PDA

View Full Version : Have you tried "Purr Pads"?

tuxluvr
10-24-2002, 09:55 AM
Ok, I succumbed again! I've looked at these several times and always put them back on the shelf....but yesterday, there was a 2 for one at Petsmart....came to about 2 dollars apiece, so I thought "why not?" I saw another thread started by Sara-Luvs-Tinky...

Now, I know what you are thinking, Ritz will ignore this like all other "great idea" cat toys....the sheepskin things have never worked (I remember someone saying their cat used it as a litter box)...well, it wasn't that bad, but suffice it to say that there is something about the sheepskin that is a Ritz repellant.

However, back to the purr pads...at first she gave me this look, like "yeah, right mom"....but I have one downstairs that I put on her favorite sleeping spot, the love seat, and another in the office window....she LOVES these things!

Now, go figure, a soft plushy sheepskin seems a likeable thing..but these things are so WIERD...they remind me of the same material inside furnace filters, or those buffer pads on floor cleaning equipment...scratchy to the touch. But I'm looking at Ritz right now curled up asleep on her new Purr Pad. A HIT, FOR ONCE MOMMY DIDN'T WASTE A TRIP! Now I'm thinking I need to get back and find more at that price and put them in her favorite sleeping spots around the house to keep the fur deposits on the purrpads.

Anyone else have luck with these?

Cataholic
10-24-2002, 10:08 AM
Tuxluvr- can you be more specific with your purchase? I don't know what they are?? But, if Ms. Ritz likes it, well...maybe the herd will go for it...what the heck- more cat stuff!:D

Cinder & Smoke
10-24-2002, 10:21 AM
Purr Pads at Petsmart...

Purr Pads page @ Petsmart (http://www.petsmart.com/cat/shopping/beds/products/product%5F15698.shtml)

tuxluvr
10-24-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Tuxluvr- can you be more specific with your purchase? I don't know what they are?? But, if Ms. Ritz likes it, well...maybe the herd will go for it...what the heck- more cat stuff!:D

Well, they are just called PURR PADDS (the trademark)....they look like pads of white fiberglass....(I know that can't be what they are)...I've seen them now in just about any Petco or Petsmart store...SEE IF this link works

http://www.petsmart.com/cat/shopping/beds/products/product%5F15698.shtml

Glacier
10-24-2002, 10:26 AM
We have a couple purr pads. The cats rarely used them until I put them inside their kitty tents. Now they use them all the time. The kitty tents and the purr pads get much more use now. One of my dogs likes to steal them though. Sleet uses them as a pillow!:D

tuxluvr
10-24-2002, 10:27 AM
...also, I happened to catch them on sale, so instead of the 8.99 for two it was about 4.50 for two....might have been a fluke in the store I was in - it looked like they were a little overstocked and were trying to move them.

NoahsMommy
10-24-2002, 11:16 AM
I bet Noel and Basil would love those...off to PetSmart I go!! :)

Edwina's Secretary
10-24-2002, 11:21 AM
I bought Edwina a nest (bowl...not sure of the best descriptor) made out of this material. It makes a great toy basket!!!!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jenluckenbach
10-24-2002, 05:47 PM
My cats like the Purr pad. It is what you might have seen on the grey chair in my photos.. But then again they MUCH rather have the sheepskins~~

tuxluvr
10-24-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
I bought Edwina a nest (bowl...not sure of the best descriptor) made out of this material. It makes a great toy basket!!!!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

doesn't it just figure? A long time ago I bought Ritz one of those carpeted lairs with the hole in it so she could go inside...once she finally mustered any interest in the thing, she was too big to fit inside it :) Now it serves as a huge scratching post, andhas seen so much action it looks kind of like a sawed off "Cousin Itt" from the Addams Family...big long strings of frayed carpet everywhere!...oh, and it also doubles as her "toybox" :):rolleyes:

krazyaboutkatz
10-24-2002, 11:38 PM
I bought two purr pads a long time ago and Storm is the only one who uses them. I had to throw out one of them because it was falling apart. My cats would rather sit in cardboard boxes. I tried buying them some fancy beds one time and they hated them. It seems that the more simplistic something is the more my cats like it. :)

tuxluvr
10-25-2002, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by krazyaboutkatz
I bought two purr pads a long time ago and Storm is the only one who uses them. I had to throw out one of them because it was falling apart. My cats would rather sit in cardboard boxes. I tried buying them some fancy beds one time and they hated them. It seems that the more simplistic something is the more my cats like it. :)

I know what you mean - Ritz is still pretty partial to an old towel warmed in the dryer :)

Somehow I missed the "disposable" wording - no doubt these will wear out too...ahh well, for now, she likes them...perhaps we can coerce Santa into bringing more for Ritzy's stocking

Sara luvs her Tinky
02-26-2003, 12:03 PM
Yeah I bought Tinky some Purr Pads a long time ago... before Jupiter and she really didn't care to sleep on them she would just play under them...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid19/p18c02422afcd7c07fc1188f67a7a4aef/fdc352f0.jpg
or well sleep under it... which was better than nothing I guess...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/p23e481d4db4f830544089915645747b4/fd6d9e7e.jpg

Since I only had one cat at the time I gave the other one to the guy I worked with and he said he couldn't get his cat off of it.

But now I have my sweet boy Jupiter who sits on it all the time. I have it by the sliding glass door.. and the sun comes up in the morning and shines through that door and he just sleeps in kitty heaven.

I am glad Ritzy and the others are enjoying their Purr Pads.... what good meowmies to think of their babies... and thier nap time needs...;)

02-26-2003, 01:14 PM
I wonder if these pads exist here too . They make me think of the padding inside furnace filters :confused: :confused: ...!

Nomilynn
02-26-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by lut
I wonder if these pads exist here too . They make me think of the padding inside furnace filters :confused: :confused: ...!

Lut that's exactly how I described it to the people at Petcetera when I went and asked about them!! :D But they aren't a regular item up here.. I don't know if it's a Canada thing or just this particular location. But I know my mom can get them in Oregon for me, if I wanted some. :)

All Creatures Great And Small
02-26-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Sara luvs her Tinky

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid19/p18c02422afcd7c07fc1188f67a7a4aef/fdc352f0.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/p23e481d4db4f830544089915645747b4/fd6d9e7e.jpg
Top - kitty burrito; Bottom - kitty sandwich!:D :D

tuxluvr
02-26-2003, 01:59 PM
The upstairs purrpad is for when Ritz is on official "office cat" duties
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid52/p3090eae1a5f8e7738d3b69b5e72f8530/fc94ba21.jpg

The downstairs purrpad, like Tinky so well demonstrated, is for "playing under" :) This one is Ritz playing "stealth kitty"--I think she thinks she is invisible when she under here,,, waits and attacks when you walk by.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid52/p3193d16305c79482100744eff24b6fca/fc94b4eb.jpg Occasionally, we see this purrpad "moving across the floor" seemingly under its own power....but then there's that give-away tail! T

And lut, they DO feel and look like furnace filters! I can't imagine how they would feel good to anything...but Ritz does like these. :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-26-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Sara luvs her Tinky

Awww....that Tinky is such a cutie pie! You know Sara, we just don't see enough pictures of her and Jupiter anymore. ;)

And Ritzy and her "moving" purr pad is just too funny! I can just see this white thing "floating" across the floor - with a black tail stuck out behind it. :D :D

When I bought the "carpet condoms" for T & P I debated on those or the purr pads. Terry was along and couldn't imagine how they could like laying on a furnace filter either, so we ended up with the "carpet condoms."

I'm so glad Ritzy likes them. She looks so official as Office Cat. :D

And Lut, they are kind of like a Brillo pad if you know what those are, or a scouring pad for cleaning pots and pans - and they are a little softer than a scouring pad, but not much. :rolleyes: :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
02-26-2003, 06:00 PM
originally posted by Tux Luvr
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid52/p3193d16305c79482100744eff24b6fca/fc94b4eb.jpg

HA!! HA!! HA!! HA!!

http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/kao/chika/chirol_maiku.gif MEMORIES

I am so glad to see that Miss. Ritzy is having so much fun with her Purr Pads. She is just to pretty... maybe tinky could come over and they could play "stealth kitty " together ;)

Sara luvs her Tinky
02-26-2003, 06:06 PM
Awww....that Tinky is such a cutie pie! You know Sara, we just don't see enough pictures of her and Jupiter anymore.

I know...:(
Maybe with our tax returns Eric will let me get a digital camera.... ;)
it costs so much to have them developed onto a cd....:(

RICHARD
02-26-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by tuxluvr
...also, I happened to catch them on sale, so instead of the 8.99 for two it was about 4.50 for two....

WOW.....that's a bargain i paid 125.00 for a NORTHFACE down
parka that belongs..................................

................................to the cat. maybe i could get enough of these
together my sis in law could make me a jacket....

catland
02-26-2003, 07:04 PM
LOL - too funny.

I bought them once - my cats thought they were stupid and I ended up using them to stuff a pillow:p

(the purr-pads - not the cats:eek: )

wolflady
02-26-2003, 07:30 PM
LOL These pics are great!! I may just have to try these purr pads!! It's an excuse for me to go to the pet supply store anyway... :rolleyes: ;)

catmandu
02-27-2003, 09:54 AM
I have the Purrpads at the lost cats hotel , but what they rally like are the old blankets and towels that I buy at yard sales . they have two plush cat beds that I got at a cat show and those are the favorites, they really like the big Cedar dog pillow that i got at a pet food store closeout!

Jasonscatmom
02-28-2003, 04:14 AM
I have over 20 cats in my house right now and I bet at least a few would like them, but I would like to put them in their not so favorite sleeping places because the places they sleep in my house drives my husband crazy. You can't open a closet or cabinet with out a sleeping cat falling out and please.. never never turn on the dryer without looking or play the piano without checking inside first and it gets worse when they get into the baby's room and curl up in the crib, exhausted from mangling the animal mobile. Then there's the fur covering my underwear from one of the little furballs who love's to sleep in the drawers and then drag my underwear around the house. One of the kittens like's to sleep curled up on my husbands face when he is asleep but since it muffles his snores and he never knows the kitten is there she can stay.
These are just a few of their favorite places, do you think these Purr Pads would help me?

tuxluvr
02-28-2003, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by RICHARD

WOW.....that's a bargain i paid 125.00 for a NORTHFACE down
parka that belongs..................................

................................to the cat. maybe i could get enough of these
together my sis in law could make me a jacket....

Laughing!!! As Wolflady's signature says "In a cat's eyes, all things belong to cats".....I'm trying to picture a coat made out of that stuff :)

Barbara
02-28-2003, 05:10 AM
Lut: it sounds as if it would be good insulation for the cat hotel.

Richard: Eddie's got an expensive taste. But why do you californians need down jackets?

tuxluvr
02-28-2003, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by Barbara
Lut: it sounds as if it would be good insulation for the cat hotel.

Richard: Eddie's got an expensive taste. But why do you californians need down jackets?

Having visited a number of spots in California, I can attest to the need for a down jacket in some places! San Fran can get downright chilly at times

Barbara
03-01-2003, 02:48 PM
I have seen fresh snow at Mono Lake in June -but L.A.:confused: :confused:

NoahsMommy
03-01-2003, 10:00 PM
Cute pictures!! :)

The cats got two Purr Pads for Christmas and they LOVE them. The cats didn't like a cat bed/house we got them, so in went a Purr Pad and it became a new hideout/nap area for Basil and Noel. I gave Olivia one in her closet when she first got there and now Noah and Noel spend their days in there sleeping when we're at work. They LOVE those things. :)