PDA

View Full Version : getting the guts to call in sick...

Catty1
08-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Last Sunday, I started two late nights in a row, just because of circumstances, and willingly worked the two shifts daily at the cat boarding kennel where normally I work every Wednesday morning. On Wednesday and Thursday I was getting really worn out and having mini-meltdowns - not just unexpected schedule, but that the kennel owners who are also friends were dealing with the loss of their retirement home.

They were supposed to be retired two years ago...the house construction faced one delay after another, and last Sunday it burnt to the ground. So the two of them were on edge, daughters and a neighbour filling in at the kennel - kind of flying by the pants work, though we knew what we were doing. Most of the time!

Then yesterday, Saturday, a 6 hour computer job. Went back today for another two hours and was running late for two appointments back home here - I was 1/2 hr away. I actually had a meltdown at the job, as I hadn't had a moment for me, to chill, to let my brain relax so I could find a solution to the problem.

TOMORROW morning I start working 3 hours every morning - 9:30 - 12:30 - and I feel I so badly need even half a day to catch up on laundry (still haven't completely put away the batch from last Sunday, and I have another load to wash by now).

I just don't know how I am going to be at the office tomorrow. I might be ok. I might not. It won't be really difficult work.

Just venting here, really. I need a day. Just one day. :(

wombat2u2004
08-22-2010, 11:45 PM
You're overdoing it mate.
Any chance that the office will understand if you take some time out ???
You know, it's hard to function correctly when you are tired.

krazyaboutkatz
08-23-2010, 12:36 AM
I don't know how any one can work 7 days a week. I know that I wouldn't be able to do this. If I did, my home would look horrible because I'd have no time to clean and I can't afford to have a maid. I typically only work Mon.-Fri. which is usally 40 hours a week. Sometimes I do have to work overtime or sometimes I don't work a full 40 hour week.

Usually in Dec. we do have to work 1 or 2 Saturdays so then I only have one day off. As I've gotten older I need more sleep and I've found that working more than 8 hours a day is much more tiring than it used to be. You do need some time off for yourself and hopefully if you do need to call in sick, your employer will understand. Try to relax and destress. I know it's easier said than done. Take care.

Catty1
08-23-2010, 09:46 AM
I called her last night and said I do need a day off and what would be the best day to call in sick?

They do need me today as they have a last-minute funeral to attend (aren't they all? ;) ), but I can take tomorrow off.

WHEW!

Thanks, folks. Now I know why my doc and I decided to taper off some meds (to see how much of my trouble was sleep apnea and how much is the other) when I WASN'T working full time. Originally I was just doing 3 hrs a day at the office, and then this fire happened at the kennel.

Thank you, all. I'll be ok.

wombat2u2004
08-23-2010, 09:59 AM
I called her last night and said I do need a day off and what would be the best day to call in sick?

They do need me today as they have a last-minute funeral to attend (aren't they all? ;) ), but I can take tomorrow off.

WHEW!

Thanks, folks. Now I know why my doc and I decided to taper off some meds (to see how much of my trouble was sleep apnea and how much is the other) when I WASN'T working full time. Originally I was just doing 3 hrs a day at the office, and then this fire happened at the kennel.

Thank you, all. I'll be ok.

How's the apnea machine going ??? Are you used to it yet ???
Just last week they gave me a new hose for mine...a HEATED ONE !!!!!
It's fantastic. ;)

Freedom
08-23-2010, 10:59 AM
I was also goin to say you are doing too much, slow down!

So you get a day off. Do NOT spend the whole day on "catch up." DO spend some of the day relaxing, letting the kitties rest on top of you!

Cataholic
08-23-2010, 11:32 AM
I think this all depends on your financial strenght at the time and the repercussions of a call in. If I am sick, yet need the income, I would show up for work. If I am sick, and have a project that must get done, or was to cover for someone else, I would show up. If I thought I might lose my job (especially in these times), I would show up.

There has been times I have worked two weeks straight, without a break. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

;)

jennielynn1970
08-23-2010, 12:23 PM
My boyfriend works his normal job from 11pm to 7am, and then works another 6 to 8 hrs up at the resort restoring cabins. He is absolutely exhausted mentally and physically. I don't know how he's doing it. Some days we have 20 minutes together to eat, and then he goes to sleep for his full time job at night. It's straining on both of us, but he's just so behind financially (bills and then child support), he almost has to do the both jobs. :(

I'll be happy when the season is over and he will come back here for the winter, but until then it's work, work, work, and me home alone. Also not fun.

I hope you find that you can financially take a break, Candace. You need time for yourself, otherwise, you will have a meltdown, and they are never fun nor pretty! :eek:

Catty1
08-23-2010, 01:02 PM
I have had several meltdowns in the last week, Jenn, up to 3 a day. I melted down at a computer client's late yesterday afternoon because I had no fumes left on which to run.

Financially? I am on a partial gov't income which disappears if i earn too much. I admit to doing my computer work under the table when possible. I have three extra weeks work this month - the kennel one totally unexpected.

My doc and I are tweaking things to see if I do qualify for the full gov't income - if I can go back to working full time. My experience of the last 11 years shows not. The full gov't dole still allows me to work and earn $400 - $600 a month.

I've always needed the money. lol For as long as I can remember.

I am writing this from the office. My other boss says they haven't had a break in two weeks either. I hate to say this, but they have each other. Does that make a difference?

Thanks again.

jennielynn1970
08-23-2010, 01:21 PM
I was just thinking about the way we do sick call ins where I work. They make it WAY too easy at this point for calling in sick.

We log in on the computer, put down that we need a sub, and then go back to sleep. Wayyyyyyy too easy for me to call in sick, run out of sick days, and then still call in sick and not get paid. Not good.