PDA

View Full Version : Our office mascot

momcat
08-09-2010, 07:53 PM
After taking a few vacation days I returned to work today to a pleasant surprise. A cricket moved into the office last week! While nobody in the office has seen him, "George" chirped and sang all day. Several of us were following his chirps trying to figure out where he is but none of us could figure it out. The really nice thing is nobody wants to catch George and put him outside. We find his chirping to be pretty relaxing and makes us feel like we're out in the woods or an open field. None of us knows what crickets eat but since he has been around for about a week now George is obviously finding whatever he needs.

The mood in the office has improved and our stress level is way down. We love our mascot George and hope he stays around for awhile!

Taz_Zoee
08-09-2010, 08:47 PM
That's great if everyone likes it. Personally, it would drive me nuts! I can't stand cricket noises or if something is squeaking like that.
I hope George is getting food so he can stick around and help out in the office. If not, maybe you'll have to go out and get another one. :p

Catlady711
08-11-2010, 07:23 PM
None of us knows what crickets eat but since he has been around for about a week now George is obviously finding whatever he needs.

What do crickets eat? (http://www.asktheexterminator.com/Crickets/What_Do_Crickets_Eat.shtml)
Crickets are unusual creatures that will eat a variety of things, some traditional, some not so traditional including dead or decaying insects, plant matter, and fungi. If they cannot find anything to eat, they eat each other. Not a happy thought, but it saves time and energy. No going hunting. Just find your nearest relative and chow down.

Cricket diets go way beyond plant matter and other insects. This is why you need to go into hunting-mode when you hear one inside your home. They will dine on leather, certain types of cloth, and paper. Your clothing is fair game, as well, including items made of silk, wool, cotton, rayon, fur and almost any kind of fabric known to man. Any food sitting out is also fair game because they will eat meat, fruits, and vegetables if they can access it.

What crickets eat. (http://www.whatdotheyeat.net/what_do_crickets_eat/what_do_crickets_eat.html)
House Crickets – These crickets prefer warmer climates and are often found outside around garbage cans. They do also like to get into your home through crevices and live behind baseboards. House crickets are attracted to light and often jump, crawl and fly sides of homes to get to roof sky lights. They eat wool, silk, rayon, nylon and wood. These crickets will bite you if they feel they are in danger when you try to handle them.

Field Crickets – Each female of this species will lay up to 400 eggs that hatch during the spring. These are agricultural pests to crops and later at the end of summer they become pests to building and houses. They will do a considerable amount of damage to rugs, furniture and clothing feeding on wood, nylon, rubber and leather.

momcat
08-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Hi Catlady and thanks for the info! George was pretty quiet today. As for food, there's plenty to be found in the office.....paper, scraps of food in the wastebaskets until they're emptied by the cleaning crew. We only hear the one chirping but as much as we try, nobody can find him.

pomtzu
08-12-2010, 07:59 AM
It drives me nuts when crickets get in the house, and it seems they only want to "sing" at night, when you're trying to sleep. I truly believe that they are ventriloquists also, since they are never where they sound to be. I've never been able to hunt one down, based on his vocalizations!
My son's cats are good at keeping the cricket population down in the house. They eat them - all except for the legs, which I find on the kitchen floor! :eek::D

Medusa
08-12-2010, 08:01 AM
If a cricket gets into your house, it brings prosperity, especially if it's on your hearth. I ignore it and it somehow just disappears. Maybe the Fur Posse get it, I don't know. :confused: