PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip Thursday #391.

RICHARD
08-12-2010, 11:48 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Bixby_pano1.jpg

IT's time to load up the bus and take a ride up the Cali coast....

Orc, bring the car around!

pomtzu
08-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Count me in - just as long as it's cooler there than here! How about a glass of champagne with a strawberry in it. Haven't had that in a long time. Oh - and since it's such a long ride up the coast, maybe you could stash a few bottles on board so I can sip the whole trip!?? :eek: Thanks! Let's get this show on the road...:D

Great pic - Monterey???

Karen
08-12-2010, 12:30 PM
I do love that so much of the California coastline in undeveloped, so there's plenty of wild places left. I'll bring the pretzels, always a requirement for road trips!

Lady's Human
08-12-2010, 01:51 PM
As long as the car is right for the trip, I'm IN!

Like a fleet of mustang convertibles to really enjoy the view AND the roads!

cassiesmom
08-12-2010, 02:47 PM
8/12 is Vinyl Record Day ... August 12th is the date Edison invented the phonograph in 1877. So, while I get out my p honograph with the o-l-d needle, could I have a diet 7-up, please? (Do they even sell phonograph needles anymore?)

smokey the elder
08-13-2010, 10:00 AM
There are audiophiles who still play vinyl. There are also USB turntables which can be used to copy vinyl to .mp3 or other digital format, that I'm sure use needles.

pomtzu
08-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Sure you can buy needles, and turntables too. I keep saying I'm going to get one to play some of my dozens and dozens of albums, mostly from the 60's to mid-70's! Good old oldies........:D

Catty1
08-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Actually, a geek friend of mine told me one can patch cables from the stereo system into one's computer and record directly!

Haven't looked into that though - but cheaper than buying a 'copying turntable' and wondering about the quality of it.

Pinot's Mom
08-13-2010, 10:31 AM
We have one of those turntables you plug into the computer and create computer discs from vinyl. Great thing-we have HUNDREDS of albums!

Anyway, barkeep, I'd like to join Pom in Champagne all the way to the coast, and how about a slice of that quiche I put on the bar earlier, please? It'd be good with a nice salad for lunch! :)

davidpizzica
08-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Orc knows how to DRIVE?? Maybe I'd better ride shotgun just in case! I'll bring my collection of oldie cd's from '54-55 thru 1963.

lvpets2002
08-13-2010, 12:54 PM
:p That was just what I was thinking.. Orc Drives :rolleyes: = oh boy everyone go to the ditch.. Oh well I will brings some finger sandwichss.. No No Orc you cannot throw them at the drive by cars.. Uppmmss :D

Orc knows how to DRIVE?? Maybe I'd better ride shotgun just in case! I'll bring my collection of oldie cd's from '54-55 thru 1963.

RICHARD
08-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Count me in - just as long as it's cooler there than here! How about a glass of champagne with a strawberry in it. Haven't had that in a long time.

Oh - and since it's such a long ride up the coast, maybe you could stash a few bottles on board so I can sip the whole trip!?? :eek: Thanks! Let's get this show on the road...:D

Great pic - Monterey???

I think it's up in Monterey.....It's someplace beautiful!

Champagne and a strawberry?

DONE!

Karen!

Plastic bags for individual servings!

DONE!

CM,

Diet 7-up and a phonograph...

DONE!
LH,

Mustangs!

DONE!

STE, Pom and Catty,

Will you guys be the 'trip DJs?'

Please?

PM,

Champagne and quiche!

DONE!

David,

Just sit back and relax?

DONE!

LP,

You and that ORC...Have fun!

pomtzu
08-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Sure - I'll help out with DJ duty - just so long as the champagne keeps flowing. :D

And since we're heading up the beautiful CA coast - how if we start out with an old Beach Boys tune - like California Girls, or a good old one from the Mammas & Pappas - California Dreamin'???

Feel free to sing along, everyone..........;)

RICHARD
08-14-2010, 08:59 AM
Sure - I'll help out with DJ duty - just so long as the champagne keeps flowing. :D

And since we're heading up the beautiful CA coast - how if we start out with an old Beach Boys tune - like California Girls, or a good old one from the Mammas & Pappas - California Dreamin'???

Feel free to sing along, everyone..........;)

We can pull over to side of the road and rock out!

More champagne? DONE!:D

davidpizzica
08-14-2010, 09:15 AM
I'll have some, RICHARD but no more for Orc because he was over the centerline two times! Lucky thing there'e new batteries in his remote!

RICHARD
08-14-2010, 12:18 PM
I'll have some, RICHARD but no more for Orc because he was over the centerline two times! Lucky thing there'e new batteries in his remote!

Some champagne for David.

Wait a second. Isn't using the remote like playing a video games?

Who is really driving!?!?!?!?;)

DONE!

pomtzu
08-14-2010, 12:38 PM

I know who isn't driving ----- ME!
Champagne glass in one hand, flipping thru the vinyl with the other ~~~~~ I think that's all I can manage right now.

Did anybody bring a camera? I'd like some nice shots of the coast - especially Monterey. The farthest north I ever got in CA was Long Beach. :eek: Is it still all oil pumping fields?????

davidpizzica
08-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Some champagne for David.

Wait a second. Isn't using the remote like playing a video games?

DONE!

RICHARD, two more miles and I'm hiding the remote and taking over the wheel!!

Medusa
08-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Can I go back to England? I know it isn't a road trip but I'm just heartsick for it and have been ever since I've come back home. If I can't go there w/the boy, then I'll go back to L.A. and do a surprise visit on him.

RICHARD
08-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Can I go back to England? I know it isn't a road trip but I'm just heartsick for it and have been ever since I've come back home. If I can't go there w/the boy, then I'll go back to L.A. and do a surprise visit on him.

You can......England it is!

DONE!

David, we are in your hands now!

Pom,

Yepper, The "LB" still is oil fields!

Refills for the bus!

DONE!

davidpizzica
08-15-2010, 10:11 AM
RICHARD, there's no pressure on me, IS THERE??

RICHARD
08-15-2010, 12:05 PM
RICHARD, there's no pressure on me, IS THERE??

I trust you, I really d.....

LOOK OUT!:D;)

Just kidding!

davidpizzica
08-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Trust me RICHARD, if you can drive on Pennsylvania roads (such as THEY are!) you can can drive anywhere in the U.S.A.!

RICHARD
08-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Trust me RICHARD, if you can drive on Pennsylvania roads (such as THEY are!) you can can drive anywhere in the U.S.A.!

The traffic out here in CA doesn't let us build too much speed anyway.:D

Karen
08-15-2010, 06:38 PM
There are some steep switchback turn on California roads that might give you pause, David, particularly just north of San Francisco, but it is beautiful country in any case, no need to hurry! There are some road I know my mother could never have driven with sharp drop-off to one side as well - not a lot of margin for error!

Can we stop at a beach to pick up neat rocks? Pleeeease? You guys can have a barbecue on the beach while I comb the shoreline for shells and pretty rocks ...

RICHARD
08-16-2010, 10:48 AM
There are some steep switchback turn on California roads that might give you pause, David, particularly just north of San Francisco, but it is beautiful country in any case, no need to hurry! There are some road I know my mother could never have driven with sharp drop-off to one side as well - not a lot of margin for error!

Can we stop at a beach to pick up neat rocks? Pleeeease? You guys can have a barbecue on the beach while I comb the shoreline for shells and pretty rocks ...

Yep out her there are some mountain roads that make you feel pretty vulonerable....:eek:

We can stop!

DONE!

smokey the elder
08-16-2010, 10:49 AM
I have some sweet road trip tunes for the trip, so I'll help DJ! "Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel"...The Doors

RICHARD
08-16-2010, 11:23 AM
I have some sweet road trip tunes for the trip, so I'll help DJ! "Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel"...The Doors

Songs about..........DRIVING!:D

DONE!

lvpets2002
08-16-2010, 12:25 PM
:p I know the Road Song of = 99 Beers on the wall & then 98 Beers on the Wall & so on.. Even Orc can sing to this one.. Like David said No more drinks for the Orc..:D

Songs about..........DRIVING!:D

DONE!

Pinot's Mom
08-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Are we going as far north as Eureka? I love that town!

'Nother round of bubbly in the backseat, barkeep! Pomtzu and I are having a party!!:D

pomtzu
08-16-2010, 01:41 PM
'Nother round of bubbly in the backseat, barkeep! Pomtzu and I are having a party!!:D

Oh yeah - I'm just lovin' this par-teeeee!

I'd like to find some pretty shells too Karen. If you'll hold me up, I'll help you look. :p I have a sand dollar and a baby starfish that I gathered on a beach somewhere. I'm thinkin' it was when I was in CA - but it might have been when I was in FL. Certainly wasn't in DE - mostly stinky horseshoe crabs here.........:eek:

RICHARD
08-16-2010, 06:45 PM
:p I know the Road Song of = 99 Beers on the wall & then 98 Beers on the Wall & so on.. Even Orc can sing to this one.. Like David said No more drinks for the Orc..:D

And we'd have to stop at every off ramp to find a BR?:D;)

DONE!

PM,
Eureka? I think I found it.:rolleyes:

http://www.americantowns.com/ca/eureka/photos

More champagne, done!

POM,

You DID find them on the beach......:D

A refill, done!

Pinot's Mom
08-16-2010, 09:27 PM
That's the place, Richard, I love those houses! There's a picture of one of them not 10 feet away from me at this moment! :)

Keep the bubbly coming, please!

Karen
08-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Oh yeah - I'm just lovin' this par-teeeee!

I'd like to find some pretty shells too Karen. If you'll hold me up, I'll help you look. :p I have a sand dollar and a baby starfish that I gathered on a beach somewhere. I'm thinkin' it was when I was in CA - but it might have been when I was in FL. Certainly wasn't in DE - mostly stinky horseshoe crabs here.........:eek:

I will certainly help hold you up, and my knees still work, so I can do the bending down to get stuff no problem! I have some of the pretty rocks I collected as a kid here on my desk amidst the many little turtle and bunnies and was surprised to find some that Aunt Bertha must have collected on beaches in her youth as well!

RICHARD
08-16-2010, 11:03 PM
I will certainly help hold you up, and my knees still work, so I can do the bending down to get stuff no problem! I have some of the pretty rocks I collected as a kid here on my desk amidst the many little turtle and bunnies and was surprised to find some that Aunt Bertha must have collected on beaches in her youth as well!

I love the glass pieces those are the prettiest.:D

RICHARD
08-16-2010, 11:14 PM

I love the glass pieces you find on the beach, those are kinda neat.:D

pomtzu
08-17-2010, 07:43 AM
I love the glass pieces you find on the beach, those are kinda neat.:D

You mean the ones from broken beer and whiskey bottles????????? :eek::D

Karen
08-17-2010, 07:56 AM
You mean the ones from broken beer and whiskey bottles????????? :eek::D

The ones that have been in the seas long enough so they are frosted and smooth - it depends what color they now are as to what kind of bottles they were from. remember, milk, juice, everything used to come in glass bottles, not just whiskey or beer!

RICHARD
08-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Pom,
Yes, they are broken beer bottles, the green colors are rarer!

Karen.
Yeah, the frosting is the best part!

Karen
08-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Look! (http://www.weather.com/outlook/driving/scenicdrives/?sd=cacoast.jsp&param1=USCA0724&param2=USCA0733) - weather.com decided to post this as one of today's top picks - I wish there were more photos, but plenty of description, anyway!

pomtzu
08-17-2010, 08:49 AM
The ones that have been in the seas long enough so they are frosted and smooth - it depends what color they now are as to what kind of bottles they were from. remember, milk, juice, everything used to come in glass bottles, not just whiskey or beer!

I know! I was just pulling RICHARD'S chain. :D

lvpets2002
08-17-2010, 10:29 AM
:eek: NoNo Orc = pomtzu did not say pull Richard with the Chain.. Wsshh that was close for Richard..:rolleyes: Orc whats we going to do with you.. Why donts you go get us something nice & cool to drink.. :p

I know! I was just pulling RICHARD'S chain. :D

RICHARD
08-17-2010, 10:03 PM
:eek: NoNo Orc = pomtzu did not say pull Richard with the Chain.. Wsshh that was close for Richard..:rolleyes: Orc whats we going to do with you.. Why donts you go get us something nice & cool to drink.. :p

Let's make today and tomorrow a nice slow ride back to the bar!

How's about a cherry limeade?

DONE!

lvpets2002
08-18-2010, 09:51 AM
:cool: Yes with Lots of ICE.. It is so HOT in TX right now.. The whole month has been 103-105% with heat index of 110-115%.. Everything is frying.. Hey Orc lets get out the Mega Water Blaster..:D

Let's make today and tomorrow a nice slow ride back to the bar!

How's about a cherry limeade?

DONE!

RICHARD
08-18-2010, 10:05 AM
:cool: Yes with Lots of ICE.. It is so HOT in TX right now.. The whole month has been 103-105% with heat index of 110-115%.. Everything is frying.. Hey Orc lets get out the Mega Water Blaster..:D

it was 95 yesterday and I was hot..

Done!;)

lvpets2002
08-18-2010, 11:05 AM
:cool: Honey right now that 95 would feel like a cold front to us.. Ok Orc lets Mega Water Blast Richard.. :D

it was 95 yesterday and I was hot..

Done!;)

RICHARD
08-18-2010, 01:09 PM
:cool: Honey right now that 95 would feel like a cold front to us.. Ok Orc lets Mega Water Blast Richard.. :D

Thanks!
I need it today, I bought some eggs last week and had some on Sunday, now I am sicker than a dog and when I checked them against the recall numbers?

Yep, they are some of the bad ones!:(:eek:

lvpets2002
08-18-2010, 03:37 PM
:( Oh no Richard you had better go to the Doc.. I will have to say I only eat immo man made eggs.. I sure hope you get to feeling better real soon..

Thanks!
I need it today, I bought some eggs last week and had some on Sunday, now I am sicker than a dog and when I checked them against the recall numbers?

pomtzu
08-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Thanks!

Yes - you really should get to the doctor - especially if it was those contaminated eggs that you ate. I don't have fond memories of that food poisoning I had back in May, and I feel your pain.

Get to feeling better soon, my friend - and that's an order! :D

Medusa
08-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Richard, stop faking. ;)

RICHARD
08-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Richard, stop faking. ;)

I wish I was!!!!:eek: