PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe this..........

wombat2u2004
08-04-2010, 07:53 PM
This happened yesterday evening...........................
My daughters boyfriends family have a border collie named Nell, and they regularly take Nell out for a run. What they do is drive their car along and Nell chases the car :rolleyes:......that's how they exercise Nell.

Last night about 5pm, Mike (Aprils boyfriend) and his mother were driving along, with Nell in hot pursuit, and up comes a truck behind Nell, tooting his horn and yelling and carrying on about something (they couldn't hear what he said). Next thing, the truck stops, the driver gets out, loads Nell into his truck and takes off.........by the time Mike and his mum had turned their car around, the truck was gone.
I can't believe for the life of me how many brains this family must have.
Now, Nell is gone.
Are these people stoopid or what ????

Husky_mom
08-04-2010, 08:03 PM
I´ve seen a few folks "tire" their dogs like that.. especially high maintenance ones.. or ones that just never tire... if done properly and with care I see nothing wrong..

what I do see wrong is the guy taking the dog away.. why´d he do that?... perhaps he didn´t understood the dog/onwer running needs.. but taking a dog just like that.. :(

Catty1
08-04-2010, 08:13 PM
That dog was poofed in full view of the family that was STUPID to run their dog like that! It put the dog in a lot of danger!

I agree with what the guy did, and hope those idiots 'get it'! :mad:

Taz_Zoee
08-04-2010, 08:22 PM
It's a sad situation, but that's what they get. I might have done the same thing as that person in the truck. You don't exercise your dog with your car. You just don't. It's way too dangerous. Now, I'm a VERY lazy person, but I don't walk my dog that way.

wombat2u2004
08-05-2010, 06:47 AM
A good ending.
Nell was found in a town some 30 miles from here.
Whoever found her must have taken her to a vet to have her microchip read, as she didn't have a collar on her when taken. Mikes family were contacted, and they drove up there and picked her up this evening.
The truck driver probably dumped her. :mad:

moosmom
08-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Idiots!!:mad::mad:

Taz_Zoee
08-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Is there any chance this taught them a lesson?? Find another way to walk the darn dog!!!

Miranda_Rae
08-05-2010, 09:29 AM
WoW!!! dont even get me started on this subject! :mad: when I lived in Minot they used to do it all the time on our road. I even saw this guy run over HIS OWN DOG....poor dog. :mad: I was SOOOO mad. I dont understand why that guy would take the dog, unless he thought the dog was chasing the car, and did not know they were "exercising" their dog. Maybe he thought that he was protecting him. Weird. :confused: I hope they find their dog (even though it sounds to me they aren't very smart people).

Pawsitive Thinking
08-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Is there any chance this taught them a lesson?? Find another way to walk the darn dog!!!

My thoughts exactly

Catty1
08-05-2010, 10:26 AM
This also trains the dog to chase cars - very dangerous!

I'm wonder if the guy in the truck was just trying to teach them a lesson? From his yelling before, I would guess he was upset with what they were doing to Nell.

I hope they smarten up!

Karen
08-05-2010, 12:13 PM
If they really want to exercise the dog using the car, having it on a leash running next to the car is far safer, but I would only do if they can have two people, so the dog can run on the passenger side, with a person hanging on to the leash and paying attention to the dog, which can then be on the safer side with grass, etc.

Having the dog chase the car just seems like a very bad idea for many reasons. I am glad the dog is home and safe, and hope everyone learns from this!

pomtzu
08-05-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm wonder if the guy in the truck was just trying to teach them a lesson? From his yelling before, I would guess he was upset with what they were doing to Nell.

I was thinking the same thing. Either that, or he thought it was just a dog chasing a car, and he picked it up so that it wouldn't get hit on the road.

sparks19
08-05-2010, 12:23 PM
I dont understand why that guy would take the dog, unless he thought the dog was chasing the car, and did not know they were "exercising" their dog. Maybe he thought that he was protecting him. Weird. :confused: I hope they find their dog (even though it sounds to me they aren't very smart people).

This is what I thought too. If I saw someone driving and the dog chasing after the car I wouldn't think "Oh that must be his dumb arse lazy owners" I would think the dog got loose and was chasing cars. especially since the dog wasn't wearing a collar?

Yeah I probably would have put the dog in my van and taken it to the shelter or vet to get microchipped too

Asiel
08-05-2010, 06:55 PM
I agree with Karen about exercising the dog on leash after it had been trained properly to follow along at a safe slow speed on a very quiet street. If anyone has ever read the book that the Monks of New Skete have written, this is the way they exercised their Shepherds, sometimes from the back of a truck also but with someone holding a leash. We've also used this method and never had a problem.
But to let the dog "chase" the car is sheer stupidity. We took in a rescue GS and the elderly couple who had owned her had let her chase visitors cars when they left so the dog could get exercised. They lived on a private road and the dog always came back. But it did teach the dog to chase cars and when we were talking with one of our neighbours one day the dog spotted a car coming and tore the lead out of my hands and charged the car....yes it did get hit broadside. Luckily it only suffered a fractured tooth but this habit could never be broken.

sana
08-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Poor Nell, I hope he didn't suffer much. This is a sad story, but thank God it ended happily. Nell's owners mustn't exercise him like this anymore. Its so dangerous.

wombat2u2004
08-05-2010, 08:04 PM
I was talking to Mike about it last night. He's pretty sure that the truck driver knew that the dog was being taken for a run, but because Mike and his mum were driving along pretty slowly with Nell in the middle of the road behind them, the truck driver got upset because he had to drive slow to.
According to mike he was tooting his horn and with head out of the window was screaming and swearing at them.

Catty1
08-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Well, that's still dangerous, and holds up traffic as well. Roads - especially the middle of the lane - are for vehicles, not for dogs (unless they are IN the vehicle).

sparks19
08-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Well, that's still dangerous, and holds up traffic as well. Roads - especially the middle of the lane - are for vehicles, not for dogs (unless they are IN the vehicle).

agreed.

It's dangerous for everyone on the road and the dog and it's selfish to take up the road like that. the road is for driving not exercising your dog.

Yeah the driver probably shouldn't have taken the dog but then again I'm not sure others wouldn't have done the same thing seeing a dog put in such a situation.

in the end... it was the owners that put that dog in the position for that to happen and they are just lucky that was all that happened and not something much worse