PDA

View Full Version : My stove/oven is broke

Marigold2
08-19-2010, 09:07 AM
So at first I panicked. How will I cook? The washing machine was first, then the dishwasher and now the stove all within 5 months.
I have learned that NOT having a stove is not so bad.
I can grill, nuke and crockpot.
I have a LOT less dishes.
It's every man/women for themselves now.
I usually stop off at Subway and have a foot long veggie with cilpoltie (sic) sauce and I am done for the night. Or I have a big salad with veggies from my garden.
Today I will make a roast in the crockpot with veggies.
There are things I do miss. Hubby is missing my baking so soon he will have to buy me a new one.
After all I spent my money on the Radiesse to get the wrinkles out.
After all what is more important me looking good or him having cake?
I am taking the French womens tude and putting my best face foward.

aTailOf2Kitties
08-19-2010, 09:18 AM
I can't remember when the last time I used the oven was :confused: There are only 2 of us so I can usually get by with the toaster oven and microwave....they're way easier to clean anyway, LOL

lvpets2002
08-19-2010, 10:51 AM
:) Same here.. I have not used my oven since when.. Grillen & Nuken for me or most of my suppers are take home from eating out since there is only me the (adult).. My Cats have not started cooking yet.. Give them time..:D

I can't remember when the last time I used the oven was :confused: There are only 2 of us so I can usually get by with the toaster oven and microwave....they're way easier to clean anyway, LOL

Bonny
08-19-2010, 11:22 AM
It was been so HOT & HUMID here that bacon, lettece, & tomato sandwiches is all we eat. :D Have to use the stove burners though to fry the bacon.

lvpets2002
08-19-2010, 12:04 PM
:) Hey I have Nuked Bacon before & its not that bad.. Have you tried that Bonny?? I will aggree for sure of the HEAT..

It was been so HOT & HUMID here that bacon, lettece, & tomato sandwiches is all we eat. :D Have to use the stove burners though to fry the bacon.

RICHARD
08-19-2010, 01:38 PM
I fire up the crock pot at around 9 p.m. and wake up to some awfully good smells wafting thru the house.

I also have a little grill that I use out on the patio.:) It's amazing what you an cook out there....

Hope you get your stove fixed soon!

Bonny
08-19-2010, 02:43 PM
:) Hey I have Nuked Bacon before & its not that bad.. Have you tried that Bonny?? I will aggree for sure of the HEAT..

I have Nuked Bacon but it just doesn't get as crispy. I even use to have a special tray for bacon in the Nuker. Hubby usually fries the bacon while I pick, clean, cut the tomatos & get the lettce ready & toast. Now I am getting hungry for a sandwich. :)

lvpets2002
08-19-2010, 02:53 PM
:) Yup me too.. Lets go add this to the Cyber Thursday Menu.. It will go good with our Eggnogg French Toast..:D

I have Nuked Bacon but it just doesn't get as crispy. I even use to have a special tray for bacon in the Nuker. Hubby usually fries the bacon while I pick, clean, cut the tomatos & get the lettce ready & toast. Now I am getting hungry for a sandwich. :)

Laura's Babies
08-19-2010, 04:09 PM
OK, you get NO FREE PASS because your oven is broken! You CAN bake cakes in the microwave! Cornbread can be baked on top of the stove, lower the heat, cover and cook. You can bake cakes on top of the stove too but I love them cooked in the microwave. I have baked biscuits on top of the stove also..

Still needed those things when my oven went out on the boat and growing up, we never had a oven so I already knew how to bake on top of the stove..
Roasts can be cooked on top of the stove, I make glazed chicken on the stove all the time, prefer that over baked chicken. (I don't like heating up the house using the big oven)

(LOL! Of coarse it can cripple your cooking when the oven goes out if you don't know what you are doing.... don't know why I had to admit I could do all that instead of just setting out the cereal for breakfast when mine went out on the boat. :rolleyes:)

Marigold2
08-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Nope I am hanging on the the free pass because the whole thing is broke. Oven and stove top. Just called hubby and he is bringing home something for dinner. Been cleaning today so I just want to relax tonight, he is feeling like pizza, sounds great I will make the salad.

Medusa
08-19-2010, 05:44 PM

I nuke the bacon. It's faster and way less grease.

Medusa
08-19-2010, 05:44 PM
After all what is more important me looking good or him having cake?
I am taking the French womens tude and putting my best face foward.

I like your style, Monica. ;)

Asiel
08-20-2010, 09:49 AM
I think hubby prefers to look at my wrinkles (which in his eyes are non existant) and have something to eat on the table. I would never skint on his favourite meals, he does so much for us all.
As for the French women I think I'll pass on them as they choose to douse themselves in perfume rather than bathe...ugh..

pomtzu
08-20-2010, 10:06 AM
I can do without my oven in the summer, since I hate to put a lot of extra heat in the house, but I can't imagine being without the top burners. I would be getting a new range real quick if mine went out. Microwaves are fine for frozen dinners which I eat occasionally, and reheating already cooked foods, but not much else - IMO. :p

Cataholic
08-20-2010, 10:33 AM
I realize that ovens must produce SOME heat in the summer time and contribute to an influx of warmer air when one is running the A/C, but don't your ovens have insulation around them? I can't say I have ever noticed the 'problem'..LOL.

pomtzu
08-20-2010, 10:51 AM
I realize that ovens must produce SOME heat in the summer time and contribute to an influx of warmer air when one is running the A/C, but don't your ovens have insulation around them? I can't say I have ever noticed the 'problem'..LOL.

Sure they have insulation, but they still radiate heat into the kitchen that I don't need. Besides that, you still have to open that door for periodic checks on progress, and to take out the food when done. I hate getting blasted in the face with hot air.
Come Fall and cooler weather, is when I like to bake all kinds of goodies, and make a lot of different roasts, turkey, lamb, etc. A microwave just doesn't cut it for all of that.

Medusa
08-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Sure they have insulation, but they still radiate heat into the kitchen that I don't need. Besides that, you still have to open that door for periodic checks on progress, and to take out the food when done. I hate getting blasted in the face with hot air.
Come Fall and cooler weather, is when I like to bake all kinds of goodies, and make a lot of different roasts, turkey, lamb, etc. A microwave just doesn't cut it for all of that.

Oh yes, absolutely. My kitchen is rather small and can itself feel like an oven when mine is on. In the winter, it's welcome; summer, not so much. :p

Cataholic
08-20-2010, 04:12 PM
You all need to lose the easy bake ovens, and get one with better insulation. LOL!

lvpets2002
08-20-2010, 04:42 PM
:p Are you going to Buy us all a New Oven?? I didnt think so..

I dont do ovens in the summer.. Now I look for any excuse to cook with my oven in the winter..

You all need to lose the easy bake ovens, and get one with better insulation. LOL!

Medusa
08-20-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm thinking maybe it isn't the oven but the size of the kitchen. My oven is new, just a year old but my kitchen is anything but new and quite small. I dunno. :confused:

pomtzu
08-20-2010, 07:53 PM
I'm thinking maybe it isn't the oven but the size of the kitchen. My oven is new, just a year old but my kitchen is anything but new and quite small. I dunno. :confused:

But I have a fairly big kitchen, compared to a lot I've seen, and it still gets too hot to suit me. Go figure.....

Medusa
08-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Go figure.....

Yep, that answer suits me. :p

Asiel
08-21-2010, 01:18 PM
But I have a fairly big kitchen, compared to a lot I've seen, and it still gets too hot to suit me. Go figure.....

You're right about the oven radiating heat. On hot days with the a/c running almost non stop it defeats the purpose when you run the oven. During the heat wave I made mostly cold meals, salads and sliced meats etc. But if we hit a cool day then I would cook a meal early in the morning and by the time the temperature warmed up my oven was cool. We would just warm up our meal in the micro.
I think our heat wave is over for the summer. Got up to 4 degrees the last 2 days and we don't get anything much higher than the low twenties now. The rain we didn't get all summer is making up for lost time...we've had thunderstorms and heavy rains almost every second day for the past two weeks.

Medusa
08-21-2010, 01:26 PM
You're right about the oven radiating heat. On hot days with the a/c running almost non stop it defeats the purpose when you run the oven. During the heat wave I made mostly cold meals, salads and sliced meats etc. But if we hit a cool day then I would cook a meal early in the morning and by the time the temperature warmed up my oven was cool. We would just warm up our meal in the micro.
I think our heat wave is over for the summer. Got up to 4 degrees the last 2 days and we don't get anything much higher than the low twenties now. The rain we didn't get all summer is making up for lost time...we've had thunderstorms and heavy rains almost every second day for the past two weeks.

You got UP to 4 degrees? In August? Where do you live?

Asiel
08-21-2010, 02:07 PM
That was 4 degrees Celcius, probably around 39 F. That was at 6:00am when I got up. The tempemprature rose to about 22 by 2:30 , about 70F I guess.
I'm sure we'll be getting some warmer days before the end of summer, or at least I hope we do but we won't be seeing 36-39 anymore. The highest we can expect is in the 20's. It's already getting darker as the month wears down, we don't get up to sunlight anymore, we need to turn on the lights now. Sun isn't up before 7 or so. And it goes down a lot earlier also - gone are the days when it was still light at 10:00 pm. Oh, I'm in the north of Canada.

Marigold2
08-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Hubby and I went out yesterday and found a great stove. It has 5 burners, 2 big, 2 small and one as a warming agent.
It cleans itself two ways. One the regular way with heat and the second is steam cleaning. You add a bit of water to the botton of the oven and it steam cleans. I love this feature because if your oven is just a bit dirty you don't need to use the regular feature and have it run for hours.
It is also is a convection oven, so it will cook faster.
I love it when hubby goes with me and picks out app. I tend to go for the less expensive but he likes the fancy gadgets so I let him pick and come away with something nicer. We have to order it so it will take up to two weeks to be here but well worth it. Until then it will be sandwich and salad for today.