PDA

View Full Version : Male or female?

Kirsten
10-23-2002, 12:46 PM
Do you have a male or a female cat - or both of it? Is it that you prefer having a boy respectively a girl or doesn't it make a difference to you?

Thought it would be interesting to find out! :)

BTW, I always had females so far!

Kirsten

lynnestankard
10-23-2002, 12:51 PM
I have two boys and one girl - love 'em all to bits. Had boys and girls at different time of my life. Makes no difference at all to me which sex they are.

Lynne

neko1
10-23-2002, 12:54 PM
I have 2 boys and 2 girls. Then boys are definately more laid back. The girls tend to get cranky (must be p.m.s.)

Glacier
10-23-2002, 01:18 PM
I have three boys and three girls. My hissy, spitty cat is a female, but it's not really her fault. My cuddle cats are one female(ivy) and one male (onyx). It never really mattered to me what sex they were when I got them. Most of them just showed up anyway!

wolflady
10-23-2002, 01:32 PM
I have two boys and they are pretty laid back type of guys also. :D

boscibo
10-23-2002, 01:41 PM
I have 2 girls and one boy. Abby (F) is a priss, and can get crabby. She's also rather bossy.

Bo (M) is a snuggler and a lover. Very mellow, not much bothers him.

Hanna (F) is very snuggly and lovey too, she latched onto Bo after I brought her home. She is still a kitten, but I hope she stays lovey.

Edwina's Secretary
10-23-2002, 01:44 PM
I have a female and that was by choice. Had a bad experience when I was a teenager with a male who "sprayed" a suede coat of mine which I had saved and saved my hard-earned $ to buy.

That odor NEVER came out.

Vermontcat
10-23-2002, 01:58 PM
I have a female and that is my preference for 2 reasons. Like Edwina's secretary said, no spraying problems and the other reason is to even up the male/female ratio in the house.:)

Cataholic
10-23-2002, 02:20 PM
I have three of each...

Texas is way male- the king, the boss, and controller.
Georgia- is a peachy kind of gal- very loving- if you are laying down.
Tennie is a big baby boy- he is a lovedozer (kinda like a bull dozer, but softer), and nothing gets to him.
Allie is a bratty girl- very affectionate- very bad. She is about as laid back as the water coming over Niagra Falls.
Dakkie is perhaps the biggest baby in the world. If Tenny is a lovedozer, Dakky is an lovesubmarine. Nothing stops him from loving (or eating :D ). He takes the love right out from under the others.
Then, there is Minnie. She wants to be a lover, but can't right now, cause she is so scared.

I don't care what they are, as long as they are happy, healthy, and black and white:cool:

Glacier
10-23-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
II don't care what they are, as long as they are happy, healthy, and black and white:cool:

You need to move up here. The dominant cat gene up here is black and white. The shelter is over run with black and white babies. They tend to take a very long time to get adopted as they are so common. Everyone wants something more unusual. Our shelter would love you!:D

Chinadoll
10-23-2002, 02:43 PM
2 males and 1 female kitties

I have ferrets and have more males than females. I love my females but prefer the boy ferts because they are more laid back and cuddable(I know not a word but it works for me!) The female ferts that I've had experience with are more hyper and nippier.

It's the opposite with cats. My boys are more hyper and my baby girl is a cuddler. Of course it all depends on the personality of the pet and sex really doesn't matter, I just found it intriguing the differences in personalities between my male and female ferrets and my male and female cats.

jenluckenbach
10-23-2002, 02:47 PM
I cheated: I voted male because they are BY FAR my favorite! But I actually have both, 8 males and 3 females.

sasvermont
10-23-2002, 02:57 PM
2 males and 1 female

Graemer - lovey dovey kinda cat. Loves to be held like a baby.

Miley - Graemer's litter sister. I call her Sybil because she has so many different personalities and dispositions.

Gabe - a NJ kitty - kinda bratty, but a big ball of fluff inside and out. He just acts tough. He is one big scardie cat!

I prefer the male cats to the females, although I have has some wonderful female cats in the past. They don't seem to adjust as nicely to visitors and new pets, as the male cats do.

I love em all.:cool:

Logan
10-23-2002, 03:06 PM
Personally, on the occasions that I have been able to "choose", which is two times, total, I have chosen females. I wanted to avoid the "spraying" issues that might happen with males.

Shrimp Boat and Mimi were perfect ladies. I miss Shrimp Boat still :( . Mimi still keeps me happy after over 13 years together.

Butter just came. And he was ALL BOY and still is, but I couldn't love him more (well, maybe I could), but he has never sprayed anything, never messed in my house, and I think he is pretty well behaved for the most part. (Can't believe I just said that!!! I must love him lots!!)

Logan

Cataholic
10-23-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Glacier

You need to move up here. The dominant cat gene up here is black and white. The shelter is over run with black and white babies. They tend to take a very long time to get adopted as they are so common. Everyone wants something more unusual. Our shelter would love you!:D

OHHHHH...you are in very big trouble. Just wait until Grasshopper, Tuxluvr, VermontCat, just to name a few, see this message...Black and whites are NOT common...you must be confusing your words...and you must mean commonly loved the mostest! :D :D

NoahsMommy
10-23-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Glacier

oooh oooooh oooooh! Send them down here!! :)

We have two boys and a girl. I love them all for their different personalities. Noah is our first boy...very laid back and likes loving...even on my terms. Noel, our girl, likes loving when SHE wants it...but is a lap cat. ;) Basil on the other hand is a HUGE love bug. So sweet...but not totally laid back, he's still in his needy stage. :)

Randi
10-23-2002, 04:42 PM
Mine is a big boy - Fister. He was born in our backyard and we just couldn't resist him. He was fixed before we got him and over a year old when we took him up. He's very laid back now.

Cataholic
10-23-2002, 04:47 PM
I didn't know Fister was 'pre-owned'??? I thought you and John captivated (not to be confused with captured, k?) him, and brought him into your world? I know he was born by his momma cat in your yard, but, who else had him?:confused: :confused:

Miss Meow
10-23-2002, 05:52 PM
We have one of each, which is a nice mix. They get along well together. Mini the boy is a mummy's boy while Jasmine is a bit more independent. If we get more cats (please please please!) then we'll try for one more of each or two boys.

Fuzzy317
10-23-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by neko1
I have 2 boys and 2 girls. Then boys are definately more laid back. The girls tend to get cranky (must be p.m.s.)

Were you looking at my house? :confused: its exactly the same at our house with our cats. The foster cat we have is upsetting the girls, Rosie especially. :(

Vermontcat
10-23-2002, 08:36 PM
You seem to have a big place with plenty of room for pets. How about you adopt about a dozen of those black and white cats and make a mini sled team with them!:D I think the black and whites must just be hardy breeding stock for the cold weather you have.:)

Felicia's Mom
10-23-2002, 09:01 PM
I have one of each. They have been together for over 10 years, and Felicia still hisses at Beau like she never saw him before.

Glacier
10-23-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Vermontcat
You seem to have a big place with plenty of room for pets. How about you adopt about a dozen of those black and white cats and make a mini sled team with them!:D I think the black and whites must just be hardy breeding stock for the cold weather you have.:)

LOL, I would LOVE to take them all home, but my husband might leave. He's very understanding, but even he has his limits. I have one solid black boy who didn't get adopted for months and a little black and white girlie who was a stray. She'd love to be on the sled team. I think she'd like to ride in the sled and meow the commands!

Glacier
10-23-2002, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic

Black and whites are NOT common...you must be confusing your words...and you must mean commonly loved the mostest! :D :D

Oh, yes that's what I meant...no such thing as a common cat!!

krazyaboutkatz
10-23-2002, 11:20 PM
I have 3 males. They are all very lovey dovey and get along quite well with each other. I also prefer males to females because they are more easy going and seem to accept other cats more easily. :) When I was looking for a cat I didn't care what the sex was and Storm just happened to pick me. Then when I adopted Pepper there were only males available. When I adopted Sunny, I was looking for another male because by this time I had fallen in love with male cats. I also thought that another male would get along better with Storm and Pepper. :) I was right. It only took 3 days for Storm to accept him and 5 days for Pepper to accept him. Now all 3 are the best of friends. :)

jenluckenbach
10-24-2002, 05:48 AM
For all you skeptics, (afraid males will spray), I have had 10 males in the last 20 years and the closest I ever came to this problem was that one boy would not squat when he peed. He was in the litter box, but he stood up. I countered that problem with covered boxes so his pee wold hit the back wall and run into the box.
I have definitely found that males are more loving and accepting of other cats. And more loving towards the human population, as well. My females have always been aloof or shy or persnikety. Out of 5 females in the past 20 years, I only had 1 that was a lap cat.
Just my experience, though.

yumyum6970
10-24-2002, 07:24 AM
I have two girls and they both take after their daddy (stuborn). :D

Cataholic
10-24-2002, 10:06 AM
I agree with JLB- I have NEVER had a male that sprayed...the closest I got was my big haired male, Tenny...he sometimes has problems navigating the box with his rudder (tail), and little poops fall over the side..he he he...:D

And, generally, I do find the males more loving- the girls seem more aloof, but even my two girls Allie and Georgie can love up a storm in a second..

-Panther-
10-24-2002, 10:19 AM
I have both :)
2 females and one male, I was planning to have one more male, but now I'm not sure, because our male Narri is the king of the house ;)

But..I'm getting one more cat for sure..not sure if it'll be a male or a female.

Cataholic
10-24-2002, 12:14 PM
So (Pink) Panther....when is the baby cat "due"???

rosethecopycat
10-24-2002, 12:56 PM
Me? I likes the boys!

Never had a girl cat. Fear of the unknown I guess. My mom has two sweet girls that will come down and visit their 'boyfriends' at Christmas. Don't worry, all fixed. Except I wonder about Mr. Jones sometimes, he the one who humps my ankle three times a day.
:eek:

Gotta love 'em all!

Rosethecopycat

-Panther-
10-24-2002, 01:11 PM
Not sure yet when, but as soon as we find "the one" kitten from a "shelter" :)

Actually there is one 6 months old male, long-haired, beautiful boy http://smilies.networkessence.net/otn/love/luvlove.gif

Hmm..I might go tomorrow and ask if he is still available ;) But the only problem is that our little Nougat is still not spayed . Got to think about this..

Cataholic
10-24-2002, 01:25 PM
I think, generally, the babies from the shelters come already spayed, if it is medically feasible. So, even tho Nougat isn't spayed (why not?) the little bly probably will be! Go tonight!!!! Another baby, yippee!

jenluckenbach
10-24-2002, 03:29 PM
New kitty???!!???? Did someone say new kitty???!!!???

Pam
10-25-2002, 09:47 PM
I have two boys and they are the only kitties I have ever had so I have absolutely no comparisons to make here. I will say that they are both very laid back, and Andy in particular couldn't be more of a lovebug. Neither has ever sprayed either. I guess I am just one lucky gal!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-28-2002, 06:36 PM
I have one of each, and that is totally by chance, as neither kitty was planned on my part - I just take them as they come. ;) :D

The Cat Factory
10-28-2002, 06:59 PM
I have 5 girls and 6 boys :)