PDA

View Full Version : A 'good neighbor' thread rant.

RICHARD
08-21-2010, 02:02 PM
This happened last night and I would like to ask What Would Pet Talk Do?

Last night I went out to my compost heap and was walking back when I heard a BOOM and glass breaking and a car alarm go off.

I knew what it was, a windshield shattering.

I walked up the driveway to see what had happened and heard the people next door come out. But, I made it to the edge of the shadow and thought that maybe I should not go out there in case they think it was me.

Wait, let me set this up.

The neighbors park on the street in front of the house. I don't care if they do-I do hate it because they slam their car doors so hard the house shakes, when they are late they will climb into the car and beep the horn to rally the stragglers, and when the woman comes home she yells at the dogs LOUDLY....But, otherwise, they do not bug me.

--------

I walked back and into the house via the back door and went to look out the front door, I heard someone say, "They broke my window!"

Well, I heard them talking and then move the car into their yard.

That was that and I went to sleep later on.

This morning I went to look at the front of the house and saw a huge pile of glass and another car parked in front of it.

So, here is my question.

Would you clean up the mess in front of a neighbor's house if it happened to you?

moosmom
08-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Yes, I would clean it up. It's the neighborly thing to do.;)

mrspunkysmom
08-21-2010, 02:35 PM
same here

and take pictures for evidence

chocolatepuppy
08-21-2010, 02:56 PM
I would probably clean it up.

pomtzu
08-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Hmmm - tough one. But since I'm not friendly with them, I'd have to be a biach and say "no". If they can take the time to move the car into the yard, then at least they can take a couple of minutes to sweep up the glass, so that someone doesn't get hurt, or a tire flattened.

If I had a friendly relationship with them, then yes, I would clean it up.

sirrahbed
08-21-2010, 04:33 PM
I would sweep it up. It might get in my tires, plus I am a neat freak - but a neighborly one:p

Medusa
08-21-2010, 05:45 PM
I'd knock on the door and say "Are you gonna clean that up? It's dangerous, y'know". Either way, I'd leave it.

RICHARD
08-21-2010, 06:37 PM
I'd knock on the door and say "Are you gonna clean that up? It's dangerous, y'know". Either way, I'd leave it.

I reread my story and didn't really say that it's in front of MY house.:rolleyes::eek:

sorry.

Karen
08-21-2010, 06:44 PM
If it's my car, I'd sweep it up, no matter whose house it was in front of. However, if it wasn't my car, but I saw the broken glass on the street, I'd sweep it up - there are kids and pets in the neighborhood, it's not safe!

pomtzu
08-21-2010, 06:49 PM
I reread my story and didn't really say that it's in front of MY house.:rolleyes::eek:

sorry.

Then that's even more reason to tell them to clean it up! :mad:

wombat2u2004
08-21-2010, 06:52 PM
Yeah, I'd just sweep it up into a bag and throw it into the trash can as if nothing happened.

Cataholic
08-21-2010, 06:52 PM
Same as Karen. Heck, I pick up poop that doesn't come from my dog for fear my neighbors might think it is his!

Asiel
08-21-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm not a bad neighbour but I wouldn't sweep it up simply because I'm not able to and the fact that there's no friendly relationship between us. I didn't realize it was in front of my house in which case I would probably go over and politely ask them to pick it up in case a dog or child stepped on it or even myself.

Medusa
08-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Then that's even more reason to tell them to clean it up! :mad:

Ditto.

lizbud
08-21-2010, 07:13 PM
I swept up some trash that was around my neighbor's trash can yesterday.
This was only after seeing it there since last last trash pickup.:rolleyes: They
are brand new neighbors & I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they
are still busy & didn't notice it. ??

It bugged me enough that I thought, what the heck. Clean it up.

In your case Richard, I wouldn't really rush to clean up the glass. Do you
think these people are still upset that someone broke their windshield?

RICHARD
08-21-2010, 07:54 PM
In your case Richard, I wouldn't really rush to clean up the glass. Do you
think these people are still upset that someone broke their windshield?

Actually,

I am going to sweep it up, tomorrow morning when there is not car there. I will do it early. It's kinda scattered more towards my driveway and my brother sometimes parks there, HE will say something about it, he'll yell at me.

I don't mind.

This does remind me of a story about working with my OTHER brother. The JerkWad.

We poured a concrete slab for a porch on a job we were hired to do..

We got a concrete trailer an rinsed the kettle out in the street. We were going to be there for at least a week, so I didn't pay too much attention to the concrete that spilled in the gutter, I'd clean it up before we left.

The second day the neighbor walked over to ask us if we could clean up the 'concrete powder' in front of his driveway. The water we used to rinse the kettle had dribbled down the street, dried and left a dusty residue in the gutter. He told us he washed his car and didn't want to get his rims dirty.

I kinda knew that was half the reason and said, "o.k. give me a second..."

I walked over and grabbed a shovel and a broom and told my brother I was going to clean up the mess.

My brother began to yell and scream at me, "what are doing? why are you doing it? I don't care, I don't live here..."

I went and cleaned it up anyways, I like to do a good job and remined myself no to be lazy because I should have done it after the first day.

Anyways,

I thought of that day and thought that these people would be ticked off but at least they could have swept it into a pile because whoever visits them-two cars during the day today and I can see that they have no problem to just run it over and spreading it out some more.

IT's really no big deal to me. I was wondering what everyone would have done.

Idle curiosity.

Thanks.

kitten645
08-21-2010, 08:34 PM
I think I would sweep it up, put it in a brown bag and deliver it to their front door. You wouldn't want to throw away "evidence" ;) (high sarcasm here) I think that people just DON"T...THINK that is. At least maybe they'd get a hint that's what THEY should have done.
Claudia

wombat2u2004
08-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Here in Australia, Richard, if building material like concrete residue falls onto the street, then it has to be cleaned up straight away. Otherwise whoever made the mess will be fined.....and I'm talking about a FINE !!!! Not twenty bucks....more like a thousand bucks or more.
They're nuts over here about the environment.