PDA

View Full Version : Bride-to-be arrested for drunk driving hours before wedding

Medusa
08-22-2010, 09:52 PM
A preview of what their married life will be like?

http://www.yahoo.com/_ylt=Ag0AWuhKHA3f9JPgq1XUGcWbvZx4;_ylu=X3oDMTJwMTZ ydTcxBGNwb3MDNgRlZAMxBGcDMDE4NDEzMjEzOGM3MzllMjA3Y TQ1NDgwMzI2ZTFlN2YEaW50bAN1cwRzZWMDaW5fbmV3cwRzbGs DbndzLXRpdGxlBHRlc3QDOTM4/SIG=11r6ls4mn/EXP=1282618074/**http%3A//news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_dui_bride

BELLEVUE, Wash. (AP) — A 31-year-old bride heading home from her bachelorette party was arrested for drunk driving hours before she was to get married.

Washington State Patrol Trooper Christina Martin says the woman was driving over 90 mph Saturday morning and weaving in and out of traffic on Interstate 405 in Bellevue when she was stopped.

Martin says a trooper arrested the woman, processed her and let her take a cab home in time to make it to her early afternoon wedding in Burien.

Martin says the bride's alcohol level was nearly twice the legal state limit. The woman will face charges in King County District Court.

sana
08-22-2010, 10:53 PM
OMG!! She could have drank after the wedding! :eek::confused:

wombat2u2004
08-22-2010, 11:48 PM
So what sort of punishment do you get for that ????

sana
08-22-2010, 11:55 PM
who get punishment, the bride?

wombat2u2004
08-23-2010, 12:00 AM
who get punishment, the bride?

Oh yeah. She will cop it big time for speeding and being over the alcohol limit.
The penalties for that here in Australia are very heavy....not sure about what happens in USA tho.

moosmom
08-23-2010, 05:59 AM
They take DUI's seriously in the US, Wom. Although I've seen some people get arrested more than once. Makes me sick. I LOVE going through DUI spot checks, only to tell the cops, I DON'T DRINK!!!

sana
08-23-2010, 06:12 AM
I still don't get it why this thread is in Dog House.:confused: :D Sorry if you think its rude :)

wombat2u2004
08-23-2010, 09:20 AM
They take DUI's seriously in the US, Wom. Although I've seen some people get arrested more than once. Makes me sick. I LOVE going through DUI spot checks, only to tell the cops, I DON'T DRINK!!!

That's good, they should throw the book at them Donna. Teach them to have more regard for the safety of others on the road.
Hee hee....I'm the same as you, I don't drink (except for two nights ago at my daughters 18th).....they can breath test me all they like...all they'll get is Coca Cola reading :D

wombat2u2004
08-23-2010, 09:23 AM
I still don't get it why this thread is in Dog House.:confused: :D Sorry if you think its rude :)

Well the Doghouse is where all of us riff raff hang out Sana, and discuss stuff not related to pets :D:D

Karen
08-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Sana, this is where anything that could be controversial belongs.

Wombat, it depends on whether this is her first offense or not how stiff the penalty will be. Thank goodness she didn't kill anybody by accident!

sana
08-23-2010, 10:06 AM
I think it should be in general.

Karen
08-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Sana, you are not a moderator. I have been running this board for a long time - since it began, and as moderators are the only ones who can move things, you need to trust me when I leave something where it is. I have my reasons.

wombat2u2004
08-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Wombat, it depends on whether this is her first offense or not how stiff the penalty will be. Thank goodness she didn't kill anybody by accident!

It's age that seems to make a lot of difference here.
If it's a teenager for instance.....they really get hammered.

Karen
08-23-2010, 10:18 AM
It's age that seems to make a lot of difference here.
If it's a teenager for instance.....they really get hammered.

Age will affect how much her insurance rates are going to go up, but not the penalities. It probably varies a bit state to state, but after a certain number of offenses, they can take your driver's license away, you can face jail time, and also have to wait a number of years before you can attempt to get a license again. Before all that, you may end up just paying a fine and having to take a mandatory class - I don't know whether it is driver safety or drug and alcohol related or both.

Teenagers here are not legally allowed to drink, so there's a reason they get slammed - they've started out drinking illegally, then driving drunk illegally.

Cataholic
08-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Teenagers here are not legally allowed to drink, so there's a reason they get slammed - they've started out drinking illegally, then driving drunk illegally.

This is not true, at least in Ohio. Anyone under the age of 21 is prohibited from purchasing alcohol, however, people under 21 can drink. They simply need, at least in Ohio, to be in the presence of their legal guardian (usually their parent, could be a spouse). Now, if I provided alcohol to my underaged child, and he then left my house/property/presence and went out in public, there could be an argument made for some sort of charge. And, I am prohibited from providing alcohol to anyone else's child.

I think the reason our OVI problems are so severe is that we seek to prohibit responsible alcohol consumption. Like some other areas we seek to prohibit here in the US.

Karen
08-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Oh, sorry, I forget to mention that. You are right, teens can drink legally, but lots of them are not "in the presence of a responsible adult," they get their booze some other way - often illegally. Fake ID's, etc., abound. But you are right, and I have seen cases in the news where the parent who provided alcohol to the teens was charged in addition to the teen who was DUI.

Cataholic
08-23-2010, 11:26 AM
I have seen a few people refer to this as a DUI charge. Does your state still call it a DUI, or has it been changed to OVI? Not just a technicality, either. DUI = driving under the influence, and the person must be, literally driving (keys in ignition, motor on, moving). OVI, on the other hand, means operating a motor vehicle, and the word operating is much broader a term, to include behind the wheel, parked, keys or not, in the ignition.

Just curious.

Marigold2
08-23-2010, 06:22 PM
I think a fitting punishment would be for her to sit in jail for 6 months and miss the wedding. All the plans would be ruined because of her and perhaps the groom would have second thoughts as well.
It would be a lesson she would never forget nor would any one who knows the bride or was invited to the wedding.

caseysmom
08-23-2010, 06:40 PM
This is not true, at least in Ohio. Anyone under the age of 21 is prohibited from purchasing alcohol, however, people under 21 can drink. They simply need, at least in Ohio, to be in the presence of their legal guardian (usually their parent, could be a spouse). Now, if I provided alcohol to my underaged child, and he then left my house/property/presence and went out in public, there could be an argument made for some sort of charge. And, I am prohibited from providing alcohol to anyone else's child.

I think the reason our OVI problems are so severe is that we seek to prohibit responsible alcohol consumption. Like some other areas we seek to prohibit here in the US.

I don't believe this is true in California, I think the adult would be charged with contributing to the delinquincy of a minor whether the child stays home or not.

Cataholic
08-23-2010, 07:36 PM
I don't believe this is true in California, I think the adult would be charged with contributing to the delinquincy of a minor whether the child stays home or not.

Maybe, maybe not. I think many people assume something like this, and with our societal issues re alcohol, don't think about it too much. It would be interesting to see how much this varies state to state.

caseysmom
08-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Yeah I don't know really I just assumed that.

Asiel
08-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Out here she would lose her licence for at least a year and pay a heavy fine, would have to appear in court also.

Were we just wondering what age is too young to be married...? Well, this gal is 31, old enough to get married but I have to wonder if age really counts when I read something like this. I just would not want to be in her shoes right now...

wombat2u2004
08-23-2010, 08:23 PM

The age is 18 here, when they take on their own legal responsibility.
So parents are no longer the issue.
One of the problems is that drivers licences can be issued as soon as they turn 17.....a year later they are allowed to drink legally.

sana
08-23-2010, 09:33 PM
One of the problems is that drivers licences can be issued as soon as they turn 17.....a year later they are allowed to drink legally.

I think in Pakistan driver's license can be made at the age of 18 because at that the age of 18 your identity card is made and you need on eto have a driver's license.;)

Karen
08-24-2010, 02:24 PM

Driver's licenses here I think still vary from state to state, I know in Massachusetts you can get one at age 16 1/2, as long as you have taken a driver's education class, otherwise you have to wait until you turn 17. I think some states it's younger. My niece Emily will turn 16 in September, and I know she's already thinking about getting her Learner's Permit.

But even back when I was in high school, I knew kids who were already heavy drinkers at 15, and a bunch of classmates got kicked out of the musical that year because they were noticeably drunk and drinking more in the bathroom before the show ... so adding a Driver's License is only gonna exacerbate it!

Yup, Johanna, we still call it DUI here, but we also don't have a DMV - we have the Registry of Motor Vehicles, so when a tv character in a show set in Boston says they're going to the DMV, or even the RMV, you know someone didn't do enough research. Around here, we say "going to the Registry."

lbaker
08-31-2010, 01:05 PM
In MD we have DMV but in DC it's MVA (motor vehicle admin) a stink-week by any other name... Mostly when it comes to having to deal with them in person for even mundane things :rolleyes:

wombat2u2004
09-01-2010, 06:55 AM
This guy really copped it for drink driving here in NSW Australia.

Driver banned till he's 104
BY VERONICA APAP
17 Jan, 2008 06:55 AM
A man banned from driving for at least the next 40 years was sent to jail yesterday after reoffending yet again.
It was the second time this week a Wollongong Local Court magistrate has jailed a long-term disqualified driver.

Yesterday Michael Anthony Sheather was ordered to serve 16 months behind bars after being caught driving on January 10 despite previously being disqualified from driving until 2050.

The 60-year-old man from Eagle Vale, near Campbelltown, will now not be eligible for a licence until he is 104 years old.

On Tuesday, Ronald James Rudd, 64, was jailed for 12 months for driving when he had been disqualified until 2075.

The court heard yesterday that Sheather had been released from prison for a similar offence in August and still had one month of his parole to serve when he was pulled over at Bellambi.

Police had been conducting random breath testing in Bellambi Lane when they stopped Sheather, who was driving a purple Ford Falcon.

He told police he did not have his driver's licence with him and drove off when police returned to their car to make inquiries over the radio.

Police caught up with Sheather in Molloy St, Bulli, where he was arrested.

The court heard Sheather knew he would never drive again and promised not to get behind the wheel again.

Magistrate Ian Guy said Sheather's crime was aggravated by the fact that he was on parole for similar offences at the time.

He said Sheather had been convicted of driving offences at least 12 times over an extended period.

"He has been disqualified (from driving) on many occasions because of drink-driving," he said.

"It's a shame the defendant fails to have any insight into the whole purpose of the legislation.

"It's to punish someone by removing their right to drive if they offend the law by drink-driving and that's what he has done on many occasions."

Sheather will be eligible for parole in January 2009.

CatsMeow
09-01-2010, 07:14 AM
Ugh. I don't drink. If they tested me i would show positive for diet coke, though. :D

lizbud
09-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Sheather was driving a purple Ford Falcon.

This is reason enough to arrest the guy.:D What was he thinking? :rolleyes:

wombat2u2004
09-01-2010, 06:23 PM
This is reason enough to arrest the guy.:D What was he thinking? :rolleyes:

Hee hee.....bit of a cop magnet eh ??? :confused: