PDA

View Full Version : Drowning Tragedies

Karen
08-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Partly because of the 24-hour news cycle, we have heard of a whole lot of drownings this summer. I know we have discussed this before, but it boggles my mind that people can grow to adulthood without learning how to swim. We learned as children, it was just as much a part of growing up as learning how to read an analog clock, tie one's shoes and not touch a hot stove!

Do you know how to swim? Have you had the opportunity to learn but didn't take it up for some reason? Would you take a class and learn how if you don't already know?

Two incidents from today's news are 4 men drowning in a lake in Idaho, after one guy pushed another guy overboard as a joke, and didn't know he didn't know how to swim. Another is a teenager from NYC who drowned in an upstate NY motel pool, he didn't know how to swim, but ventured into the deep end ...

Catherinedana
08-10-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm an other. I like water, but not too deep. I'm not a strong swimmer but I float like a cork! Love the Gulf of Mexico here in Clearwater because it's not very active water and you can really just enjoy a dip. I never swim in a lake because I panic a bit when I can't touch the bottom. I do love a day at the beach though!!:D

Catty1
08-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Many of the drownings here are from simple things - like not wearing a life jacket!

Some are just sad accidents - many from people getting pulled down a river by a strong current earlier in the year (wait til all the runoff stops!)

And then there's the party/lots of booze/boat&water combo...almost a guarantee that someone will get, at the very least, hurt.:(

Cataholic
08-10-2010, 02:07 PM
To me, learning to swim is one way to avoid a commonplace enough tragedy. J underwent swim lessons this summer. That does NOT mean he is out of the woods by any stretch. But, constant and repeated exposure to water helps eliminate the 'fear factor' that can lead to drowning. He knows to flip on his back if he gets tired, or feels unsure. He knows to swim towards the side immediately. He knows to tread water. Next summer, or maybe in the spring, I hope to enroll him in a class that practices actual strokes and builds his skills more.

When we went to MI this summer, there was a rip tide (or whatever you call it in a lake) due to a significant storm over the lake. You could feel the pull. It caught him off guard ( I was right next to him). We talked about the feeling, how it is different than a pool, what to do (swim parallel to the shore as you slowly move in, etc). Did that make a difference? Nah. But, each exposure is something to learn from. There was another time where the 'wave' lifted him off of the bottom of the lake. I could see in his eyes he was frightened. He flipped on his back in two shakes of a cat's tail. That made me proud. He didn't panic, he went back to his instruction.

Not knowing how to swim is a horrible place to be. I do not think I am strong enough to save another, unless it is a small child....so, each man is on his own. :(

Cataholic
08-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Many of the drownings here are from simple things - like not wearing a life jacket!

Some are just sad accidents - many from people getting pulled down a river by a strong current earlier in the year (wait til all the runoff stops!)

And then there's the party/lots of booze/boat&water combo...almost a guarantee that someone will get, at the very least, hurt.:(

And, the simplest- not knowing how to swim/water safety. :(

Daisy and Delilah
08-10-2010, 02:21 PM
I took swimming lessons three times. I failed miserably all three times. My siblings did great. I think I have a fear of water that hindered the process.

Thank goodness both of my kids can swim with ease. I wouldn't have rested if they had gone to swimming events, pool parties, etc. without knowing how to swim.
Now I have no desire to swim and I hope I never have to wish I had learned.:(

Karen
08-10-2010, 02:25 PM
I took swimming lessons three times. I failed miserably all three times. My siblings did great. I think I have a fear of water that hindered the process.

Thank goodness both of my kids can swim with ease. I wouldn't have rested if they had gone to swimming events, pool parties, etc. without knowing how to swim.
Now I have no desire to swim and I hope I never have to wish I had learned.:(

As long as you wear a life jacket if you are ever on a boat, you should be safe. Sorry you had that fear of water, but I am sure that serves to keep you from venturing into pools in any case.

Grace
08-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Growing up in Rhode Island, it was almost mandatory :) We were at the beach constantly in the summer - so I learned very early.

My grandsons were taken to swim classes around the age of 2. One is now 20, the other 18 and they both have been lifeguards at the Y, and given swim lessons to others.

Even if one swims well, when going out on a boat one should always have a life jacket - IMO.

Taz_Zoee
08-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Our house had a pool so I had to learn. I took lessons as a child and then became a fish each summer. :)

While I know how to swim, when we go snorkeling I need a floatation device to hold me up while I look into the water. I panic putting my face in the water without being able to touch the bottom. I'm fine without my face in the water, I can tread water without a problem.

pomtzu
08-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Yes - I swim. My father taught me first to float and then to swim in Narragansett Bay. He had a boat and had life preservers on board, but it was a must to be able to swim too. I can't say that I'm a strong swimmer, but I could more than likely save myself and even a child. Both my kids learned to swim early on, since we had a pool when they were growing up.

lvpets2002
08-10-2010, 03:30 PM
:) My dad always said I should have been born a fish.. I have always loved water & could swim.. As a adult I got my Life Guard Certs.. However that does not excuse me from using a Life Jacket in certain waters.. Its always better safe than sorry..

Asiel
08-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Swam like a fish since the age of five. Summers were spent at the cottage and if we wanted to be in the "big" lake we had to know how to swim or we had to swim in the boat pool. That was enough incentive for us to learn.My kids also learned to swim by that age. We spent hours out on the lake and no way was I taking chances with kids who didn't know how to fend in the water.

RICHARD
08-10-2010, 04:48 PM
I read a book.

I swear to george, that is how I learned.:eek:

Asiel
08-10-2010, 04:57 PM
I read a book.

I swear to george, that is how I learned.:eek:

By reading a book?? So how and where did you practice the strokes? Might you have lived in the city of Atlantis ? :D

RICHARD
08-10-2010, 06:12 PM
By reading a book?? So how and where did you practice the strokes? Might you have lived in the city of Atlantis ? :D

My brother was in the Boy Scouts and I was looking at the "learn to swim" section. We had a dam/swimming area up the street from the house and I practiced there.

lizbud
08-10-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm not a strong swimmer, but I can swim. Took lessions as a kid in
a Indy park. I think Red Cross sponsered it. I took both my kids to lessons
at the YMCA. They can swim like fish.:)

RobiLee
08-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Yes, I can swim and I love the water!

For me it was just second nature also. We just grew up that way. My parents were avid swimmers, boater, skiers and scuba divers. At one point my dad was on a rescue team that searched for drowning victims. Being at the pool or lake was a daily thing for us. Passed the water genes right along to my son who was on the boat and in the water at 6 months old. Probably would have been earlier than that but he was a winter baby..lol. He was also a very good competitve swimmer and not too long ago I heard that he still holds 16 records at our local "Y". Just had to throw that brag in ...lol. Sadly though I am hardly ever around the water these days.

todd
08-10-2010, 08:03 PM
No, never had the opportunity

Bonny
08-10-2010, 08:11 PM
I can dog paddle is all & not for long then I sink. I always wear a life jacket when out on the river or lake.

Laura's Babies
08-10-2010, 08:56 PM
We had 6 drown last week, all kids (Teens I think) from the same family, cousins. The adults were on the bank, a family gathering of families. Not a one knew how to swim, only one went to help and he drowned also. The kids went into the water and stepped off into 20 foot deep sudden slope. That was SO sad!

chocolatepuppy
08-10-2010, 08:59 PM
When I was in 6th grade, if I remember correctly, the school sent us to the YMCA for swimming lessons. I feel I can swim good enough to save my life, although I haven't been swimming in years.

K9karen
08-10-2010, 10:36 PM
If my feetsies don't touch the ground...well... panic! :eek:

I'm not afraid of the water. Although I almost drowned as a child (miracle I was saved and survived..jumped back in WITH a float. Must have dreamt I could swim, ran ahead of the family and dived in without a float :rolleyes:) I can swim underwater just fine. Can doggy paddle with the best (Logan's cousin Gizmo the Beagle). I just sink no matter how hard I try. I swear, it's on my bucket list: MUST LEARN HOW TO SWIM!

Karen
08-11-2010, 12:18 AM
If my feetsies don't touch the ground...well... panic! :eek:

I'm not afraid of the water. Although I almost drowned as a child (miracle I was saved and survived..jumped back in WITH a float. Must have dreamt I could swim, ran ahead of the family and dived in without a float :rolleyes:) I can swim underwater just fine. Can doggy paddle with the best (Logan's cousin Gizmo the Beagle). I just sink no matter how hard I try. I swear, it's on my bucket list: MUST LEARN HOW TO SWIM!

Longer strokes are better than doggy paddle - have you tried floating on your back? That might be good to practice, always in a shallow enough area so that you can stand if you start to panic. Were you closer, I'd volunteer to teach you to swim, a lot of it has to do with breathing, relaxing and not panicking - and I bet it would feel nice on your back to just float in the water.

sasvermont
08-11-2010, 12:27 AM
I learned to swim at an early age. I lived in the Chesapeake Bay (Maryland) area and had access to the water all summer long. We were made to take lessons from the earliest age possible, lessons given by the Red Cross. I still have my Beginner Swimmer button handed out at the end of the summer. :rolleyes::D I made it through Senior Life Saving. As I recall, the lessons were tough. We swam in all types of weather. A couple of times they nearly drown us, making us swim during hurricane like weather. It was worth it.

I still have a healthy respect for water. You just never know what is below you when swimming. Diving is another story. You can really do some damage diving in unknown water.

I strongly suggest that everyone give their children lessons of some sort.

As far as I know, the lessons were free. I wonder if they are still offered these days? Probably not.

krazyaboutkatz
08-11-2010, 01:08 AM
I took swimming lessons at an early age. We always lived where we could go to a community swimming pool. We would also go to the beach and to sometimes to the lakes too. At the community pool in S.C. you had to pass a swimming test before you'd be allowed to go to the pool without an adult. I had to tread water for several minutes and I had to be able to swim the length of the pool. Later on when I was older I also took a life saving course but that was so long ago that I've forgotten most of it. I've always enjoyed swimming but I haven't been in quite a while even though I have two pools where I live. I do think it's important for everyone to learn to how to swim. It could save your life some day.

moosmom
08-11-2010, 07:00 AM
I learned as a child how to swim. Every summer we'd go to Bolton Lake. That's where I learned to swim. From there I joined the swim team at Goodwin Park Pool in Hartford. Only problem was I kept hitting my head (might answer alot of questions that no one bothered, like doctors, to ask me). Once on the pool side, once on a table leaf). That might account for alot. :eek::rolleyes:

Alysser
08-11-2010, 07:23 AM
I had swimming lessons at a young age, but they didn't help me. It eventually just became natural and now I cannot get enough of swimming. I LOVE IT whether it be ocean or my pool. I don't know about saving a life...never tried that one yet but I am a pretty strong swimmer.:p

mruffruff
08-11-2010, 11:57 AM
I had a couple of bad experiences when I was very young. Both scared me. Still I took swimming in high school-twice. Failed both times. Seems I'm built with lead inside. I can swim, but only underwater.:confused:

At times I'd like to be able to swim, but I'm not a "beach" kind of person anyway.

Everyone in SC likes to 'go to the beach' in the summer. I'd rather go to the mountains. So what am I doing here?!

dab_20
08-11-2010, 12:03 PM
I took swimming lessons as a child, and there were levels. I tried for years to get passed level 2 and failed everytime :rolleyes: Yes, I can swim enough to save my life... but that would include "doggy paddeling". I'm ok to go in the deep end in a pool but I kind of start to panic if I can't reach in a lake or an ocean. I went snorkeling last winter and had a full on panic attack when I first got in, but I can make myself calm down and I enjoyed it.

Queen of Poop
08-11-2010, 02:12 PM
I don't do water, period.

Bad childhood experience.

I don't even sit in the bath tub.

Back in high school a girlfriend figured she could teach me how to swim. I gave it a valiant effort but in the end, like my grandfather, I swim like a Rock. Straight to the bottom.

It's in everyones best interest if I stay as far away from the water as possible. I also don't do boats as I get terribly motion sick so no worries there either.

cassiesmom
08-11-2010, 02:48 PM
There was a recent sad story here in Chicago. Four 20-somethings out on a sailboat on a beautiful evening, decided to jump in for a swim but didn't drop the anchor on the boat first. One of the men died; the two women survived by treading water for several hours during the night; and the second man's body has not been recovered.

I learned to tread water and to swim (Red Cross instructions) at summer camp. I'm not an especially good swimmer technique-wise, though. I was in a synchronized swim club my second year of college and that was a blast, but I couldn't continue because of my class schedule. I don't look good in a swimsuit at my current weight, so I don't go very often. But I do like to swim.

ramanth
08-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Learned to swim as a child. Actually I've been in the water since I was an infant. :D

My grandparents had a cottage on a lake and so I spent every summer there since I was born. Never took official lessons, my mom taught my sisters and I. I joined the swim team in Jr. High.

I love the water so much. :love: :)

Catlady711
08-11-2010, 06:55 PM
My grandparents had a trailer on a lake with a pontoon. Neither of them could swim. They insisted I take swimming lessons at an early age before I was allowed to come to the trailer with them. Grandma even insisted taking me to my lessons so she could watch and be sure I could actually swim. Guess the certificate wasn't going to cut it for her. lol

Also every year when I went to summer camp you had to take the daily swimming lessons or you weren't allowed in the water during free swim in the evening or to go on canoe trips. It didn't matter how many years you'd been going or regardless of any other swimming certificates you had either.

The only thing that has ever baffled any of my swimming instructors is that their ways of teaching me to swim wear me out fast, I HATE treading water their way, can barely make the 2 minute minimum to pass. However if I'm allowed to swim my way I can be in water over my head for at least 1/2 hour without touching bottom before I'm tired. I can also swim for a short time using only my arms, or only my legs when I want to.

I hate putting my face in the water if I don't have to, but I can swim their way to satisfaction if required.

Doesn't matter to me if the water is 10 feet deep or 100 feet deep, it's how far from the shore (or a boat) I am that is likely to make me a bit nervous if at all.

kitten645
08-11-2010, 09:34 PM
I spent every summer of my childhood at the neighborhood pool. I'm a bit out of practice but I think in a pinch I could still use my lifeguard skills. I really should take a refresher course. I have a pool here at my complex and should use it more. Tough to find a time when it isn't over run with kids. :rolleyes:They make it tough to do some serious swimming. One more thing on my "to do" list:eek::p

AdoreMyDogs
08-11-2010, 11:51 PM
I'm the astrological sign Cancer, which is a crab. Not only can I get very grouchy (crabby), but I am completely at-home in the water. I've been swimming since I was a very small child. We had a pool in the backyard and I remember every SINGLE day of the summer, being in the pool...even when it was raining or when it was chilly out. I remember my mom having to struggle to get me to leave the pool, and her grounding me from the pool as punishment, and it was the worst thing in the world to me.

I agree that it's sad that some folks never learn to swim. You see that a lot here in TX. I never met anyone in MI that could not swim. Because of all the great lakes, it's actually required in MI to take and pass swimming class before you graduate high school (or at least it was when I was in HS). If you don't learn how to swim before high school, you don't graduate until you do learn how to swim. My 3 year old daughter has had swim lessons because she's the same way I am, she is completely fearless of the water even though she's not able to keep herself afloat without a life vest yet. I will continue her swim lessons until she's a strong swimmer and will be able to not only enjoy the water, but be safe as well. When Vincent is old enough, he will go through the same swim lessons. I feel it's my duty as a responsible parent to ensure my kids are good swimmers.

IRescue452
08-12-2010, 12:34 PM
I *can* swim, but not very far. I have heart troubles and swimming exhausts me fast. I love water though.

I think adults forget how little water can actually sweep you under in a good current. We had several drownings in WI this year from adults going out to sandbars and getting swept under. That case of the 9 year old drowning after her kayak being blown in the water mad me very angry though. The parents said they didn't make her wear a life jacket because she was a good swimmer. She's 9 years old!!! An adult can drown easily when taken by surprise. I can't imagine a 9 year old wouldn't start to panic a little after the wind pushed her kayak from shore.

wanwan1007
08-12-2010, 04:25 PM
I can't swim. I love the water. I guess I'm one of those cases that needs to be careful. I took lessons at the Y when I was younger but stopped going when it was time to jump of the diving board because I was scared of heights :eek:. I've signed up twice at my local gym and both time the classes were cancelled :mad:. When I went to Bermuda on a missions trip I tried to learn. I was told that I have "lazy legs". I'm not going to give up though. I'm determined to learn because even though I don't live near water I love the beach.

ramanth
08-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Because of all the great lakes, it's actually required in MI to take and pass swimming class before you graduate high school (or at least it was when I was in HS).

My high school had swimming/swim lessons as part of gym class. Everyone had to learn how to tread water and properly use flotation devices to help people in distress. I graduated in '96. :)

Suki Wingy
08-12-2010, 07:09 PM
I can't imagine not being able to swim. I've been doing it as far back as I can remember. I even took a scuba and a lifeguarding class.

K9karen
08-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Longer strokes are better than doggy paddle - have you tried floating on your back? That might be good to practice, always in a shallow enough area so that you can stand if you start to panic. Were you closer, I'd volunteer to teach you to swim, a lot of it has to do with breathing, relaxing and not panicking - and I bet it would feel nice on your back to just float in the water.

Funny, eh, that I CAN swim on my back, just not the other way around. I sink like a lead balloon. It's embarrasing. That's why my tootsies must be touching the bottom. I open my eyes under water, no fear of getting my face wet, etc. Mental block??

Karen
08-12-2010, 07:46 PM
You probably tense up, and that's why you sink! Good to know you can at least swim on your back, that does count as swimming! I never advanced to more complex strokes of swimming because I refused to breathe when they wanted me to - I don't think they had any clue of an asthmatic kid's aversion to anything blocking breathe when needed, and the fact that summer time is always the worst time for my allergies. I'll breathe when *I* need to breathe, thanks! I am fine underwater as well, can swim for a long time any way, just let me breathe at my own pace!

Catlady711
08-12-2010, 11:20 PM
I never met anyone in MI that could not swim. Because of all the great lakes, it's actually required in MI to take and pass swimming class before you graduate high school (or at least it was when I was in HS). If you don't learn how to swim before high school, you don't graduate until you do learn how to swim.

Must be dependant on individual schools or counties. I know several people, various ages, who went to various MI H.S. and none of them had to learn to swim to graduate.

Sirrahsim
08-13-2010, 04:53 AM
I can tread water and hang out in the deep end just fine but I have never learned to do the different strokes properly.

JALB
06-28-2020, 10:36 AM
I must admit, I have a pretty bad fear of deep water. All my brothers have learned to swim. I'm the odd one out. I too hope I'll never have to wish I'd learned. Part of the reason for this fear could be an experience I had as a one-year-old, where I ended up face-down in the water on one of the pool steps, after which my mom says I never wanted to put my face in the water again. That still stands to this day.

Vette
06-28-2020, 10:04 PM
I never really had the opportunity to learn. hoping that changes soon so that i can go swimming during the hotter parts of the year an if we if go camping near a lake itd be nice be able to swim.

also if you have dog/s an a swimming pool its best to teach your dog/s where the ends are to get out as some dogs have been known to paddle endlessly at the border/edge of the pool an get tired an drown cuz they didnt know how to get out of the pool

Karen
06-29-2020, 11:42 AM
I never really had the opportunity to learn. hoping that changes soon so that i can go swimming during the hotter parts of the year an if we if go camping near a lake itd be nice be able to swim.

also if you have dog/s an a swimming pool its best to teach your dog/s where the ends are to get out as some dogs have been known to paddle endlessly at the border/edge of the pool an get tired an drown cuz they didnt know how to get out of the pool

Never thought of that lst part, but that's interesting to learn.

Definitely find a teacher and learn to swim, it's so worth it!

Vette
07-13-2020, 10:17 PM
Never thought of that lst part, but that's interesting to learn.

Definitely find a teacher and learn to swim, it's so worth it!

Trying to get my brother to teach me when he has time :D

i didnt either until i seen several videos of dogs in pools an a lot of the time they head right for the edge/border thing of the pool an try to pull themself out that way; an some dogs dont have the strength to pull themselves out. especially smaller dogs; so its best to teach where the ends are so they can just swim up an onto the stairs an get out