PDA

View Full Version : Masters in Art Therapy Degree - Thinking about it..

CountryWolf07
08-05-2010, 12:40 PM
So, I've been thinking A LOT about going back to school, any grad school, hopefully on-line - to obtain my Masters in Art Therapy. I am pretty interested in it, and seems like it's the ideal job for me to go in, since I value art and communication as one. I always relied on it growing up due to my deafness, and I would like to give back to the community and help people through art. I notice the salary ranges from $30,000-$60,000 a year, but depends on where I am and if I'm involved with a local or private practice or in a hospital/nursing home.. So, I got to admit, it is scary! I don't know if I could handle going back, and endure it for two years just to get another degree... I've only been out for a year since OSU, and I feel like I would be happier to have another degree on my hands and hopefully help me land on a full time job as well, as long it is involved with art. So, does anyone here work in this field or know anyone in this field I could contact with and ask questions, somewhat get an advice or two about it? :)

Cataholic
08-06-2010, 10:05 AM
I am all for education. I am also all about gainful employment. I think of fields like psychology, education, library sciene...those degrees are great, but you need more to get gainful employment.

Have you researched an advanced degree in art therapy, and whether that really would pay off, job wise? How much you make is meaningless if there aren't any jobs to be had.

I might lean more towards a business advanced degree, as a way to 'marry' your passion for art with gainful employment. Or, maybe something along the lines of occupational therapy. BUT, I haven't ever researched the job market for people with Master's in Art Therapy.