PDA

View Full Version : A new Otis.

wayne0214
10-24-2002, 10:51 AM
I don't believe that I told those on Pet Talk about 10 days ago, I had to put Otis, my orange tabby to sleep. He had an advanced case of distemper. From him, the disease had spread to my other kittens, losing Danny kitten and Kitten also in the process.

I did locate, however, another flame-point Siamese. (to replace Snow Cat) 'Had to drive 100 miles (round trip) in order to get him from a shelter. He is not a kitten but a large all-white cat, with blue eyes, brown ears, muzzle and tabby markings on his tail. His name is also "Otis" What a surprise when I brought him home! There was virtually no fighting from the others. He settled in almost immediatey. As soon as I brought him in the house, he was left in the carrier, to sample how the others would accept him. And there were no problems! The only cat he chased was Tiger, because she took a swipe at him, which made him angry at her. But now, he is as one of the gang. Very affectionate, and sleeps on my bed covers every night. I do not know how much he weighs, but it must be in excess of 10 lbs. He also likes to run and play with the others. Again, when I picked him up from his cage at the shelter, he passed all the tests, for being affectionate. I felt as though he was thanking me for bringing him home from a cage that he had been locked up in for at least a month, by licking my hand, the first night I had him.

..........wayne

Randi
10-24-2002, 11:01 AM
Wayne, I'm so happy for both you and your new Otis. Licking your hand was his way of thanking you, I'm sure. He must be so happy to be out of that cage! :D Glad he settled in so nicely with the others. Good luck with him!

What happened to the pic you were going to post? ;) Ask if you need help! :)

lynnestankard
10-24-2002, 11:10 AM
Oh Wayne I'm so pleased - another Otis - yeah!! He sounds a real love monster and obviously needs loads of scritches and cuddles. Hope he continues to settle in and maybe Tiger will think again before she annoys this gorgeous furboy!!

Lynne

Cataholic
10-24-2002, 11:28 AM
Hello to Otis! Look how well he blends in with your household..like it was meant to be, right? Lots of love to Otis, new toys, head scritchies, and kibble, too! :)

wayne0214
10-24-2002, 01:48 PM
Lynne, you are correct, about Otis wanting scritchies. It seems as though I never have enough scritchies and time for him. He is not demanding, he is almost like a gentleman (gentlecat). And as is typical for a new cat, he explores everything in the house. Otis will make a good lap cat, but sometimes, instead of jumping in my lap like Fawn and Tiara does, he has to be coaxed, or simply picked up. Who ever had him before me, must have spent some time in training Otis.

........wayne

tatsxxx11
10-24-2002, 03:17 PM
Welcome to your wonderful new home Gentleman Otis! Wayne, Otis sounds like a real lover and seems to being a good job of fitting right in! I'm so sorry to hear of the passing of Otis. You've been through so much lately. I know that Gentleman Otis will help you greatly in healing your heart.:)

jenluckenbach
10-24-2002, 05:53 PM
Yeah, a new home for Gentleman Otis. Maybe the spirit of the beloved and dearly departed Otis #1 is really inside Otis #2 and that is why he fits in so nicely. I am happy for you both.

wayne0214
10-24-2002, 06:11 PM
I recieved a sympathy card from the vet where I had my orange tabby Otis, put to sleep. He was a fighter, in that the disease had spread through his body to the point where his body temperature was not high enough to make the vets' thermometer work, plus the fact that he was spreading it through the pride, and was the cause of death of Kitten, and Danny cat. He as wasting away and was "skin and bones". And the diarrhea......! I do miss him ,but I have had so many physical- health problems with him, that the vet said that he probably had some other congenital defects also.

So, now Otis the gentleman cat (flame point siamese) will have to fill in where I have lost 3 other furkids all within a month. So far, he is NOT disappointing me.:)

.............wayne

AmberLee
10-24-2002, 07:59 PM
{{{Welcome, sweet Otis}}}

Be very happy in your new forever home. May your namesake guardian-angel cat at the Rainbow Bridge watch over you at your new home. I look forward to your photos and stories about you from your new proud papa.

moosmom
10-26-2002, 08:09 AM
Good for you, Wayne!! I'm so happy for you. And I also commend you for adopting your kitty from a shelter instead of a breeder. There are so many purebreeds that are often dumped at shelters, not to mention the rest of the poor cats. I hope you guys have a long and happy life together. :)