PDA

View Full Version : Ever Get the Shakes??

Anikaca77
08-02-2010, 12:12 PM
HI All-

I was wondering how many of you have ever experienced shaky hands and feeling all over trembles.

I've had this for a pretty long time, and it doesn't happen all the time. Usually before lunch time or in the morning.

I was doing some research and I'm wondering if it's too much caffeine or not but at times that doesn't make sense since I tend to drink caffeine over the weekends and I don't always get this.

I'm having it again at this moment, the shaky hands, feeling of overall a slight tremble so I did call the doctor just to see if they could run a blood test without having to go in for an appt. yeah that was just a dream, they want to see me so I have an appt. set up for 9:15 am on Wed.

I'm just thinking everytime they thought I was diabetic but my levels were always good.

Who knows...any suggestions?

Thanks,
Melissa

lvpets2002
08-02-2010, 12:16 PM
:) Yes if I have not eaten all day - then I get the shakes.. I also get it real bad when I am having a anxiety attack of some sort..

Catherinedana
08-02-2010, 12:18 PM
You might be getting a drop in blood sugar - doesn't mean you're diabetic. I get it sometimes when I don't eat regularly. I also get a very cold nose when it happens! If you can't get food right away, drink a glass of juice to help you along until you can eat.

pomtzu
08-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Yes - I too sometimes get a crash in blood sugar, yet am not diabetic. I get shaky and light-headed and sick to my stomach. It's usually associated with my not so regular eating habits, and if I eat something or drink some juice, it usually remedies the situation.

ETA: What I used to do while I was still working - I always kept a granola bar or a small pack of cookies in my desk drawer in case it hit me at work. Not a bad idea to carry something like this in your purse also, should it hit you while you're driving!

Freedom
08-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Most often that is a low blood sugar reaction. You didn't eat enough, or were more active than usual, or both!

Just eat something with some simple carbohydrates in it: 6 ounces of orange juice, 5 life savers candies. That will help you for 20 to 30 minutes -- just long enough to arrange a proper meal.

Anikaca77
08-02-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm feeling semi-better now.

Here's the weird part is I had plenty of b-fast and lunch yeah I did get hungry before I was able to eat but I just don't know. I'm still feeling a little weird at the moment but I'm sure that will pass.

Maybe I had too much sugar this morning or something. I can never seem to pin point exactly why or how to not let this happen again.

I now have a bit of headache but I'll get over that. Just wacky how this happens. I sometimes wonder if it's this fat free cap. drink that I have in the morning but then I have more than the 2 cups on the weekend usually and I don't get like this.

Maybe I just need to do better planning on what to eat or something. I figured I may just go in and talk with the pa and let her know what's up to see if they might just want to check my thyroid since I haven't had that checked in over a year and I'm on meds for it but I don't know really what they do for me.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

smokey the elder
08-02-2010, 02:19 PM
It sounds like your basic hypoglycemia, but shaking hands can come from other things, so you should talk to your doctor.

lvpets2002
08-02-2010, 03:29 PM
:) Yes I so aggree.. Talk to a Doctor.. Now may I ask could you be Pregnant??

It sounds like your basic hypoglycemia, but shaking hands can come from other things, so you should talk to your doctor.

Anikaca77
08-02-2010, 08:32 PM
:) Yes I so aggree.. Talk to a Doctor.. Now may I ask could you be Pregnant??

I wish....although I know with our situation it just isn't possible. I have to stay on continuous birth control pills so I don't get a period in order to stop cramping and to keep my endometriosis calm or hopefully calm. I just finished my 6 month lupron injection which put me through menopause. I was 23-24 when I went through my first 6 months of lupron and now I'm 30 and I went through it again. They are hoping by stopping my periods like this it will keep the endo from growing hopefully.

Also, with my back issues, if I put more weight on my back even if it is just for 9 months I just don't know how much damage I could do...plus then there is lifting a child up and down and I'm now on a 20 lb. weight limit. :(

I'm just glad I can lift my cats, there are days I can't if I'm having a bad day but luckily lately I've been doing much better.

I had a vet appt. tonight and I was home by 6:15 p.m. and I grabbed a quick snack but that wasn't enough, I still got the shakes. Not sure what my deal is. Maybe I just need to learn to relax :)

Melissa

DriftyAlison0
08-02-2010, 08:50 PM
It could be hyperglacemia(spelling) or low blood sugar. I tend to get the shakes too at times and my mom gets it bad and she has low blood sugar. So it could be that.

momcat
08-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Sounds a lot like low blood sugar. I'm on insulin and this happens no matter how careful I am about eating. Ask your doctor about keeping a bottle of glucose tablets within reach and taking one or two when this hits. You can find them in just about any pharmacy. They're not a substitute for eating but will help you feel better until you can get to some food. Of course your doctor has the final word on using them (don't need a prescription).

K9karen
08-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Yup! I get that way too, with an urge to pass out. I must get a weird look on my face, 'cause John yells "You're blood sugar is low!" I sometimes don't even feel hungry. If I can't get to food right away, I drink a bottle of water, which I always carry. It's scary. I get jittery with too much caffeine, but not woosey. I was told by the doc to eat small meals throughout the day.

Anikaca77
08-03-2010, 07:17 AM
Yup! I get that way too, with an urge to pass out. I must get a weird look on my face, 'cause John yells "You're blood sugar is low!" I sometimes don't even feel hungry. If I can't get to food right away, I drink a bottle of water, which I always carry. It's scary. I get jittery with too much caffeine, but not woosey. I was told by the doc to eat small meals throughout the day.

I try to eat small meals throughout the day as well, and I have snacks which I do as well but it's just seeming to happen more frequent. I'm going to keep track of what I'm eating, I'm supposed to be doing that anyway since I had lap-band surgery in March 09.

I try not to have too much sugar and I thought a protein bar would of been plenty yesterday along with my snack but maybe the caffeine was too much or something. This morning I'm drinking Sheetz so hopefully it won't happen.

Thanks,
Melissa

Anikaca77
08-03-2010, 07:21 AM
Sounds a lot like low blood sugar. I'm on insulin and this happens no matter how careful I am about eating. Ask your doctor about keeping a bottle of glucose tablets within reach and taking one or two when this hits. You can find them in just about any pharmacy. They're not a substitute for eating but will help you feel better until you can get to some food. Of course your doctor has the final word on using them (don't need a prescription).

Thank you I will check. I brought some juice to work today just incase it would happen again.

Thanks!
Melissa

kokopup
08-03-2010, 09:33 AM
It sounds like a blood sugar problem to me also.

I have a crash every morning after eating Breakfast but mine is the result of
my Blood pressure dropping very low. I have Baroreflex failure which is failure of the feedback sensors for blood pressure. This is so rare I doubt this being
a problem for you.

If you have a friend that is diabetic you might get them to check your blood sugar during one of your episodes.

Anikaca77
08-03-2010, 09:42 AM
It sounds like a blood sugar problem to me also.

I have a crash every morning after eating Breakfast but mine is the result of
my Blood pressure dropping very low. I have Baroreflex failure which is failure of the feedback sensors for blood pressure. This is so rare I doubt this being
a problem for you.

If you have a friend that is diabetic you might get them to check you blood sugar during one of your episodes.

Thanks, I'm sorry to hear about you have a crash every morning, I don't know if I could image it happening that much.

I actually don't know anyone who has it that's near me. I thought about going up to the doctors yesterday while I was having one but they can't see you unless you make an appt.

Thanks!

kokopup
08-03-2010, 10:54 AM
You can buy a inexpensive meter at Walmart for $12 to $18 dollars. This may be a good investment that will take away the guess work, since you can check you own sugar levels. This site can give you instructions on how to use your meter. I hope you can get the answers you need. Good luck.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046889.php

Asiel
08-03-2010, 12:46 PM
It reminds me of a lot of things it could be so going to the doctor's is probably your best option. Don't get into guessing games with yourself, a good diagnosis is worth a thousand guesses. Do you have any numbness or weakness with the shaking ?

Anikaca77
08-03-2010, 01:58 PM
It reminds me of a lot of things it could be so going to the doctor's is probably your best option. Don't get into guessing games with yourself, a good diagnosis is worth a thousand guesses. Do you have any numbness or weakness with the shaking ?

I feel weak when I get the shakes but no numbness. I will be seeing the dr. tomorrow morning and the more I was reading up on what kokopup send through it reminded me of a drink that the had me do for a test to see if my sugar level was good I think and everything turned out well.

They always thought I had diabetes because I was always thrusty and I'm overweight. So far nothing :)

Anikaca77
08-04-2010, 12:56 PM
I went to the docs today...they said it seems like my sugar levels must be low at those times and she is ordering a round of blood tests to check everything to make sure everything is working well and she will call me with the results. Of course I'll need to fast for 8 hours :) yeah me!!

They did give me a free One Touch Ultra 2 with 9 free test strips, we had to try it out today.

So I'm going to keep it with me and if I feel funny I'll take my blood and see. I might try to do what that one website recommended just to see how my levels do change.

Melissa

momcat
08-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Hi Melissa,
I'm relieved to know that you've had a chance to talk to your doctor about this. As for the test strips for the glucometer, you might want to see if the strips are covered by your insurance as they can be pretty expensive. If you don't have insurance or they won't cover the test strips, consider contacting the company to see if they have a program to help with the cost.

Please be assured that you have my full support, prayers and positive thoughts for the tests to go well. If I can be of any help to you, don't hesitate to pm me. I'm always here for you!

smokey the elder
08-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Another thing that can cause shakiness is hyperthyroidism; I hope he's checking you out for that as well.