PDA

View Full Version : My Mr Purr Michael is Sluggish.Miracle Michael's Coming Home..

catmandu
08-10-2010, 04:52 PM
:eek:
It may be being overly cautious but Mr Purr , AKA The Dream Cat , Michael is going in Thursdayfor a geriatric work up. He turned down the white meay Chicken which he loves and only laps at his ultra milk.
Maybe I am panicing after the loss of Joseph:love:, but Michael is slowly closing in on 19.:eek:
Please Pray For Mr Orange:love::love:
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy286/pouncer2scrappy/meowies3353.jpg

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy286/pouncer2scrappy/meowies3352.jpg
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy286/pouncer2scrappy/meowies3351.jpg
My Dear Michael is happy knowing His Cassie is praying for him:love:

cassiesmom
08-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Big, BIG prayers for Michael and his Dad!
:love: :love:

phesina
08-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Prayers and healing energies from all of us for dear Mr. Michael, and you too, Gary.

Laura's Babies
08-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Prayers for that handsome Orangie are on their way!

chocolatepuppy
08-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Michael will be in my prayers.

katladyd
08-10-2010, 09:47 PM
I always pray for Mr. Purr. He is my favorite Found Cat! I hope he checks out okay. Maybe he just misses Joseph.:love:

Medusa
08-11-2010, 07:55 AM
My blackie Boo is 19 now and although he moves slowly now, he's improving daily since he can keep his thyroid meds down. Hopefully, it will be something just as simple for Michael as well. Keep the faythe, Gary. :love:

catmandu
08-11-2010, 09:28 AM
I was able to catch Leigh Our Vet Assistant and Michael's on his way to the Vets.:cool::cool:
He is Mr Purr aka the Dream Cat there and I know that Michael will get the best of care.:cool::cool:
I realize that it's a matter of time for My Owesome Orange Heart:love::love: Cat:love::love:but I have to give him every chance to live.
Thank You For Your Prayers and I know that All My Found and Porch Cats and Many Pet Talker Angels will be there for My Michael so he won't be lonely.:love::love:

lvpets2002
08-11-2010, 10:30 AM
:love: Awee poor wittle Mr. Purr Michael.. Hope your Vet visit is a good & healthy one.. Sending Lots of Prayers & Huggss..

katladyd
08-11-2010, 12:25 PM
My Mac is going in next week for his geriatric checkup. He is getting thin, though he still plays like a kitten and eats and drinks well. I am thinking it is his thyroid and nothing more serious. My vet also said he could just be getting "mature". When he was rescued and given to me, they said he was somewhere around 4-years-old and that was 8 years ago. He may have been older than that, who knows? All I know is that, like Dear Michael, his is a much-loved orangie who I hope stays around awhile longer. Gary, I hope all goes well with my sweetie, Mr. Purr!:love:

jennielynn1970
08-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Major thoughts and prayers coming your way from PA. I hope Michael is just feeling a bit down, and he'll be up and at 'em soon!!

kb2yjx
08-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Gary!! I will send MEGA prayers and light a candle for that very special ORANGEMAN!!!

Catty1
08-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Prayers for that handsome orangie Michael! I hope he can be perked up and enjoy much more time with you.:love::love::love:

catmandu
08-11-2010, 04:12 PM
:(:(:
Sad to say , there is no good news for My Dear Old Michael, he barely licks his A/D which he loves , and he is not eliminating at all, and is a bit dehydrated.:(
Its is nothing specific, just the fact that My Dear Old Michael is winding down , he just has no interest in anything.:eek:
Our Vet Assisstants noticed this right off, as normally Michael is lively:love:
He still has his PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, but his body may be shutting down, as theres nothing that seems to be wrong with him.:(:(
Please pray the Michael is not in pain, and if it's his turn to be an Angel there will be a smooth transition.
He is and always will be My Dream Cat, My Mr Purr:love::love::love:

Catty1
08-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Prayers going out. I know Michael is loved by the vet assistants there, and I know they will do everything they can for him.:love:

{{{{hugs}}}} Gary.

3Catcondo
08-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Sending prayers North to you guys. Let me know if you and the fur clan need anything at the Found Cats Hotel. :love:

Amy

chocolatepuppy
08-11-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm sorry the news wasn't better Gary.:( Michael and you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

catmandu
08-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Thank You All so much for Your Prayers.
I am praying that they can do something for My Michael , My Dream Cat:love::love::love:
At the same time if Mr Purrr is no longer enjoying life, if he is not eating and lies in one spot for hours then it may be time for Michael to be An Angel :(:(:
I hope that I do not keep Michael around , if he is no longer happy.
I trust that I will do the right thing:love::love::love::love:

momoffuzzyfaces
08-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Aw, Gary, I am so sorry. Prayers on the way for you and sweet Michael. :love::love:

cassiesmom
08-11-2010, 06:29 PM
I am praying that they can do something for My Michael , My Dream Cat:love::love::love:
:love::love::love::love:

We are too!

:love:
Cassie and Elyse

Catlady711
08-11-2010, 06:43 PM
This is so sad.:( I hope he goes back to eating and being himself again soon. Thoughts are with you.

phesina
08-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Prayers for Michael and you, Gary.

Catty1
08-11-2010, 09:30 PM
More prayers for dear sweet Michael and his loving dad.

Gary, it is so amazingly brave of you to think of Michael's comfort first, in spite of what your own heartbreak would be.

{{{hugs}}} :love::love:

Reachoutrescue
08-12-2010, 01:51 AM
I hope Michael is okay...prayers for him!!

catmandu
08-12-2010, 09:25 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/new%20photos/th_cats101373.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/new%20photos/?action=view&current=cats101373.flv)
What I wouldnt give for a time machine, to go back to My Found Cats!!:love::love::love:

pomtzu
08-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Gary - I really think our Creator calls our furkids home to him, to make more room for us to take in and care for more of the lost souls who need us. :love:

katladyd
08-12-2010, 11:30 AM
I agree that one leaves to go Home so there is room for another lost, hungry, frightened soul in our hearts and homes. That doesn't make it any less painful to say Goodbye to one we have dearly loved. I do hope Michael has some more time with you, that would be the answer to all of our prayers. Just know that if he becomes an Angel, the Lord will guide another to your door who you will also love and cherish.:love:

cassiesmom
08-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Just checking for news about sweet Michael. Dear God, please take care of Michael and give him back his senior kittyzen spunk. Please take care of Michael's Dad too.

catmandu
08-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Theres good news and bad news about Michael, My Dream Cat aka Mr Purr.
First of the bad news and that is the fact the Michael's kidneys are bad and had to be drained and he was given fluids to clean his system out.
The Good News is that Michael:cool::has responded to treatment and is coming home Tomorrow afternoon::love:
He in all probabilty will only have a span of 6 months to a year, but in that time Michael will be so loved and spolied:love::love:
I will have to feed him a special Cat Food and give him medications;)
but My Dream Cat has a reprieve , MR PURRR'S COMING HOME:love::love::love:
HOOOOOOOOOOOOORAY!!!!:D

Catty1
08-12-2010, 03:40 PM
This is good news indeed. :):love: I would guess that they gave Michael sub-q fluids? If so, him getting those on a sort of regular schedule would help a lot. See what your vet says.

Gary, because of your love for these cats, they did not die of neglect or injury out-of-doors, but lived to an old age loved and pampered.

Wishing you many more happy days with Michael. :)

catmandu
08-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Michael was on fluids and I was speaking to the substitute Vet , who has a strong accent.
I will get some medications for Michael:love::love: and I will be asking My Regular Vet when he returns Monday.:cool::cool:
Whatever it take Michael is coming home, and he will be a well taken care of Cat:love::love:
I just hope the other Found Cats dont like his prescription diet as well:eek:

Catty1
08-12-2010, 03:55 PM
I just hope the other Found Cats dont like his prescription diet as well

On the bright side, you would have to buy only one kind of food - and you get a discount on a case of it! :D

dehlers43
08-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Yay for Mr. Purr!

catmandu
08-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Except that food is usually about 3 dollars for a 5.5 ounce tin , plus HST at 13%!!!:eek::eek::eek:
I dread what Michael's bill will be with those blood tests, liquid antibiotics and the medications that are coming home.
But its My Mister Purr:love:, My Dream Cat :love:so that's well worth the cost:love:

chocolatepuppy
08-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Now that's better news! Continued prayers for Michael!

phesina
08-12-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm so glad Michael will be back home soon and he has quite a bit of good time ahead for him and you and the other kitties!

Love to you all from all of us! :love::love::love::love::love::love:

Medusa
08-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Much better news, Gary. I'm sure he'll be as spoiled as any cat can be. :)

katladyd
08-12-2010, 10:26 PM
This is such good news!!! My heart has been heavy all day at work thinking of Michael. He is one PT cat I can truly say I love as one of my own. Please give Mr. Purr loves from me! I am doing the happy dance right now!:D:love:

catmandu
08-13-2010, 09:22 AM
And they have boneless chicken breasts one for 1.97 a pound at the Food Basics and at Sobeys a big BBQ Chicken about 2.5 pounds for 8 dollars!!!
Michael will be so very happy , and I may make an extra trip to the Buffet so Michael can have crab meat, roast beef and shrimps,
And more Chicken!!!:love::love::love:
Michael LOVES Chicken:love::love::love:
And I will have LES when I see My Dear Old Owesome Orange Cat once more:cool::cool::cool::cool:

cassiesmom
08-13-2010, 11:34 AM
This is such good news!!! My heart has been heavy all day at work thinking of Michael. He is one PT cat I can truly say I love as one of my own. Please give Mr. Purr loves from me! I am doing the happy dance right now!:D:love:

I'm with KatLadyD on all of the above. Please give Michael some big hugs and lovies from me -- all the other Found Kitties too! :love:

lvpets2002
08-13-2010, 12:27 PM
:love: Woo Hoo Michael is coming home.. That is great news.. Hope you feels much better Michael.. Huggss & Prayers

I'm with KatLadyD on all of the above. Please give Michael some big hugs and lovies from me -- all the other Found Kitties too! :love:

catmandu
08-13-2010, 04:32 PM
I called Our Vets and in the background I could hear Michael, the Pampered Dream Cat:love::love: howling for his dinner!!!:cool::cool:
He was so quiet and still when Our Vet assistant picked him up, I thopught tat I would never see him again:eek::eek:
Hes on his way with K/R Chicken Cat Food , Appetite Enhancers and Fluids to be given orally so he stays hydrated:):)
For as long as Michael has , be it six weeks or six moths, he is going to be Spoiled.
He is worth every cent of his Vet Bill and MORE:love::love:

phesina
08-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Gary, will you be giving Michael subcutaneous fluids at home?

catmandu
08-14-2010, 09:28 AM
We are going to see how Micheal does , but there is a good chance that I will have to give My Dream Cat fluids under the skin.
I have questions , is that difficult and I hate to ask , will this be expensive:love::love:
I hate to put a price tag on things, especially Mr Purr and I will pay the price.
Michael is worth too much for me to to help My Owesome Orange Cat.:love::love::love:

phesina
08-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Gary, I've given fluids to various cats of mine over the years. Presently Sydney and Bob are getting them.

It isn't that hard to do, but it does take a little practice at first. Basically, you pick up a little "tent" of skin around the scruff of the neck and insert the needle from the fluid bag parallel to the cat's body. Your vet's staff will show you what to do and have you try it and get it right.

I did a GoodSearch search on "administering subcutaneous fluids to cat" to see if I could find a clear, hopefully illustrated description of the process. I got LOADS of links!

Here's one with step-by-step instructions and photographs: http://www.felinecrf.com/managh.htm

And here's a YouTube demonstration by a vet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4Ta537YEOU

Here's another YouTube demo, from Cornell's vet school: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LSppGcrQ3Y

There are plenty of other links for instructions, too.

Don't be nervous or shy. I am the original Nervous Nellie when I have to attempt anything mildly complex and possibly painful for the recipient..and I learned to do it!.. so you can too, Gary.

Is it expensive? Well, there is some cost involved, but it's worth doing because it could extend Michael's life and comfort level .. The fluid bags and needles are MUCH less expensive if you buy them in bulk. I get a box of 100 needles or a case of 12 bags of fluids at a time from the vet, which is much cheaper than just buying a few.

When I was first giving fluids, about 25 years ago, I'd get a bag or two at a time for something like $12 each from the vet.. until I found out that I could get a whole CASE of 12 bags through him for about $35!

And according to some of the web sites, these supplies are available for even less money in bulk from Costco and other large discount warehouse stores.

I tried to find these at Costco Canada online, but I couldn't. So, here are the nearest Costcos to you:

1 Ancaster (5.93 km)
100 Legend Court
Ancaster ON L9K 1J3
(905) 304-0344

2 Burlington (10.64 km)
1225 Brant Street
Burlington ON L7P 1X7
(905) 336-6714

I hope this helps! You and Michael will spend some real quality time together doing this.

Pat

catmandu
08-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Thank You so much Friend Pat.
:love::love:
I did not realize that Bob and Scrappy Twos Fellow Sydney:love: were getting fluids:D
I am going to talk to Michael's regular Vet when he comes back and set something up.:)
Does it take long to give Bob and Sydney their drips and do you have trouble keeping them still while doing this?:confused:

phesina
08-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Thank You so much Friend Pat.
:love::love:
I did not realize that Bob and Scrappy Twos Fellow Sydney:love: were getting fluids:D
I am going to talk to Michael's regular Vet when he comes back and set something up.:)
Does it take long to give Bob and Sydney their drips and do you have trouble keeping them still while doing this?:confused:

It doesn't take long, maybe 10 or 15 minutes in all. First I put the fluid bag in some warm water in the bathroom sink for a few minutes to get the fluid closer to body temperature. Then I put the bag up high.. I have a coat hanger on the shower-curtain rod that I hang it from.

Then I get the first one (usually Sydney). Either I hold him on my lap, or, he has a bed on the floor there and sometimes he stays in that. He might move around a little while I get him into an easy position to hold on to. Then I lift the skin for the tent and put the needle in, then open the fluid line. He just relaxes as the fluid flows in. We're done in maybe a minute or two, and I pull the needle out and set him down on the floor. I change the needle for a new one, then go get Bob. He likes to lie on his side on my lap, so I get him in the best position, make the tent, and insert the needle. He relaxes too as the fluid flows into him. In fact, he also is usually doing his silent purring!.. I can't hear it but I can feel him rumbling. Then he's done, and I unfasten him and put him down or else take him back to where he'd been before the fluids.

Sydney is going on 15 years of age, and Bob is 10 years old. Neither cat's kidneys are performing quite as efficiently as they had in the past, so that's why the boys are getting the fluids. Sydney gets 100ml every day, and Bob gets 100ml 3 out of 4 days running.