PDA

View Full Version : Flight attendant exits career dramatically

cassiesmom
08-11-2010, 12:42 PM
From the New York Times, August 9, 2010
Fed-Up Flight Attendant Makes Sliding Exit
By ANDY NEWMAN and RAY RIVERA

It has been a long time since flight attendant was a glamorous job title. The hours are long. Passengers with feelings of entitlement bump up against new no-frills policies. Babies scream. Security precautions grate but must be enforced. Airlines demand lightning-quick turnarounds, so attendants herd passengers and collect trash with the grim speed of an Indy pit crew. Everyone, it seems, is in a bad mood.

On Monday, on the tarmac at Kennedy International Airport, a JetBlue attendant named Steven Slater decided he had had enough, the authorities said.

After a dispute with a passenger who stood to fetch luggage too soon on a full flight just in from Pittsburgh, Mr. Slater, 38 and a career flight attendant, got on the public-address intercom and let loose a string of invective.

Then, the authorities said, he pulled the lever that activates the emergency-evacuation chute and slid down, making a dramatic exit not only from the plane but, one imagines, also from his airline career.

On his way out the door, he paused to grab a beer from the beverage cart. Then he ran to the employee parking lot and drove off, the authorities said.

He was arrested at his home in Belle Harbor, Queens, a few miles from the airport, and charged with felony counts of criminal mischief and reckless endangerment.

“When they hit that emergency chute, it drops down quickly within seconds,” a law enforcement official said. “If someone was on the ground and it came down without warning, someone could be injured or killed.”

In a statement, JetBlue said it was working with the Federal Aviation Administration and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to investigate the episode. “At no time was the security or safety of our customers or crew members at risk,” the company said.

According to his online profiles, Mr. Slater has been the leader of JetBlue’s uniform redesign committee and a member of the airline’s in-flight values committee. Neighbors in California, where Mr. Slater grew up, said he had recently been caring for his dying mother, a retired flight attendant, and had done the same for his father, a pilot.

The contretemps on Monday unfolded as JetBlue Flight 1052, a regional Embraer 190 jet, landed at Kennedy around noon — on time — with 100 passengers aboard and pulled up to the gate, said another law enforcement official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the investigation was continuing.

The official offered the following account:

One passenger stood up to retrieve belongings from the overhead compartment before the crew had given permission. Mr. Slater instructed the person to remain seated. The passenger defied him. Mr. Slater reached the passenger just as the person was pulling down the luggage, which struck Mr. Slater in the head.

Mr. Slater asked for an apology. The passenger instead cursed at him. Mr. Slater got on the plane’s public-address system and cursed out the passenger for all to hear. Then, after declaring that 20 years in the airline industry was enough, he blurted out, “It’s been great!” He activated the inflatable evacuation slide at a service exit and left the world of flight attending behind.

In short order, his brick two-story house on Beach 128th Street in the Rockaways, just off the ocean, was swarmed by detectives and uniformed officers from New York City and the Port Authority. “It was like there was a hostage in there,” said Curt Krakowski, who was working on the deck of a house across the street.

Mr. Slater, Mr. Krakowski said, “had a smile on his face when the cops brought him out, like, ‘Yeah, big deal.’ ” Mr. Slater was taken to a Port Authority police building at the airport and was expected to be held overnight.

One person familiar with the investigation said JetBlue took more than 20 minutes to notify the Port Authority police, allowing Mr. Slater time to get home. A spokesman for the airline declined to comment when asked about the delay, and a Port Authority spokesman said, “In matters of criminality, the Port Authority Police Department should be notified immediately.”

The episode is the latest round in what is seen as an increasingly hostile relationship between airlines and passengers.

A few weeks ago, an Air France flight attendant was arrested for stealing the wallets of first-class passengers. Last year, a Canadian singer parodied United Airlines on YouTube in a series of songs about how the airline broke his guitar.

A new study by the International Air Transport Association found an increase in instances of disgruntled passengers and violence on planes, with the chief cause being passengers who refuse to obey safety orders. By the same token, frequent-flier blogs echo with tales of “flight attendant rage.”

While JetBlue’s flight attendants are not unionized, a spokeswoman for the Association of Flight Attendants, Corey Caldwell, said anxieties were common on planes. “Anyone who has traveled since Sept. 11 understands that being in the cabin is stressful these days,” Ms. Caldwell said.

The portrait of Mr. Slater that emerges from interviews with neighbors and friends and from profiles on MySpace, Facebook and LinkedIn shows a man with mixed feelings about his job.

Photographs show him in the mountains of El Yunque National Forest in Puerto Rico and sitting behind the wheel of a convertible. “Steven Slater has visited 22 percent of the countries in the world!” the MySpace page announces.

Yes, and Pittsburgh, too. “Chances are I am flying 35,000 feet somewhere over the rainbow on my way to some semifabulous JetBlue Airways destination!” the MySpace page says. “Truly, some are better than others. But I am enjoying being back in the skies and seeing them all.”

A former roommate, John Rochelle, said Mr. Slater was seldom home. When Mr. Slater was not working, Mr. Rochelle said, he was usually in Thousand Oaks, Calif., a Los Angeles suburb, caring for his sick mother.

A neighbor there, Ron Franz, said Mr. Slater also cared for his father as he was dying from Lou Gehrig’s disease. Mr. Franz, 72, was hard-pressed to explain Mr. Slater’s actions on Monday. “It could be the pressure of his mother’s illness, because that’s not the type of behavior or conduct that Steve exhibits,” he said. “He’s a very conscientious, responsible individual.”

But a former flight attendant, Janet Bavasso, who lives next door to Mr. Slater in Queens, found nothing mysterious at all.

“Enough is enough — good for him,” Ms. Bavasso said. “If he would have called me, I would have picked him up.”

---------
This doesn't sound smart to me! It sounds like he acted on impulse.

pomtzu
08-11-2010, 01:02 PM
I guess where you're in a profession where you have to paste on that smile and be nice to everyone, all the time, that sooner or later you just might break. I can't say what he did was right, but I can understand it.

Daisy and Delilah
08-11-2010, 04:21 PM
I am totally impressed with this guy. I think what he did was so needed. It's all over the news. He is being called a hero in some circles. Granted, I don't think the whole act was completely appropriate but in the moment, I can't blame him.

I know the phrase is "the customer is always right" but not when they are abusing somebody. My hat goes off to you Mr. Steven Slater!!! I wish you the best.:)

Catty1
08-11-2010, 04:53 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/08/11/flight.attendant.reactions/

Flight attendants vent about passengers
By A. Pawlowski, CNN
August 11, 2010 5:46 p.m. EDT

(CNN) -- It's safe to say air travelers are paying more attention -- and maybe giving a little more respect -- to flight attendants after the incident on a JetBlue flight that has mesmerized the country and put a new spotlight on the once-glamorous profession.

Crowded cabins, strict security and the lack of food and manners have affected flight attendants as much as passengers, but many fliers are just starting to realize their frustrations after Monday's altercation at New York's John F. Kennedy airport.

The details have already become legend.

Steven Slater, a JetBlue flight attendant, got into an argument with a passenger who was trying to remove a bag from the overhead bin while the plane was still taxiing, according to a source familiar with the incident.

The source said Slater asked the passenger to sit down, but the passenger continued to remove the bag, which struck Slater in the head. Slater asked for an apology, and the passenger refused and cursed at him, the source said.

A female passenger "was struggling to shove her carry on luggage (into the overhead bin) and she was competing with another passenger for the slot. They were shoving luggage around," said Slater's attorney, Howard Turman. "He (Slater) came over to assist, she started cursing and based on the information, slammed the overhead luggage bin on his (Slater's) head," Turman said

He says the female passenger said F--- you to Slater. Turman would not indicate the source of the account.

Slater then got on the plane's public address system to say he'd had it, grabbed a couple of beers and slid off a plane through the escape chute.

He's in trouble with the law, but not with the public, where there's growing support for his dramatic exit.

"Wow, it's been very, very appreciated and it seems like something has resonated with a few people and that's kind of neat," Slater told CNN affiliate WABC.

'Constant belittlement'

Many flight attendants and airline industry workers have been leaving comments on CNN.com to voice their support for Slater and vent their frustrations about rude passengers.

"As a flight attendant for a major U.S. international flag carrier, I've been called a b**** and assorted other names while on board an aircraft, had food trays thrown at me, and treated worse in this job than any other. There are days after constant belittlement and attempted subjugation I wanted to do the same thing," wrote stewRN.

Others were concerned that the flying public sees them as little more than waiters and waitresses in the sky. For one, the indignities of the profession were just too much.

"I used to be a flight attendant. I left just after 1.5 years on the job. I was tired of not being treated with respect by passengers and management. After all these years, I still remember this kid saying loudly, 'Here comes the trash lady.' His father was laughing next to him," wrote a poster who identified herself as soundoff123.

Another former flight attendant recalled being horrified by the treatment airline employees receive from passengers.

"The flying public in America is the rudest bunch of people I've ever seen. In my short experience, I was cussed out, spit at, had things thrown at me, and [was] threatened with all sorts of violence. The traveling public believes they should be able to ignore rules and do whatever they want and you are a just a slave there just to serve them, that is until the plane crashes then you're supposed to be their savior," said ben5339.

Rudeness 'can be unbearable'

Flight attendants must put up with a lot that passengers don't know about, added a poster who said she worked as a flight attendant for seven years.

"The work rules that most airlines have instituted in these days of cutting expenses are a cause for a lot of the anger. Couple this with a public that is more and more unhappy with conditions in the air and you have a very volatile situation. Passengers need to understand that the primary purpose of a flight attendant is to evacuate the aircraft in event of an emergency and enforce the rules that the FAA has determined are necessary for passenger safety," wrote myket.

Rude passenger behavior isn't limited to the plane cabin, airline employees said. A gate agent vented about his experiences on the ground.

"I happen to work for a discount airline and must say the rudeness of some people can be unbearable at times. Some of you miserable people come to the airport with chips on your shoulders and make it your business to blame everyone else for your problems," wrote mzindpndt.

"We airline employees are just trying to do our jobs. Passengers, please leave the negative energy at home."

RICHARD
08-11-2010, 05:07 PM
I worked "with the public" for about 4 months.

Dear John/Jane Q. Public.

Treat people like you would like to be treated.

You are a special person and a valued customer, act like one, you moron.

Don't threaten, curse, spit or yell at us. Sometimes I'd put you at the back of the line just because you are an a-wipe.

If you are genuinely nice to me? I'll put extra effort into making your business with the company and more importantly, me, an experience you will remember.

Treat me like a human being and half the struggle is over.

Act like an adult and I will treat you like one. So the next time you feel frisky and want to try and embarrass me in front of my co-workers or customers?

People will remember the Arse Hat that started to yell before they remember me.

Love you,
Mr./Ms. Face of the Company.

Bonny
08-11-2010, 06:33 PM
The passenger broke the rules & hit Mr. Slater. I smell a juicy lawsuit coming up. I say good for Mr. Slater he took enough crap from that passenger & should of grabbed another beer on the way out.

momcat
08-11-2010, 08:22 PM
This has been all over the news here too. Reporters interviewed a few of the passengers and the ones I heard support him to the max! After working in customer service for several years and knowing how nasty people can be, all I can say is "Way to go!!!"

Lady's Human
08-11-2010, 08:27 PM
My only issue with what he did is simple:

He endangered the ground crew by opening the emergency exit. Other than that, I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner.

Asiel
08-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Have to admire this guy. Maybe everything was not "politically correct" but there comes a time when enough is enough.

wombat2u2004
08-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Way to go.
I hope he extended his index finger up as he left.
I would have.

RICHARD
08-11-2010, 09:04 PM
My only issue with what he did is simple:

He endangered the ground crew by opening the emergency exit. Other than that, I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner.

It was an emergency, he had to get off the plane before he slapped the biatch.:eek:;)

Daisy and Delilah
08-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Very good, Richard. In my book there is no reason whatsoever that a person should take abuse from a customer. The employee is a human being and no less important than anybody else. I am probably one of the most considerate people anyone has ever had to deal with. No one is better than me and I am no better than anyone. I always treat people with respect because you never know when you might need that person's help.

The Golden Rule is very important to me and always has been. Treat people the way you want to be treated. This man was hit in the head with the overhead compartment door and spoken to like a piece of trash. What was he supposed to do? Like so many people that work with the public, he has probably seen anything and everything and just kept a smile on his face.

I agree, he deserved more than two beers on his way out. Celebrate!!! Enough is enough!!:)

I'm thrilled that everyone agrees with what he did. Awesome!! :D

kitten645
08-11-2010, 09:39 PM
If you are going to "go out", GO OUT IN STYLE! :D One of the expressions I hate MOST is "The customer is always right." NO ONE is ALWAYS right! J.Q. Public can be a PITA sometimes. Retail is a great way to find this out but I think flight attendants have it way worse! That biatch is lucky she didn't get slapped. I think he handled it well. He might be on the recieveing end of a lawsuit if he'd stuck around. You GO guy!

RICHARD
08-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Very good, Richard. In my book there is no reason whatsoever that a person should take abuse from a customer. The employee is a human being and no less important than anybody else. I am probably one of the most considerate people anyone has ever had to deal with. No one is better than me and I am no better than anyone. I always treat people with respect because you never know when you might need that person's help.

Thanks,

I want to say that LH has a unique view of the situation.

He MUST look after the welfare of his whole work crew and he probably has to write a ream of reports when people go off.

I know EX-FRIGGING-ACTLY why you flinched when you read the story.

Responsibility is a frigging heavy thing, when something goes wrong. People stop, turn and look at YOU, to see your response.

You gave the perfect answer.

Even if I played on a beer league softball team? I'd want you calling balls and strikes.

DD,

I laugh at it now, but I had a woman who's surgery I had to cancel tell me,
"If I die? I'll sue you!"

This gal had a breast mass and I had to eff with her because the doctor had a more "emergent" case?

--------

My mom worked in retail for 30 years.

During Christmas she worked from 8 a.m. until 12 midnight, sometimes.

She would tell stories of people being total AHs to her.

THat's where I got my "be fair to everyone" mantra.

Catty1
08-11-2010, 09:56 PM
I worked for a certain company about 9 years ago - let's call them Acme Ventilation.

It was (and still is) a family business. At one point, the boss was dealing with TWO "difficult" customers.

I told him one day that I had a new slogan for the company: "Welcome to Acme Ventilation, where we're taking the L out of public!"

He liked it. ;):D

K9karen
08-11-2010, 11:19 PM
My girlfriend is a flight attendant. She's had her foot broken when a woman just HAD to beat everyone before the plane landed (in turbulence) and get her bag from the overhead, after being told politely 3x to PLEASE sit down until the plane landed. She fell on my girlfriend.

My friend has nightmare stories. I don't know how she does it..yes I do, she's a doll.

Thankfully, I had a hold and mute button on my phone during my job with the public. But I quit a part-time job at a department store the day I busted a display glass during a long "discussion" with a nasty customer. I got an ovation from other sales clerks as I was walking out the door.

I heard there's a collection started for this guy's court fees! There's only so much a person can take, and caring for ill parents on top of everything else....Snap

Medusa
08-12-2010, 08:09 AM
I'm appalled at how some people behave in public, especially on a plane. When my son flew home to L.A. from Ohio, he said that two women in front of him had two little kids w/them and they allowed them to run up and down the aisle, which was bad enough, but the kids took magic marker and marked the walls of the plane! When people complained the flight attendants did nothing, which I don't understand b/c they're usually on something like that right away. My son said to them "Y'know, you're not at home!" but it fell on deaf ears.

When we were in England we went to see Phantom of the Opera on our last night there. We were at Her Majesty's Theatre and there were three young women behind us. One of them took off her shoes and put her bare feet up on each side of the chair in front of her. When a couple of us said something to her, she just ignored us and wiggled her toes.

I think anything goes now, no propriety, no civility, no courtesy. Some people are doing whatever they damned well please and there will probably be more people such as the flight attendant that had reached his breaking point.

pomtzu
08-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Working with the public for many, many years, even tho it was over the phone, and not face to face, I also had my share of a**holes to deal with. I would normally let them ramble on and on with whatever their "issue" was, and then try to calmly resolve it for them. There were also many who took their rambling to the abusive stage, at which point I would simply hang up on them. Every business tries to live up to the old "the customer is always right" b.s., but there are exceptions to every rule. Upper management always told the people where I worked, that we absolutely did not have to tolerate any verbal abuse from anyone, and we were well within our rights to simply hang up on the offending party.