PDA

View Full Version : Dorm gift ideas

pomtzu
08-07-2010, 02:44 PM
My granddaughter will be moving into her college dorm on 9/5, and her birthday is next week, so she's getting dorm gifts from me.
She has a lot already - her bedding and her personal bath stuff, etc. So far I have gotten her a set of bath towels, a mesh pop-up clothes hamper, a new designer laptop carry bag for her new laptop that her Dad is giving her for her b'day, a drink bottle and various Crystal Light drink packets, and a scented candle that she wanted. She can't burn the candle, but she can take the lid off and get the scent.
They aren't allowed any cooking appliances in their dorm rooms because of a deadly fire at a nearby college some years ago, that was caused by an appliance in a dorm room. She can have a fridge (which her roommate is bring and Tia is bringing her T.V.), but no microwaves, coffee pots, heating plates or the like. There are microwaves available for student use in a central area.
Any other ideas for some small things that I can get?

jennielynn1970
08-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Gift cards for local places to grab munchies and things like that.

Freedom
08-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Sorry, never lived in a dorm, can't help ya.

Grace
08-07-2010, 03:52 PM
The bookstore, at the college my youngest grandson will be attending, is run by Barnes & Noble. So is the one the oldest attends. If this is the case for your grand-daughter, a B&N gift card would be great.

At least my grandsons love getting them :)

pomtzu
08-07-2010, 04:06 PM
The bookstore, at the college my youngest grandson will be attending, is run by Barnes & Noble. So is the one the oldest attends. If this is the case for your grand-daughter, a B&N gift card would be great.

At least my grandsons love getting them :)

Great idea. I just checked her univ website, and you can purchase gift cards to the bookstore on line. :)

Cataholic
08-07-2010, 05:09 PM
A gift card from you for a monthly (or bi-monthly) delivery of snack foods? Beauty supplies (shampoo/conditioner, soaps, etc.).

I am going to college next month, too. I will accept anything from you. :)

caseysmom
08-07-2010, 05:30 PM
A beautiful framed photograph on Grandma for her bedside!

Asiel
08-07-2010, 06:02 PM
A digital clock for the bedside table unless she has one already. I think the gift card idea is a great one too. Spare slippers? Monthly pre-paid cards for her cell in case she wants to phone Gran with a few problems....lol? I think the idea of a framed picture of everyone is a good one too. Small manicure set, with file, small scissors, tweezers, etc. A small case with different coloured threads and needles in case she has to sew a loose button on in a jiffy or other little fixables.

Karen
08-07-2010, 07:20 PM
A little gift of knowledge - often you can save a whole lot of money by getting "required" books from either the university library, or a nearby town or college library, especially the "literature" types. Also used copies from the bookstore, or even Amazon.com can save a ton of $$.

If you are a baker, a homemade gift card redeemable for X care packages of brownies, cookies, or whatever her favorite is, to be redeemed throughout the year is also fun. And a few postcards prestamped and addressed to you or her parents ... just for fun.

pomtzu
08-08-2010, 07:12 AM
A gift card from you for a monthly (or bi-monthly) delivery of snack foods? Beauty supplies (shampoo/conditioner, soaps, etc.).

I am going to college next month, too. I will accept anything from you. :)

Beauty supplies - her mom is a very successful beautician and keeps her well supplied!

Johanna - I have something for you. A big pat on the back and an "atta girl" ! :D

A beautiful framed photograph on Grandma for her bedside!

Eww - to scare the mice away?

A digital clock for the bedside table unless she has one already. I think the gift card idea is a great one too. Spare slippers? Monthly pre-paid cards for her cell in case she wants to phone Gran with a few problems....lol? I think the idea of a framed picture of everyone is a good one too. Small manicure set, with file, small scissors, tweezers, etc. A small case with different coloured threads and needles in case she has to sew a loose button on in a jiffy or other little fixables.

Has a clock
Is on Dad's cell phone plan - unlimited calls and text
Manicure set - I'll check that one out - good idea
Needle and thread - don't know if she would know what to do with it
She has already made up a collage picture frame to take with her

A little gift of knowledge - often you can save a whole lot of money by getting "required" books from either the university library, or a nearby town or college library, especially the "literature" types. Also used copies from the bookstore, or even Amazon.com can save a ton of $$.

If you are a baker, a homemade gift card redeemable for X care packages of brownies, cookies, or whatever her favorite is, to be redeemed throughout the year is also fun. And a few postcards prestamped and addressed to you or her parents ... just for fun.

I like the homemade gift card idea

I need to see if she has a desk lamp too, and she needs a small fireproof and comb lock security box for any valuables such as her digital camera, I-pod, and other small items such as that.

And since she will only be a rather short distance away (about 2.5 hours), I'm sure she will be getting day visits occasionally (per her invitation only I hope :eek:), from her Mom and step-dad, and her Dad and stop-mom. :p

Laura's Babies
08-08-2010, 08:19 AM
A First Aid kit!

cassiesmom
08-08-2010, 06:45 PM
I started college at the very beginning of the Trivial Pursuit craze - having a set was a great ice breaker-friend maker. What about a game?

lvpets2002
08-09-2010, 11:14 AM
:) Hey I see College kids buy lots of differant sizes of the Plastic Containers at Walmart.. You know like plastic containers with lids on them.. She can put cloths, shoes & ect in them & then slid under her bed & or computer table..

sirrahbed
08-09-2010, 04:25 PM
https://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/college_snuggie_ontv.html

saw this on TV and thought of you:D

It was long ago but my favorite care packages had lots of snacks, soups, chips, candy, popcorn etc - to share with friends.

How about some of those scented oils with the wicks?

pomtzu
08-09-2010, 05:52 PM
I don't want to give her too much in the way of things that will take up room, since I don't know how big her dorm room is and how much space she will have to store things. All I know is that's it's a brand new dorm that was just finished, so she'll have a nice place anyway.

I just added a few more things to her goodie bag, and I think for now, that I'm done. Got some waterless hand sanatizer (so she doesn't have to leave her room just to wash her hands), 6 bags of microwave popcorn, I printed out some coupons redeemable for baked goods of her choice (when the weather cools and I start baking again), and a gift card to the campus book store. Of course I'll probably think of some more little things before she gets her gifts on Sunday, even tho I say I'm done! Her birthday is the 11th, but she won't be over till Sunday, and that's my grandson's birthday too (he'll be 14) - so it will be a double celebration - and of course double $$$ spent. They're worth it tho. :love::D

pomtzu
08-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Today is Tia's birthday, but she won't be over till Sunday for the celebration. I'll be glad when it gets here, because I keep thinking of more small items to add, and those small things are adding up!
I bought a huge gift bag and coordinating colored tissue paper to wrap the individual items in. It looked like I was wrapping a ton of Christmas gifts yesterday - there was a lot of loot!!! ;)
I've now added 6 pens, bottles of Tylenol tabs, Maalox tabs, and Immodium tabs. Oh - she'll use those, since she has a sensitive tummy like Grammy, and it tends to act up when she stresses even a little. Poor kid - I know she'll be stressing early on in this new experience - but hopefully she'll settle in, in no time flat! :)
To be continued, I'm sure. :eek: I just need to try to stay away from any stores in the next few days.....