely cow with the snooty nose just before the big blow.
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Marigold2/TheLorainFair034.jpg

Marigold2
08-26-2010, 10:36 PM
Hello sweetheart
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Marigold2/TheLorainFair030.jpg

Marigold2
08-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Dance with me, I want to dance with you
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Marigold2/TheLorainFair031.jpg

Marigold2
08-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Shower time. This lady was kind enough to help me clean up after the cow sneeze. Isn't this little guy cute?
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Marigold2/TheLorainFair033.jpg

Marigold2
08-26-2010, 10:43 PM
I came home to this lovely sunflower opened by my front door.
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Marigold2/TheLorainFair020.jpg

Medusa
08-27-2010, 06:46 AM
I'll take the sunflower. You can have the county fair.

phesina
08-27-2010, 06:57 AM
What a lovely day you had!

Bonny
08-27-2010, 07:16 AM
Marigold what a good time you had. You are an animal whisperer. :) That cow looks like a steer. They do blow snot & use to their tongue to clean around their nostrils. I love the goats they are always ready for a good pet & just soak up the attention. The county fair is a big deal in our area. My boys use to show cattle & hogs at the fair. There is a pet show for the town 4-H ers so they are included in the bringing the animals to the fair & dog obedience & agility so it has expanded including town & rural a great thing. :D Love that sunflower the gold finches are eating the seeds out of my sunflowers. They are fatting up for winter. ;)

Catherinedana
08-27-2010, 09:21 AM
I grew up in Brooklyn, NY. I've never been to a country fair! The local churches had street festivals that we called "feasts" celebrating the days of particular saints. There was lots and lots of food, a small midway and goldfish in plastic bags that you could win by tossing a ring around a milk bottle, but no goats!!

I do however, love goats. :D

sirrahbed
08-27-2010, 12:24 PM
I'll take the sunflower. You can have the county fair.

:D I guess I am with Medusa on this one!! Don't really care much for the county fair and would have been with your hubby and the Lysol had I been snotted on:p I am glad you had fun though and have a thing for all animals. As I am from Texas, I have been to many, many county fairs while growing up - thought it was fun as a teenager but mainly to hang out with friends more than the animals. I DO like the 4-H booths with food and crafts:)

pomtzu
08-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Growing up in RI, we never had county or state fairs. The first year we lived here in DE, we took the kids to the state fair - my idea of nothing. Dirty, smelly, crowded, and not a whole lot of fun.

Last year was the first year I have been back to it in almost 40 years, but it was to see the Jeff Dunham show, since he played the fair. Great fun, but couldn't wait to get thru the mobs of people and back to the car when the show was over!

cassiesmom
08-27-2010, 04:55 PM
I was petting the prettiest cow, (poor thing had a snooty nose but so enjoyed being petted) was having such a good time with this sweet creature and then it blew a sneeze very wet and snot was all over me,
my blouse, my hair, my face, my glasses snot, snot, snot. Daughter and boyfriend of course thought it was very funny. I had to find water and napkins, the snot was just everywhere. It was so funny really it was.
Had hubby been there he would have wanted to Lysol me down but for me it was just funny and a bit sticky.

Yikers! What was this cow doing at the fair with a snotty nose? Poor dear!

The DeKalb County Fair is not next weekend but the following weekend. My mom loooooves horses. They have a terrific building (well, two actually) with homemade cakes, pies, cookies, jellies, jams, bread ... flower arrangements, fruits and vegetables from people's gardens ... quilts, needlepointed and embroidered work, hand-made clothing and other items. I can't cook or bake, but I love to see these things. Somewhere there's a thread with pictures I took of the bunnies there last year, they were sooooooo darling! So I'm sure we will go unless the weather is really horrid. We'll have a funnel cake or a lemon shake-up, too - it's about an hour, hour and a half west of Chicago.

And I love, Love, LOVE the Wisconsin State Fair. All of the above only on an even bigger scale, plus cream puffs made completely from scratch, the puff pastry and the whipped cream - yummo! I wait all year for one of those! And they have a food court with selections from some of Milwaukee and Madison's best known restaurants, which is fun because you can have a little of this and that.

Freedom
08-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Oooh what fun!

That sheep really took to you, lol.

I can see piggly wiggly's eye, aw. Pigs are very intelligent! In learning about them . . . I have stopped buying pork for us, lol. It just didn't seem "right" any more.

Now this cow, I think that would have been a bit much even for me! :eek: Very nice of the pony woman to help you clean up.

And a home cooked meal afterwards, then greeted by a big smiley face, what a lovely day! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Asiel
08-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Love animals but a county fair would not be my idea of a great day. Too dusty and too much animal dander and hair, I'd never last more than five minutes. And a bull sneezing snot on me would make me barf for sure.
We went to the zoo a few times when I was a kid, it was exciting enough but I'm not one for zoos today.
Guess I'll settle for my clean pets.

Marigold2
08-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Totally agree with you Cassiesmom.
I love looking at the veggies people grew. The flowers (are they nicer then mine?)
The homemade candies, candles, fudge.
The kids craft projects put together with such hard work and hope.
The quilts, wooden projects made by the farm people so humble and hardworking.
Of course all the animals from the big draft horse to the mini horse, the bunnies to the fat sow with babies.
All the fun food, cotton candy, my favorite candy apples, elephant ears, funnel cakes.
What I find truly disturbing is looking at the cows and pigs and the smell of hotdogs and hamburgers through the air, so strange. I can't eat any meat there, not sure how clean it is either.
Yes there are some real hillbilly people there but they are enjoying a day out with their family just like I am so God bless em.
I don't mind the smell of cow poop or cow snot, I love the smell of hay and horse butts are so cute along with pig noses and billy goat faces and rabbit feet oh I just love them all.
And then I can get dressed up and go uptown and hob nob with the best.
I can step in poop and 5 hours later put on $200.00 dollar shoes and go out. Life is so full of adventure and fun. Why not keep an open mind and explore it all and find joy and laughter in all of it. I do and it is wonderful.
For years I could not go to this fair, it was the last place I saw my mom before her car accident and death.
It took me about 8 years to go back and I am glad I did. I had an elephant ear that year with my mom and my daughter. Alicia was 7. Now every year we have an elephant ear for grandma at that fair.
I feel her with me. I remember how she loved the animals and how they came to her as well. They sensed her incredible love for them.
If you have never gone to a state fair it is a treat. I have been to the Columbus State Fair it is truly an all day event and it is a blast.

pomtzu
08-28-2010, 06:30 AM
I think it's just wonderful that the "hillbilly people" are tolerated at the fair! After all, it's "that type", and the farm people, who originated these fairs, not the uptown hob-nobbers dressed to the 9's, and wearing their $200 shoes. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bonny
08-28-2010, 07:08 AM
That is why we started a 4-H club in town so the town & country kids could get together. The pet show & dog show really work well in that area to bring people together. The way the farm folks dress may not look sanitary but you have to realize they have chores to do at the fair. People have to realize their food just does not come from a grocery store it comes from the farmer. If it wasn't for the farmer you would have to raise your own food or starve. :D

sana
08-28-2010, 07:11 AM
The goats and cow were cute and the sunflower was pretty pretty lovely. Wish we had sunflowers as lovely as this one. we had small but they died away. The extremely burning hot weather made them die. Water didn't help. :(

Bonny
08-28-2010, 07:12 AM
I should also mention the up town hob nobers do buy the livestock at an auction & the farm kids go home with $$$$ in their pockets to bank & when they graduate from high school their is a nest egg their for college. The farm animals are purchased way over market price too. It has gotten better over the years believe me. :D

sana
08-28-2010, 07:12 AM
The horse is sweet

pomtzu
08-28-2010, 07:44 AM
I should also mention the up town hob nobers do buy the livestock at an auction & the farm kids go home with $$$$ in their pockets to bank & when they graduate from high school their is a nest egg their for college. The farm animals are purchased way over market price too. It has gotten better over the years believe me. :D

I do believe that you missed the whole point of my post #22. :eek:

Did you miss these little guys? :rolleyes::rolleyes: ?

Bonny
08-28-2010, 07:59 AM
Pomtzu, I am not sure? This mean :rolleyes: sarcastic? I was just putting in what I truthfully know about county fairs & the towns folk. Been there & did it.:)

I didn't look at Marigolds comment as an insult as you did Pomtzu. I took advantage of it to educate people. You can take a negative & turn it into a postive that is what I have learned to do in life. I learned that in 4-H. :)

As far as people not wanting to attend the fair because of the smell, dust, dirt, filth so be it. It is a free country they can do what they want to.

pomtzu
08-28-2010, 08:15 AM
Pomtzu, I am not sure? This mean :rolleyes: sarcastic? I was just putting in what I truthfully know about county fairs & the towns folk. Been there & did it.:)

I didn't look at Marigolds comment as an insult as you did Pomtzu. I took advantage of it to educate people. You can take a negative & turn it into a postive that is what I have learned to do in life. I learned that in 4-H. :)

As far as people not wanting to attend the fair because of the smell, dust, dirt, filth so be it. It is a free country they can do what they want to.

It was in no way anything against the farmers and "hillbillies" - quite the contrary. Fairs were their game, long before the "others" joined in. I just felt it was a snub of sorts by the OP, since the OP never misses an opportunity to show her self-imagined superiority. I was trying to be somewhat subtle about it, but guess it didn't work that way. But I won't delete my post - that's NOT my style, as is with others.
Besides - I'm on "ignore" with the OP. :p

Bonny
08-28-2010, 10:25 AM
We all have opinions to share. I wasn't knocking anyone. Just bringing out what I know about the county fair & the town folk & farmers.

Freedom
08-28-2010, 11:19 AM
For years I could not go to this fair, it was the last place I saw my mom before her car accident and death.
It took me about 8 years to go back and I am glad I did. I had an elephant ear that year with my mom and my daughter. Alicia was 7. Now every year we have an elephant ear for grandma at that fair.
I feel her with me. I remember how she loved the animals and how they came to her as well. They sensed her incredible love for them.

I think having a fun event (for you, the Fair) as the last place you saw your mom is a very nice memory! And I LOVE you having an elephant's ear for her lol

Asiel
08-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Our county fairs stopped yrs back. People went and looked around but no one bought anything because of the dust and smells. After some yrs county fairs died down over here because not enough people bothered going.
Wonder if Paris Hilton drags around at county fairs...hmmm..wonder if they grow the kind of stuff she would buy...
Our county fairs have been replaced by exhibitions held in exhibition centres where you can see and buy just about anything you could wish for. Artists, woodcarvers from all over, and jams, jellies, pickling of all kinds , fudge and candy. Homemade clothes and quilts of every kind including clothes made from the new hemp fabric. But the all is held in a large dome top building out of the elements and no animals. Clean and out of the elements.

Marigold2
08-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Another intersting thing that happened at the fair was that while I was petting that sweet piggy a little boy came up to me and asked me if I wanted to see his pig, which of course I was so honored to do.
His name was Gordon and I petted his nose, rubbed his ears, his belly, his back and Gordon slept right through the whole thing. LOL The little boy was so cute and so proud of Gordon. He had 4 pigs in all.
There was also I young girl who sat in the stall with her lamb and we talked for a bit.
These young kids really love their animals and take great pride in showing them and have a deep love and respect for them. It is a wonderful life, filled with hard work and great rewards. Mucking out a stall and having a horse nuzzle your neck beats a video game any day.
That is what makes the fair so great, all the personal items from the food people grow to the pie's they bake and the animals they show.

Marigold2
08-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Another intersting thing that happened at the fair was that while I was petting that sweet piggy a little boy came up to me and asked me if I wanted to see his pig, which of course I was so honored to do.
His name was Gordon and I petted his nose, rubbed his ears, his belly, his back and Gordon slept right through the whole thing. LOL The little boy was so cute and so proud of Gordon. He had 4 pigs in all.
There was also I young girl who sat in the stall with her lamb and we talked for a bit.
These young kids really love their animals and take great pride in showing them and have a deep love and respect for them. It is a wonderful life, filled with hard work and great rewards. Mucking out a stall and having a horse nuzzle your neck beats a video game any day.
That is what makes the fair so great, all the personal items from the food people grow to the pie's they bake and the animals they show.
I grew up on a farm and it was so hard, especially in the winter, early morning having to get out of bed when it was cold and dark and feed the animals before school. And then again at night, I remember the horses thumping the ice in their buckets to get to the water.
The steam from their nostrols in the cold morning air and their sweet hello.
The smell of fresh cut hay which to this day is one of my favorite smells of all time.
I also remember those darn horseflys chasing me, bitting the heck of me.
How very very dark it is at night and sometimes lonely.
How far one has to drive for the simplest things.
How there are no cultual events near, no sports events, science events, musuems, festivals.
Also first rate medical care is often far away, airports etc.
yes I loved the country but the convience of the burg or the city is more my style now.

Marigold2
08-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Thank you. It was very hard for me to go back that first time but I know she would want me to go. In fact I am sure she wanted me to go every year and see the animals, she so enjoyed it that last time. I remember how the sheep and goats loved her.
She died in 94 but I miss her so much. Every day I miss my mom.
I was so lucky to have such a kind sweet little mommy. Only 5.1 and about 97 lbs she was as small as she was good and kind. Even with all the bad in her life she would look to the positive.
Funny how some people can go through hell and back and come out kind, smart and sane and some become evil and murder.

I think having a fun event (for you, the Fair) as the last place you saw your mom is a very nice memory! And I LOVE you having an elephant's ear for her lol

Bonny
08-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Marigold what are those elephant ears? Sorry to read about your mom. She was a tiny petite lady like my mom, same as your mom a tiny person with a big :love:. :)

You were a country girl so got to experience life on the good old farm. I was a city girl & ended up out in the country on a farm. The love of horses is the cause of it, along with our boys going to a country school.

sirrahbed
08-29-2010, 12:53 PM
After I was reminded of elephant ears I went googling and found a recipe that sounds so easy!! Elephant Ears (http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf595218.tip.html)

Marigold2
08-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Oh thank you I think I shall try that. My new oven comes tomorrow, am excited.

Freedom
08-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Mucking out a stall and having a horse nuzzle your neck beats a video game any day.

Hear, HEAR!!