PDA

View Full Version : 5 Generic Products That Are Just As Good

Catty1
08-08-2010, 05:17 PM
http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/personal-finance/article/yfinance/1763/5-generic-products-that-are-just-as-good

5 Generic Products That Are Just As Good
by Amy Bell, Investopedia.com
Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Provided by:

investopedia

In today's tough economy, consumers are pinching pennies by choosing generic over big name brands in their supermarket aisles. From chips and dips to pain relievers and peanut butter, there's a cheaper generic version of almost every product.

Of course, some of these no-name products are second-rate. For example, if you've ever bought generic diapers, you probably ended up dealing with a messy leak the size of Old Faithful. Generic diapers can certainly save you a bundle, and some even offer the same absorbency as the big name brands - but in my experience, they simply don't fit your baby's bottom as well. And all parents know that an ill-fitting diaper is a recipe for disaster.

More from Investopedia:

• 10 Ways To Cut Your Food Costs (http://www.investopedia.com/slide-show/ten-ways-to-fight-food-prices/default.aspx?partner=yahooca)
• Measuring The Medicine Makers (http://www.investopedia.com/articles/06/drugmarket.asp#12807718673992&close?partner=yahooca)
• 20 Lazy Ways To Save Money (http://www.investopedia.com/slide-show/20-lazy-ways-to-save-money/default.aspx?partner=yahooca)

Another product you probably don't want to skimp on? Toilet paper. Most generic paper products are less absorbent, so you can end up using more. But unlike diapers and toilet paper (not to mention cheese, ketchup and soy sauce, if you want my opinion), there are a few generic products that take the cake. Here are five generics that are just as good as the real thing.

1. Cereal
Okay, so the generic brand cereal may have a sillier name (Krispy Krunchies) and a lesser known character on the box (Leon the Lion). Still, many consumers find that generic cereals taste just as good as their brand name counterparts. A 14-ounce box of brand name corn flakes will run you about $2.99, while generic corn flakes generally cost a mere 99 cents! Now, that's some serious savings.

If you're still in doubt, conduct a cross check of the brand name and generic cereal ingredients. You'll probably discover the ingredients are exactly the same. In other words, you're paying an extra two bucks for a picture of a corporate mascot.

2. Prescription Drugs
While you may be willing to give up your brand name corn flakes for their generic replica, would you ever consider buying generic prescription drugs? If you want to save huge amounts of money you would. Prescription generics typically cost between 20-80% less than their brand name counterparts. In 2008, the average retail price of a brand name prescription was US$137.90 as compared to the average generic prescription price of $35.22. Just think of all the generic cereal you could buy with that extra hundred bucks!

Many consumers worry that the generic prescriptions aren't as safe as the original drugs. However, pharmaceutical companies are required to use the same active ingredients in generic drugs as the brand name version, and generic prescriptions must meet the same quality and safety standards.

3. Over-the-Counter Meds
Just like prescription drugs, you can save some serious coin on over-the-counter meds, too. While you may be tempted to reach for the trusty Tylenol, Nyquil or Zantac, there are usually much cheaper versions of these popular over-the-counter meds on your pharmacy's shelves. The generic versions of these OTC meds contain the same active ingredients, and like their brand-name equivalents, these products must be approved by drug regulators. Depending on the item, you could save tons of cash on generic meds.

4. Basic Baking Products
When you're ready to stock up the pantry with some baking basics, reach for the generic version. From all-purpose flour and butter to spices, salt and sugar, these generic baking staples are pretty much the same as the real thing with a much smaller price tag. The companies that produce these generic single-ingredient items are required to follow the same production and storage regulations as the brand name folks.

5. Fresh Fruits and Veggies
You may have the Chiquita banana song stuck in your head, but don't let that catchy melody entice you to overpay in the produce section. Fruits and vegetables from lesser-known growers are just as good - sometimes even better, especially if the produce was grown locally.

When you hand-pick your fruits and vegetables, don't just go for the label you recognize. Your stomach (and your bank account) will be happier if you go for the label-free produce that looks fresh and smells scrumptious.

Go Generic and Save Thousands
Still hesitant to go generic? Chew on this: Research suggests the average consumer can save anywhere from $200-$1,500 per year by purchasing generic products. While you may not want to subject your family to store brand cheddar or no-name beer, there are plenty generic products out there that are just as good as the real thing.

Catlady711
08-08-2010, 06:36 PM
In many cases I agree, generic works just as good. However from that list I'll disagree with:

1) cereal - The generic cereal in my area tastes so different and has such a different texture I'd be able to pick it out of a blind taste test. I just stick with name brand ones that are on sale and I have a coupon for then stock up.

4) basic baking products - normally I'd agree on this one for just baking. However I have found that generic sugar is LOUSY for making humming bird food with. It stays cloudy no matter how hot the water is or how much you stir it, and my hummers don't eat it very well either. For that reason I always buy name brand sugar.

Laura's Babies
08-08-2010, 06:46 PM
There are some things I insist on name brands for because I tried the cheaper brand and it wasn't as good as the name brand.. Other things I don't care because they are the same quality.

In April, I had that allergies attack and the doctor gave me the RX for Flo-Naise nose spray that I have used forever without a problem. They gave me a generic brand and I was happy to have it as long as it worked.. I had no reason to think it wouldn't or that I would have any problems with it.

Until I somehow got choked one day and had the most horrifying thing happen to me. My throat slammed shut and I had to FIGHT like HE** to inhale. The sounds I made trying to inhale scared me to death and I knew this was life or death.. I struggled and struggled to breathe and I managed to get enough air in to keep myself from passing out until it passed. In 2 weeks on this generic Flo-Naise, I had 3 of those spells... Once I realized that, I have not used it again and I never will. I went to the drug store and asked the druggist what ingredients was different in that than the name brand and he said NONE! There IS something different in it that I am terrible allergic to that darn near killed me THREE times in 2 weeks. Some little something IS different that my body reacted to...

I NEED to know what it was that caused that reaction, afraid what will happen if I unknowingly get it again...

cassiesmom
08-08-2010, 06:48 PM
I'd like to offer a big "maybe" on generic drugs. My mom's endocrinologist told her that different thyroid hormone replacement preparations tend to be absorbed differently -> differing bio-availability -> return of symptoms, so she must always check her refill labels to be sure she gets the one she's supposed to be on. I just started a newly available generic equivalent for my antidepressant and I'm not sure it's working as well as the brand name did.

Cataholic
08-08-2010, 08:00 PM
I use some generics and am brand loyal on some things. Other things, I go brand to brand depending on price or sale.

I haven't noticed much difference in non-name cereal. I have bought WalMart frosted shredded wheat and can eat it just as quickly as name brand. :/

Suki Wingy
08-08-2010, 10:28 PM
I have bad taste buds anyway so I buy almost everything generic. Especially meds since they are usually the exact same thing with different names.

wombat2u2004
08-09-2010, 03:08 AM
Prescription Drugs
In 2008, the average retail price of a brand name prescription was US $137.90

Your'e kidding me.

pomtzu
08-09-2010, 06:38 AM
I go generic whenever possible, as long as the product tastes or works as it should. My docs always write scripts for generic and I buy generic OTC meds most of the time. At Walmart, a bottle of 100 Excedrin tablets is $15, and I buy the Walmart equivalent - a 2 pack bottles of 100 tabs each, for $4. The big bags of cereal in some cases taste better than the name brand - IMO. Canned veggies, soups, fruit, powdered juice mix, etc - all just as good. I do tend to stay with name brands tho on laundry detergent, and the paper products such as tp, paper towels and paper napkins. Most generics there are too linty, scratchy, and flimsy.

pomtzu
08-09-2010, 06:47 AM
Your'e kidding me.

That's a conservative figure too.

My doc once wrote a script for me - a daily injectable med like Boniva that is used for osteoporisis. I never fill a script without first calling several pharmacies to see who is cheaper. In this case it didn't matter, because they all were right at $1000 per month! I checked some Canadian pharmacies, and most didn't carry it, but one did at around $700 per month. Guess you know that I never got the script filled! :eek:

Queen of Poop
08-09-2010, 08:28 AM
I will not ever again use the generic form of Gravol (for motion sickness). Regular name brand Gravol works wonderfully for me. The generic brand doesn't agree with my carpal tunnel and makes my fingers swell. I've asked the pharmacist about this and she figured it was something in the filler that wasn't agreeing with me.

Asiel
08-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Generics for groceries and cleaning products, paper products, etc. are probably fine and they are much cheaper.
But as far as prescription drugs are concerned they are not the same. They contain the same main ingredient but the generics use cheaper fillers, the tablets are compressed differently, different colourings, etc. They do not work the same as the brand name drugs. Some can cause terrible allergic reactions and land you in the hospital fast. Generics are not recommended for heart meds, some neuro drugs have adverse effects. Some generics that aren't for serious problems can be used and will be effective but for serious health problems generics are not the way to go.
When my doctor writes out my scripts he always adds "do not subsitute" at the bottom of the script.

wombat2u2004
08-09-2010, 09:14 PM
That's a conservative figure too.

My doc once wrote a script for me - a daily injectable med like Boniva that is used for osteoporisis. I never fill a script without first calling several pharmacies to see who is cheaper. In this case it didn't matter, because they all were right at $1000 per month! I checked some Canadian pharmacies, and most didn't carry it, but one did at around $700 per month. Guess you know that I never got the script filled! :eek:

Geez........not a good idea to get ill in the States.

Karen
08-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Geez........not a good idea to get ill in the States.

Those of us who have health insurance generally get away with just paying whatever the "co-pay" is, not the full price. I checked one month, and there was a $700+ difference between what I paid in copays for my medication, and what I would pay without insurance.

And yes, I get generics whenever they are available. Laura, if you have a pharmacist that you trust, he or she may be able to find out, by calling the manufacturer's reps, what the difference is between Flo-nase and the generic. I - with all my allergies - have always used the generic with no trouble. But explain to the pharmacist that it caused an anaphlactic type reaction, so finding the answer is very important.

I have a pharmacist that I really trust - if the other one is on duty, I'll wait to ask my question until the good one is in.

wombat2u2004
08-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Those of us who have health insurance generally get away with just paying whatever the "co-pay" is, not the full price. I checked one month, and there was a $700+ difference between what I paid in copays for my medication, and what I would pay without insurance.

But you're paying for it one way or another.....yes ???
What's the difference between a person who pays for health insurance and gets discounted meds to someone who can't afford health insurance and has to pay full price for meds ????

pomtzu
08-10-2010, 06:54 AM
I am on Medicare, but do not have prescription coverage with them since that add-on is very expensive. With the few/next to none prescriptions that I take, it would be very cost inefficient for me. I have a little bit of a discount on drugs with my AARP membership, and I comparison shop, and most of the time fall into the 3 month/$10 deal that a lot of pharmacies offer.
That one for $1000 certainly wasn't the norm, and I was using that as an extreme example of drug charges. As it is, I get the Boniva quarterly I.V. (same thing as the Reclast once a year with less side effects), and since it has to be given by a doctor at an infusion center, then Medicare pays it since it is considered a treatment/procedure, and not just a prescription I can pick up at the pharmacy. That runs almost $1000 per treatment, but I never have to pay anything with Medicare and supplemental insurance.

snakemama
08-12-2010, 10:57 PM
I STRONGLY disagree with the statement that prescription drugs are just as good as name brand. I was taking Lamictal for some time, I got a generic refill to save some money, and within 48 hours I was covered in hives from the soles of my feet up to my waist and arms. It was AWFUL. My doctor said afterward that he sees reactions like that frequently when people switch to generic lamictal.

smokey the elder
08-13-2010, 10:09 AM
I'll put my pharma industry hat on for a minute...;)

Generics have to have the same active ingredient, but all the other stuff that makes a pill a pill are up for grabs. They have to be non-toxic, but allergic reactions do exist.

My observation is, the more potent the drug is (i.e. the lower the dose), OR the narrower the "window" of efficacy, the more likely that other other ingredients will affect what is called "bioavailability", or how the drug is actually used by the body. Synthroid is a classic example: it is very potent (25-200 micrograms; basically a speck) for dose. Also, just a little too much or too little can cause problems.

Also, did you know that the dose can vary by 10%? So, say you're on 100 micrograms of Synthroid. The range can be 90-110 mics. I think you can see the problem here.

/pharma hat off

Karen
08-13-2010, 12:30 PM
But you're paying for it one way or another.....yes ???
What's the difference between a person who pays for health insurance and gets discounted meds to someone who can't afford health insurance and has to pay full price for meds ????

That's easy - an simple accident or unexpected illness can bankrupt the person without health insurance. Health insurance means doctor visits, normal care and even emergency care are all covered by a small co-pay.

wombat2u2004
08-13-2010, 09:35 PM
That's easy - an simple accident or unexpected illness can bankrupt the person without health insurance. Health insurance means doctor visits, normal care and even emergency care are all covered by a small co-pay.

I dunno Karen.
It all seems to be a bit upside down to me, and benefits those who can afford to pay.

wombat2u2004
08-13-2010, 09:45 PM
I'll put my pharma industry hat on for a minute...;)

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae186/wombat2u2004/colbert-hat.jpg :p