PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid T.V's - junk!

pomtzu
08-01-2010, 12:01 PM
I had bought a small Polaroid flat panel t.v. for my bedroom, and in under a year (still under warranty), the picture went out. Still had sound, but a blank, black screen. So they had me return it to them, and they replaced it with a brand new one since they aren't worth fixing. Now the same thing has happened to the replacement which is just out of warranty, so I'm now s.o.l. :mad:

They might know cameras, but they sure as heck don't know t.v.'s. Just a "beware", for anyone that might consider buying this brand. Don't waste your money!

caseysmom
08-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Where did you buy it? They might give you some help. I would try calling even though its out of warranty.

pomtzu
08-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Where did you buy it? They might give you some help. I would try calling even though its out of warranty.

Got it at Walmart, so they would be useless. Now if it had been Best Buy or some other electronics store, I might stand a chance, but Walmart could give a rat's backside! :eek:

caseysmom
08-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Oh darn....a lesson learned I suppose.

pomtzu
08-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Oh darn....a lesson learned I suppose.

I'm going to give Polaroid a call tomorrow and see if they'll do anything. Nothing ventured - nothing gained.......

caseysmom
08-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Good idea...I have a sony I bought in 87....its huge but it still works!

pomtzu
08-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Good idea...I have a sony I bought in 87....its huge but it still works!

Forget that call to Polaroid - I can only find paperwork on the original purchase, so judging from that date - the replacement is probably closer to about 18 months old, and not just over 12. It just gripes me no end tho - pretty expensive t.v. when you consider how long I actually got to use it.

But I won't be without a t.v. in my room tho. There are 2 perfectly good "old style" ones in the storage room, so my son is going to set one up for me later today. I just liked the flat panel since it was so sleek and weighed next to nothing, and I could actually move the t.v. stand to clean under and behind it. These other oldies weigh a ton! So when I get around to buying another flat - it definitely WON'T be a Polaroid. :eek: The 2 big monster flat panels we have in the living room and family room are JVC and Sony, and both of those have never been a minute's trouble.

Alysser
08-01-2010, 10:15 PM
You should buy one at Costco if you have the membership, they have fabulous customer service and I believe they have separate warranties for electronics. :)

kokopup
08-02-2010, 07:31 AM
pomtzu

Forget that call to Polaroid - I can only find paperwork on the original purchase, so judging from that date - the replacement is probably closer to about 18 months old, and not just over 12. It just gripes me no end tho - pretty expensive t.v. when you consider how long I actually got to use it.

It probably wouldn't do any good to contact Polaroid even if you had the paper work. They filed for Bankruptcy in 2009 and are now owned by a totally different holding company.

This new holding company is the sponsor for Nascar # 42 driven by an Juan Pablo Montoya.

The problem you had with your LCD is a common problem because of poor components used in the China manufacturing process.

smokey the elder
08-02-2010, 08:08 AM
You'd be better off spending a bit more coin and getting a real brand, like Sony or LG.

pomtzu
08-02-2010, 08:42 AM
I'm not in the market for a new one right now, with Christmas shopping not too far away. I have one of the old sets back up in my room, so as long as I have a t.v., I'm fine. I'll let my son pick out one for me when I get around to getting another, and it will be a good one, since he is an electronics guru and up on what's good and what's not. I should have paid attention when he nixed Polaroid! :eek: