PDA

View Full Version : In the dark, can you tell....

Cataholic
10-23-2002, 05:03 PM
Your cats apart????? I can't really say this is soley my thred, Jenluckenbach mentioned something about knowing her 11 cats apart in pitch black...and I thought I would see who else can?

I not only can tell all 6 (well, Minnie never comes upstairs) apart by their feel (skin, build), but also from their meows...

What about you guys?:confused:

boscibo
10-23-2002, 05:18 PM
Yep, but I only have 3 cats. Bo is big, and jumps on the bed with a big clunk. Abby has a much lighter jump. Abby also always tells me she's near, with a soft "mrrrow". Bo is pretty much silent.

Bo's fur is thicker, Abby's fur is softer & silkier. I can tell when Hanna the kitten jumps up, because she's the one moving at 100 MPH - she doesn't do anything slow, yet. And she's littler than the other two.

That's about the only time we are all in the dark - bedtime.

Cataholic
10-23-2002, 05:26 PM
What a perfect way to describe the sound "mrrow"...that is what Georgia sounds like, I just never knew the spelling...

2kitties
10-23-2002, 05:56 PM
Oh yes! They sound different, feel different and even smell differen to me. Others would probably disagree, but I always know.

moosmom
10-23-2002, 06:10 PM
The only one I can tell in the dark is MooShoo and that's because he has no fur and the others do. :D

Cataholic
10-23-2002, 06:12 PM
Moosmom- couple of questions...is the 'bald dude' in your signature referring to your SO or a feline? I always thought it was to a human...but since you mentined that Mooshoo is bald...well, I wondered.
Second, how is the job? Are you staying where you are? Still looking???

Miss Meow
10-23-2002, 06:54 PM
We only have two, but they are easy to tell apart in the dark. Jasmine squeaks like a toy mouse all around the bed before she jumps on it. Mini just jumps on the nearest human before walking all around the bed to find the warmest and most inconvenient sleeping spot for the humans. His fur is a little softer too.

jenluckenbach
10-23-2002, 07:28 PM
Yes, 9 out of 10 times I can tell them apart by their voices. But sometimes I think they do a ventriloquist routine to get some else into trouble. I can tell who they are by petting down their back and up their tail. The only trouble I have, in the dark, is that Willow and Ashley have the same facial markings, so even though one is tabby and white and one is calico, head on they could be the same. So I put a color on Ashley to help tell them apart. I used to get Y.Lee and Amber mixed up if they were laying down because they were just one big blob of orange. So now I go for the one of every color route.

Felicia's Mom
10-23-2002, 08:53 PM
Each cat sounds different. I can tell them apart when they jump on the bed: Felicia is heavier.

Nomilynn
10-23-2002, 09:39 PM
I can't tell Bassett and Tilly apart if they are running through the hall (they wear bells) and Nutmeg doens't wear a collar yet. But I can tell by voice and I can tell by feel of their fur and the way they feel when they walk on me :D

Logan
10-23-2002, 10:09 PM
Absolutely!!! Butter is so heavy, he lands with a "thud"!!! Mimi is quite delicate and always heads straight for the top of my head or my neck. Butter NEVER does that!!! Hehehe!!!!

Logan

Uabassoon
10-23-2002, 10:38 PM
I can tell the cats by their meows, corky has kind of a sissy mew and Tibby has a lound yowl. And when they jump on the bed they jump differently. Tibby is a lot lighter then Corkscrew. Tibby also has much softer fur and it's longer.

krazyaboutkatz
10-23-2002, 11:28 PM
Yes I can usually tell. Sometimes I confuse Storm and Pepper because they are both large DLH's but Storm's fur is much softer than Pepper's and he doesn't weigh as much as Pepper either. Sunny is very easy to tell apart in the dark because he's my skinny, bony kitty and has short hair. He also meows very loudly and has a very high pitched meow. :)

tuxluvr
10-24-2002, 07:29 AM
Hmm...interesting topic. Of course, only have one pet, lil Miz Ritz..but this thread made me chuckle because in the dark, sometimes all I can see are her "white parts"....as she trots down the stairs, these little white feet moving away from me. I sometimes wonder what it would look like in a black light :)

Chinadoll
10-24-2002, 09:05 AM
Yep! Scout is the heavier one with the loudest meow and shortest fur. Gigi is extremely soft with a soft meow/hiss. I can tell Bixby by the shape of his head(don't ask me to explain...it's just different from the other too), his high pitched meow, his overly affectionate licking habits...and his smell! He's a stinky little boy(clean because I always check, but stinky)...if you hold him long enough, he will fart. But...I love him anyway.